Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 27.08%
No 237 72.92%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #12081  
Old 07.03.2018, 21:13
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,007
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,320 Times in 6,465 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Who really thinks that Kushner's clearance (or lack of it) means anything to Trump? As the president, he can declassify anything he wants just by opening his mouth. He can leave Kushner in his job, with his secret clearance, and still share top secret stuff if he wants.
True. Additional problem though: By the time Trump has pressed the information into his limited vocabulary - it's probably useless.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #12082  
Old 07.03.2018, 21:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,143
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,563 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Who really thinks that Kushner's clearance (or lack of it) means anything to Trump? As the president, he can declassify anything he wants just by opening his mouth. He can leave Kushner in his job, with his secret clearance, and still share top secret stuff if he wants.
I do not see Trump as the type of person who will dedicate part of every day simply to keep Kushner up to date on the latest secret info.
Consequently Kushner will always be floating in an uncertain zone between full knowledge and partial knowledge which will impact his ability to propose viable/sensible strategies.

The basic rule is the White House requests security level clearances appropriate to people's roles so they must have deemed Kushner needed the highest level for his role therefore without this highest level his effectiveness will be compromised?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #12083  
Old 07.03.2018, 21:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 74 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,313 Times in 542 Posts
reids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond reputereids has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
It was from 2014. He wasn't doin' a presidenting at that time.
He ain't a presidentin nowadays neither, ah don't rightly know what he be doin, but neither do he.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank reids for this useful post:
  #12084  
Old 08.03.2018, 08:39
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,819
Groaned at 2,029 Times in 1,117 Posts
Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,201 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

the white house says Trump did not have a " Stormy " affair. But what does Trump say?
Reply With Quote
  #12085  
Old 08.03.2018, 10:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
the white house says Trump did not have a " Stormy " affair. But what does Trump say?
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman".
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12086  
Old 08.03.2018, 22:33
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,143
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,563 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trump today officially announced steep tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, defying his own party and delivering on a campaign promise to fight what he sees as unfair practices by U.S. trading partners.

Trump signed paperwork enacting tariffs of 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum during a hastily arranged event at the White House.

Trump temporarily exempted Canada and Mexico from the tariffs, arguing his administration would continue talks with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners.

There were some weasel words about other countries will be able to make their case as to why they should be exempt from the tariffs and what they will do to shore up their national security relationship with the United States.
Exactly what that means is not clear

US stock markets and futures are up a little afterwards.

Edit: No GOP Congress members were at this White House announcement
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work

Last edited by marton; 08.03.2018 at 22:43.
Reply With Quote
  #12087  
Old 08.03.2018, 22:35
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,289
Groaned at 72 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 16,703 Times in 7,568 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
...There were some weasel words about other countries will be able to make their case as to why they should be exempt from the tariffs and what they will do to shore up their national security relationship with the United States.
Exactly what that means is not clear
I think this is a carrot and stick scenario. The stick is big, so he's given countries 15 days to offer concessions or solutions to help reduce the trade deficits. He has to throw in the national security language in order to give this a chance to stand up in any court.
Reply With Quote
  #12088  
Old 08.03.2018, 22:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,143
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,563 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I think this is a carrot and stick scenario. The stick is big, so he's given countries 15 days to offer concessions or solutions to help reduce the trade deficits. He has to throw in the national security language in order to give this a chance to stand up in any court.
If the countries have any sense they will announce counter tariffs to be able to force to negotiate on a level playing field; otherwise they cede the high ground to Trump
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #12089  
Old 08.03.2018, 23:02
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman".
Just what is the meaning of the word "is"?
Reply With Quote
  #12090  
Old 08.03.2018, 23:03
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,007
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,320 Times in 6,465 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I think this is a carrot and stick scenario. The stick is big, so he's given countries 15 days to offer concessions or solutions to help reduce the trade deficits. He has to throw in the national security language in order to give this a chance to stand up in any court.
It seems unprofessional childplay to me. "Look what I can do, now what are you gonna give me if I don't?" It's not gonna work - at least not the way he thinks it will.

Quote:
View Post
If the countries have any sense they will announce counter tariffs to be able to force to negotiate on a level playing field; otherwise they cede the high ground to Trump
I'm sure they will.
And it's all gonna be a big mess. But the consumers will pay for it. That's us.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #12091  
Old 09.03.2018, 00:04
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,143
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,563 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It seems unprofessional childplay to me. "Look what I can do, now what are you gonna give me if I don't?" It's not gonna work - at least not the way he thinks it will.


I'm sure they will.
And it's all gonna be a big mess. But the consumers will pay for it. That's us.
Maybe the GOP will pay too?

Quote:
Billionaire conservative megadonor Charles Koch slammed President Donald Trump’s announced plans to impose fresh tariffs on steel and aluminum imports in a Washington Post op-ed.

Koch brothers' (Charles and David) network plan to spend up to $400 million for the 2018 midterm election cycle to support GOP candidates – including $20 million to sell the GOP tax law
Source

If the Koch brothers' have any sense they will forget about the 2018 midterm election cycle where the GOP are historically doomed anyway and save their money to influence the 2020 Presidential election.
Reply With Quote
  #12092  
Old 09.03.2018, 01:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,143
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,563 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

China has been asked to develop a plan for the year of a One Billion Dollar reduction in their massive Trade Deficit with the United States. Our relationship with China has been a very good one, and we look forward to seeing what ideas they come back with. We must act soon!
The U.S. trade deficit with China was $375 billion in 2017.
It is claimed the Chinese said if Donald Trump only wants a One Billion Dollar reduction then they will pay it out of their pocket money
Reply With Quote
  #12093  
Old 09.03.2018, 01:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,630
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
LIVE: Kim Jong Un to meet Trump by May
https://news.sky.com/story/live-sout...korea-11281879 For an arm wrestle???

Quote:
View Post
There were some weasel words about other countries will be able to make their case as to why they should be exempt from the tariffs and what they will do to shore up their national security relationship with the United States.
Exactly what that means is not clear
This?
Quote:
It remained unclear if the EU, including Britain, would be targeted as Mr Trump said "flexibility and co-operation" would be shown to friendly countries linked, in part, to military co-operation.
https://news.sky.com/story/trump-tar...e-war-11281627 Feels like extortion.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #12094  
Old 09.03.2018, 06:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trump getting shit done. Again.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12095  
Old 09.03.2018, 07:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump getting shit done. Again.
Good for him - important that the elderly keep their dietary fibre levels up...

#winningatpooing
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12096  
Old 09.03.2018, 07:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump today officially announced steep tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, defying his own party and delivering on a campaign promise to fight what he sees as unfair practices by U.S. trading partners.

Trump signed paperwork enacting tariffs of 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum during a hastily arranged event at the White House.

Trump temporarily exempted Canada and Mexico from the tariffs, arguing his administration would continue talks with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners.

There were some weasel words about other countries will be able to make their case as to why they should be exempt from the tariffs and what they will do to shore up their national security relationship with the United States.
Exactly what that means is not clear

US stock markets and futures are up a little afterwards.

Edit: No GOP Congress members were at this White House announcement
Here you can find all the tariffs the EU imposes. How are Trump tariffs bad and EU tariffs good?

http://madb.europa.eu/madb/euTariffs.htm
Reply With Quote
  #12097  
Old 09.03.2018, 10:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,143
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,563 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Here you can find all the tariffs the EU imposes. How are Trump tariffs bad and EU tariffs good?

http://madb.europa.eu/madb/euTariffs.htm
EU tariffs protect jobs in the EU, Trump tariffs will destroy jobs in the EU.
Next question?
Reply With Quote
  #12098  
Old 09.03.2018, 10:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump getting shit done. Again.
Trump not getting arm-wrestling done and not realising man's dad was still alive.

I'll say it again, I still can't tell if his presidency is real, and he is this useless, or if he's actually part of the biggest prank in history.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12099  
Old 09.03.2018, 10:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
EU tariffs protect jobs in the EU, Trump tariffs will destroy jobs in the EU.
Next question?
And if EU tariffs destroy jobs in the US? Or elsewhere?
Reply With Quote
  #12100  
Old 09.03.2018, 10:31
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,310
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,606 Times in 5,006 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump getting shit done. Again.
NK has been courting the US for decades and wariness has always prevailed, let's hope Trump hasn't just delivered a massive propaganda coup to the Rocket Man

Quote:
‘An incredible coup for Kim’
Jeffrey Lewis, director of the east Asia nonproliferation program at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies:

“This is literally the end of a North Korean movie – North Korea develops nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles, compelling the US president to come to Pyongyang,” said Lewis, referring to a series called The Country I Saw.

“It’s an incredible coup for Kim. The message is that Saddam and Gaddafi disarmed. They are dead,” he said. “Kim finished the nuclear weapons program. He gets a summit with the president of the United States.

“We should be talking to Pyongyang, but you don’t frontload the big concession.”

Source
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
marton
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0