Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 11.04.2020, 12:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
You're late to the party

But you tell people to maybe bother at least a tiny but about climate change and no one gives a sh*. God forbid you should make minuscule changes in your life. Too much to ask.

Yet it's undoubtedly the bigger risk to ALL of us than anything else. Directly and indirectly.

Let's see how much excess mortality the next heat wave will lead to, around here and elsewhere. But I have a feeling there will be no live ticker for it.

It'll also be fun to watch the excess damage that wi be done once everyone ramps up, very likely more than before wherever they can, to make up for lost time and money.

Fun times ahead.
Well quite. We routinely overblow acute risks and ignore chronic ones.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #242  
Old 11.04.2020, 17:39
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Will countries be allowed to reopen their own research institutes or will they be kept dependant on the big pharma and "friendly governments" while their best people will keep migrating to the aforementioned places?

We'll see. Ha.
Yes. Bio terrorism will get a big boost!
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 11.04.2020, 19:06
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,376
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,706 Times in 3,748 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Well perhaps this is a kind of teaser trailer to what it would take to actually "save" the planet, or at least postpone the inevitable collapse of society due to climate change.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 13.04.2020, 07:53
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Tom Hanks " coming out"!

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/ich-hab...a-747145941985
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 13.04.2020, 08:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 791
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 864 Times in 446 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Just picked up this thread. Predictions the second half of 2020:
Civil war in the USA
Northern EU bails out southern EU
Eastern EU is cast adrift and picked up by Putin for a song
Chinese economy tanks
Global warming continues in spite of localised air pollution falling
Australian politicians undergo a rebirth as feely touchy (at 2 meters distance) greenies.
Multiple vaccines against viruses becoming the norm
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 13.04.2020, 08:40
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Just picked up this thread. Predictions the second half of 2020:
Civil war in the USA
Northern EU bails out southern EU
Eastern EU is cast adrift and picked up by Putin for a song
Chinese economy tanks
Global warming continues in spite of localised air pollution falling
Australian politicians undergo a rebirth as feely touchy (at 2 meters distance) greenies.
Multiple vaccines against viruses becoming the norm
And NZ?

Last time I remember kids were already taking "hexa-vaccines". Multiple has been the norm for a quite a while.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 13.04.2020, 08:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Just picked up this thread. Predictions the second half of 2020:
Civil war in the USA
Northern EU bails out southern EU
Eastern EU is cast adrift and picked up by Putin for a song
Chinese economy tanks
Global warming continues in spite of localised air pollution falling
Australian politicians undergo a rebirth as feely touchy (at 2 meters distance) greenies.
Multiple vaccines against viruses becoming the norm
Yes. Bushwick is coming

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4720702/
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 13.04.2020, 08:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 400 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 17,320 Times in 8,767 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Bio terrorism will get a big boost!
"Bio terrorism" is practiced by the big dogs. Small countries need to produce most of their vaccines and medicines and other medical stuff. Some are able. Or maybe we must wait for China/Russia/etc to save us...
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 13.04.2020, 09:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 791
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 864 Times in 446 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
And NZ?

Last time I remember kids were already taking "hexa-vaccines". Multiple has been the norm for a quite a while.
Yes, we Kiwis are only beaten by the Canadians for a kind of smug belief that we do it right.
But I am dusting off my passport and getting the waka ready as there may be no more flights
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank KiwiSteve for this useful post:
  #250  
Old 13.04.2020, 10:06
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
Yes, we Kiwis are only beaten by the Canadians for a kind of smug belief that we do it right.
But I am dusting off my passport and getting the waka ready as there may be no more flights
To fly to NZ or out? You guys are funnier in your smugness, btw.

What is waka? Can I say Kiwis or only you can say Kiwis..
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 13.04.2020, 10:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 791
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 864 Times in 446 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
To fly to NZ or out? You guys are funnier in your smugness, btw.

What is waka? Can I say Kiwis or only you can say Kiwis..
Fly to Thanks.
A waka is a maori canoe, the first polynesian settlers arrived by waka.
We are happy to be called Kiwis. The fruit is a Kiwifruit (or chinese gooseberry). We use also use Kiwi to refer to the bird but the context normally makes it clear what is being referred to
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KiwiSteve for this useful post:
  #252  
Old 14.04.2020, 09:10
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,958
Groaned at 795 Times in 444 Posts
Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,047 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

President Macron said in his address to the nation last night that supply chains will have to become more French following the Coronavirus outbreak. Another signal that globalism will decline.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #253  
Old 14.04.2020, 09:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 400 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 17,320 Times in 8,767 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
President Macron said in his address to the nation last night that supply chains will have to become more French following the Coronavirus outbreak. Another signal that globalism will decline.

I'm pretty sure he refers to France, but he will be up in his arms if other countries in the EU will start doing the same things. He'll invoke freedom of goods and capitals etc. He's done that before.
He'll protect all the French investments - rest assured.

lol

They have no alternative to "globalism" for the moment, this is just for the public who needs some nationalistic propaganda right now. Same as Italy. It's funny, some of us are amused.

As for those who honestly believe EU will collapse as a result of this pandemic...here's something for you. It won't. They need it. There's no alternative to it for the moment. This nationalistic masquarades are just for the public.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #254  
Old 14.04.2020, 09:42
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,332
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
I'm pretty sure he refers to France, but he will be up in his arms if other countries in the EU will start doing the same things. He'll invoke freedom of goods and capitals etc. He's done that before.
He'll protect all the French investments - rest assured.

lol

They have no alternative to "globalism" for the moment, this is just for the public who needs some nationalistic propaganda right now. Same as Italy. It's funny, some of us are amused.

As for those who honestly believe EU will collapse as a result of this pandemic...here's something for you. It won't. They need it. There's no alternative to it for the moment. This nationalistic masquarades are just for the public.
Well look at that, we may fundamentally disagree on other things, but on this one I'm with you - it's the perfect playground for nationalist and authoritarian aholes, and it works beaaaautifully. It's concerning on a whole other level though. It does work in the short term and people actually buy that crap.

Also I guess MAGA, eh? I'm wondering what the consequences on the Trump "administration" will be. On the one hand, I of course want him gone as far and as quickly as possible, for all I care they can send him to the moon on a one-way ticket. A part of me wants to see him get a second term to try to clean up this goddamn mess, even though the flipside of that is that there's a real chance that this will turn into an authoritarian-inspired even bigger mess of unprecedented scale (God knows there's been enough of those tendencies already and as of yesterday, he seems to think he has absolute and unchecked authority - someone needs to inform him that the US is not a dictatorship - yet). Large-scale job loss has a way of leading to authoritarian, racist, nationalist regimes, as well all probably understand by now. I can see it go either way, if lagging indicators such as unemployment rates soar for a longer period of time and right into election period - which is extremely likely - he probably won't be re-elected and a Democrat can clean up the mess.

The EU, however, has proven itself largely irrelevant and that continues to be the best case scenario. It will probably sort-of survive, but mainly because someone (obviously Germany) will need to bail out the bankrupt Southern countries to avoid a complete breakdown in Europe with much worse consequences. So yeah, there's that...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #255  
Old 14.04.2020, 09:52
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
President Macron said in his address to the nation last night that supply chains will have to become more French following the Coronavirus outbreak. Another signal that globalism will decline.
Well..I don't mean to discredit his heroism but could he have said anything else? The borders are shut and will remain so for a while. Without being too political here or thinking he's just being populistic. I predict an EU/Schengen push for open borders that will not be so well accepted.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #256  
Old 14.04.2020, 10:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,320
Groaned at 400 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 17,320 Times in 8,767 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
The EU, however, has proven itself largely irrelevant and that continues to be the best case scenario. It will probably sort-of survive, but mainly because someone (obviously Germany) will need to bail out the bankrupt Southern countries to avoid a complete breakdown in Europe with much worse consequences. So yeah, there's that...
As far as I know Merkel has recently said something about Germany not willing to pay off other countries' debts, but it is very possible she might take a U turn and review her opinion. She's also under pressure - first and foremost the pressures coming from the business environment (Kapital uber alles) and only second, third from their own population. But honestly, I'm not so sure about Germany bailing out yet again the bankrupt South.
And while Germany has an alternative to EU (yes they do), they.....or others - don't.

The ugly part has been exposed now - it is more a union of dependancies and less a union of solidarity. Solidarity with all not only with the eternally bankrupt South.

Last edited by greenmount; 14.04.2020 at 10:25.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 14.04.2020, 10:18
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,332
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know Merkel has recently said something about Germany not willing to pay off other countries' debts, but it is very possible she might take a U turn and review her opinion. She's also under pressure - first and foremost the pressures coming from the business environment (Kapital uber alles) and only second, third from their own population. But honestly, I'm not so sure about Germany bailing out yet again the bankrupt South.
And while Germany has an alternative to EU (yes they do), they.....or others - don't.
Well given particularly Germany's original, well, ambitions that led to the EU, I'm not sure they'll have much choice. Unless of course they turn away from that ambition, which I guess could indeed happen.

It appears though that Italy has just turned down 39bn from the ESM. That's, uhm, clever?!
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 14.04.2020, 11:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 791
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 864 Times in 446 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
On the one hand, I of course want him gone as far and as quickly as possible, for all I care they can send him to the moon on a one-way ticket. A part of me wants to see him get a second term to try to clean up this goddamn mess, even though the flipside of that is that there's a real chance that this will turn into an authoritarian-inspired even bigger mess of unprecedented scale
That part of you is really worrying, because it is a sentiment that one hears often. Support the old style republican party if you want to, but Trump supporters are dangerous mix who all think they can use him to achieve their own ends. I think they are kidding themselves. Trump has American blood on his hands, spilt within the USA. Not since the civil war has the USA been so divided. I grew up watching the Vietnam protests, Martin Luther King, civil right marches, Watergate........these are nothing to the problems facing the USA today. A hopelessly inefficient health system tied too tightly to middle-class employment. An ever deepening divide between the haves and the have-nots etc.etc Trump will do nothing to address these problems.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank KiwiSteve for this useful post:
  #259  
Old 14.04.2020, 11:32
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
An ever deepening divide between the haves and the have-nots etc.etc Trump will do nothing to address these problems.
No need to be worried.

The Americans can fix this for themselves in November.
There are no amount of excuses in the world (vote rigging, fake news, the voting system, voter suppression, etc, etc) if they vote Trump in again, except that the American people want him in.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #260  
Old 14.04.2020, 11:52
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,332
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corona - The aftermath

Quote:
View Post
That part of you is really worrying, because it is a sentiment that one hears often. Support the old style republican party if you want to, but Trump supporters are dangerous mix who all think they can use him to achieve their own ends. I think they are kidding themselves. Trump has American blood on his hands, spilt within the USA. Not since the civil war has the USA been so divided. I grew up watching the Vietnam protests, Martin Luther King, civil right marches, Watergate........these are nothing to the problems facing the USA today. A hopelessly inefficient health system tied too tightly to middle-class employment. An ever deepening divide between the haves and the have-nots etc.etc Trump will do nothing to address these problems.
Oh I'm completely aware and I don't want him to get a second term. He shouldn't even have gotten a first one, ever.

Given this mess is the first one he had to face that wasn't one of his own doing, one can only hope even the last idiotic supporter will see the insane level of incompetence he displays, not to mention his dictator-adjacent rhetoric. If he did get a second term, it would indeed unravel. Then a Democrat would need to clean up the even bigger mess. And that would lead to even more beautiful conflict in an already deeply divided country.

The timing isn't too bad, 4 years is enough for a Democrat to clean up this crap. I feel bad though for whoever has to inherit this (well Biden I guess), which is why I said a part of me wants to see the orange man try to clean it up - though again of course he won't be able to, so the consequences would be even worse. Crappy all around no matter what.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EF Community Corona Helpline lost_inbroad Daily life 122 27.02.2022 21:33
SNB Pegs CHF to the EUR!!! [and the aftermath of the removal of the cap] Guest Swiss politics/news 1368 07.09.2017 09:13
Vietnam war and aftermath yacek International affairs/politics 46 09.05.2015 05:59
Aftermath of SNB EUR Peg Discontinuation - Would you be happy to take a 20% pay cut? The_Love_Doctor Finance/banking/taxation 57 21.01.2015 10:59
Colleague got sacked - Swiss aftermath. ElggDK Employment 83 26.07.2013 17:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0