Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: Will Trump be a good President?
Yes 71 27.41%
No 188 72.59%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1961  
Old 12.01.2017, 17:51
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,707
Groaned at 91 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,826 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
I think you totally missed the point. That kind of control of perspectives is what takes place in leftist thinking. Like he said, everyone needs to develop their own moral compass.
You think he will be an equal denigrator of things he agrees with and disagrees with. Extreme naivety.

You were just after saying that CNN is finished because Trump doesn't like their viewpoint.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #1962  
Old 12.01.2017, 17:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,782
Groaned at 504 Times in 381 Posts
Thanked 24,685 Times in 11,248 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasM View Post
I would say the timing of the supposed leak and the people who leaked it were doing it with that plan. CNN might have a political bias that does not serve the interest of Trump and I doubt Trump will ever serve the interest of free press. But then he is bed fellows with a man who has made the concept of free press in his own country a recent distant memory. (Recent, because the free press emerged post Soviet Union and a few years later when it challenged Putin it was quickly shut down and journalists were simply disappeared).

The facts so far re: Trump

He is a tax dodger
He is a liar (especially in regards to having had meetings with Vlad)
He is a sexist
He is a molester
He is racist (as were his gran pa and great gran pa).
He did not make his money himself, see above.
He is a nepotist
He is a denier of Climate Change as caused by mankind -and there is something very wrong with that
He is a pussy grabber

Some conjecture and theories so far, re: Trump

He colluded with the Russians to gain power, it suits Russia incredibly to have someone so devicive in power and someone who will bend to Russian will when needed.

He is into watersports

He pushed for those e-mails to be released at exactly the right time.

He loves the Fake News outlets, because he knows they are supporting him, and they are mostly run by Alt Right neo fascist conspiracy theorists.
Good summary, just added bold...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #1963  
Old 12.01.2017, 17:53
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,009
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,731 Times in 7,006 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
I think they are always making judgment calls, and then get judged afterwards on how valid and responsible it was.

When asked yesterday what should be done to reform news, Trump said he will not recommend reforms, he will simply recommend good ones, and if any, the journalists need to find their own moral compasses. I applaud that.

There is no need for a witch hunt, nor a black list. The journalists' reputation and credibility simply rise and fall along with the decisions they make.
Who checks the journalist's name when they read an article?
Who remembers who wrote what yesterday or earlier?
How many journalists use pseudonyms anyway?
Who knows what the reputation and credibility of any particular journalist is?

The overwhelming majority of people stay at the macro level of the name of the media outlet!
Who even knows the name of the journalist who published the Buzzfeed story, no cheating now
Reply With Quote
  #1964  
Old 12.01.2017, 17:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,009
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,731 Times in 7,006 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 yards View Post
Unfortunately it may be the former, as the intelligence operative was supposedly hired by supporters of Hillary Clinton -- so if s/he had dug up dirt on Trump, one would expect it to have been used in the lead-up to the election.
The intelligence operative is claimed to be ex-MI6 officer Christopher Steele.
He handed over the stuff mid last year to the people who hired him. I assume it was not used because of the verification issue.

He has a solid reputation and is not known as someone who fabricates!
Reply With Quote
  #1965  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,452
Groaned at 1,385 Times in 1,073 Posts
Thanked 28,159 Times in 13,455 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirB View Post
Except for being wrong.
Except, it's not wrong.

And further, it's irrelevant.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #1966  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:01
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,202
Groaned at 108 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 15,003 Times in 4,842 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marton View Post
He has a solid reputation and is not known as someone who fabricates!
He was relying on second hand sources i.e. he hasn't been to Russia in over 20 years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #1967  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:08
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 258
Groaned at 142 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasM View Post
I would say the timing of the supposed leak and the people who leaked it were doing it with that plan. CNN might have a political bias that does not serve the interest of Trump and I doubt Trump will ever serve the interest of free press. But then he is bed fellows with a man who has made the concept of free press in his own country a recent distant memory. (Recent, because the free press emerged post Soviet Union and a few years later when it challenged Putin it was quickly shut down and journalists were simply disappeared).

The facts so far re: Trump

He is a tax dodger
He is a liar (especially in regards to having had meetings with Vlad)
He is a sexist
He is a molester
He is racist (as were his gran pa and great gran pa).
He did not make his money himself, see above.
He is a nepotist
He is a denier of Climate Change as caused by mankind.

Some conjecture and theories so far, re: Trump

He colluded with the Russians to gain power, it suits Russia incredibly to have someone so devicive in power and someone who will bend to Russian will when needed.

He is into watersports

He pushed for those e-mails to be released at exactly the right time.

He loves the Fake News outlets, because he knows they are supporting him, and they are mostly run by Alt Right neo fascist conspiracy theorists.
Hillary must've been a real shitbag to lose to a bloke this bad eh?

Last edited by kriss kross; 12.01.2017 at 20:06. Reason: Typo :)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #1968  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,550
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,561 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
I think you totally missed the point. That kind of control of perspectives is what takes place in leftist thinking. Like he said, everyone needs to develop their own moral compass.

Nonsense.

Framing is rampant along the spectrum of thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #1969  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:13
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,707
Groaned at 91 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,826 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2lemans View Post
Except, it's not wrong.

And further, it's irrelevant.

Tom
I've heard many opinions (not facts) I this topic, but this is the first time I've heard someone call it irrelevant. It's certainly not irrelevant to millions of Bangladeshis who will soon be underwater.

The consensus of the huge majority of scientists on this topic is overwhelming agreement that humans have an effect on climate change. What do you know that they don't?

More saliently, if you believe the jury is still out and we don't know if we have an effect or not, surely the sensible thing to do is to stop anyway until we can prove that we don't have an effect, before it is irreversible?
__________________
www.pubquiz.ch - for all your Quiz needs!
Reply With Quote
  #1970  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:26
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,328
Groaned at 347 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 14,159 Times in 8,142 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marton View Post
The intelligence operative is claimed to be ex-MI6 officer Christopher Steele.
He handed over the stuff mid last year to the people who hired him. I assume it was not used because of the verification issue.

He has a solid reputation and is not known as someone who fabricates!
And who's now gone into hiding.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38591382
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #1971  
Old 12.01.2017, 18:40
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirB View Post
You think he will be an equal denigrator of things he agrees with and disagrees with. Extreme naivety.

You were just after saying that CNN is finished because Trump doesn't like their viewpoint.
No, CNN is not finished, it was only discredited. They may see management changes, maybe.

CNN is really just a content delivery platform. It appears to be franchisable.

Are you thinking perhaps the US is a totalitarian country? I get the sense you don't really understand how these things work.
Reply With Quote
  #1972  
Old 12.01.2017, 19:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,009
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,731 Times in 7,006 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
No, CNN is not finished, it was only discredited. They may see management changes, maybe.

CNN is really just a content delivery platform. It appears to be franchisable.

Are you thinking perhaps the US is a totalitarian country? I get the sense you don't really understand how these things work.
Unlikely to see management changes.
Breitbart has been discredited many times but their chairman still manages to be Trump's chief strategist.
He has said he will resign from Breitbart but like his master he may found it is a step too far
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1973  
Old 12.01.2017, 19:23
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marton View Post
Unlikely to see management changes.
Time Warner owns CNN. Time Warner needs Trump's favor. Chances are someone at CNN is being raked over the coals.

Last edited by Phos; 12.01.2017 at 20:48.
Reply With Quote
  #1974  
Old 12.01.2017, 19:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,550
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,561 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
Time Warner owns CNN. Time Warner needs Trump's favor. Chances are somewhat at CNN is being raked over the coals.
Why does TW need Trump's favor? I'm genuinely curious.


ETA : answered my own question. Because of the ATT thing. Ok. Maybe so.
Reply With Quote
  #1975  
Old 12.01.2017, 19:57
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,707
Groaned at 91 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,826 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

So the USA isn't a totalitarian country, but the media needs the favor of the man in charge.

Please start making some sense.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #1976  
Old 12.01.2017, 20:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,550
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,561 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirB View Post
So the USA isn't a totalitarian country, but the media needs the favor of the man in charge.

Please start making some sense.
Actually, I think it's a business thing. AT&T and Time Warner want to merge and PEOTUS has spoken out against it. I guess TW wants to butter him up so he'll give his blessing. Usually, Presidents neither comment on such things nor do they advertise companies (like LL Bean), but all bets are off with this.....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #1977  
Old 12.01.2017, 20:30
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,281
Groaned at 180 Times in 129 Posts
Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,165 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriss kross View Post
Hillary must've been a real shitbag to lose to a bloke this bad eh?
The sad thing is she isn't, she is actually a very good politician and diplomat, you should check her resume if you want to see someone who was actually fit to be the President of Murica. Somewhere along the way, could've bin the Ruskies or the Alt-Right, a picture of her as some sort of evil wench emerged. Also you just need to see what sort of person the average Trump supporter is, i.e IQ, level of education, political and religious beliefs, and age, they all paint a rather idiotic picture. Again trump won, but not on actual numbers of votes! and also because a large demographic proportion of those eligible to vote abstained, as they could see neither of the candidates as representational of their own needs. Its very sad, but other factors include info bubbles and social media allowing the dissemination of fake news.

Tom, mankind is unquestionably responsible to an acceleration of climate change. green house gases are a prime example, but don't let that get in the way of a good jaunt around the Ticiner alps on yer bike, at least in the future there'll be a lot less snow and for shorter periods of time so the bike touring season will be much longer.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
This user groans at TobiasM for this post:
  #1978  
Old 12.01.2017, 20:46
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,393
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirB View Post
So the USA isn't a totalitarian country, but the media needs the favor of the man in charge.

Please start making some sense.
Because Trump can prevent a TimeWarner AT&T merger.

Makes sense yet?

Obviously, your concept of the role of news media is really for some other distant land or culture.
Reply With Quote
  #1979  
Old 12.01.2017, 20:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,009
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,731 Times in 7,006 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasM View Post
The sad thing is she isn't, she is actually a very good politician and diplomat, you should check her resume if you want to see someone who was actually fit to be the President of Murica. Somewhere along the way, could've bin the Ruskies or the Alt-Right, a picture of her as some sort of evil wench emerged. Also you just need to see what sort of person the average Trump supporter is, i.e IQ, level of education, political and religious beliefs, and age, they all paint a rather idiotic picture. Again trump won, but not on actual numbers of votes! and also because a large demographic proportion of those eligible to vote abstained, as they could see neither of the candidates as representational of their own needs. Its very sad, but other factors include info bubbles and social media allowing the dissemination of fake news.

Tom, mankind is unquestionably responsible to an acceleration of climate change. green house gases are a prime example, but don't let that get in the way of a good jaunt around the Ticiner alps on yer bike, at least in the future there'll be a lot less snow and for shorter periods of time so the bike touring season will be much longer.
"at least in the future there'll be a lot less snow and for shorter periods of time" Nobody can forecast the effects of global warming on our climate; could be less snow or more snow.
Depends on what happens to the Gulf Stream, the Jet stream &&&&
Reply With Quote
  #1980  
Old 12.01.2017, 20:50
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,707
Groaned at 91 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,826 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Trump be a Good President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post
Because Trump can prevent a TimeWarner AT&T merger.

Makes sense yet?

Obviously, your concept of the role of news media is really for some other distant land or culture.
So one man can prevent business mergers. Not totalitarian at all then.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Hillary Clinton run for president again? PanFastic International affairs/politics 159 09.10.2018 02:31
Poll: Will Trump win the 2020 elections? k_and_e International affairs/politics 14 05.06.2018 22:06
A generic "will my salary be good enough" post Larsh Employment 51 12.12.2017 12:51
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16
Shall I inform my employer that I will be self employed or be a owner of a company? Broth76 Business & entrepreneur 6 09.07.2012 16:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0