English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   When You Wish Upon a Weinstein (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/275946-when-you-wish-upon-weinstein.html)

Guest 16.10.2017 13:13

When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Anyone else enjoying the fallout over this Harvey Weinstein business? The thin veil that has kept from view what a cesspit Hollywood must be has slipped a little and revealed that not so much has changed there since the 1930s. There's an air of Jimmy Saville about it, in that everyone knew, but nobody spoke up. Celebrities falling over each other to be offended by James Cordon as he dared to joke about what's happened, the line of actors and actresses queuing up to condemn Weinstein after making millions thanks to him, the knee-jerk reaction to expel Weinstein from the Oscars board whilst keeping Roman Polanski and Bill Cosby, the subtle and not so subtle anti-Semitism, oh, and then there's this. It's all too delicious for words.

And to think everyone just laughed off Corey Feldman as a washed up smack head.


Guest 16.10.2017 13:18

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
That article. :msnshock:

Guest 16.10.2017 13:27

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

That article. :msnshock:
The clickbaitiest of clickbait articles :p and, reading between the lines, very subtly anti-semitic.

Guest 16.10.2017 13:32

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2860834)
The clickbaitiest of clickbait articles :p and, reading between the lines, very subtly anti-semitic.

I used to enjoy the Independent. Its online version is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Mind you, I used to read the European too... :msnsick:

bigblue2 16.10.2017 13:38

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
that 'article' is just too dumb for words, seriously seriously dumb, I wouldn't even link to it

Guest 16.10.2017 14:53

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2860823)
Anyone else enjoying the fallout over this Harvey Weinstein business? The thin veil that has kept from view what a cesspit Hollywood must be has slipped a little and revealed that not so much has changed there since the 1930s. There's an air of Jimmy Saville about it, in that everyone knew, but nobody spoke up. Celebrities falling over each other to be offended by James Cordon as he dared to joke about what's happened, the line of actors and actresses queuing up to condemn Weinstein after making millions thanks to him, the knee-jerk reaction to expel Weinstein from the Oscars board whilst keeping Roman Polanski and Bill Cosby, the subtle and not so subtle anti-Semitism, oh, and then there's this. It's all too delicious for words.

Please explain to me what is anti semetic about that article. The author is a muslim, uses islam to explain why sexual harassment is wrong. Is it because the author refers to Islam and Weinstein is likely a Jew? (I assume he is given his name, but don‘t know).

The first part of the article was good, I didn‘t get the Islamic references, but Christians are always throwing out their own references. So why not?

And no, I‘m not enjoying this Harvey Weinstein business.

Guest 16.10.2017 15:17

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Please explain to me what is anti semetic about that article. The author is a muslim, uses islam to explain why sexual harassment is wrong. Is it because the author refers to Islam and Weinstein is likely a Jew? (I assume he is given his name, but dont know).

The first part of the article was good, I didnt get the Islamic references, but Christians are always throwing out their own references. So why not?

And no, Im not enjoying this Harvey Weinstein business.
Weinstein is a Jew, and the article mentions other faiths but not Judaism, whilst preaching the virtues of Islam in relation to "preventing more sexual abuse scandals". The unspoken subtext is that not being a Muslim (and being a Jew) somehow has a role to play.

Guest 16.10.2017 15:26

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2860916)
Weinstein is a Jew, and the article mentions other faiths but not Judaism, whilst preaching the virtues of Islam in relation to "preventing more sexual abuse scandals". The unspoken subtext is that not being a Muslim (and being a Jew) somehow has a role to play.

Interesting. I did not see any such subtext. But then, Im only half Jewish, so must not be keenly aware of such things.:rolleyes:

Chuff 16.10.2017 15:42

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Wow, what is it with the anti-semitism and nazism accusation fever today today? :confused:

Castro 16.10.2017 15:43

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Next President of The United States

st2lemans 16.10.2017 15:48

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...50&oe=5A6E7894

Tom

Guest 16.10.2017 15:56

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

But then, Im only half Jewish, so must not be keenly aware of such things.:rolleyes:
Must be through your father's side :p

Anyway, back on topic. He sound's like a right piece of work. What's funny though, is whilst the press and Hollywood are tearing themselves to ribbons over this, your man on the street just shrugs.

Castro 16.10.2017 16:11

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2860957)
Must be through your father's side :p

Anyway, back on topic. He sound's like a right piece of work. What's funny though, is whilst the press and Hollywood are tearing themselves to ribbons over this, your man on the street just shrugs.

Hollywood loves a comeback story, and recent Oscar nominee Mel Gibson is proof enough that they are happy to forgive and forget.

3Wishes 16.10.2017 16:13

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2860968)
Hollywood loves a comeback story, and recent Oscar nominee Mel Gibson is proof enough that they are happy to forgive and forget.

Especially if you stuff enough cash in their pockets while saying "golly I am sorry". ;)

Guest 16.10.2017 16:22

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2860968)
Hollywood loves a comeback story, and recent Oscar nominee Mel Gibson is proof enough that they are happy to forgive and forget.

Especially when you portray yourself as the victim. Gibson checked himself into rehab for Alcoholism. Weinstein is doing the same for "Sex Addiction".

Blueangel 16.10.2017 16:53

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz1983 (Post 2860957)
What's funny though, is whilst the press and Hollywood are tearing themselves to ribbons over this, your man on the street just shrugs.

There's nothing funny about this. I remember one of the victims claiming she'd been raped over 20yrs ago, but she's only named her attacker over the last few days.

Sex crimes aren't about sex or titilation. It's purely about power.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-41640079

st2lemans 16.10.2017 17:10

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Q: What's the difference between a porn-actress and a regular-actress?

A: The porn actress doesn't have to blow the producer to get the part! :eek:

Tom

bigblue2 16.10.2017 17:28

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
NEWSFLASH!!

Rich powerful person abuses their position !!

what is the world coming to? I'm shocked, it's not like its ever happened before, or a million time more in the future.

Guest 16.10.2017 18:21

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 2861030)
NEWSFLASH!!

Rich powerful person abuses their position !!

what is the world coming to? I'm shocked, it's not like its ever happened before, or a million time more in the future.

And that makes it acceptable, humorous, worth a laugh. Alrighty.

Guest 16.10.2017 19:58

Re: When You Wish Upon a Weinstein
 
If anybody in Hollywood really cared about the sexual exploitation of women by powerful men, then Bill Clinton would be person non grata, along with Roman Polanski and, no doubt, several other "celebrated" persons.

There seems to be an awful lot of cherrypicking involved when it comes to luvvies' outrage.

#notallsexualpredators :rolleyes:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:39.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0