Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16401  
Old 11.10.2018, 00:25
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

@terrifisch

You can wriggle and complain as much as you want but it is and was a job interview.

I will have to refer you to your own US Constitution again, sigh!
Article II, Section 2 empowers the president to nominate and—“by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate”—to appoint principal officers such as department heads as well as subordinate ones such as deputies.

From time to time the Senate does reject Presidential nominees, more often unsuitable candidates choose to withdraw before the ignominy of being rejected.
In Trump's case an abnormally high number of nominees chose to withdraw

BTW, the FBI head Wray did admit to the Senate today that the White House limited the FBI scope.

Hot off the Press
President Trump on Wednesday said the Federal Reserve “has gone crazy” with a series of planned interest rate increases after U.S. stocks suffered their worst daily losses since February.

Trump told reporters on Air Force One that the Fed had raised rates too quickly after being asked his reaction to Wednesday’s massive stock sell-off, according to pool reports.

As already posted the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 831 points Wednesday afternoon, losing 3.2 percent on the day (3rd largest point drop ever).
The Nasdaq composite fell 4 percent and the S&P 500 lost 3.3 percent as investors sought safe havens from rising interest rates.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #16402  
Old 11.10.2018, 01:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

As US Feds focused on kidnapping kids from their families at the Mexican border, border drug Federal prosecutions plummeted to their lowest level in nearly two decades this summer.
In June and July, federal prosecutors charged fewer people with drug-trafficking violations than in any month since at least 2001, when the United States began a border security buildup.

The drug trade along the border remains vast. U.S. Customs and Border Protection estimated in March that agents seize almost 3 tons of narcotics on a typical day.

Source
  #16403  
Old 11.10.2018, 02:07
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

I didn't know where to place this. arte did a program on the last American elections. Sorry, it is only available in German and French.

Mercer is very American. Cambridge Analytica very British (although they probably mainly have the excitement of proving what's possible and making money in mind). However, remind me again: Why exactly was it definitely and absolutely the Russians? And the Russians only?

As Mercer is brillant at algorithm - is the phase we're going though with Trump part of the plan and where will it lead to?

Why is a so extremly private man who is not very keen on human company and definitely doesn't really need more money interested in politics to such an extent?
Or is it all also just to prove he can? Could be, considering he is a scientist.

Nope, I'm not expecting answers. I just want to put different thoughts out as I have the impression, the horses flogged on this thread are so definitely dead that the meat can't even be used to eat anymore, being interspersed by bone-splinters.

edit: Not only me wondering.
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #16404  
Old 11.10.2018, 08:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Are you married to StirB per chance?
Quote:
Answer the question.
It's terrible, he's always like this at home.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16405  
Old 11.10.2018, 09:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
If we follow that line of argument, the accused, Kavanuagh was already in effect "hired"- given the inquisition/questioning in July so his nomination should have been just a formality .
Still having problems with the word "nomination", I see. Kavanaugh was nominated by Trump months ago. The "formality" you speak of was his confirmation hearing, where the questioning was the final part of his "job interview" before a decision on his appointment was made.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16406  
Old 11.10.2018, 09:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Why is a so extremly private man who is not very keen on human company and definitely doesn't really need more money interested in politics to such an extent?
Or is it all also just to prove he can? Could be, considering he is a scientist.

Nope, I'm not expecting answers. I just want to put different thoughts out as I have the impression, the horses flogged on this thread are so definitely dead that the meat can't even be used to eat anymore, being interspersed by bone-splinters.

edit: Not only me wondering.
That was a fascinating read. Thank you!

I‘ve read accounts of Reagan‘s presidency where the hallmark of “smaller government” was simply ignoring agencies and letting them fall apart which provided protections to things as diverse as indigenous people, environment, land and health. This stuck a similar chord. I don’t have a reference, I read it a long time ago.

It is interesting too, the characterization of this very new type of money made without any sort of societal contract.

Of course, this is the view of one man from another, but Mercer sure doesn’t seem like a philanthropist. And maybe not a white supremacist, but more than a little racist, if what he’s reported to say is true.
  #16407  
Old 11.10.2018, 10:05
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
As Mercer is brillant at algorithm - is the phase we're going though with Trump part of the plan and where will it lead to?

Why is a so extremly private man who is not very keen on human company and definitely doesn't really need more money interested in politics to such an extent?
Or is it all also just to prove he can? Could be, considering he is a scientist.
Yes. Tell a man with a brain to not think.

Which in fact takes me to the whole polarised extremes in the US: "I can think but you can't" just doesn't work when people are looking for constructive cooperation.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #16408  
Old 11.10.2018, 10:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Tell a man with a brain to not think.

Which in fact takes me to the whole polarised extremes in the US: "I can think but you can't" just doesn't work when people are looking for a constructive cooperation.
Nobody is suggesting any such thing.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16409  
Old 11.10.2018, 10:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

45 seconds of awkwardness.

Loving the "move aside, wifey!" shove his missus got.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16410  
Old 11.10.2018, 10:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,402
Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,495 Times in 6,483 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Source

The confidential [Kav] report was made available to senators last week. Some Democrats [Senators] claimed the FBI did not contact an adequate number of witnesses about the sexual assault allegations.
I may be mistaken but I seem to remember that only a few copies were available for all Congress members combined and only for a short time, like a few hours.
  #16411  
Old 11.10.2018, 10:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I didn't know where to place this. arte did a program on the last American elections. Sorry, it is only available in German and French.

Mercer is very American. Cambridge Analytica very British (although they probably mainly have the excitement of proving what's possible and making money in mind). However, remind me again: Why exactly was it definitely and absolutely the Russians? And the Russians only?

As Mercer is brillant at algorithm - is the phase we're going though with Trump part of the plan and where will it lead to?

Why is a so extremly private man who is not very keen on human company and definitely doesn't really need more money interested in politics to such an extent?
Or is it all also just to prove he can? Could be, considering he is a scientist.

Nope, I'm not expecting answers. I just want to put different thoughts out as I have the impression, the horses flogged on this thread are so definitely dead that the meat can't even be used to eat anymore, being interspersed by bone-splinters.

edit: Not only me wondering.
AAMOF Cambridge Analytica closed in May after the scandal.

The GOP party central officially claimed after the election that Cambridge Analytica data was flawed and little used in Trump's campaign, probably the truth will never be known.

Whatever, US politics will never be the same again after Trump!
  #16412  
Old 11.10.2018, 10:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Read it. It is indeed interesting.




Or what? You start the waterboarding?
Or the impression is again reinforced that he posts BS then runs away or resorts to whataboutery when called out on it, which was the only likely outcome tbh.
  #16413  
Old 11.10.2018, 11:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,402
Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,495 Times in 6,483 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Tell a man with a brain to not think.

Which in fact takes me to the whole polarised extremes in the US: "I can think but you can't" just doesn't work when people are looking for constructive cooperation.
Cooperation in US politics is soooo yesteryear.
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #16414  
Old 11.10.2018, 12:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
he's willfully ignorant or just doing crap trolling,
Quote:
'I was only trolling'
Quote:
it's just whataboutism and whataboutism from the last century at that
Quote:
#whataboutery
Quote:
#deflection
Quote:
Wow, that's extreme whataboutism right there
Quote:
This is a straw man argument
Quote:
whataboutism 1, rational argument 0
Quote:
Dog and pony show to distract the stupid.
Quote:
you're just trolling. If so it's very poor trolling
Quote:
Or the impression is again reinforced that he posts BS then runs away or resorts to whataboutery
A fan writes.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16415  
Old 11.10.2018, 12:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Tell a man with a brain to not think.

Which in fact takes me to the whole polarised extremes in the US: "I can think but you can't" just doesn't work when people are looking for constructive cooperation.
Oh my - just don't know where to begin...

so I won't
This user groans at for this post:
  #16416  
Old 11.10.2018, 12:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
45 seconds of awkwardness.

Loving the "move aside, wifey!" shove his missus got.
That video is horrific. I haven't really been following the story, but that man is not a nice man.

I could write that a bit more colourfully - but it's better for people to watch the video with their own eyes.
  #16417  
Old 11.10.2018, 13:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
That video is horrific. I haven't really been following the story, but that man is not a nice man.

I could write that a bit more colourfully - but it's better for people to watch the video with their own eyes.
Blocked at work...any clues?
  #16418  
Old 11.10.2018, 13:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
A fan writes.
Amusingly you haven't quoted him mentioning your name once. Some of his barbs a bit close to home? I wonder how often you've replied to me?
  #16419  
Old 11.10.2018, 13:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Amusingly you haven't quoted him mentioning your name once. Some of his barbs a bit close to home?
Nah, it's the internet.
  #16420  
Old 11.10.2018, 13:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Blocked at work...any clues?
It's Mr Kavanaugh and his wife and kids at the swearing in ceremony. He is making all the classic violent shit moves - pushes her aside, claw at the base of the neck - and she looks terrified. It's horrible to watch.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0