Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 19.01.2020, 17:48
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,629
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,439 Times in 7,464 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
Same for any country with an active and current monarchy, I would imagine. Why wouldn’t there be interest among the populations of those countries?
Naaa, the average Dutch doesn't care/talk about their royals.

Of course there are the yellow-post junkies but we got those in Switzerland too - sailing on the royals elsewhere. I wonder if we had those junkies if there were no hairdressers though.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 19.01.2020, 18:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Naaa, the average Dutch doesn't care/talk about their royals.
To be honest, I‘m a Brit and don‘t think or talk about the royals (obvs this thread is an exception but it‘s relevant here).

I‘m sure the royals in their respective nations get their fair share of column inches in their media, too, and that makes for a current talking point among people. Didn‘t a Danish royal marry an Aussie commoner a few years ago? She seems to be regularly in their press.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 19.01.2020, 20:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,284
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,971 Times in 6,613 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Naaa, the average Dutch doesn't care/talk about their royals.
We only mention them in a way like "our queen is hotter than yours"
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 19.01.2020, 20:31
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,629
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,439 Times in 7,464 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
We only mention them in a way like "our queen is hotter than yours"


You're Dutch, right? Well, while you right about that, you're not playing fair.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 20.01.2020, 08:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
To be honest, I‘m a Brit and don‘t think or talk about the royals (obvs this thread is an exception but it‘s relevant here).

I‘m sure the royals in their respective nations get their fair share of column inches in their media, too, and that makes for a current talking point among people. Didn‘t a Danish royal marry an Aussie commoner a few years ago? She seems to be regularly in their press.
Yes, it's funny how so many people think they can relate to royals. Even those (mostly those?) who live paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 20.01.2020, 13:17
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 10,747 Times in 4,739 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Yes, it's funny how so many people think they can relate to royals.
Never been a royalist but I'm glad we've got the Queen and not a president.

When I was a kid, the Queen used to put her headscarf on and nip into Windsor in her car to pick up a few bits of shopping, usually nipping into a particular sweet shop from what I've been told. Obviously, that hasn't happened for a long, long time. William regularly visitied the motorway services where I worked on his way to and from uni back in 2004-05, and all my colleagues had met him a few times except for me . I used to get a text from the staff on south forecourt (petrol station) just saying 'William's here' because they had to inform the duty manager if any celeb was on the premises. I used to go over to make sure the visit went ok, and was always met by a group of gobsmacked truck drivers huddled around the coffee machine, showing off their photos with him.

They're just people born into a situation that I don't envy. Some people crave fame, but I can understand not appreciating it or wanting it when you haven't known anything else. Good luck to the lad. I hope his decision makes him happy and that he has no regrets.

Now, time to catch up on Piers Morgan to see if he's spontaneously combusted yet.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 20.01.2020, 13:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Never been a royalist but I'm glad we've got the Queen and not a president.

When I was a kid, the Queen used to put her headscarf on and nip into Windsor in her car to pick up a few bits of shopping, usually nipping into a particular sweet shop from what I've been told. Obviously, that hasn't happened for a long, long time. William regularly visitied the motorway services where I worked on his way to and from uni back in 2004-05, and all my colleagues had met him a few times except for me . I used to get a text from the staff on south forecourt (petrol station) just saying 'William's here' because they had to inform the duty manager if any celeb was on the premises. I used to go over to make sure the visit went ok, and was always met by a group of gobsmacked truck drivers huddled around the coffee machine, showing off their photos with him.

They're just people born into a situation that I don't envy. Some people crave fame, but I can understand not appreciating it or wanting it when you haven't known anything else. Good luck to the lad. I hope his decision makes him happy and that he has no regrets.

Now, time to catch up on Piers Morgan to see if he's spontaneously combusted yet.

Harry always seemed a bit of a rebel, no? This decision is just like him, or how should I put it...
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 20.01.2020, 13:40
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 10,747 Times in 4,739 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Harry always seemed a bit of a rebel, no? This decision is just like him, or how should I put it...
Honestly don't know, but he's been very open talking about his own mental health issues in the past and going back some years. Last night he implied that the debate around his decision goes back a good few years. What if his initial decision predates meeting Meghan? What if she's known all along what he hoped to do and has taken the heat to divert some of it from him?

If his grandma can respect his decision, then I don't see that anyone else should be bothered by it, and I wish the British media would just eff off and leave the lad alone.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 20.01.2020, 13:51
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Never been a royalist but I'm glad we've got the Queen and not a president.
I don't see that it makes much difference, they both represent the country, go around the country opening this and that, are patrons of various charities etc...

At least with presidents you don't have a cast of hundreds and they usually have a constitutional role in the running of the country with the power to enforce it.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 20.01.2020, 15:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Honestly don't know, but he's been very open talking about his own mental health issues in the past and going back some years. Last night he implied that the debate around his decision goes back a good few years. What if his initial decision predates meeting Meghan? What if she's known all along what he hoped to do and has taken the heat to divert some of it from him?
.
I wouldn't be surprised if she knew everything about his problems and rushed this decision a bit. Good for them to stand by each other as a couple, family.

Quote:
View Post
If his grandma can respect his decision, then I don't see that anyone else should be bothered by it, and I wish the British media would just eff off and leave the lad alone.
Yes, but the media will never (completely) leave them alone. Or at least I don't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 20.01.2020, 16:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but the media will never (completely) leave them alone. Or at least I don't think so.



Rubbish, they will soon fade into the limelight completely, before they were "Royal" and traded on this heavily, now they are nothings
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #92  
Old 20.01.2020, 20:49
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,283
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,182 Times in 3,480 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

I wonder if Harry can do a U-turn, say they get divorced and Meghan gets a black merc and a trip to Paris. Could Harry reroyal himself?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #93  
Old 20.01.2020, 20:57
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,128
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,100 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if Harry can do a U-turn, say they get divorced and Meghan gets a black merc and a trip to Paris. Could Harry reroyal himself?
Don't see why not. He's still a prince after all.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #94  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:02
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
Rubbish, they will soon fade into the limelight completely, before they were "Royal" and traded on this heavily, now they are nothings
But they are not nothing, they will remain someone's meal ticket along way. Hopefully their sake it will get a bit easier, but there will always some photographer or journalist hope to make a buck out of them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #95  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:06
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if Harry can do a U-turn, say they get divorced and Meghan gets a black merc and a trip to Paris. Could Harry reroyal himself?
They have not given up anything, just agreed not to accept public funds or use their HRH titles. Anytime they want to come back, assuming the monarch agrees, all that is needed is a press statement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:09
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,265
Groaned at 393 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 19,966 Times in 10,397 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
They have not given up anything, just agreed not to accept public funds or use their HRH titles. Anytime they want to come back, assuming the monarch agrees, all that is needed is a press statement.
So why the stunt?

That question aside, William and Kate do not seem exactly the happiest people, tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
So why the stunt?

That question aside, William and Kate do not seem exactly the happiest people, tbh.
Not a stunt. Think it's a very definite act of a man who knows what it's like to live a life of public scrutiny and is doing his best to safeguard the mental health of his family. He's got the means to pick and choose and that, probably, pisses folk off. Probably the same folk who worshipped Diana - a 19 year old married off to a much older man who was in love with someone else and had to bear the traditional heir and spare until she could carve out any real life for herself - and put her on an impossible pedestal.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:40
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
Diana - a 19 year old married off to a much older man
13 years is not "much older".

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
13 years is not "much older".

Tom
It is when you're 19 and 32. But whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 20.01.2020, 21:56
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,265
Groaned at 393 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 19,966 Times in 10,397 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Megxit

Quote:
View Post
13 years is not "much older".

Tom
Are you thinking Macron?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0