English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   Brits leave Blighty in droves (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/2715-brits-leave-blighty-droves.html)

AbFab 11.12.2006 12:11

Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
10% of Britons now live abroad:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC News
Studies by the Institute for Public Policy Research, published on the BBC News website, indicates that at least 5.5m British-born people live abroad.

The number of British citizens who chose to go permanently abroad doubled from 53,000 in 2001 to 107,000 last year - some 2,000 people a week.

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6210358.stm

Also new arrivals into Britain are coming at the rate of 1000 a week. Will I go back one day and find myself abroad?

Lob 11.12.2006 12:12

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Good 'ol Tony. I assume the last person leaving will turn off the lights? ;)

gbn 11.12.2006 12:40

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lob Rockster
Good 'ol Tony. I assume the last person leaving will turn off the lights? ;)

Once the UK runs out of gas, Russia stops selling it to them, and the nuke plants are decomissioned, they'll turn themselves off...

designer 11.12.2006 13:19

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
I won't be going back any time soon :sunny: CH is too good :)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...itsgrab203.gif
CH looks one shade darker than the normal pink. Our presence here has impacted the map :D

Chavs seem to quadruple every year in UK. When I go back I feel like I am in the middle of some Chav convention. I have even seen chavs with the whole Burberry outfit in Seebach :eek: I swear they are following me :eek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...300px-Chav.jpg

litespeed 11.12.2006 13:24

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Why are they heading Down Under? Right now Australia is nothing more than a dried-out sandpit full of poisonous creatures that want to bite you.:msncool:

gbn 11.12.2006 13:29

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by litespeed
Why are they heading Down Under? Right now Australia is nothing more than a dried-out sandpit full of poisonous creatures that want to bite you.:msncool:

I was reading that wages and perks can be quite good if you're off to Oz as an expat.

There is a skill shortage because all the Aussies are here in Europe.
Arguably, there always has been though ;)

Jazz 11.12.2006 14:34

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lob Rockster
Good 'ol Tony. I assume the last person leaving will turn off the lights? ;)

We'll need to leave the lights on for the all the Aussies moving to Britain...

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/R...-04/04rn54.htm

it must be because they love our Queen so much...:D

designer 11.12.2006 18:12

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Would you say British society is becoming more and more violent? :( Some guy wrote this on the BBC forum (in connection with the fourth prostitute that has gone missing in Ipswich http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...lk/6168697.stm)



Quote:

I suggest it's hard to refute any of the following:

- More people on the streets are carrying knives or guns than at any time in our history.

- There are fewer Police on the streets than ever before.

- Police have never been so curtailed in the immediate action they can take with troublemakers.

- No one can defend themselves or administer justice without fear of litigation.

- Criminals have unprecedented rights.

All adds up to crime ridden streets and fear for many people.
What is your personal experience? Do you agree?

evilshell 11.12.2006 18:17

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
And yet the (Swiss) husband and I are considering a move there. :eek:

Jazz 11.12.2006 18:30

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilshell
And yet the (Swiss) husband and I are considering a move there. :eek:

Maybe you could start up www.swissforum.co.uk. Don't know if you would find many experts on the place though!:msngrin:

Guest 11.12.2006 19:10

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by designer
Would you say British society is becoming more and more violent? :( Some guy wrote this on the BBC forum (in connection with the fourth prostitute that has gone missing in Ipswich http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...lk/6168697.stm)

What is your personal experience? Do you agree?

I suggest it's hard to refute any of the following:

- More people on the streets are carrying knives or guns than at any time in our history.

- There are fewer Police on the streets than ever before.

- Police have never been so curtailed in the immediate action they can take with troublemakers.

- No one can defend themselves or administer justice without fear of litigation.

- Criminals have unprecedented rights.

All adds up to crime ridden streets and fear for many people.

Au contraire:

"- There are fewer Police on the streets than ever before."
Thats because the Police themselves do not consider (unlike many members of the British public) that being on the beat on the streets is the most effecting catching criminals, preventing and solving crime.

"- Police have never been so curtailed in the immediate action they can take with troublemakers."
What about unliumited CCTV, Stop and Search, Right to disperse crowds, extended detention without charge etc etc. Criminal Justice Act refers.

"- No one can defend themselves or administer justice without fear of litigation."
The idea of an individual "administering justice" sounds a bit ominous.

"- Criminals have unprecedented rights."
What like "Right to silence "? or maybe "right to no double jeopardy" ?

dave

designer 11.12.2006 20:28

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
DaveA so would you say

UK is not more violent than say CH?

The amount of fights I see on weekends in England is truly depressing :boxer:

Quote:

Thats because the Police themselves do not consider (unlike many members of the British public) that being on the beat on the streets is the most effecting catching criminals, preventing and solving crime.
It's a reassuring sight though. A guy once nicked my bag while I was at the barbers. I was so depressed as a result that I decided to walk around town. It was my lucky day and I saw the scum bag (the guy who was sitting next to me at the barbers) tucking into his burger at Burger King with my money! Sucker was going through my belongings while eating.

Anyway I did not know what to do as approaching him could have been dangerous. Luckily there was a Bobby on the beat and I explained the situation to him. Well the chav got arrested :D So irrespective of what statistics show seeing a Bobby out and about makes the community feel better. Definitely made me feel better that day :)

Btw I saw the same chav few years later at a bus stop with one of those big ass RAMBO knives. He was carving the bus stop furniture. I saw him first so I quickly walked away :D


Quote:

What about unliumited CCTV, Stop and Search, Right to disperse crowds, extended detention without charge etc etc. Criminal Justice Act refers.
Do they work?


Quote:

The idea of an individual "administering justice" sounds a bit ominous.
I agree. Although house owners should not get into trouble for giving tough love to someone who might have broken into their property :D

Quote:

"- Criminals have unprecedented rights."
What like "Right to silence "? or maybe "right to no double jeopardy" ?
Light sentences maybe? Getting released early?

evilshell 11.12.2006 20:32

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveA
"- Criminals have unprecedented rights."
What like ... "right to no double jeopardy" ?

Say bye-bye to that right in England and Wales. :msnmad:

Guest 12.12.2006 08:24

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Thats right, so when the police make a mess of an investigation, they can have a second go. I think they need a "Not-proven" verdict in England, if new evidence is likely to emerge (eg body not found).

dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilshell
Say bye-bye to that right in England and Wales. :msnmad:


gbn 12.12.2006 08:47

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveA
Thats right, so when the police make a mess of an investigation, they can have a second go. I think they need a "Not-proven" verdict in England, if new evidence is likely to emerge (eg body not found).

dave

For non-Scots: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_l...ven.22_verdict

Lou 12.12.2006 10:11

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveA
Thats right, so when the police make a mess of an investigation, they can have a second go. I think they need a "Not-proven" verdict in England, if new evidence is likely to emerge (eg body not found).

dave

A "Not Proven" verdict usually means that although the jury beleives the defendant is most probably guilty the prosecution have not presented enough evidence to prove the charge beyond reasonable doubt. A person who is found Not Proven is fully aquited of the crime just the same as if the verdict had been not guilty. They are covered by the double-jepordy law which is still valid in Scotland.

spmull06 15.12.2006 00:24

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/...edsriskand.php

DanielL 15.12.2006 01:11

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
I won't be moving home (blighty) anytime soon. Somebody mentioned it before, but whenever i go back to England i almost feel threatened when i'm walking home from the pub. The city centre late in the evening is not a happy place. Hopefully that'll change with the new drinking laws, but we'll see... I do think there's a bit of biffo in every English(wo)man...

Gav 22.12.2006 12:26

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by designer
DaveA so would you say

UK is not more violent than say CH?

The amount of fights I see on weekends in England is truly depressing :boxer:


The crime problem in the UK isn't because of a lack of police or police powers, it's down to the fact that increasing numbers of citizens have no respect for the law or for civilised behaviour. This stems back to their upbringings where their parents failed to give their kids a sense of discipline and what is 'wrong' and 'right'.

The police can't act to enforce moral and social values on the populace, all they can do is try to keep a lid on the trouble that results from this situation. The police are there to enforce the law, not to act as nannies or surrogate parents.


Switzerland certainly has a big advantage right now because people there mainly have respect for the law and 'proper' conduct and instil that in their kids. However, it's plain to see that this is slowly but surely slipping (well, it seemed that way to me).

I'd give it another decade, two at the most, before you see the same levels of thuggish, anti-social behaviour in CH that currently exist in the UK. God knows what the UK will look like by then......


Gav

Guest 22.12.2006 12:45

Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves
 
I think your post summarises the situation very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav
The crime problem in the UK isn't because of a lack of police or police powers, it's down to the fact that increasing numbers of citizens have no respect for the law or for civilised behaviour. This stems back to their upbringings where their parents failed to give their kids a sense of discipline and what is 'wrong' and 'right'.



You will be able to take a look at the UK, using the plethora of CCTV footage, with sound.

The nearest we get here is to squint at who is crossing the pedestrian crossing at Central...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav
I'd give it another decade, two at the most, before you see the same levels of thuggish, anti-social behaviour in CH that currently exist in the UK. God knows what the UK will look like by then......
Gav

dave


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0