English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting) (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/265814-all-about-alt-right-wake-anti-muslim-shooting.html)

Russkov 31.01.2017 18:17

All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
The latest shooting in Quebec City showed us yet again how dangerous the alt-right and white supremacist ideologies can be. Let's not forget that one of the worst mass shootings of the last decade had similar motivations. It's even a recently-highlighted issue affecting US law enforcement.

How dangerous are these people and their beliefs, especially in recent times when they've been emboldened by Trump?

Should the people who share these ideologies keep an eye out for radicalisation within their midst and apologise on their behalf?

How small are Trump's hands?

Just asking questions.

AbFab 31.01.2017 18:28

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Create a vacuum and it will be filled...

TobiasM 31.01.2017 18:34

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkov (Post 2733320)

How small are Trump's hands?

Probably in proportion to his penis.

cyrus 31.01.2017 18:48

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
A lot of people wonder why we use the term alt-right when neo nazi is just fine.

Stormfront, the home of nazis on the internet, has long been a common link between home grown and foreign right wing terrorists, predating the alt-right.

With trump in power though, attacks from these guys will probably decrease as they'll feel like they're winning. Worse, they'll join the newly expanding security forces keen to apply their views on immigrants.

Blueangel 31.01.2017 19:36

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrus (Post 2733346)
Stormfront, the home of nazis on the internet, has long been a common link between home grown and foreign right wing terrorists, predating the alt-right.

The last I knew about them was that being a member could land you on foreign watchlists but not on the US terror watchlist, but I am going back to about 2009/10.

Guest 31.01.2017 20:21

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
I find it hilarious that liberals have had to invent a Neo Nazi doomsday scenario in an attempt to be taken more seriously. It's having the polar opposite effect.

manwithnoname 31.01.2017 20:28

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkov (Post 2733320)

How small are Trump's hands?

Just asking questions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.49fc5aaf1bab

because his hands looked so big on obamas puny shoulder it mustve been photoshopped, which it wasnt.

they double-slapped themselves by admitting the hands look big and then produce and spread fakenews :D

manwithnoname 31.01.2017 20:33

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrus (Post 2733346)
A lot of people wonder why we use the term alt-right when neo nazi is just fine.

Stormfront, the home of nazis on the internet, has long been a common link between home grown and foreign right wing terrorists, predating the alt-right.

With trump in power though, attacks from these guys will probably decrease as they'll feel like they're winning. Worse, they'll join the newly expanding security forces keen to apply their views on immigrants.

alt right is easier because more vague. everyone has a different definition. so, you can include everyone you dont like in it and not get called out for godwins law.

i think the alt right term started out meaning something different but by now its pretty much synonymous to neo nazi and/or radical christian.

cyrus 31.01.2017 20:41

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by manwithnoname (Post 2733394)
alt right is easier because more vague. everyone has a different definition. so, you can include everyone you dont like in it and not get called out for godwins law.

The alt right coined the term themselves. It's not used to describe people you don't like, they prefer it. Using the term plays into their hands as it softens their image.

manwithnoname 31.01.2017 20:48

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrus (Post 2733404)
The alt right coined the term themselves. It's not used to describe people you don't like, they prefer it. Using the term plays into their hands as it softens their image.

yes it did create the term, like i said, it meant something different. the media didnt understand it fully and took it to mean the nazis (or deliberately warping it to that).

if people want to be called alt right it is because they hold the term to mean something different than you hold it.

nazis are fine being called nazis, or white supremacists or arians or whatever the fck.

cyrus 31.01.2017 20:50

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2733380)
I find it hilarious that liberals have had to invent a Neo Nazi doomsday scenario in an attempt to be taken more seriously. It's having the polar opposite effect.

I get that a lot of the nazis don't think of themselves as nazis because they're not picking on jews, and their racist views are very well formed racist views and therefore not racist.

Guest 31.01.2017 20:52

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrus (Post 2733412)
I get that a lot of the nazis don't think of themselves as nazis because they're not picking on jews, and their racist views are very well formed racist views and therefore not racist.

Or by the fact they're not nazis.

cyrus 31.01.2017 20:55

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by manwithnoname (Post 2733411)
nazis are fine being called nazis, or white supremacists or arians or whatever the fck.

I disagree, the smart ones are very aware of the negative connotations.

cyrus 31.01.2017 20:56

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2733413)
Or by the fact they're not nazis.

Well, technically, they can't go back and join the ss, sure.

MusicChick 31.01.2017 20:57

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
This is a bit funny. If extreme lack of emotional control means nazi, then majority of political spectrum seems to fit the definition these days.

Would anyone care to give a few alt right popular names?

I don't care for -isms nor short lived definitions, I am just curious.

Serk 31.01.2017 20:58

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
I'm just here to read Phos and Marton, where are they?:D

cyrus 31.01.2017 21:00

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 2733420)
This is a bit funny. If extreme lack of emotional control means nazi, then majority of political spectrum seems to fit the definition these days.

Would anyone care to give a few alt right popular names?

I don't care for -isms nor short lived definitions, I am just curious.

No ones saying they lack emotional control in general, probably the opposite, it's a well managed legitimization.

EDIT: In short if you're labeling yourself as alt-right and don't think you share their extreme views, it's you that's been duped into thinking they're less nasty than they are. They grew out of racist boards and and have never been anything less than neo nazi.

JagWaugh 31.01.2017 21:02

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrus (Post 2733414)
I disagree, the smart ones are very aware of the negative connotations.

Actually, I think it's the duality of the responses which attracts the use of the symbology and terminology - they bring a response from both the like minded and the critics. (kind of like Trump)

manwithnoname 31.01.2017 21:02

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrus (Post 2733414)
I disagree, the smart ones are very aware of the negative connotations.

yeah right.
like i said, you can put everyone you dont like under the term alt right and by extension call them nazi that way.

cyrus 31.01.2017 21:05

Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by manwithnoname (Post 2733426)
yeah right.
like i said, you can put everyone you dont like under the term alt right and by extension call them nazi that way.

They were never anything less, they might have persuaded you that they aren't but that was pretty much the plan.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0