Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #17181  
Old 26.11.2020, 15:50
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 15,117
Groaned at 301 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 19,229 Times in 8,093 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

why hasn't europe implemented a working mandatory track and trace system yet? we could all have been living relatively normal lives by now.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #17182  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
why hasn't europe implemented a working mandatory track and trace system yet? we could all have been living relatively normal lives by now.
Because, personal liberty! Freedom!
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17183  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,532
Groaned at 413 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 17,735 Times in 8,972 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Because, personal liberty! Freedom!
Personal liberty and freedom to infect the others?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #17184  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 465 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 5,103 Times in 1,852 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
English Coronavirus updates for Switzerland
@CoronaEnglish
Breaking:
First vaccination centre in Switzerland will be in Basel. It will open in January at Messe Basel. It should have capacity to vaccine 40k people – that's the size of the risk group in the canton. #CoronaInfoCH
https://twitter.com/CoronaEnglish/st...48166313353218
Can I move back to Basel now?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #17185  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 800
Groaned at 109 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,108 Times in 550 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't know what you are talking sbout. They are mostly people who enjoy individual freedoms and resent the Swedish "society and government know best what is good for you" culture.
I have big surprise for you. scheme
Quote:
"society and government know best what is good for you" culture
pretty fits to most of EU

Last edited by vladest; 26.11.2020 at 16:45.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank vladest for this useful post:
This user groans at vladest for this post:
  #17186  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
why hasn't europe implemented a working mandatory track and trace system yet? we could all have been living relatively normal lives by now.
What exactly would you mandate? Seems to me its more a capacity thing than an unwillingness to provide information.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 26.11.2020 at 16:49.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #17187  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,477 Times in 524 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
When I go into a bar and order 3 deci wine ( so alcoholic am I) that is 3 dl or three deciliters or 0.3 liters.
Prost, chinchin usw.
That ... isn't much. I like a large glass or why bother
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #17188  
Old 26.11.2020, 16:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That ... isn't much. I like a large glass or why bother
My rule with wine (as someone who is 100% a beer person) was always that it must be free, and I must want to get a little drunk.
Reply With Quote
  #17189  
Old 26.11.2020, 17:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That ... isn't much. I like a large glass or why bother


3 dL is a tumblerful!

A wine glass is supposed to be filled just to the widest point of the bowl, to maximize air exposure and thus bring out the flavour. It's no coincidence that it takes about 150 ml to fill most wine glasses to the widest point -- the point a which the wine has maximum surface area.



Even in a beautiful oversized Burgundy or Bordeaux glass like the one above, big enough to take an entire bottle of wine, a serving of 3 dL would be pretty huge.

But what's not to love about huge servings of wine?

ETA: This isn't mansplaining. I mean, it can't be, this is the internet where everybody is genderless. It's more shock, followed by personsplaining, really.

Last edited by Guest; 26.11.2020 at 17:57.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17190  
Old 26.11.2020, 17:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,532
Groaned at 413 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 17,735 Times in 8,972 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Even in a beautiful oversized Burgundy or Bordeaux glass like the one above, big enough to take an entire bottle of wine, a serving of 3 dL would be pretty huge.

But what's not to love about huge servings of wine?
I love a good red wine served properly. But those glasses are a pita to wash. They don't fit in the upper drawer of the dishwasher and if I place them down with the plates they usually break or have detergent stains.

Should I invest more in a proper set of Burgundy and Bordeaux glasses?
I guess that's first world problem, no?
Reply With Quote
  #17191  
Old 26.11.2020, 17:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I love a good red wine served properly. But those glasses are a pita to wash. They don't fit in the upper drawer of the dishwasher and if I place them down with the plates they usually break or have detergent stains.

Should I invest more in a proper set of Burgundy and Bordeaux glasses?
I guess that's first world problem, no?
Yes, it's a FWP, and yes, you should invest in a proper set of glasses! You could start with Riedel before investing in Baccarat... or even these for your jacuzzi...

But above all, be sure to invite me when you christen your new glasses!

I guess some may think this is veering off topic...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17192  
Old 26.11.2020, 18:11
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What exactly would you mandate? Seems to me its more a capacity thing than an unwillingness to provide information.
At such scale to watch for data security would be a moot. Goodbye securing privacy of medical data. I do think it will boil down to apps and technology, though. If tracing and tracking is fast enough.

Tony - to make you smile: https://www.4sd.info/covid-19-narrat...-virus-at-bay/

Read his paragraph E. Took WHO a while but Swiss gov is on track with them.

Last edited by MusicChick; 26.11.2020 at 18:23.
Reply With Quote
  #17193  
Old 26.11.2020, 18:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,532
Groaned at 413 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 17,735 Times in 8,972 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Yes, it's a FWP, and yes, you should invest in a proper set of glasses! You could start with Riedel before investing in Baccarat... or even these for your jacuzzi...

But above all, be sure to invite me when you christen your new glasses!

I guess some may think this is veering off topic...
Thanks, I'll check them out! And it would be my honour, Mr.Yards.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #17194  
Old 26.11.2020, 19:04
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I have big surprise for you. scheme..[komsomolez's quote]
pretty fits to most of EU
Yes. I do not think it works that way in Vysegrad and it peeves off the other EU states.

Komsomol was a Soviet youth organization in Russia.

Switzerald is a system that doesn't act towards its citizens that the gov knows better. I am fond of the referendums.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #17195  
Old 26.11.2020, 19:28
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Actually, on reflection, maybe I have read too much into this. I just found it a bit unsettling.
I don't think you are reading too much into this. Mental state has a lot to do with recovery. To be urged (which is something I can see happening) to sign DNAR when there is pandemics and shortage of staff/beds..while one is hospitalized, scared already enough and unwell, looks unethical to me. A pragmatic move as opposed to helping. But I also believe that it is supposed to warn people at risk via media, maybe like the triage stories. It seems more rare than what we might expect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #17196  
Old 26.11.2020, 19:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I love a good red wine served properly. But those glasses are a pita to wash. They don't fit in the upper drawer of the dishwasher and if I place them down with the plates they usually break or have detergent stains.

Should I invest more in a proper set of Burgundy and Bordeaux glasses?
I guess that's first world problem, no?
Sometimes you need to accept you have to handwash. No matter how painful that might be.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17197  
Old 27.11.2020, 08:54
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,798
Groaned at 2,649 Times in 1,883 Posts
Thanked 39,931 Times in 18,841 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I normally drink wine from a 1dl bar glass.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #17198  
Old 27.11.2020, 08:59
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Scalded, the Swedes refuse the vaccine against the Covid

The Scandinavian people were vaccinated against H1N1 in 2009, at the call of the government. Side effects, such as narcolepsy, cooled them down.

In 2009, the local health authorities called on the Swedes to be - voluntarily - vaccinated against swine flu, with Pandemrix produced by the British laboratory GlaxoSmithKline.

More than 60% of the population - nearly six million people - had answered the call, a world record, in a country where no vaccine is however compulsory.

But like Meissa, hundreds of people, mostly children and young adults, have developed narcolepsy from a side effect of the vaccine. In question: an adjuvant whose role was to increase the immune effect.

“It destroyed my life,” says Meissa, who was eleven at the time. “I fall asleep all the time, in all situations and at inappropriate times: at the table, during job interviews, during speeches, seminars, at university. I fell asleep at work, in buses, everywhere ... ”, lists the young resident of Örebro, in central Sweden.

Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist and figure in Sweden's controversial Covid-19 strategy, was part of the health council's panel of experts that called for mass vaccination in 2009-2010.

“Of course the decision would have been completely different if we had known the side effects. But they were completely unknown, a surprise for everyone, ”he told AFP.

https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/echaud...d-371594447544
__________________
"FAQ is not binding."
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #17199  
Old 27.11.2020, 10:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 3,047
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,176 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Scalded, the Swedes refuse the vaccine against the Covid

The Scandinavian people were vaccinated against H1N1 in 2009, at the call of the government. Side effects, such as narcolepsy, cooled them down.

In 2009, the local health authorities called on the Swedes to be - voluntarily - vaccinated against swine flu, with Pandemrix produced by the British laboratory GlaxoSmithKline.

More than 60% of the population - nearly six million people - had answered the call, a world record, in a country where no vaccine is however compulsory.

But like Meissa, hundreds of people, mostly children and young adults, have developed narcolepsy from a side effect of the vaccine. In question: an adjuvant whose role was to increase the immune effect.

“It destroyed my life,” says Meissa, who was eleven at the time. “I fall asleep all the time, in all situations and at inappropriate times: at the table, during job interviews, during speeches, seminars, at university. I fell asleep at work, in buses, everywhere ... ”, lists the young resident of Örebro, in central Sweden.

Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist and figure in Sweden's controversial Covid-19 strategy, was part of the health council's panel of experts that called for mass vaccination in 2009-2010.

“Of course the decision would have been completely different if we had known the side effects. But they were completely unknown, a surprise for everyone, ”he told AFP.

https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/echaud...d-371594447544
For all you and your cronies talking down COVID-19 and how low the chance of someone without any pre-existing conditions or being younger dying is I find it funny that you didn't mention that the vaccine attributable risk for narcolpesy in children and adolescents due to this vaccine was 1 in 18400 or 0.005%

Last edited by porsch1909; 27.11.2020 at 10:55. Reason: Mistake
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #17200  
Old 27.11.2020, 10:55
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,232
Groaned at 281 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 24,474 Times in 9,958 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Sometimes you need to accept you have to handwash. No matter how painful that might be.
I thought you were referring to sanitising vs washing hands for a minute until I realised you were talking about the glasses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (0 members and 10 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 346 02.04.2022 05:21
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 13:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 09:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 18:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 11:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0