Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 06.04.2020, 19:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,426
Groaned at 407 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 17,457 Times in 8,844 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammerīs rambling musings

Quote:
View Post
Wait a minute, so you mean to tell me, that the Swiss banks thought that all the illegal money deposited for decades from dubious sources, despots, war mongers was simply done for altruistic reasons? Self-interest, so be it but there is no one with the right set of mind, that would prefer a different domineering country, other than the U.S. Freedom has its price and I'd rather live under the wings of the soaring bald eagle than having to deal with either stagnating monoliths from out East.
The idea of freedom having a price is not a metaphor actually, for some countries this price means the power and resources they handed over to EU and those 2% from GDP to NATO. Nothing is for free, I agree, but some pay more and some less.
I'd start reforming EU accordingly, cut some undeserved funds and PR from those countries that enjoyed way too long lots of advantages some others didn't, and still complain as if EU is the worst thing that happened to them.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 06.04.2020, 20:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,912
Groaned at 556 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 13,319 Times in 6,919 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammerīs rambling musings

Quote:
View Post
Wait a minute, so you mean to tell me, that the Swiss banks thought that all the illegal money deposited for decades from dubious sources, despots, war mongers was simply done for altruistic reasons? Self-interest, so be it but there is no one with the right set of mind, that would prefer a different domineering country, other than the U.S. Freedom has its price and I'd rather live under the wings of the soaring bald eagle than having to deal with either stagnating monoliths from out East.
The US, being the genocidal mass murderers they are, lack the moral standing to make any kind of reproaches.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at Urs Max for this post:
  #223  
Old 06.04.2020, 20:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,912
Groaned at 556 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 13,319 Times in 6,919 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammerīs rambling musings

Quote:
View Post
Not sure I've ever seen the US on trial for genocide at the UN.
The US don't accept any authority other than their own. AFAIK a UN warcrime tribunal won't happen unless the country (all countries involved) submits itself under its rule.

Besides, "whose bread I eat, whose song I sing". IIRC the US contributes about a quarter of its budget. Assuming they fulfill their contractual obligations, that is, which is far from a given.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 06.04.2020, 20:38
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Very true. Good leadership is rare to come by though.
This.

Good leadership is tough, when in good times you are pushed to not run centrally and when in crisis you are blamed for giving the power to individual areas to suit their needs. Any federal oversight is in the same double pressure, anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 06.04.2020, 21:26
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammerīs rambling musings

Quote:
View Post
The US, being the genocidal mass murderers they are, lack the moral standing to make any kind of reproaches.
What genocide have they commited?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #226  
Old 06.04.2020, 23:00
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,513
Groaned at 139 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 1,736 Times in 796 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammerīs rambling musings

Quote:
View Post
What genocide have they commited?
Native Americans
Japan
Vietnam
Cambodia
Philippines
Guatemala
El Salvador
Palestine
Iraq
Aghanistan

Apart from the nearly nonstop killing since 9/11 almost 20 years ago, there's a longer list of wars by proxy from CIA backed coups etc to facilitating the support of maniacal dictators from central & south America to Africa & every corner of the globe that have perpetrated genocide with the tacit approval if not logistic support of the US. There isn't a country in history that has been involved with the taking of more innocent lives than the US - it's not an opinion, it's simply a fact (>20 million)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 08.04.2020, 08:35
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,004
Groaned at 803 Times in 451 Posts
Thanked 4,767 Times in 2,087 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Another thought came up in conversation with a friend of mine who is a doctor. He was saying that he is completely bored at hospital at the moment, no operations or consultations are taking place unless they are emergencies. Most staff are furloughed. He said this is the situation across the country and ICU's haven't been overwhelmed with Coronavirus cases as they'd expected.

What will this mean to health insurance next year? Are we going to see a big jump in premiums? And who will support the hospitals financially, they also have their costs and risk going bust when not being used?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #228  
Old 08.04.2020, 08:43
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Another thought came up in conversation with a friend of mine who is a doctor. He was saying that he is completely bored at hospital at the moment, no operations or consultations are taking place unless they are emergencies. Most staff are furloughed. He said this is the situation across the country and ICU's haven't been overwhelmed with Coronavirus cases as they'd expected.

What will this mean to health insurance next year? Are we going to see a big jump in premiums? And who will support the hospitals financially, they also have their costs and risk going bust when not being used?
I think the premiums have a better chance like this, knock on wood, than in the opposite scenario. Slow trickle of Covid patients and appropriate care is cheaper than a complete overwhealm NYC/IT style. It shows that CH got ready fast. Maybe ask this question in a month, you will know more.

Last edited by MusicChick; 08.04.2020 at 09:29.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08.04.2020, 12:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,387
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,779 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

And on the lighter side, and you canīt make this stuff up....

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia was "offered" by a Chinese company 10 million face masks for the paltry sum of 14.7 million Euros....
They paid the monies, got the trucks lined up in a Dutch port...
Only to find out they have been scammed!
Looks like the sons and daughters of Teuton fell hook line and sinker for a e-bay fraud.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08.04.2020, 13:16
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
And on the lighter side, and you canīt make this stuff up....

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia was "offered" by a Chinese company 10 million face masks for the paltry sum of 14.7 million Euros....
They paid the monies, got the trucks lined up in a Dutch port...
Only to find out they have been scammed!
Looks like the sons and daughters of Teuton fell hook line and sinker for a e-bay fraud.
Did they say who did this?
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 08.04.2020, 16:19
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,387
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,779 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Did they say who did this?
No, but it seems that they were able to recover most of the money, except for about two million.

What an easy way to make money, who do we know who needs a good scamming, just asking.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #232  
Old 10.04.2020, 16:05
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,387
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,779 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Been having thoughts, I know they are coming from out of a strange place, but thatīs the world we live in.
With all this corona stuff going on people are forgetting other things.
Bear with me but I am wondering; for the last few years temperatures have been rising and our bit of Europe has been drying out, remember two years ago and the Rhine almost had no water flow? Well this year the drought is shaping up to be worse, especially now that due to the reduction of air traffic and the easing up of atmospheric pollution earths albedo has sunk almost to 1950ties levels, meaning that sunlight is not being reflected back into space further heating up the planet.
Scientists have long had the idea that the only thing holding back runaway global warming are our own emissions into the atmosphere.
I did read that one of the things that climate scientists struggling to figure out is that the level of global warming is not as high as it should be.
Perhaps this year we will find out just how much we are fooked and that corona is the least of our worries.
__________________
Back in Bavaria, godīs own belly button.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #233  
Old 10.04.2020, 16:08
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Been having thoughts, I know they are coming from out of a strange place, but thatīs the world we live in.
With all this corona stuff going on people are forgetting other things.
Bear with me but I am wondering; for the last few years temperatures have been rising and our bit of Europe has been drying out, remember two years ago and the Rhine almost had no water flow? Well this year the drought is shaping up to be worse, especially now that due to the reduction of air traffic and the easing up of atmospheric pollution earths albedo has sunk almost to 1950ties levels, meaning that sunlight is not being reflected back into space further heating up the planet.
Scientists have long had the idea that the only thing holding back runaway global warming are our own emissions into the atmosphere.
I did read that one of the things that climate scientists struggling to figure out is that the level of global warming is not as high as it should be.
Perhaps this year we will find out just how much we are fooked and that corona is the least of our worries.
Yes, (yer losing your marbles in isolation).
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 10.04.2020, 16:12
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Oui.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 10.04.2020, 16:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,684
Groaned at 406 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 6,503 Times in 2,988 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Been having thoughts, I know they are coming from out of a strange place, but thatīs the world we live in.
With all this corona stuff going on people are forgetting other things.
Bear with me but I am wondering; for the last few years temperatures have been rising and our bit of Europe has been drying out, remember two years ago and the Rhine almost had no water flow? Well this year the drought is shaping up to be worse, especially now that due to the reduction of air traffic and the easing up of atmospheric pollution earths albedo has sunk almost to 1950ties levels, meaning that sunlight is not being reflected back into space further heating up the planet.
Scientists have long had the idea that the only thing holding back runaway global warming are our own emissions into the atmosphere.
I did read that one of the things that climate scientists struggling to figure out is that the level of global warming is not as high as it should be.
Perhaps this year we will find out just how much we are fooked and that corona is the least of our worries.
Actually the climate is benefiting from the Corona crisis in the short term. Unfortunately it will not continue to be the least of our worries when things “normalise”. That might be our next crisis, who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 10.04.2020, 16:14
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,332
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
With all this corona stuff going on people are forgetting other things.

Perhaps this year we will find out just how much we are fooked and that corona is the least of our worries.
You're late to the party

But you tell people to maybe bother at least a tiny but about climate change and no one gives a sh*. God forbid you should make minuscule changes in your life. Too much to ask.

Yet it's undoubtedly the bigger risk to ALL of us than anything else. Directly and indirectly.

Let's see how much excess mortality the next heat wave will lead to, around here and elsewhere. But I have a feeling there will be no live ticker for it.

It'll also be fun to watch the excess damage that wi be done once everyone ramps up, very likely more than before wherever they can, to make up for lost time and money.

Fun times ahead.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #237  
Old 10.04.2020, 19:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,426
Groaned at 407 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 17,457 Times in 8,844 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
It'll also be fun to watch the excess damage that wi be done once everyone ramps up, very likely more than before wherever they can, to make up for lost time and money.

Fun times ahead.
I guess many will be too afraid to travel as much as before or to do other things exactly as before. Concerts, frequenting crowded places etc And probably there will be new rules most countries will impose to prevent similar...episodes. At least for a while. I don't think we'll be back to business so soon.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #238  
Old 10.04.2020, 19:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
I guess many will be too afraid to travel as much as before or to do other things exactly as before. Concerts, frequenting crowded places etc And probably there will be new rules most countries will impose to prevent similar...episodes. At least for a while. I don't think we'll be back to business so soon.
And the Swiss will go back to their " normal " social distancing of 1 metre!
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 11.04.2020, 09:39
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,285
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,739 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

If anything,
Perhaps,
Just maybe,
When it's all over,
Biological research will get more funding.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #240  
Old 11.04.2020, 11:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,426
Groaned at 407 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 17,457 Times in 8,844 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Biological research will get more funding.
Will countries be allowed to reopen their own research institutes or will they be kept dependant on the big pharma and "friendly governments" while their best people will keep migrating to the aforementioned places?

We'll see. Ha.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EF Community Corona Helpline lost_inbroad Daily life 122 27.02.2022 21:33
SNB Pegs CHF to the EUR!!! [and the aftermath of the removal of the cap] Guest Swiss politics/news 1368 07.09.2017 09:13
Vietnam war and aftermath yacek International affairs/politics 46 09.05.2015 05:59
Aftermath of SNB EUR Peg Discontinuation - Would you be happy to take a 20% pay cut? The_Love_Doctor Finance/banking/taxation 57 21.01.2015 10:59
Colleague got sacked - Swiss aftermath. ElggDK Employment 83 26.07.2013 17:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0