Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
There's nothing funny about this. I remember one of the victims claiming she'd been raped over 20yrs ago, but she's only named her attacker over the last few days.
The fallout from something like this is funny, as it becomes oh so clear just how shallow and ruthless so many of these celebrities are. I've zero sympathies for the actresses coming forward now - if you were willing to make a pact with the Devil in order to become famous, make millions and win Oscars, you can't then complain 20 years later about the Devil. And Weinstein won't be the only one that's been up to this. Save your sympathies for the women that turned him down.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #22  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:29
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,002
Groaned at 1,116 Times in 868 Posts
Thanked 48,738 Times in 15,005 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

I don't find it funny. I find it depressing how sexual predation only seems to matter in certain, ill-defined, circumstances.

After Jimmy Savile, why do people still speak of John Peel with admiration? What makes one pervert more acceptable in polite company than another?

It's amazing what people are willing to turn a blind eye to.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,162
Groaned at 265 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 10,456 Times in 5,588 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
The fallout from something like this is funny, as it becomes oh so clear just how shallow and ruthless so many of these celebrities are. I've zero sympathies for the actresses coming forward now - if you were willing to make a pact with the Devil in order to become famous, make millions and win Oscars, you can't then complain 20 years later about the Devil. And Weinstein won't be the only one that's been up to this. Save your sympathies for the women that turned him down.
Maybe they felt they can't fight the "system" back then...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

A couple more gems. There seems to be a remarkable correlation between those that were lecturing us on Trump and those which had the hots for Weinstein

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/569677514559221760

Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
After Jimmy Savile, why do people still speak of John Peel with admiration? What makes one pervert more acceptable in polite company than another?
But Glastonbury! Teenage kicks!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,830
Groaned at 32 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 9,159 Times in 3,874 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
If anybody in Hollywood really cared about the sexual exploitation of women by powerful men, then Bill Clinton would be person non grata, along with Roman Polanski and, no doubt, several other "celebrated" persons.

There seems to be an awful lot of cherrypicking involved when it comes to luvvies' outrage.

#notallsexualpredators
What’s wrong with a little selective outrage? At least someone is trying to do something.

Who’s “anybody” above? Perps aren’t held to any sort of standard, especially if they’re making/have money and victims risk losing jobs, prospects of future work. For the rest, they don’t rock the boat.

But now, there are attempts to take action....maybe they will effect change, just a bit. Maybe not. At least some people are trying.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:36
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,002
Groaned at 1,116 Times in 868 Posts
Thanked 48,738 Times in 15,005 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
But Glastonbury! Teenage kicks!
I can't listen to that song any more, knowing how much that perverted bastard liked it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:39
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,002
Groaned at 1,116 Times in 868 Posts
Thanked 48,738 Times in 15,005 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
What’s wrong with a little selective outrage? At least someone is trying to do something.

Who’s “anybody” above? Perps aren’t held to any sort of standard, especially if they’re making/have money and victims risk losing jobs, prospects of future work. For the rest, they don’t rock the boat.

But now, there are attempts to take action....maybe they will effect change, just a bit. Maybe not. At least some people are trying.
But Bill Clinton and Roman Polanski are still treated like human beings. Seems to me that those "some people" aren't trying hard enough. A pig is a pig and deserves to be treated as such even if he did make some films or is married to a presidential candidate.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,830
Groaned at 32 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 9,159 Times in 3,874 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
The fallout from something like this is funny, as it becomes oh so clear just how shallow and ruthless so many of these celebrities are. I've zero sympathies for the actresses coming forward now - if you were willing to make a pact with the Devil in order to become famous, make millions and win Oscars, you can't then complain 20 years later about the Devil. And Weinstein won't be the only one that's been up to this. Save your sympathies for the women that turned him down.
Why are the women/victims always the ones who are to blame? Why is there not an effort to curtail this behavior in powerful perpetrators?

Oh f*** it. Putting this on ignore. Carry on.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
Why are the women/victims always the ones who are to blame? Why is there not an effort to curtail this behavior in powerful perpetrators?
I never said they're to blame, what I said is that I don't have any sympathy for them.

Wherever there's power, there'll be those that abuse it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 16.10.2017, 20:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,123
Groaned at 1,708 Times in 1,304 Posts
Thanked 31,474 Times in 15,051 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
And that makes it acceptable, humorous, worth a laugh. Alrighty.
No, it makes it REALITY!

Fake news, in other words.

That anyone thinks that this well known, and long standing, situation is news worthy is beyond me.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 16.10.2017, 21:02
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,477
Groaned at 354 Times in 269 Posts
Thanked 14,942 Times in 8,586 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
But Bill Clinton and Roman Polanski are still treated like human beings. Seems to me that those "some people" aren't trying hard enough. A pig is a pig and deserves to be treated as such even if he did make some films or is married to a presidential candidate.
Please do not slander pigs. Call Weinstein what he is a pervert. Nothing to do with pigs.

And yes they do get treated like human beings - because, funnily enough, this sort of behaviour seems to be a purely human trait. What does that say about us as a species, eh?

I'm with Loz1983 on the sympathy part. These women put up with it mostly to further their careers and now are screaming about it 20, 30, 40 years later. It's been an open secret in the industry probably since film was first invented yet they still put up with it. The few times anyone tried to grope me I shouted about it and probably would have slapped their face as well - and yes it was back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Frankly they should be bollocked for not speaking up loudly when it first happened, but no everyone sees them as victims who didn't have any say in what happened to them. Some of the reported incidents yes, that is the case, but being asked to give him a massage and doing it then complaining about it years later? Sorry, you should have said no and walked out of the room.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 16.10.2017, 21:20
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,002
Groaned at 1,116 Times in 868 Posts
Thanked 48,738 Times in 15,005 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
funnily enough, this sort of behaviour seems to be a purely human trait.
Um... you haven't spent much time round animals, have you?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 16.10.2017, 21:35
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,477
Groaned at 354 Times in 269 Posts
Thanked 14,942 Times in 8,586 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Enough to know that if a female don't want it she'll fight not to be mounted by a male. But then they don't have careers to worry about.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Medea Fleecestealer for this post:
  #35  
Old 16.10.2017, 21:46
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,716
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,244 Times in 9,719 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
Please do not slander pigs. Call Weinstein what he is a pervert. Nothing to do with pigs.

And yes they do get treated like human beings - because, funnily enough, this sort of behaviour seems to be a purely human trait. What does that say about us as a species, eh?

I'm with Loz1983 on the sympathy part. These women put up with it mostly to further their careers and now are screaming about it 20, 30, 40 years later. It's been an open secret in the industry probably since film was first invented yet they still put up with it. The few times anyone tried to grope me I shouted about it and probably would have slapped their face as well - and yes it was back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Frankly they should be bollocked for not speaking up loudly when it first happened, but no everyone sees them as victims who didn't have any say in what happened to them. Some of the reported incidents yes, that is the case, but being asked to give him a massage and doing it then complaining about it years later? Sorry, you should have said no and walked out of the room.
I guess we'll never know the number of women who were passed over for roles or had their careers binned because they wouldn't pander to Weinstein's weirdness.

It's also a bit shocking how much gloating there seems to be on here. Yes, some women were propositioned with requests for massages 40 years ago which is obviously demeaning but probably not life-changingly traumatic. However, in that mix there were also women who were raped. Nobody deserves that under any circumstances, and it must take a heart of stone to not draw an ounce of sympathy for them. Often they were very young, naive and star struck, but mostly super-ambitious knowing they were in a hugely competitive industry. If people think this means they were "asking for it" then they need to take a long look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 16.10.2017, 21:58
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 537
Groaned at 187 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Read a good article about my pop music hero David Bowie's thirst for underage groupies - not sure what to do with it honestly.

Even the Strokes Julian Casablancas sang in New York City Cops about "high school girls"...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 16.10.2017, 22:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

It just keeps on giving:

https://twitter.com/MonicaLewinsky/s...32300862181377
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 16.10.2017, 22:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Kate Winslet was so brave that she didn't thank Harvey Weinstein in her Oscar acceptance speech (apparently, Weinstein has been thanked more often than God).

“That was deliberate. That was absolutely deliberate,” Winslet told The Los Angeles Times in an interview on Saturday

Here's Kate Winslet being directed by Roman Polanski.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 16.10.2017, 22:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Quote:
View Post
I can't listen to that song any more, knowing how much that perverted bastard liked it.
Teenage kicks are hard to beat!

Hiding in plain sight.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 16.10.2017, 22:50
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,921
Groaned at 46 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 6,960 Times in 2,357 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Some women don't fight back, they freeze.. and as its all about power, predators like Weinstein know their meat; he has had years to build expert knowledge to disable a young person's defence ability, so any talk that a female should have fought back regardless is complete and utter bollox. He trapped many a female in rooms, isolated them when they were told other people/agents/actors would be there.

This isn't about sex, there were no doubt many women happy to sleep with him.. he was after the ones who would try to say no, he desired the power to frightened, humiliate, shame and dominate women. Young actresses were fresh meat for him. Hope he rots.

Here's Courtney Love a few years ago, and we all know what Hollywood and the media think of her.. Ha! Wonder why:



What I don't get is where's the outcry about known child predators in Hollywood? Why isn't there a big conversation going on about this problem (Nickledoen's Dan Schneider, one of many, I am guessing).. and why is Corey Fieldmann the only one talking about it?
__________________
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
harvey weinstein




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there anything you wish you'd known about Switzerland before you moved? SherLeH Daily life 81 05.08.2014 23:22
Wish upon a Spa.....day at the Women's Activity Club (WAC) in Uster! Where2 Commercial events 0 25.10.2012 11:39
Wish upon a shooting star... or 1000 Calmness Travel/day trips/free time 9 08.10.2011 19:13
Things you wish you could say to someone but you cant gata General off-topic 193 12.07.2010 21:43
Baby items you wish you had brought with you to Switzerland? Switzerland2009 Family matters/health 45 12.03.2009 10:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0