Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.01.2017, 17:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

The latest shooting in Quebec City showed us yet again how dangerous the alt-right and white supremacist ideologies can be. Let's not forget that one of the worst mass shootings of the last decade had similar motivations. It's even a recently-highlighted issue affecting US law enforcement.

How dangerous are these people and their beliefs, especially in recent times when they've been emboldened by Trump?

Should the people who share these ideologies keep an eye out for radicalisation within their midst and apologise on their behalf?

How small are Trump's hands?

Just asking questions.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
This user groans at Russkov for this post:
  #2  
Old 31.01.2017, 17:28
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,359
Groaned at 314 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 9,787 Times in 3,439 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Create a vacuum and it will be filled...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 31.01.2017, 17:34
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,426
Groaned at 182 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,259 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post

How small are Trump's hands?
Probably in proportion to his penis.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
This user groans at TobiasM for this post:
  #4  
Old 31.01.2017, 17:48
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,956
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,477 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

A lot of people wonder why we use the term alt-right when neo nazi is just fine.

Stormfront, the home of nazis on the internet, has long been a common link between home grown and foreign right wing terrorists, predating the alt-right.

With trump in power though, attacks from these guys will probably decrease as they'll feel like they're winning. Worse, they'll join the newly expanding security forces keen to apply their views on immigrants.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 31.01.2017, 18:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,950
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 7,747 Times in 3,617 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
Stormfront, the home of nazis on the internet, has long been a common link between home grown and foreign right wing terrorists, predating the alt-right.
The last I knew about them was that being a member could land you on foreign watchlists but not on the US terror watchlist, but I am going back to about 2009/10.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.01.2017, 19:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

I find it hilarious that liberals have had to invent a Neo Nazi doomsday scenario in an attempt to be taken more seriously. It's having the polar opposite effect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 31.01.2017, 19:50
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,956
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,477 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
I find it hilarious that liberals have had to invent a Neo Nazi doomsday scenario in an attempt to be taken more seriously. It's having the polar opposite effect.
I get that a lot of the nazis don't think of themselves as nazis because they're not picking on jews, and their racist views are very well formed racist views and therefore not racist.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 31.01.2017, 19:33
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 478
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
A lot of people wonder why we use the term alt-right when neo nazi is just fine.

Stormfront, the home of nazis on the internet, has long been a common link between home grown and foreign right wing terrorists, predating the alt-right.

With trump in power though, attacks from these guys will probably decrease as they'll feel like they're winning. Worse, they'll join the newly expanding security forces keen to apply their views on immigrants.
alt right is easier because more vague. everyone has a different definition. so, you can include everyone you dont like in it and not get called out for godwins law.

i think the alt right term started out meaning something different but by now its pretty much synonymous to neo nazi and/or radical christian.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.01.2017, 19:41
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,956
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,477 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
alt right is easier because more vague. everyone has a different definition. so, you can include everyone you dont like in it and not get called out for godwins law.
The alt right coined the term themselves. It's not used to describe people you don't like, they prefer it. Using the term plays into their hands as it softens their image.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.01.2017, 19:48
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 478
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
The alt right coined the term themselves. It's not used to describe people you don't like, they prefer it. Using the term plays into their hands as it softens their image.
yes it did create the term, like i said, it meant something different. the media didnt understand it fully and took it to mean the nazis (or deliberately warping it to that).

if people want to be called alt right it is because they hold the term to mean something different than you hold it.

nazis are fine being called nazis, or white supremacists or arians or whatever the fck.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.01.2017, 21:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 262
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
A lot of people wonder why we use the term alt-right when neo nazi is just fine.
Quote:
View Post
So I guess the question to you would be, what are you doing about the extreme alt right other than electing them?
Is Trump now alt-right?

Does this mean the POTUS is a neo nazi?!

Sounds a bit hysterical.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 31.01.2017, 19:28
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 478
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post

How small are Trump's hands?

Just asking questions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.49fc5aaf1bab

because his hands looked so big on obamas puny shoulder it mustve been photoshopped, which it wasnt.

they double-slapped themselves by admitting the hands look big and then produce and spread fakenews
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.01.2017, 21:10
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
The latest shooting in Quebec City showed us yet again how dangerous the alt-right and white supremacist ideologies can be. Let's not forget that one of the worst mass shootings of the last decade had similar motivations. It's even a recently-highlighted issue affecting US law enforcement.

How dangerous are these people and their beliefs, especially in recent times when they've been emboldened by Trump?

Should the people who share these ideologies keep an eye out for radicalisation within their midst and apologise on their behalf?

How small are Trump's hands?

Just asking questions.
Every time an Islamic radical yells "Allu Akbar" and kills a bunch of people, all the Left-wing people rush to say "he does not represent Islam, "This was an isolated incident", "he was mentally ill", "there is more chance of dying by getting hit with a falling piano than by a Islamic terrorist", etc..

I am just curious to know why the same principal shouldn't be applied in this case? The majority of right-wing Trump supporters are peaceful, hard-working people. The chance of being killed by a "alt-right" person is smaller than being killed by a falling piano. This guy doesn't represent Republicans, the Republican party is the party of peace, etc...

Otherwise it's simply hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
This user groans at esto for this post:
  #14  
Old 31.01.2017, 21:22
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,956
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,477 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
Every time an Islamic radical yells "Allu Akbar" and kills a bunch of people, all the Left-wing people rush to say "he does not represent Islam, "This was an isolated incident", "he was mentally ill", "there is more chance of dying by getting hit with a falling piano than by a Islamic terrorist", etc..

I am just curious to know why the same principal shouldn't be applied in this case? The majority of right-wing Trump supporters are peaceful, hard-working people. The chance of being killed by a "alt-right" person is smaller than being killed by a falling piano. This guy doesn't represent Republicans, the Republican party is the party of peace, etc...

Otherwise it's simply hypocrisy.
The right always complain why aren't other muslims doing more about the terrorists.

So I guess the question to you would be, what are you doing about the extreme alt right other than electing them?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
This user groans at cyrus for this post:
  #15  
Old 31.01.2017, 22:08
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
The right always complain why aren't other muslims doing more about the terrorists.

So I guess the question to you would be, what are you doing about the extreme alt right other than electing them?
I wouldn't call Trump "extreme alt-right", altho right-wing for sure. But I think the right-wing have been pretty tame compared to the extreme left in the last years. Turn on any TV and there are alt-left protesting, rioting, burning cars and attacking people and demanding things when things don't go their way. I know alot of right-wing people who didn't like Obama or his policies, but I can't recall any massive demonstrations or protests about it? (Many especially disliked Obamacare, that drove up health insurance costs and put alot of lower-middle class into poverty.)

During the campaign, many alt-left were showing up at Trump speeches and attacking his supporters. I can't recall a single instance where Trump supporters went to a Clinton rally and attacked her supporters?

I would say in general, the political world has gotten much more polarized the last years, and the alt-right is simply a response to the alt-left. Simple as that. What can be done about it? Politicians stopping with the hyper bi-partisan crap and working towards solutions instead of firing their base up into a frenzy, that includes both left and right wing. Otherwise that's how Civil Wars start

As for the Muslim terrorist thing, that's a much deeper rooted problem, but in general, they need to reform their religion and become a little more relaxed about it. But since it's so ingrained into their culture, that's nothing that's going to happen over-night. But I think we have another thread for that
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 31.01.2017, 22:30
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,745
Groaned at 542 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Alt-right is a media fabricated catch phrase, like Millenials, or gen-X. They started to notice people expressing right wing views not covered by political conventions, so named in Alt-Right.

I don't know of anybody owning up to it. I read they've split along the lines of pro-Israel and anti-semites.

I don't really think the thought and philosophy behind it is conducive to being part of a herd. Perhaps for some wannabees or imposters. Its suppose to be about alternative free political thinking.

For those who aren't secure enough about themselves and what they believe....

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/...arx-120885.jpg
__________________
exceptio probat regulam
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 31.01.2017, 22:40
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 262
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
A lot of people wonder why we use the term alt-right when neo nazi is just fine.
Because the left overused nazi so much that it lost its effectiveness and they needed a new label for anyone who dares to disagree with them?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kriss kross for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 01.02.2017, 00:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,950
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 7,747 Times in 3,617 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
I am just curious to know why the same principal shouldn't be applied in this case? The majority of right-wing Trump supporters are peaceful, hard-working people. The chance of being killed by a "alt-right" person is smaller than being killed by a falling piano. This guy doesn't represent Republicans, the Republican party is the party of peace, etc...

Otherwise it's simply hypocrisy.
Trump doesn't truly represent Republicans or Republican values. He's hijacked the Republican party as the vehicle that will steer him to very top before he pops his clogs.

Trump is just an old, rich dude with his name on a plane and a number of buildings. Plane's rust. Buildings get knocked down to make way for new ones. He has absolutely no loyalty to anyone other than himself and his family, and this is his last shot at immortality.

I feel damned sorry for the poor saps who voted for him and for the Republican party faithful who don't recognise him as one of their own.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 01.02.2017, 00:46
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,542
Groaned at 139 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,628 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Quote:
View Post
Trump doesn't truly represent Republicans or Republican values. He's hijacked the Republican party as the vehicle that will steer him to very top before he pops his clogs.
It depends how you define a republican.
He campaigned on and is enacting paleoconservative republican agenda, spot on:

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/6/11592604...ative-buchanan
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 01.02.2017, 09:17
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,075
Groaned at 1,525 Times in 826 Posts
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,225 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: All about the alt-right (in the wake of anti-Muslim shooting)

Trump killed these people. His ban on Muslims and the Canadian prime minister saying that refugees are welcome provoked this murder. The blood is on Trumps hands!
Quote:
View Post
The latest shooting in Quebec City showed us yet again how dangerous the alt-right and white supremacist ideologies can be. Let's not forget that one of the worst mass shootings of the last decade had similar motivations. It's even a recently-highlighted issue affecting US law enforcement.

How dangerous are these people and their beliefs, especially in recent times when they've been emboldened by Trump?

Should the people who share these ideologies keep an eye out for radicalisation within their midst and apologise on their behalf?

How small are Trump's hands?

Just asking questions.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe) olygirl International affairs/politics 2904 15.11.2018 12:45
The real face of muslim brotherhood in Egypt! SantaCruz International affairs/politics 14 03.12.2012 20:30
All The Trouble With Muslim Movie? Zuger Complaints corner 128 17.09.2012 18:52
Complaining about the loss of the small things in life... Andi1 Complaints corner 2 29.05.2012 08:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0