Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #17001  
Old 06.11.2018, 12:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I'll change it back to living with if you like. The point remains the same.
Except that wasn't the point was it? 22 Yards made the point that 5000 does not remotely compare to 1.25m but when you got called out on the BS you moved the goalposts rather than acknowledge your comment was ludicrous.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17002  
Old 06.11.2018, 12:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,828
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,839 Times in 8,090 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
No I don't, and I disagree. Someone we're talking about won't apply as a refugee but based on their exceptional professional capabilities, for instance for an EB-1a ("extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers") green card.

Now, there may be general bans for certain nationalities in place, I didn't check, but given the fact that the US had no problems employing former Nazis I rather doubt there is one.
I was referring to the more recent Trump's moves. I also have the feeling that it used to be easier for certain nationalities, before Trump, but am not so sure like you about the current situation, not even for the exceptionally skilled ones. USA has become like any other Western European country scared to death by immigrants, furiners and what not, which is sooo funny in a way.

That being said, I probably live in a bubble because I never encountered that sort of Americans in real life (EF is excluded from these considerations, obviously). The country looks like it has shifted enormously lately, but when you talk with common people or visit is something else. For the moment.
  #17003  
Old 06.11.2018, 12:57
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,901
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,849 Times in 18,312 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
they eat ethnic food!
Like poutine and beaver tails!

Tom
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #17004  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,901
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,849 Times in 18,312 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
since when has rehoming immigrants with private residents ever been a policy?
It was in last night's film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roommates_Party

Tom
  #17005  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It was in last night's film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roommates_Party

Tom
Are you conflating working poor and homeless with immigrants Tom? Naughty boy
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17006  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,985 Times in 10,539 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
America about to have their European migrant crisis moment? I'm sure they'll be showing us where we went wrong.
Are you sure?

US Population 325Million Est. illegal immigrants in country 11 Million
Europe Population 508 Million Est. illegal immigrants in country 600 thousand.
  #17007  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Except that wasn't the point was it? 22 Yards made the point that 5000 does not remotely compare to 1.25m but when you got called out on the BS you moved the goalposts rather than acknowledge your comment was ludicrous.
Are you capable of original thought? Or just a bloody parrot?

How about you stick to the point, would you be happy to have some of these migrants come and live with you?
  #17008  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Are you capable of original thought? Or just a bloody parrot?

How about you stick to the point, would you be happy to have some of these migrants come and live with you?
And here was me thinking you'd retracted that special bit of nonsense. Consistency is a bit much to wish for, I spose.

If you want the relevant reply, then yes, I think most of us on here have made it clear we don't really mind who lives next door. Horrible as it might be to have to live next door to, in your unfailingly ironic words, "migrants".
  #17009  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
And here was me thinking you'd retracted that special bit of nonsense. Consistency is a bit much to wish for, I spose.

If you want the relevant reply, then yes, I think most of us on here have made it clear we don't really mind who lives next door. Horrible as it might be to have to live next door to, in your unfailingly ironic words, "migrants".
I wonder how many people are living next-door to "migrants" and don't actually know it. Probably because they just move in and get on with their lives.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17010  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I wonder how many people are living next-door to "migrants" and don't actually know it. Probably because they just move in and get on with their lives.
Given that about 33% of people living in Zurich are migrants, I'd say pretty much everyone. In Oerlikon I was living next door to Loz's kind of migrants though, and as you correctly surmise, they were just getting on with things minding their own business when they weren't asking me to join their cricket game.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17011  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Given that about 33% of people living in Zurich are migrants, I'd say pretty much everyone. In Oerlikon I was living next door to Loz's kind of migrants though, and as you correctly surmise, they were just getting on with things minding their own business when they weren't asking me to join their cricket game.
You are such a hypocrite. Sandgrounder willfully misrepresents what I've said and then you jump in to conflate all migrants with illegals. And you say I move goalposts.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17012  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Given that about 33% of people living in Zurich are migrants, I'd say pretty much everyone. In Oerlikon I was living next door to Loz's kind of migrants though, and as you correctly surmise, they were just getting on with things minding their own business when they weren't asking me to join their cricket game.
Migrants from Surrey?
  #17013  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
You are such a hypocrite. Sandgrounder willfully misrepresents what I've said...
How did I misrepresent what you said?

You have been goading people on this thread who don't share your obvious hatred of migrants "if they wouldn't allow them to live in (or next to, as you changed it) their own house".

I then posed the question of how many people actually might be living next to migrants without realising it.

How is that "misrepresenting" what you said?
  #17014  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:48
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,145
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,096 Times in 800 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I was referring to the more recent Trump's moves. I also have the feeling that it used to be easier for certain nationalities, before Trump, but am not so sure like you about the current situation, not even for the exceptionally skilled ones.
I don't know about that. I have worked for multinational companies my whole life, and in 2009 my employer sent me to the US on an H1-B visa (for professional-level jobs that require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a specific academic field), with a 3-year contract. My employer had some kind of blanket visa allowance, which expired within a few months of my entry, which is why my H1-B had a duration of around 5 months, after which it would have be renewed. But guess what? They didn't accept my renewal. Employer negotiations and 2 or 3 lawyers later they switched me to an L-visa (for international transferees who will be coming to the United States to work in an executive or managerial or specialized knowledge capacity). The whole ordeal took 6 months, my family and I had to LEAVE the US to get the renewal stamped in my passport, and must have cost my employer thousands of dollars.

So in my humble personal experience I wouldn't qualify it as easy by any standards. And that was WAY before Trump.
__________________
HEAVEN IS A BATHTUB WITH BOOKS THAT DON'T GET WET
The following 3 users would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #17015  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:49
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,103
Groaned at 122 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 10,998 Times in 4,828 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I wonder how many people are living next-door to "migrants" and don't actually know it. Probably because they just move in and get on with their lives.
I go to German school with loads of migrants from all over the world, including some from war torn countries, and one who owned a haulage company and got loads of friends and family out of the path of Daesh with his trucks. He bought a brand new Audi the other week.
  #17016  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:53
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
I wonder how many people are living next-door to "migrants" and don't actually know it. Probably because they just move in and get on with their lives.
ahem

Anybody who moves anywhere is a migrant (the etymological similarity of the two words is no accident)

Even within the same country.

Even within the same city.

So how many people in Zürich don't know that their neigbours ever moved in?

  #17017  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
You are such a hypocrite. Sandgrounder willfully misrepresents what I've said and then you jump in to conflate all migrants with illegals. And you say I move goalposts.
Aww, did I hurt your feelings? I'm sorry. You used the word "migrants" so I thought I'd tease you a bit. I didn't realise you'd take it so hard. Mea culpa.

Quote:
Migrants from Surrey?
Afghanistan - cricket is hugely popular there, it turns out!
  #17018  
Old 06.11.2018, 13:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
ahem

Anybody who moves anywhere is a migrant.

Even within the same country.

Even within the same city.

I know, but it's the word being used by Loz, so keeping it simple.

I think the context of the thread covers any shortfall in misunderstanding.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17019  
Old 06.11.2018, 14:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Are you capable of original thought? Or just a bloody parrot?

How about you stick to the point, would you be happy to have some of these migrants come and live with you?

Pray tell, what need for an original thought when you're so easy to wind up with the unoriginal ones?


however to parrot what everyone else is saying, tell me more about these migrants of which you ask. Are they nice? are they criminals? drug dealers? pharmacists? doctors? other professionals? do they have obnoxious children or loud pets or vice versa? do they have week-long parties and will they invite me? do they keep themselves to themselves? Really without more information I can't help you out.


Anyway, I answered your deflection, now respond to 22Yards point, which was the original point you failed to stick to. I'll wait.

Last edited by reids; 06.11.2018 at 14:43.
  #17020  
Old 06.11.2018, 14:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,828
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,839 Times in 8,090 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know about that. I have worked for multinational companies my whole life, and in 2009 my employer sent me to the US on an H1-B visa (for professional-level jobs that require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a specific academic field), with a 3-year contract. My employer had some kind of blanket visa allowance, which expired within a few months of my entry, which is why my H1-B had a duration of around 5 months, after which it would have be renewed. But guess what? They didn't accept my renewal. Employer negotiations and 2 or 3 lawyers later they switched me to an L-visa (for international transferees who will be coming to the United States to work in an executive or managerial or specialized knowledge capacity). The whole ordeal took 6 months, my family and I had to LEAVE the US to get the renewal stamped in my passport, and must have cost my employer thousands of dollars.

So in my humble personal experience I wouldn't qualify it as easy by any standards. And that was WAY before Trump.
Thank you for sharing your personal situation, caleb. There was someone here who said that the USA's immigration system needs an urgent reform, I couldn't agree more with that.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0