Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 61 26.99%
No 165 73.01%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #12521  
Old 05.04.2018, 16:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,496
Groaned at 224 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 8,212 Times in 4,428 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Seems some State Governors are saying they will refuse to send their National Guard troops to the Mexico border to control immigration.
Do they have that power? I suppose it would finish up in Court about the relevance of the PCA Act?

Do the States have to pay for the deployment or does the Federation have to pay?
Wha..? Is Trump afraid of 1000 illegal immigrants? Germany, the size of Montana, received a million not long ago...
Reply With Quote
  #12522  
Old 05.04.2018, 17:02
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 215 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 13,223 Times in 5,431 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Wha..? Is Trump afraid of 1000 illegal immigrants? Germany, the size of Montana, received a million not long ago...
There are nearly 12 million undocumented immigrants (includes visa overstays) in the USA.

Whatever his motives, Trump wants to stop any more from arriving, whether it's 1 or 100,000. Calling out the National Guard makes good political capital, as well as prime time news on Fox.

The "National Guard" brings this to mind every time.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #12523  
Old 05.04.2018, 17:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,673
Groaned at 256 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 11,912 Times in 6,531 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Wha..? Is Trump afraid of 1000 illegal immigrants? Germany, the size of Montana, received a million not long ago...
The history of these caravans is that some of the people apply in Mexico for refugee status and the rest of them roll up to the US border and formally apply to the US border officials for refugee status in the US.
Usually their applications have little success with the US authorities, it is really a nothing burger (to borrow a phrase).

Meanwhile in a new poll "Trump’s Monthly Approval Rating Hits Record Low in March", here.

I do not have much confidence in these polls; I believe a better guide is in the results of the various local and special elections which are showing a strong Dem trend at the moment.

Edit; Trump now back pedalling!

Quote:
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

The Caravan is largely broken up thanks to the strong immigration laws of Mexico and their willingness to use them so as not to cause a giant scene at our Border. Because of the Trump Administrations actions, Border crossings are at a still UNACCEPTABLE 46 year low. Stop drugs!
From ABC news
Quote:
The "Stations of the Cross" caravans have been held annually in southern Mexico for about 10 years. They began as short processions of migrants, some dressed in biblical garb and carrying crosses, as an Easter-season protest against the kidnappings, extortion, beatings and killings suffered by many Central American migrants as they cross Mexico.

In a statement late Monday, Mexico's government said about 400 participants in the caravan had already been sent back to their home countries. "Under no circumstances does the Mexican government promote irregular migration," the Interior Ministry statement said.

The department also said that unlike in previous yearly caravans, "this time Mexican immigration authorities have offered refugee status" to participants who qualify.
Source
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work

Last edited by marton; 05.04.2018 at 17:29.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #12524  
Old 05.04.2018, 19:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,496
Groaned at 224 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 8,212 Times in 4,428 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There are nearly 12 million undocumented immigrants (includes visa overstays) in the USA.

Whatever his motives, Trump wants to stop any more from arriving, whether it's 1 or 100,000. Calling out the National Guard makes good political capital, as well as prime time news on Fox.

The "National Guard" brings this to mind every time.
Wow. I thought there are some kind of "régularisations" like in other countries - if you prove you have a job, no criminal record etc. Tough.
I know about the DREAM Act, but that would address only those cases who came there as children....if this bill will ever be approved. Europe seems a very welcoming place by comparison..

Quote:
View Post
The history of these caravans is that some of the people apply in Mexico for refugee status and the rest of them roll up to the US border and formally apply to the US border officials for refugee status in the US.
Usually their applications have little success with the US authorities, it is really a nothing burger (to borrow a phrase).
We might be joking a bit on these issues, but wouldn't wish anyone here to be in their place. It's rather depressing to think of so much misery.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #12525  
Old 05.04.2018, 20:40
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,838
Groaned at 53 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 11,886 Times in 5,591 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Seems some State Governors are saying they will refuse to send their National Guard troops to the Mexico border to control immigration.
Do they have that power? I suppose it would finish up in Court about the relevance of the PCA Act?

Do the States have to pay for the deployment or does the Federation have to pay?
Pretty good explanation here:
https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/1719349...tary-explained
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #12526  
Old 05.04.2018, 21:25
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,673
Groaned at 256 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 11,912 Times in 6,531 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Many thanks.

Not covered in this article is that an 1878 law banning federal troops from enforcing domestic laws would limit how much the guardsman can do along the border.

Also the National Guardsmen will be unarmed to avoid antagonising the Mexican Govt. who are against "militarizing the border".

Trump has cited a “caravan” of more than 1,000 Central Americans traveling toward the U.S. southern border as justification for a new crackdown but he has admitted now the Mexican Govt. already stopped the caravan a long, long way from the border. Anyway it is very doubtful reaching the US border was ever a caravan objective.

Actually a classic example of Fox News influencing Trump with fake news.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work

Last edited by marton; 05.04.2018 at 21:36.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #12527  
Old 06.04.2018, 01:10
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,673
Groaned at 256 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 11,912 Times in 6,531 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Something strange about John Bolton who is nominated to replace national security adviser H.R. McMaster; lots of closed door meetings about ethics and conflicts of interest. Might all fade away or might turn into a real problem!!
Reply With Quote
  #12528  
Old 06.04.2018, 01:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,315
Groaned at 65 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 5,600 Times in 2,604 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

There's an interesting article that offers some incite regarding the feeling behind this. It's behind the FT paywall, but if you Google 'Don’t get distracted. John Bolton is a huge threat', you should be able to read it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #12529  
Old 06.04.2018, 08:50
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 3,938
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,057 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Something strange about John Bolton who is nominated to replace national security adviser H.R. McMaster; lots of closed door meetings about ethics and conflicts of interest. Might all fade away or might turn into a real problem!!
It seems that Bolton was involved with Cambridge Analytica and the Mercers.

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/04...hn-bolton.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #12530  
Old 06.04.2018, 10:02
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 215 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 13,223 Times in 5,431 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There's an interesting article that offers some incite regarding the feeling behind this.
Spanky? Have you hacked Blueangel's EF account?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #12531  
Old 06.04.2018, 10:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,496
Groaned at 224 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 8,212 Times in 4,428 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Spanky? Have you hacked Blueangel's EF account?
Don't be such a spelling and grammar far-right winger...

(and there's Autocorrect!)
Reply With Quote
  #12532  
Old 06.04.2018, 10:53
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,673
Groaned at 256 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 11,912 Times in 6,531 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trump upping the US trade tariffs to cover $100Bn of Chinese goods. US stock futures hit again but not so much.

Seems most investors believe this is just rhetoric and there will be no trade war. If US tariffs will be implemented then there is first a 60 day process to be followed.

There are also hopes that the US and China can negotiate the tariffs away. It is hard to see how they can negotiate away the fact that Chinese goods are much cheaper than home produced.

They could play to Trump's attachment to the auto industry and make it easier to import US cars into China. Although General Motors, already sells more cars in China (3.9 million) than in the US (3 million) in 2016.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
  #12533  
Old 06.04.2018, 11:06
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,209
Groaned at 68 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,457 Times in 3,473 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Don't be such a spelling and grammar far-right winger...

(and there's Autocorrect!)
Actually that one of Blueangel was almost a Freudian
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #12534  
Old 06.04.2018, 12:55
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 215 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 13,223 Times in 5,431 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

So, now Trump has told reporters on Air Force One that he had no knowledge of the $130,000 payment that his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, made to Stormy Daniels (real name, Stephanie Clifford) to fulfill the conditions of the famous NDA drawn up between her and Trump that was supposed to buy her silence. Ms Clifford is trying to get out of the NDA, but Trump desperately wants her to be held to it.

Unfortunately for Trump, Ms Clifford's lawyer Michael Avenatti is very quick and very smart:
Attached Thumbnails
will-trump-good-president-avenatti.png  
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #12535  
Old 06.04.2018, 13:05
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,209
Groaned at 68 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,457 Times in 3,473 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
So, now Trump has told reporters on Air Force One that he had no knowledge of the $130,000 payment that his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, made to Stormy Daniels (real name, Stephanie Clifford) to fulfill the conditions of the famous NDA drawn up between her and Trump that was supposed to buy her silence. Ms Clifford is trying to get out of the NDA, but Trump desperately wants her to be held to it.

Unfortunately for Trump, Ms Clifford's lawyer Michael Avenatti is very quick and very smart:
I want a lawyer who pays my dues for me - and even behind my back, so kind - only available in the US?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #12536  
Old 06.04.2018, 13:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,546
Groaned at 606 Times in 459 Posts
Thanked 14,206 Times in 5,525 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
So, now Trump has told reporters on Air Force One that he had no knowledge of the $130,000 payment that his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, made to Stormy Daniels (real name, Stephanie Clifford) to fulfill the conditions of the famous NDA drawn up between her and Trump that was supposed to buy her silence. Ms Clifford is trying to get out of the NDA, but Trump desperately wants her to be held to it.

Unfortunately for Trump, Ms Clifford's lawyer Michael Avenatti is very quick and very smart:
Trump really is monumentally ****ing stupid. I mean, like, actually an idiot.

I think it speaks volumes for the US political system where people with limited mental faculties in certain areas like Bush Jr (dumb but harmless and benign character) and Trump (a thoughtless, petty, spiteful, irrational, unpredicatable and emotionally unintelligent human being with a harmful character) can rise to the most powerful positions in the world.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #12537  
Old 06.04.2018, 14:23
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,344
Groaned at 182 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 17,973 Times in 7,625 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump really is monumentally ****ing stupid. I mean, like, actually an idiot.

I think it speaks volumes for the US political system where people with limited mental faculties in certain areas like Bush Jr (dumb but harmless and benign character) and Trump (a thoughtless, petty, spiteful, irrational, unpredicatable and emotionally unintelligent human being with a harmful character) can rise to the most powerful positions in the world.
The problem is not America as such.

The problem is an entrenched political system where being the wife or son of an ex president, or TV bigwig or whatever is qualification enough for the job.

The entire prmary process was such a farce. Surely there are better and smarter people out there.

There is one point where Trump is completely right. The swamp needs to be drained. Only Trump isn't showing himself to be the man to do it.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #12538  
Old 06.04.2018, 14:33
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,209
Groaned at 68 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,457 Times in 3,473 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The problem is not America as such.

The problem is an entrenched political system where being the wife or son of an ex president, or TV bigwig or whatever is qualification enough for the job.

The entire prmary process was such a farce. Surely there are better and smarter people out there.

There is one point where Trump is completely right. The swamp needs to be drained. Only Trump isn't showing himself to be the man to do it.
The main problem seems to be: You have to be rich to become the US president. That's the basic fault in the system.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #12539  
Old 06.04.2018, 15:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,377
Groaned at 171 Times in 145 Posts
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,519 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
There is one point where Trump is completely right. The swamp needs to be drained. Only Trump isn't showing himself to be the man to do it.
Please don't tell me you haven't realised long ago that Trump is part of it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #12540  
Old 06.04.2018, 15:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,673
Groaned at 256 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 11,912 Times in 6,531 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Job growth plummeted in March, Labor Department reported 103,000 new jobs in March, after hitting the high for Donald Trump’s presidency, at 326,000, in February.
Forecast was to rise by 193,000 in March

Source

March unemployment was 4.1 percent, unchanged for the sixth consecutive month, it may just be that the labour market is saturated now?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 145 29.11.2016 08:03
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 6 14.11.2016 20:29
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0