Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #641  
Old 30.12.2016, 17:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,510
Groaned at 324 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 13,777 Times in 7,111 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
As someone who knows a good few farmers in Germany I doubt too many fake refugees are interested in outcompeting the Poles for those kind of arduous jobs. In fact quite a few of Eastern European farm labourers are super pissed off that they work so hard while others get more for doing nothing....
The kind of really hard work which breaks your back and leaves you in the care of health system from "back home" (jobs in agriculture included, but also in factories, transportation etc) is done by Eastern-Europeans. Who don't complain and work hard for very long hours. But hey, nobody would ever admit this.

And no, people are not pissed-off at anything. They'd rather be happy that all these Western European countries stop this continuous harassment of Eastern-Europe. Not much, eh?
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #642  
Old 30.12.2016, 18:11
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,745
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,099 Times in 8,029 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
But hey, nobody would ever admit this.
While I agree with your post is this bit wrong. I am from a wine growing area (the Mosel valley) and harvesting grapes in the extremely steep hills is the most back breaking work I know. The harvesting season is short and the wineries need to get the grapes in on the exact right time.

Every year do the local authorities try to bring in local unemployed who either don't show up in the first place or get "ill" after their first day. The wineries then are simply short of manpower. So they rather hire Eastern Europeans even if they are by now not as cheap as they used to or as everyone believes (because the wineries cannot let them work off the books easily, the local tax authority knows how many people it takes...). So they are hired because they get the job done and do so on time. Not because of the costs. And everyone not just admits it, but is rather angry about the local "perennial unemployed". In my home area are the Syrian refugees willing to work hard in the wineries more than welcome as it has been increasingly hard to even get people from Poland to do the job as there are easier manual jobs around...
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #643  
Old 30.12.2016, 18:14
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 466
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
Not too many refugees are interested in drinking alcohol; it is against their religion
because religious people are known for their lack of hypocrisy

and if hypocrisy fails you, you can always safely fall back on chewing qat
The following 5 users would like to thank manwithnoname for this useful post:
  #644  
Old 30.12.2016, 18:20
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 187 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
Not too many refugees are interested in drinking alcohol; it is against their religion
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesel...a-1073612.html

Sure.
The following 3 users would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #645  
Old 30.12.2016, 19:24
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
In my home area are the Syrian refugees willing to work hard in the wineries more than welcome as it has been increasingly hard to even get people from Poland to do the job as there are easier manual jobs around...
If you look at Sweden, where they have a well developed integration system for refugees, after 15 years of living there, only about 1 of 3 has a job! (source) They say they lack the needed skill sets needed to succeed (low-skilled jobs are NOT in demand), but I would also guess there is little incentive for them to work if they can just live off the social welfare teet.

Quote:
But many refugees simply lack the skills for Sweden’s job market. The issue is not unique to Sweden. In a report published in September, the OECD and UNHCR found that many employers do not see recruiting refugees as a business opportunity, but as a “CSR” (corporate social responsibility) issue. Large employers made a big fuss about providing apprenticeships and mentoring schemes, but few offer jobs. The obstacles employers cite include uncertainty about refugees’ qualifications and their right to work, sceptical public opinion, and worries that language barriers will mean lower productivity.
The concerns reflect changes in Sweden’s employment market. Fewer than 5% of jobs are now low-skilled, requiring less than a high-school qualification, compared with 9% in Germany and 16% in Spain. Countries such as Greece and Italy have larger shadow economies, helping explain why refugees there have higher employment levels than natives. “High-school diplomas are Sweden’s biggest divider,” says Anna Breman, chief economist at Swedbank. Nearly all Swedes have them, yet only half of new arrivals do, according to government statistics.
http://www.economist.com/news/financ...ees-sweden-are
The following 2 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #646  
Old 30.12.2016, 20:16
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,886
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,603 Times in 4,677 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
If you look at Sweden, where they have a well developed integration system for refugees, after 15 years of living there, only about 1 of 3 has a job! (source)
What the source actually says is...

Quote:
After 15 years in Sweden, 34% of refugees work (non-subsidized) or run a company.
That does not equate to 66% of refugees being unemployed after 15 years in Sweden. What are the figures for the number of them in full time education, retired, invalid, voluntary workers or working part-time whilst raising a family? 'Non-subsidised' could mean that there are full-time workers in receipt of child benefits, tax credits, etc...
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #647  
Old 30.12.2016, 20:40
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
What the source actually says is...


That does not equate to 66% of refugees being unemployed after 15 years in Sweden. What are the figures for the number of them in full time education, retired, invalid, voluntary workers or working part-time whilst raising a family? 'Non-subsidised' could mean that there are full-time workers in receipt of child benefits, tax credits, etc...
"Retired" after not working for 15 years? Ok, sounds good Or in school for 15 years? Hmmm.. I think you are being on the generous side, considering the last I checked the bulk of incoming "refugees" were young, *abled-bodied, working-aged men

*Abled-bodied = capable of traveling thousands of kilometers

In any case, at least we both agree that "refugees" will not give a boost to the workforce and will put a drain on the economy.
  #648  
Old 30.12.2016, 20:55
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,886
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,603 Times in 4,677 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
"Retired" after not working for 15 years? Ok, sounds good Or in school for 15 years? Hmmm.. I think you are being on the generous side, considering the last I checked the bulk of incoming "refugees" were young, *abled-bodied, working-aged men
You link is for refugees circa 2016. Do you have a breakdown of who the refugees were that were accepted by Sweden 15yrs ago with their ages? If a refugee from 2001 was 6yrs old or younger, there's every chance they could still be in full time education. If they were in their late 40's or more, they could well be retired by now. So, does the 34% relates Sweden's entire refugee intake for 2001, and what are the stats for refugees who were between approx. 6 and 45 yrs old when they entered Sweden in 2001?
  #649  
Old 30.12.2016, 21:06
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,745
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,099 Times in 8,029 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
If you look at Sweden, where they have a well developed integration system for refugees, after 15 years of living there, only about 1 of 3 has a job! (source) They say they lack the needed skill sets needed to succeed (low-skilled jobs are NOT in demand), but I would also guess there is little incentive for them to work if they can just live off the social welfare teet.
If you look at Sweden will you find that most low income jobs a subsidized, so they are not counted in your statistic. Same is true in Germany, but to a lesser extent: If you make less than Hartz 4 will the government top up. The difference I have experienced first hand is that most immigrants actually WANT to work but won't be able to as sheep herding skills are in low demand. So they end up doing what is called in Germany "1-Euro jobs", which are subsidized. My mom was a teacher for girls who did not manage to finish the lowes secondary education - she gave courses in cooking, cleaning and so on. After 30 years was she tougher on her girls than most of the armchair politicians on this thread ever will be in real life - but she'd still have a more balanced world view.


I can tell you that she loved her Turkish girls over the locals all the time. Because they honestly at least tried... Being an immigrant with few options is one thing. You will understand how important education is and do everything to get your kids into a better situation than yourself. In some cultures did this unfortunately mostly apply to "your sons" instead of kids, but even that was better than the local families that were living off social welfare for generations. They literally did not know what working or a regular lifestyle was as they had no family member who ever did so for generations. Politicians love to use terms like "parallel society" when it comes to Muslims, but it was much more true for the typical "Hartz-4 crowd"...
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #650  
Old 30.12.2016, 21:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,608
Groaned at 402 Times in 347 Posts
Thanked 17,159 Times in 9,240 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
If you look at Sweden will you find that most low income jobs a subsidized, so they are not counted in your statistic. Same is true in Germany, but to a lesser extent: If you make less than Hartz 4 will the government top up. The difference I have experienced first hand is that most immigrants actually WANT to work but won't be able to as sheep herding skills are in low demand. So they end up doing what is called in Germany "1-Euro jobs", which are subsidized. My mom was a teacher for girls who did not manage to finish the lowes secondary education - she gave courses in cooking, cleaning and so on. After 30 years was she tougher on her girls than most of the armchair politicians on this thread ever will be in real life - but she'd still have a more balanced world view.


I can tell you that she loved her Turkish girls over the locals all the time. Because they honestly at least tried... Being an immigrant with few options is one thing. You will understand how important education is and do everything to get your kids into a better situation than yourself. In some cultures did this unfortunately mostly apply to "your sons" instead of kids, but even that was better than the local families that were living off social welfare for generations. They literally did not know what working or a regular lifestyle was as they had no family member who ever did so for generations. Politicians love to use terms like "parallel society" when it comes to Muslims, but it was much more true for the typical "Hartz-4 crowd"...
In UK there is also an "underclass" where family members have not worked for generations. I remember the daughter of a friend who had recently qualified as a welfare worker. She was somewhat shocked on her first visit to such a family for their daughter to ask "When can I get my own social worker and move out into my own place"!
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #651  
Old 31.12.2016, 10:58
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 850
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,667 Times in 698 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
In UK there is also an "underclass" where family members have not worked for generations. I remember the daughter of a friend who had recently qualified as a welfare worker. She was somewhat shocked on her first visit to such a family for their daughter to ask "When can I get my own social worker and move out into my own place"!
In the same vein, I was going to point out that Trump's election was partly due to the same problem in the US - less and less work for the unqualified. His rash promise to bring back miners' jobs was part of his attraction. He won't.

Mainly automation, and also the demon globalization, have destroyed these jobs for ever. Whether refugees or not, I have no idea what we are going to ask the unqualified to do. Provide services for the aging rich?
The following 2 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
  #652  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:08
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,885
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Yes that is about it, employment as cleaners, delivery drivers, and personal care are all that can be done by the unqualified.
  #653  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Merkel: Islamist terror is 'greatest threat' to Germany

After inviting a million and a half Muslims to come and live in Germany. Who would have thought?
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #654  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:17
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 466
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
Yes that is about it, employment as cleaners, delivery drivers, and personal care are all that can be done by the unqualified.
especially drivers will be gone in a matter of years. basically no jobs left in transport sector.
This user would like to thank manwithnoname for this useful post:
  #655  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:33
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,886
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,603 Times in 4,677 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
Merkel: Islamist terror is 'greatest threat' to Germany

After inviting a million and a half Muslims to come and live in Germany. Who would have thought?
And I counter you with this...

Quote:
A fourth man has been charged with preparing for an act of terrorism over the alleged Islamic State inspired Christmas terror plot..

The Broadmeadows man, 22, was remanded to appear in court on Saturday
Media were banned from attending the out of sessions hearing in a move rarely made by police.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...d6fc03930cd537

Get with the programme Loz. It doesn't matter how many Muslims or refugees a country has. Daesh don't care about that and it doesn't make their 'work' much easier or harder.

Quote:
especially drivers will be gone in a matter of years. basically no jobs left in transport sector.
How do you work that one out? How will goods be transported? Who will deliver all the online shopping people do? Or have you developed a teleportation device?
  #656  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:34
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
Merkel: Islamist terror is 'greatest threat' to Germany

After inviting a million and a half Muslims to come and live in Germany. Who would have thought?
Oh wait a minute mister, this isn't an accredited source.
The following 4 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #657  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:54
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 187 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

To try to understand your point I clicked on the link but it's hidden behind a paywall... what was the point exactly ??

Quote:
View Post
Get with the programme Loz. It doesn't matter how many Muslims or refugees a country has. Daesh don't care about that and it doesn't make their 'work' much easier or harder.
When you write that "it doesn't matter" how many crimes - including murders and rapes have been committed in Europe in the last year by "refugees" - do their victims matter ??? Kindly note the disproportionate rate of serious crime committed by such people. If those "refugees" weren't present how would those crimes have been possible...

"Or have you developed a teleportation device? "
This user would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #658  
Old 31.12.2016, 13:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
And I counter you with this...


http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...d6fc03930cd537

Get with the programme Loz. It doesn't matter how many Muslims or refugees a country has. Daesh don't care about that and it doesn't make their 'work' much easier or harder.
What? I don't see too many radicalised atheists doing ISIS work.

More muslims = more chance that you have jihadist terrorists. It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

Ps, your link is behind a paywall.
  #659  
Old 31.12.2016, 14:25
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 466
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post

How do you work that one out? How will goods be transported? Who will deliver all the online shopping people do? Or have you developed a teleportation device?
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-f...abor-20160924/

i am working on the teleportation device but it might take a while.
This user would like to thank manwithnoname for this useful post:
  #660  
Old 31.12.2016, 14:33
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,608
Groaned at 402 Times in 347 Posts
Thanked 17,159 Times in 9,240 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truck crashes into a Berlin Christmas market

Quote:
View Post
What? I don't see too many radicalised atheists doing ISIS work.

More muslims = more chance that you have jihadist terrorists. It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

Ps, your link is behind a paywall.
"More muslims = more chance that you have jihadist terrorists. It's not that hard a concept to grasp."
More people =more chance of converts to Islam = more terrorists.
Compulsory birth control is the answer
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Closed Thread

Tags
berlin




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tram crashes into Coop - Zurich transport delays grumpygrapefruit Transportation/driving 6 30.12.2014 17:35
Romanian thiefs break into truck while moving on highway idefix General off-topic 6 14.06.2012 14:52
Air Berlin special offers for Christmas 2011 Sbrinz Transportation/driving 1 15.11.2011 11:26
Digger crashes into Swiss family home The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 10.08.2011 13:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0