Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 15.05.2017, 10:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 656
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 453 Times in 287 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
Precisely how I feel, with the notable exception of ecstasy and raves. I was offered a few tokes on the way back from Openair St.Gallen last year. The night train through the mountain from Winterthur to Stadelhofen felt like a roller coaster, and I had to sit by the lake for an hour to get my head straight again. The sensation wasn't unpleasant, but it was vastly more intense than what I'd had 10, 20, 30yrs ago, so it won't be happening again.
Why not? Maybe you went back 10, 20 years so the next time it shouldn't be so roller-coastery.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 15.05.2017, 10:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 656
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 453 Times in 287 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
I swear to high I'm not God, but seriously, stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables.
...and eat lots of honest-to-goodness saturated animal fat.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 15.05.2017, 11:38
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 184 Times in 132 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
. I would honestly expect a well made and controlled essential oil - once it was made by a pharma to the same standards as the other meds they make - to not be much cheaper if not more expensive than the competition. (In my experience does everything get expensive as soon as it is made by a pharma company...) From my experience was it just better for the patients.
CBD oil is produced here in Switzerland and depending on the concentration it can be very expensive. Its alternative Pharma, very professionally packaged and controlled with stringent testing. High dosage CBD can cost nearly 1000.- for 250mg.

Pharmaceutical companies have manufactured synthetics based on CBD because of the stigma associated with cannabis. However using other illegal drugs have never stopped them before, the use of opioids in most heavy pain control medication is a testament to that, however CBD is a much safer option then opioids and is proven to be far less addictive. It seems strange that they dont support its medical use, but thats probably because people can grow it at home and with a little research can refine those active ingredients.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 15.05.2017, 11:59
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,038
Groaned at 99 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 1,070 Times in 556 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
CBD oil is produced here in Switzerland and depending on the concentration it can be very expensive. Its alternative Pharma, very professionally packaged and controlled with stringent testing. High dosage CBD can cost nearly 1000.- for 250mg.

Pharmaceutical companies have manufactured synthetics based on CBD because of the stigma associated with cannabis. However using other illegal drugs have never stopped them before, the use of opioids in most heavy pain control medication is a testament to that, however CBD is a much safer option then opioids and is proven to be far less addictive. It seems strange that they dont support its medical use, but thats probably because people can grow it at home and with a little research can refine those active ingredients.
Because you can't patent it and therefore bank roll it. It comes down to $$$ and not because it's effective. The medical industry is not concerned at all with cures, they only want to manage illness. Please don't buy this "high CBD, low THC" marketing drivel. Research indicates that CBD and THC have a synergistic effect and the most effective seems to be a 1:1 ratio. Charlotte Figi made "CBD only" famous with the Charlottes Web strain but what they failed to mention is eventually that had to start using doses with higher levels of THC. This CBD hype is a ploy to keep THC illegal or to ease into a fully legal market. By itself CBD has some benefits but not nearly as effective if you have a 1:1 or minimum 1:2 ratio.
Don't lose sight of the fact that THC is still the king cannabinoid. It the one that actually kills most cancer cells and severely retards or completely stops the other cells from growing, according to the U.S government.

http://www.medicine.news/2016-01-21-...thy-cells.html
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 15.05.2017, 12:38
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,975
Groaned at 474 Times in 379 Posts
Thanked 21,302 Times in 8,741 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
Don't lose sight of the fact that THC is still the king cannabinoid. It the one that actually kills most cancer cells and severely retards or completely stops the other cells from growing, according to the U.S government.

http://www.medicine.news/2016-01-21-...thy-cells.html
Don't get too excited.

There's been only one clinical trial so far with published results.

I'm sure you appreciate that if a trial is undertaken, the results ought to be published, irrespective of the outcome of the trial.

Quote:
Results have been published from only one clinical trial testing whether cannabinoids can treat cancer in patients, led by Dr Manuel Guzman and his team in Spain. Nine people with advanced, terminal glioblastoma multiforme – an aggressive brain tumour – were given highly purified THC through a tube directly into their brain.

Eight people’s cancers showed some kind of response to the treatment, and one didn’t respond at all. All the patients died within a year, as might be expected for people with cancer this advanced.

The results from this study show that THC given in this way is safe and doesn’t seem to cause significant side effects. But because this was an early stage trial, without a control group, it’s impossible to say whether THC helped to extend their lives. And while it’s certainly not a cure, the trial results suggest that cannabinoids are worth pursuing in clinical trials.
Same source as I gave early in the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 15.05.2017, 13:13
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,038
Groaned at 99 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 1,070 Times in 556 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
Don't get too excited.

There's been only one clinical trial so far with published results.

I'm sure you appreciate that if a trial is undertaken, the results ought to be published, irrespective of the outcome of the trial.



Same source as I gave early in the thread.
Yes, but we have many, many more "observations" on its affect on cancer including patient testimony. I agree its not the best evidence but doesnt science have a saying that goes something like "once is random, twice is luck, three times is a pattern"?
I think we can all agree that more research is needed but some people cant wait that long. I just lost a family member just last week.
My point is, dont be afraid to try it if nothing else is working. I have a strong feeling the research will validate patient testimony.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank California Dreamer for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 15.05.2017, 13:32
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 184 Times in 132 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
Because you can't patent it and therefore bank roll it. It comes down to $$$ and not because it's effective. The medical industry is not concerned at all with cures, they only want to manage illness. Please don't buy this "high CBD, low THC" marketing drivel. Research indicates that CBD and THC have a synergistic effect and the most effective seems to be a 1:1 ratio. Charlotte Figi made "CBD only" famous with the Charlottes Web strain but what they failed to mention is eventually that had to start using doses with higher levels of THC. This CBD hype is a ploy to keep THC illegal or to ease into a fully legal market. By itself CBD has some benefits but not nearly as effective if you have a 1:1 or minimum 1:2 ratio.
Don't lose sight of the fact that THC is still the king cannabinoid. It the one that actually kills most cancer cells and severely retards or completely stops the other cells from growing, according to the U.S government.

http://www.medicine.news/2016-01-21-...thy-cells.html
The problem with THC is it impairs ones ability to do things, its an intoxicating drug, however CBD is the cannabinoid that relaxes the muscles relieves the pain etc. I know I have used both. As for a cure for cancer, well, I think we'll have to disagree on that one, because regardless of what the Pharma companies do regarding profit etc, I think you'll find that no one has been cured of cancer by toking on joints, eating hash cakes or imbibing sensimillia oils, thats not a conspiracy theory, thats a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 15.05.2017, 14:16
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,038
Groaned at 99 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 1,070 Times in 556 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
The problem with THC is it impairs ones ability to do things, its an intoxicating drug, however CBD is the cannabinoid that relaxes the muscles relieves the pain etc. I know I have used both. As for a cure for cancer, well, I think we'll have to disagree on that one, because regardless of what the Pharma companies do regarding profit etc, I think you'll find that no one has been cured of cancer by toking on joints, eating hash cakes or imbibing sensimillia oils, thats not a conspiracy theory, thats a fact.
TCM stated that cannabis was very effective at stopping tumors and cancerous growth. This was stated several thousand years ago. I think saying its a "fact" that no one has cured cancer with cannabis is a bit far fetched and closed minded. As well as saying canabis can cure all cancer or diseases. The simple fact is, we still dont fully understand our basic anatomy so there can be no "facts". Either for, or against. We just need an open mind and cannabis can help with that too.
Its the word cure that throws a wrench into the machine. Can it really cure or can it just make life more managable? I think it depends on your own genetics, constitution and mentality.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank California Dreamer for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 15.05.2017, 15:08
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 184 Times in 132 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
TCM stated that cannabis was very effective at stopping tumors and cancerous growth. This was stated several thousand years ago. I think saying its a "fact" that no one has cured cancer with cannabis is a bit far fetched and closed minded. As well as saying canabis can cure all cancer or diseases. The simple fact is, we still dont fully understand our basic anatomy so there can be no "facts". Either for, or against. We just need an open mind and cannabis can help with that too.
Its the word cure that throws a wrench into the machine. Can it really cure or can it just make life more managable? I think it depends on your own genetics, constitution and mentality.
Hmmm no it's a fact no one has been cured of cancer through cannabis, find and show me the evidence, and i don't mean from a quack holistic aromatherapy site, I mean proven documented evidence! Further to that i dont buy that whole it's a pharma medical conspiracy line either, there are literally millions of chemists working on research, and a lot specifically looking at cancer research that they have not already considered the use of canninaboids in their research seems highly implausible. I am not saying that dope doesn't have medical benefits, i.e as pain relief and as an appetite restorer, I just don't agree with you that it can cure things!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 15.05.2017, 16:02
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,038
Groaned at 99 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 1,070 Times in 556 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm no it's a fact no one has been cured of cancer through cannabis, find and show me the evidence, and i don't mean from a quack holistic aromatherapy site, I mean proven documented evidence! Further to that i dont buy that whole it's a pharma medical conspiracy line either, there are literally millions of chemists working on research, and a lot specifically looking at cancer research that they have not already considered the use of canninaboids in their research seems highly implausible. I am not saying that dope doesn't have medical benefits, i.e as pain relief and as an appetite restorer, I just don't agree with you that it can cure things!
Do you have documented evidence to claim your "fact"? No I don't have it either, but we do have thousands of years worth of observations across multiple cultures around the world.
It cannot cure anything, I agree. It boosts the immune system so the immune system can do its job. It may help certain physiological processes like in the brain for example. But I believe it's the impact it has on the immune system which is why people say it can cure this or that.
Are you really calling aromatherapy quack? Is smell not the strongest link to the brain? And does the brain not have any influence on the process of healing? Why is aromatherapy used in some of the most high end private clinics? If it's quack?
Please don't post anything from quack watch for your argument either. The guy that runs that site is a convicted fraud and works for the AMA. The quack watcher is indeed a quack. I've read a few of his posts where he goes on about the lack of concrete evidence then turns around and uses an (I am not making this up) Amazon book review as concrete evidence against. Lol
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank California Dreamer for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 15.05.2017, 19:34
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
The problem with THC is it impairs ones ability to do things, its an intoxicating drug, however CBD is the cannabinoid that relaxes the muscles relieves the pain etc. I know I have used both. As for a cure for cancer, well, I think we'll have to disagree on that one, because regardless of what the Pharma companies do regarding profit etc, I think you'll find that no one has been cured of cancer by toking on joints, eating hash cakes or imbibing sensimillia oils, thats not a conspiracy theory, thats a fact.
I bought the legal stuff and it did not have the muscle relaxing effect I remember from the "real stuff" from the old days (which did that almost instantly, before I even felt stoned).
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 17.05.2017, 16:59
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
Don't get too excited.

There's been only one clinical trial so far with published results.

I'm sure you appreciate that if a trial is undertaken, the results ought to be published, irrespective of the outcome of the trial.
In an ideal world yes. But when did you last read a paper where the author said, we f#ck@d up spectacularly because we are too incomeptent and the experiment proves nothing either way?

When experiments like that happen, you sweep the results under the rug and move on.

The entire publishing process has an inherent bias towards positive results.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 17.05.2017, 19:45
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,975
Groaned at 474 Times in 379 Posts
Thanked 21,302 Times in 8,741 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
In an ideal world yes. But when did you last read a paper where the author said, we f#ck@d up spectacularly because we are too incomeptent and the experiment proves nothing either way?

When experiments like that happen, you sweep the results under the rug and move on.

The entire publishing process has an inherent bias towards positive results.
But in this case, if the results were positive, they wouldn't have been brushed under the rug so possibly there were a hell of a lot more trials which also produced negative results.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 17.05.2017, 22:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 996
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

I noticed there is a 'Mr Nice' shop just opened in Basel.
By the Tinguely Fountain for those interested.

Online
https://misternice.ch/shop/

Last edited by Fish Paste; 17.05.2017 at 22:56. Reason: url
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fish Paste for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 17.05.2017, 23:01
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 827
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,212 Times in 527 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

This pesky thread...I would love to buy some seeds to grow a couple of plants, and do my own research in achieving immortality. Where can one find some to buy? (No, I don't want to buy them on the internet.)
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 18.05.2017, 00:56
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marijuana reverses aging?

Quote:
View Post
This pesky thread...I would love to buy some seeds to grow a couple of plants, and do my own research in achieving immortality. Where can one find some to buy? (No, I don't want to buy them on the internet.)
You can come and weed my garden for free and as reward you can keep the weeds.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marijuana growth limits onei Food and drink 4 10.06.2014 15:02
Marijuana for medical purposes onei Family matters/health 18 22.04.2013 09:21
Neighbours marijuana smoke - what are our rights? loveissplendid Other/general 18 24.10.2009 17:23
Marijuana in garden babua Other/general 22 30.09.2009 19:16
Marijuana vending machines debydebo International affairs/politics 3 31.01.2008 01:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0