Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
An other storm in a teacup. If you get all the vaccinations you want, why the need of calling all the others names? You're safe, aren't you or don't you truts the vaccine? Everytime they eradicated an illness people went and died of something else. Might as well live in peace together until the day.
Yes, and no. The bit I have a beef with is where you have a newborn who isn't old enough for all the vaccinations yet and there's some anti-vaxxer's offspring barreling round with a dose of something nasty which could easily and harmlessly be prevented.

Or you live with someone who is immuno-suppressed through illness or medical treatment and the same virus-laden child is spreading germs that he/she could have been vaccinated against.

I'm fully aware you can't vaccinate against everything but for communicable diseases for which there IS a vaccination, I'm not really convinced on the array of charlatan-fueled excuses.

Anti-vaxxers' kids are so wonderfully healthy because parents with vaccinated kids are keeping them that way.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:09
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,678
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,509 Times in 7,495 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
And everybody knows motorcycles are dangerous death machines ridden by people who suffer vaccine provoked mental issues. Oh won't somebody think of the children!
Oh, that one is used by both sides
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:16
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,525
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,143 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:

I'm fully aware you can't vaccinate against everything but for communicable diseases for which there IS a vaccination, I'm not really convinced on the array of charlatan-fueled excuses.
I think this is the big one, I mean I was immunised against the standard bits and pieces, the ones that are communicable and lead to the greatest risks. Thats for when you're a child and don't realise that flicking mucus and drooling around in a group might be a bad idea.
I know one of my siblings had the whooping cough one seeing as they were in a greater risk group.

If I was going travelling to somewhere where things are more common I'd pop by the doctor and see what the story is. The old saying rings true here, prevention is better than the cure.
Does everyone here have their tick shots up to date?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Reinach (BL)
Posts: 292
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 284 Times in 153 Posts
dajegas has earned the respect of manydajegas has earned the respect of manydajegas has earned the respect of many
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
my doctor was all surprised that I never once hat a hepatitis B shot. So here I am, the twat, dear PaddyG, would you believe, I'm still alive and healthy. What a miracle.
You call it miracle, I'd rather call it statistics. The fact that someone is not vaccinated against a disease does not mean he/she is going to catch the disease, it simply means he/she is more vulnerable to it, but some conditions still have to be met in order for him/her to fall sick. You did not met said conditions (luckily), hence you being still alive and healthy.

But now think about this: maybe the fact that the majority of people is vaccinated against hepatitis B did contribute to the fact that you did not catch it, or at least reduced the % of contacts with infected people you had during your life, i.e. helped you staying healthy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dajegas for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:32
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,784
Groaned at 523 Times in 415 Posts
Thanked 23,281 Times in 9,409 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post

If I was going travelling to somewhere where things are more common I'd pop by the doctor and see what the story is. The old saying rings true here, prevention is better than the cure.
Does everyone here have their tick shots up to date?
I think you'll find that tick-borne diseases are not passed human-to-human.

It's not the same kind of argument at all.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:34
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,678
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,509 Times in 7,495 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
...... I'm not really convinced on the array of charlatan-fueled excuses.
This is exactly the main problem. And I do wonder why the anti-group needs such weird arguments. Can't they just make up their own minds without inventing stuff? One wonders what they really are afraid of.

For me it was normal to go to University Zurich when I planned to go places off the "tourist path" - which was usually the case. I told them where I'm going, they told me what vaccinations I need and maybe one or two they suggest for ..... reason.
They never said "we give you all we've got, you never know".

Now you can get it all done at the GP.

Quote:
View Post
I think this is the big one, I mean I was immunised against the standard bits and pieces, the ones that are communicable and lead to the greatest risks. Thats for when you're a child and don't realise that flicking mucus and drooling around in a group might be a bad idea.
I know one of my siblings had the whooping cough one seeing as they were in a greater risk group.

If I was going travelling to somewhere where things are more common I'd pop by the doctor and see what the story is. The old saying rings true here, prevention is better than the cure.
Does everyone here have their tick shots up to date?
This.
And yes, I got the tick shot (which covers only part of the possible problems, you know?) but only for a couple of years and only because I live in a particularly high risk area.
__________________
It Ainít What You Donít Know That Gets You Into Trouble. Itís What You Know for Sure That Just Ainít So
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,699
Groaned at 292 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 24,930 Times in 10,535 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
With the Flat Earthers, it's the other way round.

Best wind up on the internet!
Or rather, with the Flat Earthers, both sides of the debate think they are trolling the other side. Which is what makes it so hilarious.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:46
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,699
Groaned at 292 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 24,930 Times in 10,535 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
You forgot motorcycles.

Several of mine have magnesium wheels and other bits.

Tom
Mineral water contains magnesium, which is why it males such good molotov coctails.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:46
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,678
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,509 Times in 7,495 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
You call it miracle, I'd rather call it statistics. The fact that someone is not vaccinated against a disease does not mean he/she is going to catch the disease, it simply means he/she is more vulnerable to it, but some conditions still have to be met in order for him/her to fall sick. You did not met said conditions (luckily), hence you being still alive and healthy.

But now think about this: maybe the fact that the majority of people is vaccinated against hepatitis B did contribute to the fact that you did not catch it, or at least reduced the % of contacts with infected people you had during your life, i.e. helped you staying healthy.
I was being sarcastic. Although it does almost seem like a miracle - the chances to get Hepatitis B was a lot bigger in my life than many of the illnesses I'm actually vaccinated for (against).

Anyway, I got it now. While he was at it (boosting the others) I thought what the heck, let's force them to redo the statistics.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 21.08.2018, 15:53
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,525
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,143 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
I think you'll find that tick-borne diseases are not passed human-to-human.

It's not the same kind of argument at all.
I think you'll find they are still vaccines. I know not for everything that the little bloodsuckers carry but still better than nothing.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here,
- Vaccines are only required for human to human transmitted diseases?
- Anti vaxers only have issue with human to human transmitted diseases?

My argument was that vaccines are useful when there is a higher transmission risk. Maybe I could have written it clearer.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Ato for this post:
  #51  
Old 21.08.2018, 16:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
vaccine available for (against? LOL, someone help me here)
Either is OK. "Vaccinate against" is more common and would be my choice.

As for your slight anti-vaxxer leanings, please take in the "herd immunity" argument. "Measles never did me any harm" isn't exactly a convincing argument, either.

If you want a convincing reason to vaccinate, I direct you toward polio and smallpox.
Attached Thumbnails
thanks-anti-vaxxers-you-twats-vaccinate.png  
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 21.08.2018, 16:07
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,678
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,509 Times in 7,495 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
Either is OK. "Vaccinate against" is more common and would be my choice.

As for your slight anti-vaxxer leanings, please take in the "herd immunity" argument. "Measles never did me any harm" isn't exactly a convincing argument, either.

If you want a convincing reason to vaccinate, I direct you toward polio and smallpox.
LOL, thanks. Now to follow my mo I should chose the red group
The blue makes more sense.

As to the mentioned argument, where did you see me writing that?
They did! And don't get me started on the time I went through the chickenpox .
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 21.08.2018, 16:10
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,784
Groaned at 523 Times in 415 Posts
Thanked 23,281 Times in 9,409 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
I think you'll find they are still vaccines. I know not for everything that the little bloodsuckers carry but still better than nothing.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here,
- Vaccines are only required for human to human transmitted diseases?
- Anti vaxers only have issue with human to human transmitted diseases?
If you do not vaccinate against measles, you have a chance of infecting others if you catch it yourselves. These other people, in turn, infect more people.
That's how pandemics start.


If you do not vaccinate against tick-borne encephalitis and you catch it, you cannot pass it on to anyone else.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get the vaccine for encephalitis but there's no altruism involved at all as their is with a measles vaccine.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 21.08.2018, 16:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
LOL, thanks. Now to follow my mo I should chose the red group
The blue makes more sense.

As to the mentioned argument, where did you see me writing that?
They did! And don't get me started on the time I went through the chickenpox .
I wasn't quoting you directly, just making a point. But substitute chicken pox for measles, and then remember how unpleasant and entirely avoidable it was, and you should start to see the answer...

"Vaccinate for" is essentially US English, so choose your side and prepare to wage war!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 21.08.2018, 16:19
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,525
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,143 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
If you do not vaccinate against measles, you have a chance of infecting others if you catch it yourselves. These other people, in turn, infect more people.
That's how pandemics start.


If you do not vaccinate against tick-borne encephalitis and you catch it, you cannot pass it on to anyone else.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get the vaccine for encephalitis but there's no altruism involved at all as their is with a measles vaccine.
Selfishness is where I approach vaccines from. I don't want to get sick so I get vaccinated. That it might benefit others is a positive side effect.
In the future I'll tell people I'm altruistic though, sounds better!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 21.08.2018, 16:37
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ZŁrich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,209
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,371 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
An other storm in a teacup. If you get all the vaccinations you want, why the need of calling all the others names? You're safe, aren't you or don't you truts the vaccine? Everytime they eradicated an illness people went and died of something else. Might as well live in peace together until the day. .
This is the kind of selfishness that gets on my nerves.

Some of us cannot be vaccinated. Some of us depend on herd immunity to avoid horrible repercussions that come with awful diseases which have not been eradicated yet.

I trust the vaccines to work (within their limitations), BUT NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE THEM.

It's not about you. It's about protecting your fellow human being.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 21.08.2018, 17:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Reinach (BL)
Posts: 292
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 284 Times in 153 Posts
dajegas has earned the respect of manydajegas has earned the respect of manydajegas has earned the respect of many
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

By the way, very few (if any) diseases have been eradicated.
We just made ourselves immune to them. Remove the vaccine, remove the immunity, disease comes back.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 21.08.2018, 17:03
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,089
Groaned at 485 Times in 404 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

so who's gonna pay me to be vaccinated then?? save yourself, get me vaccinated! obviously the weirder the disease the more it'll cost, maybe you can crowdfund it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
This user groans at bigblue2 for this post:
  #59  
Old 21.08.2018, 17:15
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
By the way, very few (if any) diseases have been eradicated.
We just made ourselves immune to them. Remove the vaccine, remove the immunity, disease comes back.
Smallpox, which is why we no longer need to vaccinate against it.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 21.08.2018, 17:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thanks anti-vaxxers, you twats

Quote:
View Post
Smallpox, which is why we no longer need to vaccinate against it.
Rinderpest is the other disease to have been eradicated through vaccination -- although, as the name suggests, it occurred in cattle and other ungulates.

When there are no more carriers for the viruses that cause these diseases, the viruses don't just lie dormant, waiting for a chance to pounce -- they disappear. Gone. Never to be seen again.

It is absolutely worth vaccinating against these preventable diseases.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anti female or anti English Toontoon Daily life 129 23.02.2015 10:36
What Anti-Acid Medicine Can You Get Over The Counter Here? Swisstobe Family matters/health 3 20.12.2010 21:52
Thanks for Being You Peg A Daily life 13 15.04.2010 19:20
Managed anti-spam and anti-virus service for individual domain-owners spamchek Commercial 0 13.05.2005 11:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0