Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.02.2018, 12:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 262
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
So you agree that being concerned with your own situation as a UK citizen in relation to Brexit is not, therefore, "arrogant" just because you live outside of the UK?
Being concerned with your own situation in relation to Brexit, even though you do not live in the UK, is not arrogant.

But I also think that saying that because you are a UK expat you are more impacted (not negatively or positively, simply impacted) by Brexit than the residents who live their is arrogant.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,882
Groaned at 80 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,541 Times in 3,532 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

And in this thread, seeing that you're Australian, you opinion is utterly irrelevant. You're just trolling people who don't usually debate these matters on the forum because they are more private in their opinions. If ypou want to debate other issues, then please do so in the appropriate thread.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:16
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,374
Groaned at 123 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 24,104 Times in 9,318 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
But I also think that saying that because you are a UK expat you are more impacted (not negatively or positively, simply impacted) by Brexit than the residents who live there is arrogant.
Even if it's true?

For you to say that UK expats AREN'T as affected as resident Brits is, by comparison, pretty arrogant, not to mention dumb.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:20
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Never said her vote or opinion was less valid than anyone living in the UK.

I said the people who live and work in the UK would be, at least, equally impacted by Brexit.

Now you're saying that UK expats might be more negatively impacted, which might well be the case, the same as Brits in the UK may be more positively impacted.
Sorry but that's complete nonsense.

It's like saying that people in England were impacted as much as people in Scotland by the devolution and possible independence decisions.

The direct impact on most people living in the UK is some different taxes on imported goods (since most won't care about exports), a change to the legal structure which hardly any understand correctly and has far less importance than they think, and possibly a bit more hassle going on holiday.

The direct impact on British people in Europe is potentially losing the right to work and live there (or at least making retaining that right significantly more difficult), more difficulty retaining financial and legal ties to the UK.

The indirect impact on exchange rates, flows of goods etc is minimal if you live, earn and consume in the UK; but if you're an expat with cross-border ties it's very different.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,595
Groaned at 649 Times in 477 Posts
Thanked 15,486 Times in 6,076 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Indeed - but we're also people who are impacted much more by Brexit than people in the UK, and in most cases have a more rounded and detailed view of it.
Lets be realistic, British expats in Switzerland are not going to be affected anywhere near as much as British residents. It doesn't even make any logical sense to think so.

Brexit will impact wages, cost of goods, jobs, living conditions etc etc and that is what British residents will experience. Us expats are living within a different economy and political system and are extremely cushioned from the impacts of Brexit by that.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:26
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,423
Groaned at 182 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,249 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Lets be realistic, British expats in Switzerland are not going to be affected anywhere near as much as British residents. It doesn't even make any logical sense to think so.
Well, yes our families are, so yes, not more, not less but equally effected by this whole thing idiotic affair. I still haven't heard a solid truthful reason, politically or legally as to why Britain would be better off outside of the EU. Not one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:31
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Lets be realistic, British expats in Switzerland are not going to be affected anywhere near as much as British residents. It doesn't even make any logical sense to think so.

Brexit will impact wages, cost of goods, jobs, living conditions etc etc and that is what British residents will experience. Us expats are living within a different economy and political system and are extremely cushioned from the impacts of Brexit by that.
Maybe, but those impacts are pretty remote, and the financial/trade differences are those most likely to be resolved (or fudged) in some way.

Expats are much more likely to be impacted by the right to work or live in an EU country, which given our location is a significant thing.

For example, say one of my kids wants to go and work in France for six months - currently they can do that as a UK citizen, and they could do that as a Swiss citizen - but post-Brexit it's quite possible they can't so easily.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,595
Groaned at 649 Times in 477 Posts
Thanked 15,486 Times in 6,076 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Maybe, but those impacts are pretty remote, and the financial/trade differences are those most likely to be resolved (or fudged) in some way.

Expats are much more likely to be impacted by the right to work or live in an EU country, which given our location is a significant thing.

For example, say one of my kids wants to go and work in France for six months - currently they can do that as a UK citizen, and they could do that as a Swiss citizen - but post-Brexit it's quite possible they can't so easily.
The impacts of Brexit will be a lot more severe to the average British resident with a low salary than to your pampered children looking to get work experience in France.

If costs of goods rise, then salaries are not going to magically go up to compensate. Companies moving outside of London will potentially affect a lot of jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:38
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
The impacts of Brexit will be a lot more severe to the average British resident with a low salary than to your pampered children looking to get work experience in France.

If costs of goods rise, then salaries are not going to magically go up to compensate. Companies moving outside of London will potentially affect a lot of jobs.
Ignoring the unecessary personal jibe - they voted for it:

https://twitter.com/GuardianData/sta...383872/photo/1
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:40
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,374
Groaned at 123 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 24,104 Times in 9,318 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
The impacts of Brexit will be a lot more severe to the average British resident with a low salary than to your pampered children looking to get work experience in France.

If costs of goods rise, then salaries are not going to magically go up to compensate. Companies moving outside of London will potentially affect a lot of jobs.


It also concerns Brits with interests (financial, property, ageing relatives, etc.) still in the UK.

I imagine this is the reason which has prompted these information roadshows. You know, people who are able to look beyond "pampered" expat kids. Why are kids wanting to expand their world view "pampered" anyway? Not all of them want to grow up to be bitter and insular tabloid-guzzling scaredy cats.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:48
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 10,873
Groaned at 166 Times in 144 Posts
Thanked 15,422 Times in 6,236 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
It also concerns Brits with interests (financial, property, ageing relatives, etc.) still in the UK.

I imagine this is the reason which has prompted these information roadshows. You know, people who are able to look beyond "pampered" expat kids. Why are kids wanting to expand their world view "pampered" anyway? Not all of them want to grow up to be bitter and insular tabloid-guzzling scaredy cats.
Maybe he thinks that all expat kids go to the expensive international schools.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 22.02.2018, 13:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,595
Groaned at 649 Times in 477 Posts
Thanked 15,486 Times in 6,076 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
It also concerns Brits with interests (financial, property, ageing relatives, etc.) still in the UK.

I imagine this is the reason which has prompted these information roadshows. You know, people who are able to look beyond "pampered" expat kids. Why are kids wanting to expand their world view "pampered" anyway? Not all of them want to grow up to be bitter and insular tabloid-guzzling scaredy cats.
Of course it concerns Brits with interests in the UK, self-explanatory, but newtoswitz clearly said that expats are more affected than residents, which is a highly unrealistic.

And yes, even without knowing them I would without any insult intended consider newtoswitz's kids living in Switzerland with access to the best schooling, infrastructure and transport in the Western hemisphere as "pampered" vs children in the average British family. But then this should be pretty self-explanatory, right?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe he thinks that all expat kids go to the expensive international schools.
The standard of the average Swiss state school is very high. Can you same the same for Britain?

Last edited by Chuff; 22.02.2018 at 14:03.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 22.02.2018, 14:14
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
It also concerns Brits with interests (financial, property, ageing relatives, etc.) still in the UK.
Actually, I'm interested in knowing whether I can withdraw in-cash the Swiss vested pension assets built-up under my Swiss nationality over the past 30+ years if I 'officially' leave CH permanently to a non-EU country i.e. UK on my UK passport after Brexit.

Not expecting any answers, but still curious...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 22.02.2018, 14:31
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I'm interested in knowing whether I can withdraw in-cash the Swiss vested pension assets built-up under my Swiss nationality over the past 30+ years if I 'officially' leave CH permanently to a non-EU country i.e. UK on my UK passport after Brexit.

Not expecting any answers, but still curious...
It will depend on what rules are agreed - it isn't only EU, there are bilateral pension rules with a number of countries for this.

At the current rate of negotiation it looks like inheritance rules are going to be of more interest than pension rules
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 22.02.2018, 14:39
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
It will depend on what rules are agreed - it isn't only EU, there are bilateral pension rules with a number of countries for this.

At the current rate of negotiation it looks like inheritance rules are going to be of more interest than pension rules
Yes, many topics to agree on

Can't imagine that this roadshow will reap much benefit, but remain open minded
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 22.02.2018, 14:48
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Yes, many topics to agree on

Can't imagine that this roadshow will reap much benefit, but remain open minded
Bear in mind current negotiation is with the EU - I guess Switzerland will come afterwards once they work out what needs to be untangled.

I further suspect that Switzerland will be more interested in picking up the bilateral EU negotiations that have stalled than dealing with Britain, so it could be a long wait.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 22.02.2018, 15:12
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Bear in mind current negotiation is with the EU - I guess Switzerland will come afterwards once they work out what needs to be untangled.

I further suspect that Switzerland will be more interested in picking up the bilateral EU negotiations that have stalled than dealing with Britain, so it could be a long wait.
Yes, existing EEA agreements will be interesting
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 22.02.2018, 15:49
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,813
Groaned at 48 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,089 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
I had posted this on the Brexit thread so hopefully some people saw it in time to be able to register for Bern or Geneva.

My husband is going to Bern this evening.
Thanks, I didn't see it because I gave up on that thread at around page 300 because of the constant bickering and sniping and people arguing the same point over and over again when they know that the other person is not going to change their minds and are just trying to get a rise......
I thought it would be nice to have a purely informative thread with no childish squabbles......
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 22.02.2018, 15:53
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, I didn't see it because I gave up on that thread at around page 300 because of the constant bickering and sniping and people arguing the same point over and over again when they know that the other person is not going to change their minds and are just trying to get a rise......
I thought it would be nice to have a purely informative thread with no childish squabbles......
Me too.

Ignored that thread, which is why I chose this one to find info. on my question
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 22.02.2018, 15:55
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,813
Groaned at 48 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,089 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brexit (and other UK stuff) information roadshow in Swizterland

Quote:
View Post
Me too.

Ignored that thread, which is why I chose this one to find info. on my question
I wasn't (not) talking about you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
brexit, information, uk.gov




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brexit and lessons learnt from other countries Odile International affairs/politics 9 05.07.2016 10:56
Need information about stuff dumping place and day. Shweta Saxena Daily life 2 01.11.2013 12:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0