Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 27.16%
No 236 72.84%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16161  
Old 04.10.2018, 01:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
The US nation’s largest coalition of Christian churches on Wednesday called for the withdrawal of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination for the Supreme Court.
Source

So far as I understand the situation this group represents some, but not all, of the Evangelicals in the US.

They claim to have 40 million adherents so will be hard to ignore?
Reply With Quote
  #16162  
Old 04.10.2018, 07:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,580
Groaned at 278 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 16,797 Times in 5,908 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Source

So far as I understand the situation this group represents some, but not all, of the Evangelicals in the US.

They claim to have 40 million adherents so will be hard to ignore?
here is a good reason to ignore them: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b3586c1f576d
Reply With Quote
  #16163  
Old 04.10.2018, 09:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
here is a good reason to ignore them: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b3586c1f576d
Article does not mention the other scandal of under age marriages!

GOP have set the vote on confirming Kavenaugh for tomorrow despite not yet seeing the FBI report.
Senators will have to share a single copy of the FBI report, which will be kept in a secure facility behind closed doors. So the chances of many of the 100 senators actually reading the report before the vote is slim. But then we never did expect the GOP to treat this job interview seriously did we?

Source
Reply With Quote
  #16164  
Old 04.10.2018, 09:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,587
Groaned at 107 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,462 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

With the plethora of leaks in Washington, no doubt they can learn about the report on Fox and Friends. Or at least some bits ...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #16165  
Old 04.10.2018, 11:10
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,992
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,309 Times in 6,461 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Source

So far as I understand the situation this group represents some, but not all, of the Evangelicals in the US.

They claim to have 40 million adherents so will be hard to ignore?
Good reasoning (for a religious group).
My thoughts entirely. It doesn't matter so much anymore what started all this, the way Kavanaugh handled it gave the answer whether to put him into this job or not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #16166  
Old 04.10.2018, 11:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Good reasoning (for a religious group).
My thoughts entirely. It doesn't matter so much anymore what started all this, the way Kavanaugh handled it gave the answer whether to put him into this job or not.
True but the GOP will vote for Kavanaugh anyway because they are now the party of Trump followers.
Reply With Quote
  #16167  
Old 04.10.2018, 13:04
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Seems the allegations about Trump's inheritance and related tax came from a good foundation!
Quote:
President Donald Trump's older sister, Judge Maryanne Trump Barry, has kept a very low profile since he ran for office. But it appears as though she inadvertently had a central role in The New York Times blockbuster report on her brother's alleged tax schemes.

According to the Times, one of their key findings was a financial disclosure form from Barry's Senate confirmation proceedings in 1999 to be a federal appellate judge.
Source

Pass the pop corn!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #16168  
Old 04.10.2018, 13:09
Mr.Maquiavelo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 312
Groaned at 68 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 233 Times in 115 Posts
Mr.Maquiavelo has made some interesting contributions
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Here again Trump openly humiliating a woman and journalist:





No comments!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mr.Maquiavelo for this useful post:
This user groans at Mr.Maquiavelo for this post:
  #16169  
Old 04.10.2018, 20:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Christine Blasey Ford is on the cover of this week's Time magazine. But it's not a photograph of Ford; it's an illustration of the words and phrases from her testimony arranged into a striking image of her taking an oath.
Name:  Times-20_ford-cover.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  131.1 KB

Spanky will not be hanging this cover in his clubs
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #16170  
Old 04.10.2018, 21:16
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

This is now the 7th. time the FBI has investigated Judge Kavanaugh. If we made it 100, it would still not be good enough for the Obstructionist Democrats.
And here about presumably a different FBI

Quote:
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

Report: There were no FISA hearings held over Spy documents.”It is astonishing that the FISA courts couldn’t hold hearings on Spy Warrants targeting Donald Trump. It isn’t about Carter Page, it’s about the Trump Campaign.
You’ve got corruption at the DOJ & FBI. The leadership of the DOJ & FBI are completely out to lunch in terms of exposing and holding those accountable who are responsible for that corruption.” @TomFitton @JudicialWatch
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #16171  
Old 04.10.2018, 21:50
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,279
Groaned at 72 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 16,696 Times in 7,564 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

As I expected, the FBI didn't come up with anything new. They didn't have time because the report was due to Congress on Wednesday night, not Friday. So it wasn't really a week. The reality is that it's almost impossible to prove that either Kavanaugh or his accusers are 100% truthful or 100% lying, so even if you allowed a month odds are the result wouldn't change (imo).
  • I believe that Ford was assaulted by someone. Maybe it was Kavanaugh and maybe it wasn't. She certainly believes it was him or she'd not have come forward.
  • I believe Kavanaugh believes he's never assaulted anyone.
  • I also believe Kavanaugh can't remember everything he did at high school and uni parties - partly because he drank so much but partly because it's a very long time ago
  • I believe the Rs are so desperate to confirm someone before the mid-terms that Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed.

Sworn statements have been pretty contentious in this thread. It sounds super scary to say you sign under penalty of felony (which WaPo says exists but is not very common) or penalty of perjury, so it's common to assume that a person who gives such a statement MUST be telling the truth. Why on earth would they sign such a scary statement if they're lying??

It's more nuanced than that, particularly in cases like this. Having a dodgy memory isn't a crime. Perjury happens when someone knowingly and deliberately makes a false statement. This is how President Clinton wound up impeached.

Many individuals on both "sides" of this issue have signed sworn statements with their versions of what did or did not happen. Given that everyone involved seems to truly believe what they say, and the events are from 35+ years ago, it is not likely anyone will be brought up on charges.

And again, a person can be guilty in their heart, guilty in the court of public opinion, etc. but the burden of proving guilt in a court of law is a higher bar.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #16172  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 510
Groaned at 47 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 965 Times in 410 Posts
terrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
As I expected, the FBI didn't come up with anything new. They didn't have time because the report was due to Congress on Wednesday night, not Friday. So it wasn't really a week. The reality is that it's almost impossible to prove that either Kavanaugh or his accusers are 100% truthful or 100% lying, so even if you allowed a month odds are the result wouldn't change (imo).
  • I believe that Ford was assaulted by someone. Maybe it was Kavanaugh and maybe it wasn't. She certainly believes it was him or she'd not have come forward.
  • I believe Kavanaugh believes he's never assaulted anyone.
  • I also believe Kavanaugh can't remember everything he did at high school and uni parties - partly because he drank so much but partly because it's a very long time ago
  • I believe the Rs are so desperate to confirm someone before the mid-terms that Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed.

Sworn statements have been pretty contentious in this thread. It sounds super scary to say you sign under penalty of felony (which WaPo says exists but is not very common) or penalty of perjury, so it's common to assume that a person who gives such a statement MUST be telling the truth. Why on earth would they sign such a scary statement if they're lying??

It's more nuanced than that, particularly in cases like this. Having a dodgy memory isn't a crime. Perjury happens when someone knowingly and deliberately makes a false statement. This is how President Clinton wound up impeached.

Many individuals on both "sides" of this issue have signed sworn statements with their versions of what did or did not happen. Given that everyone involved seems to truly believe what they say, and the events are from 35+ years ago, it is not likely anyone will be brought up on charges.

And again, a person can be guilty in their heart, guilty in the court of public opinion, etc. but the burden of proving guilt in a court of law is a higher bar.
Kudos 3wishes for the thoughtful, intelligent post! The only caveat I would make is that while Clinton had impeachment hearings, he was not impeached.

I suspect, Republicans will go after Dr Ford to clear Kavanaugh's name - if, indeed she lied under oath. But who knows? What a debacle this has been for the US! A travesty on all levels... Something needs to change!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank terrifisch for this useful post:
  #16173  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:09
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,279
Groaned at 72 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 16,696 Times in 7,564 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Kudos 3wishes for the thoughtful, intelligent post! The only caveat I would make is that while Clinton had impeachment hearings, he was not impeached.
Sorry, that's a common misconception. Many people think impeachment means removal from office, and it might be true in many countries, but in the USA that is not the case.

Clinton was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives on December 19, 1998, after being found guilty of perjury and obstruction of justice. The Senate held hearings about removal from office. However, he was not removed from office.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #16174  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:32
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,992
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,309 Times in 6,461 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
........ but the burden of proving guilt in a court of law is a higher bar.
Which is the one place everybody avoids like the pest in this matter.

Last edited by curley; 04.10.2018 at 23:46. Reason: the quote is from 3wishes, for some reason it said Maquiavelo
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #16175  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Kudos 3wishes for the thoughtful, intelligent post! The only caveat I would make is that while Clinton had impeachment hearings, he was not impeached.

I suspect, Republicans will go after Dr Ford to clear Kavanaugh's name - if, indeed she lied under oath. But who knows? What a debacle this has been for the US! A travesty on all levels... Something needs to change!
The Republicans may also choose to let this die. Ford has her supporters, a number of people think the FBI report was itself a travesty, and support for Kavanaugh is patched together. It could be like poking a hornets‘ nest with a stick. On the other hand, the main product of this administration seems to be distraction.....so who knows.


I have to add that i‘m fairly disgusted by Trump telling that reporter she doesn‘t think and the resultant snickers on his band of boys behind him. Bunch of assholes. Or is that too much outrage? Well it‘s the truth.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16176  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Kudos 3wishes for the thoughtful, intelligent post! The only caveat I would make is that while Clinton had impeachment hearings, he was not impeached.

I suspect, Republicans will go after Dr Ford to clear Kavanaugh's name - if, indeed she lied under oath. But who knows? What a debacle this has been for the US! A travesty on all levels... Something needs to change!
"Republicans will go after Dr Ford to clear Kavanaugh's name"
As 3Wishes posted "The reality is that it's almost impossible to prove that either Kavanaugh or his accusers are 100% truthful or 100% lying".
If the Republicans have any sense they will leave it alone to avoid the risk of more unpleasant stuff emerging.

Likely Kavanaugh will be confirmed but he will face many challenges to his authority, this story will hang around for years!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #16177  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:51
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,279
Groaned at 72 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 16,696 Times in 7,564 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
...Likely Kavanaugh will be confirmed but he will face many challenges to his authority, this story will hang around for years!
And in case anyone is wondering. U.S. Supreme Court justices can also be impeached and removed from office by Congress in the same manner as a president can be impeached and removed from office. Fun reading under the Tenure section on Wikipedia.

Not saying this is going to happen to Kavanaugh, but the way things are such a zoo in Washington right now who knows what will happen in the future.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #16178  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
And in case anyone is wondering. U.S. Supreme Court justices can also be impeached and removed from office by Congress in the same manner as a president can be impeached and removed from office. Fun reading under the Tenure section on Wikipedia.

Not saying this is going to happen to Kavanaugh, but the way things are such a zoo in Washington right now who knows what will happen in the future.
Oh good. Something to look forward to. Hopefully they‘ll get rid of Thomas at some point too. I can dream, right?
Reply With Quote
  #16179  
Old 04.10.2018, 23:04
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,140
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,738 Times in 8,562 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
And in case anyone is wondering. U.S. Supreme Court justices can also be impeached and removed from office by Congress in the same manner as a president can be impeached and removed from office. Fun reading under the Tenure section on Wikipedia.

Not saying this is going to happen to Kavanaugh, but the way things are such a zoo in Washington right now who knows what will happen in the future.
There is also Michael Avenatti?
Will he strike his tent and disappear or continue his campaign against Kavanaugh with what, if any, evidence?

"Democratic lawyer Michael Avenatti has produced another sworn statement from a second woman claiming the Supreme Court nominee, while in high school, would “spike” the “punch” at house parties and be “inappropriate” toward women."

Source

Never ending story....

Edit: "sworn statement" LOL!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #16180  
Old 05.10.2018, 00:02
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 252 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 16,920 Times in 6,951 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, that's a common misconception. Many people think impeachment means removal from office, and it might be true in many countries, but in the USA that is not the case.

Clinton was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives on December 19, 1998, after being found guilty of perjury and obstruction of justice. The Senate held hearings about removal from office. However, he was not removed from office.
Impeachment means the levying of charges, essentially indictment, wherever English is spoken, not just in the US. Innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

It's frustrating, the number of people who speak out loudly and authoritatively on matters they actually know little about. I'm certainly not referring to you, 3W.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0