Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 24.02.2019, 15:51
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,603
Groaned at 58 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 1,281 Times in 644 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klima Streik/climate strike

Quote:
View Post
I think air travel can be stopped
I agree to some extent. If I would get 20 weeks holiday a year instead of 5 I would love to go on holiday by boat. Is on my bucket list, to visit all Canary Islands by boat from Spain. Or take three weeks to visit my parents by bicycle instead of over the weekend by air.

The whole fabric of society would need to change, impact of 20 weeks holidays on the economy would be huge.

Or would you rather deny the everyday working man his freedom of movement (except to and from work), and make travel only for the rich ? How do you think this would work out ?
__________________
Happiness is a full tank of gas (or better yet, diesel !)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 24.02.2019, 17:18
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,480
Groaned at 139 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,593 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klima Streik/climate strike

Quote:
View Post
I stopped following this 'undenial' piece the moment he got the unit of energy confusing with the unit of power. I also don't agree money being a claim on energy, in my view money is an exchange for time. And he completely loses it when he talks about humans evolving because they have no morality or denial of reality.


Typical 'the world is ending' drivel.
Could you please point out where the author of the essay was mistaken re: power/energy, as you have claimed? I re-read the essay but could not find that bit.

Money as an exchange for time? Nobodys paying for your time, they're paying for the energy surplus that you create in that time. If you don't produce, you get canned- even if you give your time 24/7.

The author never mentioned a lack of human morality. Where did you get that from? And denial- are you denying it,lol? You'd make a good case study.
__________________
you are being programmed
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 24.02.2019, 17:41
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,273
Groaned at 1,628 Times in 1,250 Posts
Thanked 30,448 Times in 14,531 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klima Streik/climate strike

Quote:
View Post
would you rather deny the everyday working man his freedom of movement (except to and from work), and make travel only for the rich ? How do you think this would work out ?
I rarely travel by air, wouldn't bother me at all if I never did again.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 25.02.2019, 08:34
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,603
Groaned at 58 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 1,281 Times in 644 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klima Streik/climate strike

Quote:
View Post
Could you please point out where the author of the essay was mistaken re: power/energy, as you have claimed? I re-read the essay but could not find that bit.

Money as an exchange for time? Nobodys paying for your time, they're paying for the energy surplus that you create in that time. If you don't produce, you get canned- even if you give your time 24/7.

The author never mentioned a lack of human morality. Where did you get that from? And denial- are you denying it,lol? You'd make a good case study.

Power/energy error: about halfway where he claims " More specifically, $1 US adjusted for inflation to 1990 equals about 10 mW of energy. ".
Energy is Joules, Watts is Joules per second. Plus he is probably a factor 10^9 wrong here as at the moment a litre of gas (11kWh or 40 GigaJoules) costs chf 1.55 .


About paying for time: if I finished my assigned work and I go home early my boss will cut my pay (as he is paying for time). Instead he will give me more work (so he will try to get more 'energy' for the same amount of money). Therefore money does not equal energy but time.


The last point, a typo on my part, must be reality. As in "Then one day, through random chance, a member of one tribe in east Africa was born with a mutation for an extended theory of mind plus denial of reality. "
__________________
Happiness is a full tank of gas (or better yet, diesel !)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BasP72 for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 25.02.2019, 15:02
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,705
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 7,897 Times in 2,951 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klima Streik/climate strike

Quote:
View Post
Power/energy error: about halfway where he claims " More specifically, $1 US adjusted for inflation to 1990 equals about 10 mW of energy. ".
Energy is Joules, Watts is Joules per second. Plus he is probably a factor 10^9 wrong here as at the moment a litre of gas (11kWh or 40 GigaJoules) costs chf 1.55 .


About paying for time: if I finished my assigned work and I go home early my boss will cut my pay (as he is paying for time). Instead he will give me more work (so he will try to get more 'energy' for the same amount of money). Therefore money does not equal energy but time.


The last point, a typo on my part, must be reality. As in "Then one day, through random chance, a member of one tribe in east Africa was born with a mutation for an extended theory of mind plus denial of reality. "
I don´t think it is that easy to explain, we don´t deny reality, we just make our own. My reality on Planet Slammer is different than yours and it is waaaay different than yours. But if you are alpha enough you gather other people around and get them to see your reality and if your reality is based on intolerance and you are bloodthirsty enough you fight other people with their "alien" reality.
There you go...: Humanity in a nutshell, no different than the monkeys in one tree fighting the monkeys in another tree, civilization is just cosmetic.
__________________
Lummerland
Eine Insel mit zwei Bergen,
und im tiefen weiten Meer,
mit viel Tunnels und Geleisen
und dem Eisenbahnverkehr
nun wie mag die Insel heißen
ringsherum ist schöner Strand
jeder sollte einmal reisen
in das schöne Lummerland
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02.03.2019, 12:03
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,480
Groaned at 139 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,593 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klima Streik/climate strike

Quote:
View Post
Power/energy error: about halfway where he claims " More specifically, $1 US adjusted for inflation to 1990 equals about 10 mW of energy. ".
Energy is Joules, Watts is Joules per second. Plus he is probably a factor 10^9 wrong here as at the moment a litre of gas (11kWh or 40 GigaJoules) costs chf 1.55 .


About paying for time: if I finished my assigned work and I go home early my boss will cut my pay (as he is paying for time). Instead he will give me more work (so he will try to get more 'energy' for the same amount of money). Therefore money does not equal energy but time.


The last point, a typo on my part, must be reality. As in "Then one day, through random chance, a member of one tribe in east Africa was born with a mutation for an extended theory of mind plus denial of reality. "
Thanks for your response.

As explained in the link, the author was not equating the value of a $USD to 10mW, but to the cost of maintaining that value - a constant energy drain of 10mW. There was no error, nor are the numbers off when compared to the data.

You state yourself that your employer "will try to get more energy for the same amount of money". People don't pay for time, they pay for the energy surplus. Time is just a convenient way of doing the accounting, for some. Contractors, piece-work factory workers, etc. would love to just sit around listening to the radio and getting paid for their time, but that's not what anybody pays for.

Re: the last point - As Homo sapiens, our ancestors came from east Africa. Through mutation and evolution, somehow they developed both an extended theory of mind and cognitive dissonance. They went on to cover the planet like an infectious growth, stumbled upon fossil fuels, and here we are today. Which part don't you agree with?
__________________
you are being programmed
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Switzerland, climate change is highly visible McTAVGE Swiss politics/news 112 09.05.2019 14:34
Anyone else have Stiebel Eltron climate control? dmay Complaints corner 1 21.02.2014 17:25
What Comes after Strike 1 and 2! Strike 3 mamasita Forum support 35 03.10.2011 14:31
Climate activists condemn Copenhagen police tactics annas International affairs/politics 104 20.12.2009 16:12
Green Language. Red Motives. Climate Deals Zurcher International affairs/politics 4 10.11.2009 18:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0