Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.04.2018, 07:50
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 6,275
Groaned at 935 Times in 513 Posts
Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,571 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
And they just stood and looked!!!

This is the state of the world today! But they got pics on their handy-thats important.

https://www.bluewin.ch/de/sport/weit...men-88825.html

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/04/...y-take-photos/

Last edited by omtatsat; 16.04.2018 at 08:01.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.04.2018, 07:58
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,103
Groaned at 548 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 8,784 Times in 3,504 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
This is the state of the world today! But they got pics on their handy-thats important.

https://www.bluewin.ch/de/sport/weit...men-88825.html

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/04/...y-take-photos/
Well, to be fair he is a Scot.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
This user groans at Loz1983 for this post:
  #3  
Old 16.04.2018, 10:38
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,254
Groaned at 372 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,954 Times in 6,983 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
This is the state of the world today! But they got pics on their handy-thats important.

https://www.bluewin.ch/de/sport/weit...men-88825.html

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/04/...y-take-photos/
I'm not sure I would have immediately helped either as I'm not sure whether a runner gets disqualified if they have outside intervention.
Does anyone know?

I wouldn't have taken photos though and would have stepped in if a verbal response was incoherent.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.04.2018, 11:13
Ato Ato is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 175
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 221 Times in 102 Posts
Ato is considered knowledgeableAto is considered knowledgeableAto is considered knowledgeable
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

They were probably concerned that they'd be labelled a dancing priest.

But in honesty, you'd expect a medic to be along quickly, and I don't think Australia has the "Duty to Rescue" laws, therefore leaving it up to the professionals. I think the 15 minute wait for the medic in a world class event is worse than the public not jumping in and possibly making things worse.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.04.2018, 13:25
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,746
Groaned at 74 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,611 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
They were probably concerned that they'd be labelled a dancing priest.

But in honesty, you'd expect a medic to be along quickly, and I don't think Australia has the "Duty to Rescue" laws, therefore leaving it up to the professionals. I think the 15 minute wait for the medic in a world class event is worse than the public not jumping in and possibly making things worse.
I was watching the race live. It wasnt 15 minutes. It was 3-4 minutes max that it took the medics to arrive and they came running!

As the organisers said, its impossible to have medics at every meter of the course. They had them spaced 500m apart.

Plus the guy collapsed first, got back up,and run a bit more and then collapsed again.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.04.2018, 17:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Nyon
Posts: 996
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,104 Times in 533 Posts
Rachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure I would have immediately helped either as I'm not sure whether a runner gets disqualified if they have outside intervention.
Does anyone know?

I wouldn't have taken photos though and would have stepped in if a verbal response was incoherent.
What, like if you didn't understand his reply after you ask him "sorry, can you look more in pain and do you mind looking into the lens please"


or perhaps if you failed to understand a Scottish accent!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.04.2018, 18:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,970
Groaned at 232 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 8,939 Times in 4,798 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
This is the state of the world today! But they got pics on their handy-thats important.

https://www.bluewin.ch/de/sport/weit...men-88825.html

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/04/...y-take-photos/
Just the much needed amount of outrage we all have been missing lately....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 16.04.2018, 18:19
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,254
Groaned at 372 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,954 Times in 6,983 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
What, like if you didn't understand his reply after you ask him "sorry, can you look more in pain and do you mind looking into the lens please"
First rule of first aid - speak to the 'casualty' before you start poking and prodding them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 16.04.2018, 18:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,214
Groaned at 203 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,039 Times in 4,425 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

it reminds me a bit of this
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.04.2018, 20:17
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 934
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 2,241 Times in 620 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And they just stood and looked!!!

Quote:
View Post
I was watching the race live. It wasnt 15 minutes. It was 3-4 minutes max that it took the medics to arrive and they came running!

As the organisers said, its impossible to have medics at every meter of the course. They had them spaced 500m apart.

Plus the guy collapsed first, got back up,and run a bit more and then collapsed again.
How dare you let those pesky facts get in the way of internet outrage?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Migrant workers: who they are, what they work, and what they did before FuriousRose Daily life 19 04.11.2017 06:50
Putin or Krembots, do they exist and have they infiltrated EF? TobiasM International affairs/politics 50 15.01.2017 20:42
RAV payouts - how they are determined and when they kick in Konuku Employment 20 15.02.2015 11:35
do they trust strangers or they just don't care? ALS Daily life 4 26.10.2012 22:09
What is Spesenpauschale, and can they just put it on the bill? Sorensen Daily life 10 18.12.2007 15:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0