Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 93 26.50%
No 258 73.50%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #19501  
Old 16.07.2019, 10:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
"Illegal immigrants are legal" was pretty hillarious. Did you follow up on Fox where he gave interviewed the same day? "That lady was a bartender just a few months ago" said it all. She had no time to actually learn the legal lingo.

It is a shame that an expert devoting 30yrs to actually take care of kids' rights to not be abused has to account to a complete ammateur armed only with her entitlement and selfrighteousness. Let's get rid of all expertise and replace it with attitude and semantics. Like that's gonna work. It won't but it will certainly help a few noobs with career and visibility.
Whilst the methods used are distasteful, Trump going after the “squad” could be really help him get re-elected next year. Although they have a big following on social media their views are political kryptonite to the majority of Americans. I think Trump could be correct when he questioned if the Democrats want to gear their wagons around them. It’ll make it easier for him to set himself up as the American patriot against the threat of socialism, which in the States will only result in one winner.
  #19502  
Old 16.07.2019, 10:38
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Whilst the methods used are distasteful, Trump going after the “squad” could be really help him get re-elected next year. Although they have a big following on social media their views are political kryptonite..
The real kryptonite is - social media. Write whatever, no matter what reality is. If your only game is on and through social media, you are losing. And that's the thing I regret the most, I wish there was a better alternative to Trump, but all there is is in fact a social media construct. Campaigning and riots just to get more social media support. Or vanity, ego feeds. No real work, or results. Doofuses like the lady in the video, saying it all for social media hysterics, branding herself frantically. While her opponent was a real person with real results, even if they might not be ideal, he put his real work in this. It shows his integrity. Her attitude and posturing shows what, exactly. Lack of experience? I don't believe in seniority, but merit. She could have done this so much better.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
  #19503  
Old 16.07.2019, 10:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Whilst the methods used are distasteful, Trump going after the “squad” could be really help him get re-elected next year. Although they have a big following on social media their views are political kryptonite to the majority of Americans. I think Trump could be correct when he questioned if the Democrats want to gear their wagons around them. It’ll make it easier for him to set himself up as the American patriot against the threat of socialism, which in the States will only result in one winner.
Risk is Trump will push the US back 200 years to the days of the first anti-immigration party, the "know-nothings", who started riots in major cities against Irish and German immigrants and also against Catholic churches.

Of course a few deaths and many injuries is a small price for Trump to pay for reelection; did I ever say politics is disgusting?
  #19504  
Old 16.07.2019, 10:57
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Of course, if anyone was interested in posting the next part(s) of DJT's Tweet(s), they would read that he invited whomever he was suggesting to "go back" to then "come back and show us how it is done."

That actually changes the suggestion IMMENSELY. But of course, the media only wants to show the piece that supports their narrative.

<<<and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how.... it is done.>>>

Quote:
I do hope that everyone who is a Trump and Brexit fan will be following his not at all racist advice and going home to help fix the broken, crime-infested country they came from.

Surely everyone will, as they aren't massive hypocrites. Good good.
The following 2 users would like to thank My2pups for this useful post:
  #19505  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
The real kryptonite is - social media. Write whatever, no matter what reality is. If your only game is on and through social media, you are losing. And that's the thing I regret the most, I wish there was a better alternative to Trump, but all there is is in fact a social media construct. Campaigning and riots just to get more social media support. Or vanity, ego feeds. No real work, or results. Doofuses like the lady in the video, saying it all for social media hysterics, branding herself frantically. While her opponent was a real person with real results, even if they might not be ideal, he put his real work in this. It shows his integrity. Her attitude and posturing shows what, exactly. Lack of experience? I don't believe in seniority, but merit. She could have done this so much better.
The "social media construct" seems to be working just fine for Trump, though. Dozens of hysterical, vanity and ego-fuelled tweets a day. Branding in the form of his own "MAGA" creation. No real work or results. His lack of experience evident in his day-to-day mess illustrating his lack of "merit" (failed businessman, turned reality TV personality, then accidental president of the free world).

As you can see, your comment could just as easily have been about Trump himself.

I don't think you meant to undermine your own argument there but, you did.
  #19506  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:01
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Of course, if anyone was interested in posting the next part(s) of DJT's Tweet(s), they would read that he invited whomever he was suggesting to "go back" to then "come back and show us how it is done."

That actually changes the suggestion IMMENSELY. But of course, the media only wants to show the piece that supports their narrative.

<<<and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how.... it is done.>>>
You need to restart your irony drive?
  #19507  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:32
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
If the European migrant crisis has shown us anything it’s that when families are housed together in migrant centres, the risk of violence and sexual assault against women and children increases dramatically. And what happens then? Women and children have to be separated for their own safety.

In and around Stuttgart alone there were 105 rapes, assaults and robberies of women and 77 against children in the refugee centres
Quote:
View Post
You do know the meaning of an allegation right? 154 claims in three years, how many criminal proceedings? How many convictions? It doesn’t look good, but it’s a far cry from the Peado Cages you’re describing. Because you have TDS and can’t think straight.
You do know the meaning of an allegation right?
  #19508  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Time for a bit more whataboutery: Exhibit A, the Guardian telling us how racist it is for Trump to question how American certain women of colour politicians are. Exhibit B, a Guardian journalist asking black Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton how British he is.

Donald Trump has made it clear: the only 'real Americans' are white and Christian
Republican muted response to Trump’s tweets reveals party’s ingrained racism

  #19509  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Time for a bit more whataboutery: Exhibit A, the Guardian telling us how racist it is for Trump to question how American certain women of colour politicians are. Exhibit B, a Guardian journalist asking black Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton how British he is.
No. She said "Why do you think people question your Britishness?". This is after giving background to her question and listing a number of details relating to his residency, accent and other factors. That is not the same as her directly questioning his Britishness.

It doesn't even qualify as "whataboutary", and that's saying something. It's just the internet equivalent of throwing a pin and hoping it falls on a Guardian article somehow mentioning nationality.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19510  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 3,041
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,910 Times in 2,166 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
No. She said "Why do you think people question your Britishness?". This is after giving background to her question and listing a number of details relating to his residency, accent and other factors. That is not the same as her directly questioning his Britishness.

It doesn't even qualify as "whataboutary", and that's saying something. It's just the internet equivalent of throwing a pin and hoping it falls on a Guardian article somehow mentioning nationality.
I follow F1 quite a lot and it's the first time I've ever heard anyone talk about his Britishness being questioned.
The following 3 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #19511  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
No. She said "Why do you think people question your Britishness?". This is after giving background to her question and listing a number of details relating to his residency, accent and other factors. That is not the same as her directly questioning his Britishness.

It doesn't even qualify as "whataboutary", and that's saying something. It's just the internet equivalent of throwing a pin and hoping it falls on a Guardian article somehow mentioning nationality.
It was a crap question that shouldn’t have been asked and indeed has never been asked of other British sportsmen and women that live abroad.
  #19512  
Old 16.07.2019, 11:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
I follow F1 quite a lot and it's the first time I've ever heard anyone talk about his Britishness being questioned.
But who did, in fact, question it in the first place? The journo was just alluding to it.

It's a moot point because it's irrelevant to the thread anyway and I suspect has just been chucked in to deflect but, hey.

Quote:
View Post
It was a crap question that shouldn’t have been asked and indeed has never been asked of other British sportsmen and women that live abroad.
Jesus, that's a bold claim to make, Loz. Never? Never, ever, ever? I've got a couple of cases in mind but will have to find the right links...
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19513  
Old 16.07.2019, 12:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 3,041
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,910 Times in 2,166 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
But who did, in fact, question it in the first place? The journo was just alluding to it.
I have no idea. Like I said I've never heard of anyone question his Britishness until now.

I think he handled the question very well.
  #19514  
Old 16.07.2019, 12:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Jesus, that's a bold claim to make, Loz. Never? Never, ever, ever? I've got a couple of cases in mind but will have to find the right links...
It was never asked of Paula Radcliffe, or Chris Froome, or Jenson Button, or Geraint Thomas. All of whom lived or have lived in Monaco. Chris Froome also has a funny accent. As far as I can see Hamilton was asked because he is flamboyant, successful and black.
  #19515  
Old 16.07.2019, 12:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It was never asked of Paula Radcliffe, or Chris Froome, or Jenson Button, or Geraint Thomas. All of whom lived or have lived in Monaco. Chris Froome also has a funny accent. As far as I can see Hamilton was asked because he is flamboyant, successful and black.
To be fair, we don't know WHO asked the questions the journo was alluding to so I guess we won't know their motivation.

Actually, whoever it was must be laughing like a drain seeing as the Guardian woman is getting the heat for it for merely bringing it up.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19516  
Old 16.07.2019, 13:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
It was never asked of Paula Radcliffe, or Chris Froome, or Jenson Button, or Geraint Thomas. All of whom lived or have lived in Monaco. Chris Froome also has a funny accent....
No?

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/ch...28/story.shtml

(I only checked Chris Froome)
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19517  
Old 16.07.2019, 13:40
gaburko's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BL
Posts: 1,091
Groaned at 164 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Trump got elected, managed to drive a wedge in the society so strong as to consolidate his core and to completely confuse the rest. The democrats have so far shown such a poor list of candidates, it's scary.

Like they say during the plane safety instruction "brace, brace", he'll be re-elected.

I am hoping that E.Musk will find a way to ship us all to Mars earlier though.
This user would like to thank gaburko for this useful post:
  #19518  
Old 16.07.2019, 13:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,148
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,073 Times in 10,576 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Stop quoting facts; it only confuses (some) people!
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #19519  
Old 16.07.2019, 14:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
View Post
Of course, if anyone was interested in posting the next part(s) of DJT's Tweet(s), they would read that he invited whomever he was suggesting to "go back" to then "come back and show us how it is done."

That actually changes the suggestion IMMENSELY. But of course, the media only wants to show the piece that supports their narrative.

---
No, no it doesn't, no matter how much caps you use. Excusing grammar for a moment the racist part was 'from which you came' that's the message that he wanted to send; that it doesn't matter your citizenship, or where you were born because you didn't come from *here*
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19520  
Old 16.07.2019, 15:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
No, no it doesn't, no matter how much caps you use. Excusing grammar for a moment the racist part was 'from which you came' that's the message that he wanted to send; that it doesn't matter your citizenship, or where you were born because you didn't come from *here*
Bingo.

Attempting to defend his phraseology only can only reflect badly on you FD; I wouldn't go down that route, don't get dragged down to his level.
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 9 (0 members and 9 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 162 06.11.2020 11:15
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0