Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 13.10.2018, 17:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,399
Groaned at 315 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 13,444 Times in 6,981 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drowning in Plastic

Quote:
View Post
Edit: I agree, however, tht veganfunlover takes it too far by trying to inject veganism as a topic with near every post on every thread
That. The fact that he or she appears to see veganism as a cure-all-ills-of-the-modern-world path. In reality, although I agree we don't need that much meat anymore, eating meat is so deeply rooted in our cultures and habits that we can't possibly become vegans over night, at least not all of us. However, I have nothing against people who decided to embrace this diet or better said - life style. It is a bit extreme in my view, but each to their own. I can imagine myself not eating meat, but not even a nice omelette or a slice of cheese?
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 13.10.2018, 18:08
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 141 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 4,465 Times in 1,778 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drowning in Plastic

Quote:
View Post
...eating meat is so deeply rooted in our cultures and habits that we can't possibly become vegans over night, at least not all of us. However, I have nothing against people who decided to embrace this diet or better said - life style. It is a bit extreme in my view, but each to their own. I can imagine myself not eating meat, but not even a nice omelette or a slice of cheese?
The other side of 'extreme' IMO is eating animals that have been raised in factory farms, subjected to cruel torture, injected with growth hormones and antibiotics, etc. - which have an enormous impact on the health of our bodies, ecosystem, planet, etc. There are 9 billion animals that will be subject to such treatment, slaughtered, and eaten this year - in the US alone. The combined weight of all of the animals being raised for food on the planet right now is estimated to be more than 50x that of the combined weight of all of the wild animals that remain.

https://mic.com/articles/84681/this-...als#.0PfMTwn3f

So although on one hand it may be extreme to be a 'vegan', from another perspective it is much more extreme to be a mainstream modern meat eater.

Back on topic, the phasing out of plastic straws in the EU just seems like a feel-good measure. Sure it's great not to have those straws in the landfills/ocean, etc. - but what about all the rest of the disposable product based economy? It is legal for HP, for example, to sell me a printer which has been programmed to quit working after a certain number of prints, and therefore become a huge chunk of plastic trash (which will break down into thousands/million of little plastic bits eventually), but I can't get a straw with my drink?
__________________
you are being programmed
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 14.10.2018, 09:25
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,398
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,152 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drowning in Plastic

Quote:
View Post
I don't know but there are people that believe that you should not eat omnivore and carnivore animals, so that would be at risk

Then I should stop eating Tuna?
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 14.10.2018, 09:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,399
Groaned at 315 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 13,444 Times in 6,981 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drowning in Plastic

Quote:
View Post
The other side of 'extreme' IMO is eating animals that have been raised in factory farms, subjected to cruel torture, injected with growth hormones and antibiotics, etc. - which have an enormous impact on the health of our bodies, ecosystem, planet, etc. There are 9 billion animals that will be subject to such treatment, slaughtered, and eaten this year - in the US alone. The combined weight of all of the animals being raised for food on the planet right now is estimated to be more than 50x that of the combined weight of all of the wild animals that remain.

https://mic.com/articles/84681/this-...als#.0PfMTwn3f

So although on one hand it may be extreme to be a 'vegan', from another perspective it is much more extreme to be a mainstream modern meat eater.

You're giving USA as an example for animal growing and meat eating habits...yeah, it's extreme there. I couldn't believe my eyes what a steak means in an American steakhouse. For me it could have been eaten by at least 2 hungry people, but hey ho, everything is bigger there. Anyways, as usual generalisations are being made and we tend to overlook the fact that many Americans are as concerned with where their food is coming from as we all are, and some of them choose the organic, grass fed etc meat and buy from local farms etc. And this trend is growing.

The problem is real though - the meat is artificially made too easily available, too cheap considering, and not only there....But we're not in any danger here in CH hehe, are we.

Quote:
View Post

Back on topic, the phasing out of plastic straws in the EU just seems like a feel-good measure. Sure it's great not to have those straws in the landfills/ocean, etc. - but what about all the rest of the disposable product based economy? It is legal for HP, for example, to sell me a printer which has been programmed to quit working after a certain number of prints, and therefore become a huge chunk of plastic trash (which will break down into thousands/million of little plastic bits eventually), but I can't get a straw with my drink?
Of course. It is obvious that the biggest pollutants are coming from companies not from the general population. But it's important to start doing our part and pushing for changes in legislation...so we have to start from somewhere.
As your quote says

- first they ignore me
- then they laugh at me
- then they fight against me
.....and then I win. ;-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 23.11.2018, 11:35
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,830
Groaned at 271 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 16,946 Times in 7,170 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drowning in Plastic

Quote:
View Post
it is a disaster already, Loz1983. the sea is rising from global warming, more people live in deltas and by the sea in ever increasing populations! a major storm and flood will one day wipe out many. can you not see that?
exactly, we're already past the tipping point, so no point in trying any more. just eat all the meat we can before the earth becomes a dust ball!
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 03.04.2020, 17:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
imps has no particular reputation at present
Re: Drowning in Plastic

Quote:
View Post
The solution to ocean plastics is the same as the solution for global warming, deforrestation and the depletion of natural resources. And that's to exterminate three-quarters of the worlds population.
I like this quote in the light of recent events. We're experiencing a test run here
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
man jumps off 27-meter high waterfall to rescue a drowning man doropfiz Daily life 17 27.07.2018 12:59
Passive lover cleared over Geneva drowning The Local Swiss news via The Local 19 11.10.2011 12:29
NOTE: When drowning doesn't look like drowning Etienne Botes Daily life 20 25.05.2011 10:41
What was THIS girl thinking? [drowning puppies in a river, video] Phil_MCR General off-topic 28 05.09.2010 18:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0