Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.07.2019, 22:48
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Iranian tanker pirated?

Wait, what. Did I just read that an Iranian Tanker was boarded and seized by the Royal Navy just off Gib on Thursday and I find that out just now?

OOOoooo! Got to get the popcorn ready for when the Iranians retaliate.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2019, 23:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,698
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,290 Times in 7,840 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

They will just confiscate a UK registered tanker; assuming they exist and are not owned by companies based in Caribbean islands and registered in remote territories.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.07.2019, 23:36
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
They will just confiscate a UK registered tanker; assuming they exist and are not owned by companies based in Caribbean islands and registered in remote territories.
Actually in the Teheran times there is talk about making the straits of Hormuz to a toll-shipping lane.
That would piss the yankees off big time and at the same time be a reasonable response.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.07.2019, 11:57
sailorimc's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location
Posts: 141
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
sailorimc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

For me it is really strange that the Iranian tanker was seized in Gibraltar. As far as i know the tanker was on route to Syria. Now, my question is: why on Earth a tanker from Iran would be on route to Syria through Gibraltar Strait?


Either the crew is stupid or it lost the navigational skills or this action was done on purpose. Normally, it should go through Suez- the shortest path instead of navigating all way around Africa, passing by strait very closely monitored by NATO....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sailorimc for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.07.2019, 12:09
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,508
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,019 Times in 6,799 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
For me it is really strange that the Iranian tanker was seized in Gibraltar. As far as i know the tanker was on route to Syria. Now, my question is: why on Earth a tanker from Iran would be on route to Syria through Gibraltar Strait?


Either the crew is stupid or it lost the navigational skills or this action was done on purpose. Normally, it should go through Suez- the shortest path instead of navigating all way around Africa, passing by strait very closely monitored by NATO....
maybe to avoid having to partially unload the tanker to pass through the canal?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.07.2019, 12:19
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,508
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,019 Times in 6,799 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

see here: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...premium-europe
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.07.2019, 12:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,119
Groaned at 357 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,483 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
maybe to avoid having to partially unload the tanker to pass through the canal?
Could be, (Looked it up, and a max loaded Grace 1 has a draught of 22.1m where the canal only allows 20.1 for ships of this width).

And combined with your link which says that unloading is no option we should have our answer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.07.2019, 13:23
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,146
Groaned at 897 Times in 614 Posts
Thanked 10,151 Times in 4,834 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
For me it is really strange that the Iranian tanker was seized in Gibraltar. As far as i know the tanker was on route to Syria. Now, my question is: why on Earth a tanker from Iran would be on route to Syria through Gibraltar Strait?


Either the crew is stupid or it lost the navigational skills or this action was done on purpose. Normally, it should go through Suez- the shortest path instead of navigating all way around Africa, passing by strait very closely monitored by NATO....



Normally yes, but a 300kt tanker is a big fat for Suez


If you think Africa is mon itored, what do you think Suez is then ? Every row boat that passes pays and gets registered !!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.07.2019, 13:42
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

The ship in question is a so-called "Capesize" tanker (one typo away from a disaster) with a draught of over 20 meters and they have to go around the Cape.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.07.2019, 14:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,119
Groaned at 357 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,483 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
The ship in question is a so-called "Capesize" tanker (one typo away from a disaster) with a draught of over 20 meters and they have to go around the Cape.
Normally they also can use the SUMED pipeline to partially unload so they can cross the canal, but they are not allowed to use the pipeline for Iranian oil (the line is owned by diff parties of which SA is one.).

Extra complication is that this ship is to old to be allowed in most harbours.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.07.2019, 14:15
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
Normally they also can use the SUMED pipeline to partially unload so they can cross the canal, but they are not allowed to use the pipeline for Iranian oil (the line is owned by diff parties of which SA is one.).

Extra complication is that this ship is to old to be allowed in most harbours.
Looks like Iran is with their back to the wall. I wonder how long it will be before they realize that they have nothing to lose. It also seems (taken with a biiig pinch of salt) that the US has asked Theran to allow a limited strike somewhere in the desert to save face after the drone affair.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.07.2019, 14:48
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,457
Groaned at 288 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 21,413 Times in 7,803 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
Looks like Iran is with their back to the wall. I wonder how long it will be before they realize that they have nothing to lose. It also seems (taken with a biiig pinch of salt) that the US has asked Theran to allow a limited strike somewhere in the desert to save face after the drone affair.
"Sure Mr President. We would allow you an airstrike on the Iranian city of Riyadh… no, we would not make a fuzz about it... here are the coordinates..."
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.07.2019, 14:51
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Smooth.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.07.2019, 17:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 263 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,898 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Tankertrackers.com provides an informative description of the situation.

Not just what's been mentioned above (tanker likely to have 22m draft, partial offloading to pass the Suez canal not possible because the pipeline is partially owned by KSA, which is certain to veto its use by Iran) but also the difficulties awaiting the vessel at Baniyas refinery, its probable destination. The single-buoy moorings allow 20m draft only, probably not enough for the vessel, so they will need to resort to ship-to-ship offloading initially.

Now, the trick aspect is the fact that they didn't register the vessel's transponder in Gibraltar's waters. Close by yes, but not inside. If those data are accurate and complete, the seizing by the UK rather looks illegal.

The strait of Gibraltar 9 miles wide at its narrowest stretches so the territorial waters of Gibraltar/Spain on the northern and Marocco/Ceuta on the southern side should leave a corridor of at least 3 miles international waters. Even for a VLCC one would think that's enough to stay in international waters all the way. Plus, if necessary, certainly they would err on the southern side as the Spanish seem less likely to act aggressively (AFAIK Spain isn't involved in the Syrian war).

Last edited by Urs Max; 08.07.2019 at 18:25.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.07.2019, 17:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,119
Groaned at 357 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,483 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Are you not confusing international waters with transit passage?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.07.2019, 18:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,762
Groaned at 263 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,898 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Most of all I'm mistaken with the 3-miles zone, it's 12 miles.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 08.07.2019, 20:40
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
Tankertrackers.com provides an informative description of the situation.

Not just what's been mentioned above (tanker likely to have 22m draft, partial offloading to pass the Suez canal not possible because the pipeline is partially owned by KSA, which is certain to veto its use by Iran) but also the difficulties awaiting the vessel at Baniyas refinery, its probable destination. The single-buoy moorings allow 20m draft only, probably not enough for the vessel, so they will need to resort to ship-to-ship offloading initially.

Now, the trick aspect is the fact that they didn't register the vessel's transponder in Gibraltar's waters. Close by yes, but not inside. If those data are accurate and complete, the seizing by the UK rather looks illegal.

The strait of Gibraltar 9 miles wide at its narrowest stretches so the territorial waters of Gibraltar/Spain on the northern and Marocco/Ceuta on the southern side should leave a corridor of at least 3 miles international waters. Even for a VLCC one would think that's enough to stay in international waters all the way. Plus, if necessary, certainly they would err on the southern side as the Spanish seem less likely to act aggressively (AFAIK Spain isn't involved in the Syrian war).
There is a separation zone in the straits of Gib and the outbound traffic is well within Spanish waters. I assume that the tanker took the route and that would make a boarding by the British navy very naughty indeed.
Come to think of it, if a foreign navel power takes a civilian ship in the waters of another country, is it commerce raiding and is the captured ship a prize?
This is some real 19th century "ARRR, Shiver me timbers!" shit here.

Last edited by slammer; 09.07.2019 at 00:33.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 11.07.2019, 09:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,698
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,290 Times in 7,840 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
Boats believed to belong to the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps failed to seize a British oil tanker in the Persian Gulf on Wednesday, according to reports.

U.S. officials with knowledge of the incident told CNN the British Heritage tanker was approached by five armed Iranian boats while sailing out of the Persian Gulf and crossing the Strait of Hormuz.

An overhead U.S. aircraft recorded a video of the incident, according to CNN.
Source

Getting serious!!

Edit: According to CNN "The UK's Royal Navy frigate HMS Montrose had been escorting the tanker from the rear. It trained its deck guns on the Iranians and gave them a verbal warning to back away, which they did. Montrose is equipped on the deck with 30 mm guns specifically designed to drive off small boats."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.07.2019, 10:13
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,876
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,239 Times in 3,099 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
Source

Getting serious!!

Edit: According to CNN "The UK's Royal Navy frigate HMS Montrose had been escorting the tanker from the rear. It trained its deck guns on the Iranians and gave them a verbal warning to back away, which they did. Montrose is equipped on the deck with 30 mm guns specifically designed to drive off small boats."

Fake news, the Tehran Times makes no mention of it, so it never happened.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 11.07.2019, 15:53
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 474
Groaned at 208 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 1,764 Times in 964 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: Iranian tanker pirated?

Quote:
View Post
Source

Getting serious!!

Edit: According to CNN "The UK's Royal Navy frigate HMS Montrose had been escorting the tanker from the rear. It trained its deck guns on the Iranians and gave them a verbal warning to back away, which they did. Montrose is equipped on the deck with 30 mm guns specifically designed to drive off small boats."
The British navy did what was expected of it - protect shipping. well done.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tanker Fire in Pakistan Medea Fleecestealer International affairs/politics 2 25.06.2017 19:49
Bringing pirated (possibly) dvd's into Zurich Airport tokeshu Daily life 15 05.01.2014 04:43
Help! My email address got pirated I think sweetnsour TV/internet/telephone 8 20.10.2012 15:04
Pirated Software usage kani Other/general 101 14.06.2012 22:28
Offering pirated software - NOT ALLOWED ON FORUM IT_research_student Forum support 2 20.03.2007 15:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0