Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #14841  
Old 01.08.2018, 22:18
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,163
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,090 Times in 10,588 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

“We already have a smoking gun about a campaign getting dirt on their opponent, it was Hillary Clinton. How is it OK for Hillary Clinton to proactively seek dirt from the Russians but the Trump campaign met at the Russians request and that is bad?” Marc Thiessen, Washington Post
Trump quoting the fake news "Amazon" Wash Post! Lordy Lordy!
  #14842  
Old 01.08.2018, 22:19
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting debate in the US now.

Some lawyers are claiming the way Trump's tweet is worded makes it an official Presidential order to Sessions to stop Mueller's investigation.

Trump's lawyers and the White House are furiously back pedalling!!

Source
Could he order that?!

Quote:
View Post
Will Trump rescind his tweet or double down?
He'll have a problem, there was no double negative in it
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #14843  
Old 02.08.2018, 00:41
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,163
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,090 Times in 10,588 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Could he order that?!


He'll have a problem, there was no double negative in it
He is the President, certainly he can order that; will there be a reaction if it happens, who knows!

"double negative" Lol!

Edit: More on this topic here

Seems Trump is getting upset because the focus of Mueller's probe seems to be swinging away from collusion and towards obstruction of justice!

Last edited by marton; 02.08.2018 at 01:02.
  #14844  
Old 02.08.2018, 00:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,163
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,090 Times in 10,588 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The rumour that President Donald Trump’s officials are considering more than doubling planned tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese imports is casting a shadow over stock markets today.
Source
Seems to be more than a rumour

"The increase in the possible rate of the additional duty is intended to provide the administration with additional options to encourage China to change its harmful policies and behavior and adopt policies that will lead to fairer markets and prosperity for all of our citizens," US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement.

Source

Dow dropped 81 points today!
  #14845  
Old 02.08.2018, 09:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 441
Groaned at 62 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,174 Times in 666 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Seems Trump is getting upset because the focus of Mueller's probe seems to be swinging away from collusion and towards obstruction of justice!
Strange that Trump seems to be getting increasingly wound up about the Mueller probe if he has done nothing wrong. Surely he could just stay cool and let Mueller do his thing until he concludes that Trump is in the clear.

Last edited by Reb77Br; 02.08.2018 at 10:08.
The following 4 users would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #14846  
Old 02.08.2018, 10:00
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,953
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,514 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Strange that Trump seems to be getting increasingly wound up about the Muller probe if he has done nothing wrong. Surely he could just stay cool and let Muller do his thing until he concludes that Trump is in the clear.
If!
  #14847  
Old 02.08.2018, 12:02
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,163
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,090 Times in 10,588 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Strange that Trump seems to be getting increasingly wound up about the Mueller probe if he has done nothing wrong. Surely he could just stay cool and let Mueller do his thing until he concludes that Trump is in the clear.
True, but he is very protective of his family and the net seems to be closing on at least some of them

BTW, his daughter Ivanka has closed her clothing brand; seems the business was fading away.
  #14848  
Old 02.08.2018, 12:05
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
True, but he is very protective of his family and the net seems to be closing on at least some of them

BTW, his daughter Ivanka has closed her clothing brand; seems the business was fading away.
In the long run they are all gonna lose so much due to Trump's presidency.

So sad
  #14849  
Old 02.08.2018, 13:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I'm begining to understand marton wanting text to your posts.....

Not that we will be able to follow your train of thought most likely but at least we could say we tried?
I think Capo posted that cringeworthy photo (which is several years old) as evidence that Trump is "WINNING!!!". Apparently Capo thinks that being married to a severe-looking, unsmiling woman who hates him is a glorious achievement for Trump.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #14850  
Old 02.08.2018, 13:38
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trump has always Tweeted about a variety of things; in this case, I don't view the Tweet being sent because he is upset. Rather, that Mueller's has NO focus. Look at the various indictments; Manafort, for instance. While he was briefly a part of Trump's campaign team, the indictment is for activity taking place between 2005-2014. How does this even fall under the mandate of his duties as SC? As he served as Director of the FBI between 2001-2013, it appears more like unfinished business to me.
Then we had Russian collusion... then we had obstruction of justice. What is next? How many years does the mandate last?
I actually voted 2x for B. Clinton and 2x for Obama. But this disgusts me (as did many, not all, of the investigations of B. Clinton).
Time to s**t or get off the pot. If "the people" don't like Trump and his administration, then get out and vote in the midterms and in 2020.
Jesus h Christ, people...

Quote:
View Post

Seems Trump is getting upset because the focus of Mueller's probe seems to be swinging away from collusion and towards obstruction of justice!
This user would like to thank My2pups for this useful post:
  #14851  
Old 02.08.2018, 14:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,163
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,090 Times in 10,588 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Trump has always Tweeted about a variety of things; in this case, I don't view the Tweet being sent because he is upset. Rather, that Mueller's has NO focus. Look at the various indictments; Manafort, for instance. While he was briefly a part of Trump's campaign team, the indictment is for activity taking place between 2005-2014. How does this even fall under the mandate of his duties as SC? As he served as Director of the FBI between 2001-2013, it appears more like unfinished business to me.
Then we had Russian collusion... then we had obstruction of justice. What is next? How many years does the mandate last?
I actually voted 2x for B. Clinton and 2x for Obama. But this disgusts me (as did many, not all, of the investigations of B. Clinton).
Time to s**t or get off the pot. If "the people" don't like Trump and his administration, then get out and vote in the midterms and in 2020.
Jesus h Christ, people...

You have not read Mueller's mandate have you? If you had you would not claim Manafort's indictment does not fall under the mandate ?

You can read it here.

"How many years does the mandate last?"
Starr's investigation of Clinton lasted over 4 years!
  #14852  
Old 02.08.2018, 14:23
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Actually, as an American who is quite involved in politics, I am aware of the SC Appointment Order. I also spent several years clerking in a law firm during my undergraduate years; long enough to gain an appreciation for "legalese."

As the politics of the various stakeholders emerge, the "Appointment Order" resembles a "blank check" to go find something, anything, related to "RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE WITH THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION." I don't think the intent of such orders is perpetual investigating until we find something.

In any case, with regards to the mandate, I already said that in the case of Manafort, it looks like unfinished business or a missed opportunity that the FBI should have been involved with. Now, it appears that they are using Manafort's possible misdeeds in Ukraine (going back to 2005), to point towards Russian collusion? Please...

fduvall

PS - "How many years does the mandate last?" Rhetorical question...


Quote:
View Post
You have not read Mueller's mandate have you? If you had you would not claim Manafort's indictment does not fall under the mandate ?

You can read it here.

"How many years does the mandate last?"
Starr's investigation of Clinton lasted over 4 years!
This user would like to thank My2pups for this useful post:
  #14853  
Old 02.08.2018, 14:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,163
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,090 Times in 10,588 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Actually, as an American who is quite involved in politics, I am aware of the SC Appointment Order. I also spent several years clerking in a law firm during my undergraduate years; long enough to gain an appreciation for "legalese."

As the politics of the various stakeholders emerge, the "Appointment Order" resembles a "blank check" to go find something, anything, related to "RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE WITH THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION." I don't think the intent of such orders is perpetual investigating until we find something.

In any case, with regards to the mandate, I already said that in the case of Manafort, it looks like unfinished business or a missed opportunity that the FBI should have been involved with. Now, it appears that they are using Manafort's possible misdeeds in Ukraine (going back to 2005), to point towards Russian collusion? Please...

fduvall

PS - "How many years does the mandate last?" Rhetorical question...
When I look at the indictments I see dates from 2008 to 2016, this is not just about 2005 as you imply.

Edit; see counts 27 - 30 here
Some of these later dates seem to coincide with the dates Manafort was Trump's Campaign manager. This does not imply Trump was involved but it was legitimate for the FBI to check what Manafort was doing at this time

Last edited by marton; 02.08.2018 at 14:46.
  #14854  
Old 02.08.2018, 15:38
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Marton - Not that it matters too much, but my exact words are in parentheses (going back to 2004). Not implying anything more than this started long before Trump and a lot of it actually occured DURING Mueller's years as Director of FBI.

Quote:
View Post
When I look at the indictments I see dates from 2008 to 2016, this is not just about 2005 as you imply.

Edit; see counts 27 - 30 here
Some of these later dates seem to coincide with the dates Manafort was Trump's Campaign manager. This does not imply Trump was involved but it was legitimate for the FBI to check what Manafort was doing at this time
  #14855  
Old 02.08.2018, 16:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I think Capo posted that cringeworthy photo (which is several years old) as evidence that Trump is "WINNING!!!". Apparently Capo thinks that being married to a severe-looking, unsmiling woman who hates him is a glorious achievement for Trump.
No, I posted the photo to wait for such hilarious comments.

- "severe-looking"
- "unsmiling"
- "woman who hates him"

  #14856  
Old 02.08.2018, 16:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
.....

In any case, with regards to the mandate, I already said that in the case of Manafort, it looks like unfinished business or a missed opportunity that the FBI should have been involved with. Now, it appears that they are using Manafort's possible misdeeds in Ukraine (going back to 2005), to point towards Russian collusion? Please...
..
Looks to me like the allegations were used to pressure Manafort to flip and help the Russian investigation. Manafort choose not to help with the investigation so he goes to court.
  #14857  
Old 02.08.2018, 16:40
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I think Capo posted that cringeworthy photo (which is several years old) as evidence that Trump is "WINNING!!!". Apparently Capo thinks that being married to a severe-looking, unsmiling woman who hates him is a glorious achievement for Trump.
Ah, thanks.
I didn't even recognize her. LOL. Is it obvious that I don't give a hoot about the private life of public people?

Quote:
View Post
No, I posted the photo to wait for such hilarious comments.

- "severe-looking"
- "unsmiling"
- "woman who hates him"
Still don't get the point. Many horrible politicians were truly loved by their wifes.
I think. I hope. What ever.
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #14858  
Old 02.08.2018, 16:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

To have a laugh:

  #14859  
Old 02.08.2018, 17:02
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
To have a laugh:
Agreed, this is funny.

We gotta find it funny, the only alternative is to panic. After the "cry-baby generation" they now have the "snowflake-generation". So what's next?!

I must say though, I got some pretty cool mates in the "cry-baby generation". Still worth looking for the exceptions.
  #14860  
Old 02.08.2018, 17:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0