Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 09.03.2021, 13:12
ennui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 1,163
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,247 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Meghan did it for free, to help Humanity (with a capital H).
I知 sure she didn稚. While I知 sympathetic to Meghan and Harry to some extent, I知 sure M&H did this for promotion and sticking it to the Royals.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #222  
Old 09.03.2021, 13:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 400 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 17,318 Times in 8,766 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
But whatever.
Yeah, I don't think it's worth debating here any more.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #223  
Old 09.03.2021, 13:18
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,886
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,477 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
I知 sure she didn稚. While I知 sympathetic to Meghan and Harry to some extent, I知 sure M&H did this for promotion and sticking it to the Royals.
I don't think Harry is up for a promotion unless there is some Game of Thrones level shenanigans on the go.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #224  
Old 09.03.2021, 14:24
starmir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kanton Zurich
Posts: 512
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 239 Posts
starmir has a reputation beyond reputestarmir has a reputation beyond reputestarmir has a reputation beyond reputestarmir has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Name:  s9i11rw7nwl61.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  57.2 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank starmir for this useful post:
  #225  
Old 09.03.2021, 14:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,477 Times in 524 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
I feel very sorry for someone who felt suicidal because she didn't like the free castle she lives in, poor thing
Post-natal depression doesn't give a rat's arse where you live. It bites just as hard whatever you earn.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #226  
Old 09.03.2021, 14:31
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,886
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,477 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Post-natal depression doesn't give a rat's arse where you live. It bites just as hard whatever you earn.
It really bites when you call your baby "my little prince" only for childs great grandparents to correct you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 09.03.2021, 14:34
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,489
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,243 Times in 3,303 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Post-natal depression doesn't give a rat's arse where you live. It bites just as hard whatever you earn.
It wasn't post-natal depression, not that that really matters.


I watched the interview, and Meghan said she went to the institution and was told they couldn't help. Later Harry said he didn't speak to his family about it, as it wasn't done and he was embarrassed. So reading between the lines, it sounds like they asked the palace staff for help, not the Royal Family itself.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 09.03.2021, 14:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,477 Times in 524 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
It wasn't post-natal depression, not that that really matters.


I watched the interview, and Meghan said she went to the institution and was told they couldn't help. Later Harry said he didn't speak to his family about it, as it wasn't done and he was embarrassed. So reading between the lines, it sounds like they asked the palace staff for help, not the Royal Family itself.
Not seen the interview but I'd bet a bag of skittles PND was at least contributing factor. Some folk aren't a fan of the term... they'd rather it was the baby blues and the mum pull those socks a little higher.

I read it as she asked within the family then asked the equivalent of the head of HR wnd was told no.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #229  
Old 09.03.2021, 15:15
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,489
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,243 Times in 3,303 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
but I'd bet a bag of skittles PND was at least contributing factor.
Maybe. But she said she was suicidal when pregnant - maybe after the birth too, but it all started during pregnancy.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 09.03.2021, 15:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,477 Times in 524 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Maybe. But she said she was suicidal when pregnant - maybe after the birth too, but it all started during pregnancy.
Antenatal /pre-natal depression is talked about even less than PND. It's often dismissed as "hormones" and the sufferer made to feel it's somehow their fault.

IMO being pregnant is crap enough without also being picked over in the world press, found constantly and excruciatingly lacking based entirely on colonial bias and People Being Generally Shite and also vilified in social media. I'd have been in the oven a la Plath.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #231  
Old 09.03.2021, 17:08
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,683
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 966 Times in 617 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Caroline Flack 'Be Kind'


Duchess of Cornwall, finally seems to be getting some sympatic media press coverage. There are many sides to relationship/s, friends, family et al. Camilla in the media news press over the years has had much bad said, snide, nasty, evil implications. In more recent times has improved to be more Neutral. So I think it was today uplifting to read briefly a sympatic news media press coverage, albeit brief and lost in midst of other news.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 09.03.2021, 22:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 400 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 17,318 Times in 8,766 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Antenatal /pre-natal depression is talked about even less than PND. It's often dismissed as "hormones" and the sufferer made to feel it's somehow their fault.

IMO being pregnant is crap enough without also being picked over in the world press, found constantly and excruciatingly lacking based entirely on colonial bias and People Being Generally Shite and also vilified in social media. I'd have been in the oven a la Plath.
But she's rich and apparently can't complain.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #233  
Old 09.03.2021, 22:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
But she's rich and apparently can't complain.
Not sure I agree here as there are many inconsistencies with their "authentic" living and concerns about the environment, and yet they chose to BUY/PURCHASE a home with 9 bedrooms/16 bathrooms? Forgot to mention the guest house and 5 acres of property

Purchase being the operative word here as the Royal Family inherits estates but Meghan and Harry chose to purchase this one. That to me is disingenuous at best. PS ..to purchase this asset given the pandemic and then claim that they were "cut off" from Prince Charles financially?

In short, in my view, they do not need this estate for their small family of four if they really cared about the environment.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #234  
Old 09.03.2021, 23:27
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 249
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 599 Times in 184 Posts
GParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Meghan thought she was going be a famous princess, get all the attention, all the glitter, glory, likes and shares, film premiere, Rolls Royce, castles, ponies and royal jelly hand squeezed directly from a bee's bum.
She got a damp cottage in Windsor, Andrew's old Range Rover and informed by the firm that she was just the wife of the 6th in line to the big chair and no, she couldn't borrow Kate's tiara. Faced with a life of cutting ribbons, Daily Mail hit pieces and not being allowed to out dress a 94 year old she bailed. They needed privacy so moved LA, bought 16 bathrooms, served unicorn flavoured lattes to the poor people and discreetly beamed their new manicured, polished perfect personas into 50 million living rooms praying that people will start to like them before they go bankrupt.
Reply With Quote
The following 17 users would like to thank GParker for this useful post:
  #235  
Old 10.03.2021, 09:24
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zrich
Posts: 8,659
Groaned at 383 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,457 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Meghan thought she was going be a famous princess, get all the attention, all the glitter, glory, likes and shares, film premiere, Rolls Royce, castles, ponies and royal jelly hand squeezed directly from a bee's bum.
She got a damp cottage in Windsor, Andrew's old Range Rover and informed by the firm that she was just the wife of the 6th in line to the big chair and no, she couldn't borrow Kate's tiara. Faced with a life of cutting ribbons, Daily Mail hit pieces and not being allowed to out dress a 94 year old she bailed. They needed privacy so moved LA, bought 16 bathrooms, served unicorn flavoured lattes to the poor people and discreetly beamed their new manicured, polished perfect personas into 50 million living rooms praying that people will start to like them before they go bankrupt.
That壮 about it.

Meg turned to her one talent - acting. Married to the most naive of all the naive royals she played her ace. Time will tell if it was a trump.

What is clear in the world that is 2021, all the royals do is sell newspaper and popularise TV show (an generate forum posts). They are all trapped in a plush gold-caged zoo and it壮 time to release them. When HRH pops hers, the rest should be let out to pasture. Make Buck House, Windsor etc museums for paying tourists...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #236  
Old 10.03.2021, 10:24
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,058
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,856 Times in 10,421 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Meg turned to her one talent - acting. Married to the most naive of all the naive royals she played her ace. Time will tell if it was a trump.

What is clear in the world that is 2021, all the royals do is sell newspaper and popularise TV show (an generate forum posts). They are all trapped in a plush gold-caged zoo and it壮 time to release them. When HRH pops hers, the rest should be let out to pasture. Make Buck House, Windsor etc museums for paying tourists...

You use the metaphor of a zoo and then state that the Royals should be released from their zoo.

You then wrote that tourists should instead pay to visit the Royal residences.

Who would want to visit an empty zoo with empty cages and no animals?

You haven't thought this through, have you?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #237  
Old 10.03.2021, 10:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 400 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 17,318 Times in 8,766 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
You use the metaphor of a zoo and then state that the Royals should be released from their zoo.

You then wrote that tourists should instead pay to visit the Royal residences.

Who would want to visit an empty zoo with empty cages and no animals?

You haven't thought this through, have you?
I thought it's just that dehumanising thing again. I'm surprised "pack of hyenas" haven't been yet used.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #238  
Old 10.03.2021, 10:52
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,489
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,243 Times in 3,303 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
What is clear in the world that is 2021, all the royals do is sell newspaper and popularise TV show (an generate forum posts). They are all trapped in a plush gold-caged zoo and it壮 time to release them. When HRH pops hers, the rest should be let out to pasture. Make Buck House, Windsor etc museums for paying tourists...
Thing is... they actually make money in normal times for the U.K. .... as opposed to the US president who costs America a fortune. It would be financially bad news for the U.K. to replace the monarchy with a president.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #239  
Old 10.03.2021, 15:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1,247
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,518 Times in 694 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan

Quote:
View Post
Thing is... they actually make money in normal times for the U.K. .... as opposed to the US president who costs America a fortune. It would be financially bad news for the U.K. to replace the monarchy with a president.
Apart from the income from tourism, all the (substantial) income from the Crown Estates go to the Government, and in return she receives the Privy Purse - an income far less than that from the estates.

One thing that is bugging me though, is that if Meghan were suicidal, isn't it more likely she'd turn to her husband, who by his own admission sought counseling, and who is patron of several mental health charities, for advice?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
  #240  
Old 10.03.2021, 15:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,512
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,650 Times in 18,688 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Prince] Harry and Meghan



Tom

Last edited by st2lemans; 10.03.2021 at 16:11.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Harry and the Queen drop the mic: The Invictus Challenge olygirl International affairs/politics 0 30.04.2016 09:32
On Prince Harry's Naked Antics - Disgraceful or Awesome? Guest International affairs/politics 82 30.08.2012 12:40
Nasty Prince Harry? hoppy International affairs/politics 34 07.09.2010 14:25
Racist prince harry uses the p-word martin34 International affairs/politics 62 17.01.2009 12:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0