Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 88 27.16%
No 236 72.84%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16361  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Or a an incredibly limited, small part of his background check. Do keep up.

He was interviewing for the Supreme Court, not McDonald's.
As I already mentioned, this was the sixth FBI background investigation of Kavanaugh since 1993. You're making this too easy for me.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16362  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
As I already mentioned, this was the sixth FBI background investigation of Kavanaugh since 1993. You're making this too easy for me.
Try as I might, apparently I cannot make it easy enough for you.

How many of the people who made their FIRST accusation against him in 2018 made accusations that could have been investigated prior to 2018?

I've even helped you out by making the question rhetorical. Easy enough?
Reply With Quote
  #16363  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
As I already mentioned, this was the sixth FBI background investigation of Kavanaugh since 1993. You're making this too easy for me.
WTF? He should never even have been a nominee if he'd been the subject of ONE investigation, never mind six.
Background check is one thing but an investigation?? And SIX of them?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #16364  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Try as I might, apparently I cannot make it easy enough for you.

How many of the people who made their FIRST accusation against him in 2018 made accusations that could have been investigated prior to 2018?

I've even helped you out by making the question rhetorical. Easy enough?
You know what a background check is, right? Let me help.

Background check
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16365  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
You know what a background check is, right? Let me help.

Background check
I'm afraid you've tangled yourself in your own semantics. I'll prolong your wriggling...

Was it compiling criminal records (a background check) or was it interviewing people to determine if any wrongdoing had occurred (an investigation)?
Reply With Quote
  #16366  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
You know what a background check is, right? Let me help.

Background check
Is that the same as the "Background investigation" you wrote, though?

At Supreme Court level, an investigation is a lot more telling than a simple "check".
Reply With Quote
  #16367  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I'm afraid you've tangled yourself in your own semantics. I'll prolong your wriggling...

Was it compiling criminal records (a background check) or was it interviewing people to determine if any wrongdoing had occurred (an investigation)?
If you read back, you'll see it's actually you playing semantics, something that you and marton enjoy making a habit of on here. The answer is actually in the first line of the Wikipedia link I posted. As it was the FBI doing the background check/investigation, one would imagine that they're pretty thorough.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16368  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,132
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,550 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but you do need to see the report to be able to judge if they interviewed a "fair number of people". They may have had their reasons for not interviewing certain people but we can't know without reading the report. I can imagine the main reason being that for every person stepping forward to say they remember seeing Kavanaugh drunk (Democrat voter), there'll be someone else stepping forward to say he wasn't (Republican voter). And this is the problem, this whole story is too political, too long ago and there is zero way of proving it.
So a police force can form a reason for not interviewing a witness without actually interviewing the witness and knowing what evidence they have?
What a revelation!

With such prophesying capabilities the US can save billions on police work.

Come on, admit the whole check was a farce and cover up. Stop dragging up specious arguments!
Reply With Quote
  #16369  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,132
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,550 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
If you read back, you'll see it's actually you playing semantics, something that you and marton enjoy making a habit of on here. The answer is actually in the first line of the Wikipedia link I posted. As it was the FBI doing the background check/investigation, one would imagine that they're pretty thorough.
"imagine"! LOL!

I will try to imagine this
Reply With Quote
  #16370  
Old 10.10.2018, 10:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
If you read back, you'll see it's actually you playing semantics, something that you and marton enjoy making a habit of on here. The answer is actually in the first line of the Wikipedia link I posted. As it was the FBI doing the background check/investigation, one would imagine that they're pretty thorough.
From your own link:

A background check or background investigation is the process of looking up and compiling criminal records, commercial records, and financial records of an individual or an organization.

Interviewing people doesn't seem to be a part of any of that, so would you like to revise your answer? Take your time.
Reply With Quote
  #16371  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Come on, admit the whole check was a farce and cover up. Stop dragging up specious arguments!
Is it a full moon? You're beginning to sound hysterical. I'll repeat, provide some evidence that it was a cover up. Time taken, number of people interviewed is conjecture without the report.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16372  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:59
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,936
Groaned at 172 Times in 143 Posts
Thanked 12,237 Times in 6,417 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
From your own link:

A background check or background investigation is the process of looking up and compiling criminal records, commercial records, and financial records of an individual or an organization.

Interviewing people doesn't seem to be a part of any of that, so would you like to revise your answer? Take your time.
I kind of lost track of what you folks are actually arguing about and it's not important to me.
But when I read the sentence in wikipedia, which is quoted above it became very clear, that the FBI-whatever was only looking into things already recorded somewhere. As they've done this (several times?) before, it would only have been embarrassing for them to find something new, no? As it would mean they missed something before.

What ever allegations came up now would not be part of such an FBI-whatever as they are obviously not recorded yet (and none of the accusers claimed they were, did they?).

So with my European legal understanding (which most likely differs very, very much with US-legal understanding) this FBI-whatever was basically a farce - or at least a waste of time - no further old records would (should) be found.

The new allegations need a charge/trial/verdict and should not be talked about in other circles. Why a bunch of politicians questions the participants and on youtube for the entire world to watch, I shall never understand.

It does make one wonder though, what the US needs a supreme court of justice for as they took these things back to the village square.
__________________
be inventive!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #16373  
Old 10.10.2018, 12:05
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 14,681
Groaned at 265 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 17,008 Times in 8,800 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I kind of lost track of what you folks are actually arguing about and it's not important to me.
But when I read the sentence in wikipedia, which is quoted above it became very clear, that the FBI-whatever was only looking into things already recorded somewhere. As they've done this (several times?) before, it would only have been embarrassing for them to find something new, no? As it would mean they missed something before.

What ever allegations came up now would not be part of such an FBI-whatever as they are obviously not recorded yet (and none of the accusers claimed they were, did they?).

So with my European legal understanding (which most likely differs very, very much with US-legal understanding) this FBI-whatever was basically a farce - or at least a waste of time - no further old records would (should) be found.

The new allegations need a charge/trial/verdict and should not be talked about in other circles. Why a bunch of politicians questions the participants and on youtube for the entire world to watch, I shall never understand.

It does make one wonder though, what the US needs a supreme court of justice for as they took these things back to the village square.
Because that's where the voters are.
Reply With Quote
  #16374  
Old 10.10.2018, 12:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
But when I read the sentence in wikipedia, which is quoted above it became very clear, that the FBI-whatever was only looking into things already recorded somewhere. As they've done this (several times?) before, it would only have been embarrassing for them to find something new, no? As it would mean they missed something before.

What ever allegations came up now would not be part of such an FBI-whatever as they are obviously not recorded yet (and none of the accusers claimed they were, did they?)
Bingo! It's no different to a job asking you to provide a Strafregisterauszug here - but nobody would need to be interviewed for that.
Reply With Quote
  #16375  
Old 10.10.2018, 12:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I kind of lost track of what you folks are actually arguing about and it's not important to me.
But when I read the sentence in wikipedia, which is quoted above it became very clear, that the FBI-whatever was only looking into things already recorded somewhere. As they've done this (several times?) before, it would only have been embarrassing for them to find something new, no? As it would mean they missed something before.
It's not very clear at all, unless you've read the reports. A background check could involve interviews with neighbours, colleagues etc. for high security clearances this is normal.
Reply With Quote
  #16376  
Old 10.10.2018, 12:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The whole thing was/is a sham. Mike Judge should have been questioned under oath - but he's had cancer in the past so therefore is unable to appear in public?
What should happen is that Dr. Ford should pursue her allegation and try and get Kavanaugh impeached. She won't though, because nothing has changed since day one of this circus, and there's still no way of proving that this incident
happened.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16377  
Old 10.10.2018, 14:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

'this was the sixth FBI background investigation of Kavanaugh since 1993'

wow- as they say, there is rarely so much smoke without fire then?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #16378  
Old 10.10.2018, 14:41
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,936
Groaned at 172 Times in 143 Posts
Thanked 12,237 Times in 6,417 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
What should happen is that Dr. Ford should pursue her allegation and try and get Kavanaugh impeached. She won't though, because nothing has changed since day one of this circus, and there's still no way of proving that this incident
happened.
This.
Via the criminal court.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #16379  
Old 10.10.2018, 14:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,132
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,550 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Is it a full moon? You're beginning to sound hysterical. I'll repeat, provide some evidence that it was a cover up. Time taken, number of people interviewed is conjecture without the report.
It is my opinion, I do not need to provide evidence for my opinion
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #16380  
Old 10.10.2018, 14:55
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,936
Groaned at 172 Times in 143 Posts
Thanked 12,237 Times in 6,417 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
...... Come on, admit the whole check was a farce and cover up. Stop dragging up specious arguments!
Quote:
View Post
Is it a full moon? You're beginning to sound hysterical. I'll repeat, provide some evidence that it was a cover up. Time taken, number of people interviewed is conjecture without the report.
Quote:
View Post
It is my opinion, I do not need to provide evidence for my opinion
That's fair.

But you must admit you can not demand someone to admit to .... an opinion of your's. The most someone could do is to agree with an opinion of your's. And that should definitely not be forced.

Can't y'all just agree to disagree and bring on the next gory happening from Trump's presidency? I'm sure the news are piling up by now.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0