English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   Corona - The aftermath (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/297448-corona-aftermath.html)

Castro 29.03.2020 15:01

Corona - The aftermath
 
Hear me out :) I am starting this new thread to explore the sociological, psychological and economic impact of all this once its over.

I don't think life will ever be the same again and perhaps we can take some valuable lessons from it. Being forced to make a full stop to our hectic lives and think about the fragility of civilisation is not a bad thing, we take so much for granted but nothing is guaranteed. You just have to look at the panic buying in the first week to see the primeval fear that was triggered in us all, in the words of Lenin Every society is three meals away from chaos.

Anyway, once we are allowed out of isolation and normality resumes this could be a giant reset button that makes us re-evaluate our lives and some of the crap of the last 5 years e.g. Trump, populism, Brexit, Woke culture, twitter storms, vacuous social media, erosion of privacy etc.. and the fact that none of it makes us happy.

Usually these types of awakenings happen after personal loss but here its happening on a much larger scale e.g. some people may choose/be forced to quit the rat race and do something that truly makes them happy.

Guest 29.03.2020 15:04

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
YES all of it. Thanks.

TonyClifton 29.03.2020 15:16

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Funny, I was just thinking of starting a discussion on this topic :)

I think you're right, this will turn out to be the be biggest sociopolitical and economic event of our lifetimes. So what will change? Off the top of my head:

Working from home - After weeks of people proving they are quite capable of working from, and with the technology and IT tools available, I think many business will start to question why they spend so much money on office space when it's not needed.

Business travel - People will not be flying half way around the world for a 3 hour meeting anymore. Businesses will not be willing to pay for this when business can be conducted over a Skype call.

Globalism - could it be over?

Economy - a perfect storm of the coronavirus, economic crisis and oil price will have some unimaginable consequences. You can hear the printing presses whirring as governments around the world print more money to deal with the current crisis. This can't possibly go on, I expect inflation followed by perhaps a debt reset at some point.

China - The world is going to be a lot more skeptical of China.

EU - Closer integration as they use the exploit the lack of a coordinated as a reason for more centralised power. Or perhaps it will all be over for the same reason as well as being unable to sort out the Euro crisis which will happen soon.

Climate Change - I expect people will have a lot less time for the doom mongers after this.

roegner 29.03.2020 15:20

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Working from home? If my company insists that we all work 50% in the office, he is free to fire me so I can keep my health and will not infect others. Lessons learned: FTYP

Hubby: absence makes the heart grow fonder they say. Despite missing him tremendously, I will in future value more the time we can spend together.

Modern technology: I for one am immensely grateful for being able to skype, facetime, whatever and stay in safe contact with friends and family.

k_and_e 29.03.2020 15:23

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3164761)
Business travel - People will not be flying half way around the world for a 3 hour meeting anymore. Businesses will not be willing to pay for this when business can be conducted over a Skype call.

I was thinking about that too. It saves lots of time, money and is good for the environment. Hope this will be the final push to that.

V__ 29.03.2020 15:25

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Who wants to bet all of this will be forgotten by Christmas?

Castro 29.03.2020 15:31

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3164769)
Who wants to bet all of this will be forgotten by Christmas?

Depends what odds you're offering :rolleyes:

Guest 29.03.2020 15:35

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3164769)
Who wants to bet all of this will be forgotten by Christmas?

I'm not a gambling man, but even I would take you up on that. In the best possible scenario I could imagine, we'll be slowly getting back to normality by that time, but the effects will last for years.

Your constant "It's not as bad as they're making out" attitude has a certain amount of logic to it (however small) but there's optimism and then there's downright blind ignorance, and this seems to be getting perilously close to the latter.

slammer 29.03.2020 15:35

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
My two Cents, we will have a few weeks with the warm fuzzy feeling of grace singing Kum ba yah. Then it will be business as usual.
The Americans will continue annoying everybody, China will still be the cheap tat capital, Iran will still be there, Saudi will still be locked in a oil war with Russia. Money will still rule the world, the rich will get richer the poor will stay poor, the middle class may take the equivalent of a economic nuke and go to the "poor" camp. Global warming is still a fact, degradation of the biosphere will still be escalating.
People will still want big screen TVs, they will still want entertainment over security, above all they do not want to have to think for themselves.
There is simply too much inertia for things to change.

Susie-Q 29.03.2020 15:45

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
I had hope for a positive change, but then I saw Trumps approval rating is at an all time high. Ive given hope that the world can become a better place.

slammer 29.03.2020 15:59

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
I also think that we are seeing conformation of the tragedy of the commons.... Must buy all the bog paper before anybody else takes it.

lost_inbroad 29.03.2020 16:02

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Business as usual, not sure what OP is trying to imply. Once everything settles and we're allowed to freely roam the premises, wifi works and Punkt12 reports on the excess stock of TP, Corona will slowly be forgotten. Currently, we have to isolate and yet we lack of nothing at all. There are millions of people around the world who lived like this pre-corona days. Despite the many tragic deaths we as a global society incurred, the millions of people who have fallen ill, we are nothing but fly manure in the world's timeline. This being said, dance while you can, sing your song, move on with life then time is scarce.

swissotter 29.03.2020 16:02

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Good thread castro but as to aftermath... we are in the beginning stages still I'm afraid. Someone posted the below quote to me two months ago (when we had our first cases here) I read it and dismissed it as an overreaction ...but now after two months...well...


"First part of being a hero is staying alive. The cemetery is chock full of heroes, your first priority is staying alive. This virus has now integrated itself within humanity and now we will have to deal with it. While there are those who recognize just how serious this is, they are drowned out by fools and their enablers. Right now use what time you have to prep yourself and those who will listen and hunker for a bit. When things settle (hopefully) you can help those less prepared"

Sky 29.03.2020 16:03

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer (Post 3164774)
My two Cents, we will have a few weeks with the warm fuzzy feeling of grace singing Kum ba yah. Then it will be business as usual.
The Americans will continue annoying everybody, China will still be the cheap tat capital, Iran will still be there, Saudi will still be locked in a oil war with Russia. Money will still rule the world, the rich will get richer the poor will stay poor, the middle class may take the equivalent of a economic nuke and go to the "poor" camp. Global warming is still a fact, degradation of the biosphere will still be escalating.
People will still want big screen TVs, they will still want entertainment over security, above all they do not want to have to think for themselves.
There is simply too much inertia for things to change.

Or.... it will force us to change our ways forever.
The almost 3 years of Spanish flu actually played an important part in ending WW1 and it played an important part in shaping the world until 1920.

Perhaps it will get us to a point where it will force us to align with those of past generations. They were never foolish enough to believe in entitlement.

robBob 29.03.2020 16:06

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3164761)
Funny, I was just thinking of starting a discussion on this topic :)

I think you're right, this will turn out to be the be biggest sociopolitical and economic event of our lifetimes.


Till now the biggest event of my lifetime was when Armstrong stepped on the moon.

This here will be soon fast be forgotten.

Like battles in the Middle East. When the last shell has fallen the market springs back to life.

ennui 29.03.2020 16:08

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_inbroad (Post 3164786)
Business as usual, not sure what OP is trying to imply. Once everything settles and we're allowed to freely roam the premises, wifi works and Punkt12 reports on the excess stock of TP, Corona will slowly be forgotten. Currently, we have to isolate and yet we lack of nothing at all. There are millions of people around the world who lived like this pre-corona days. Despite the many tragic deaths we as a global society incurred, the millions of people who have fallen ill, we are nothing but fly manure in the world's timeline. This being said, dance while you can, sing your song, move on with life then time is scarce.

Possibly, although it will depend on the seasonality of covid-19, whether there are effective treatments, immunity and/or a vaccine.

And also the balance of haves and have-nots. We can live pretty much as we always have, with few changes - what will happen in less prosperous societies?

I don't know, I haven't really thought this through.

lost_inbroad 29.03.2020 16:11

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ennui (Post 3164792)
Possibly, although it will depend on the seasonality of covid-19, whether there are effective treatments, immunity and/or a vaccine.

And also the balance of haves and have-nots. We can live pretty much as we always have, with few changes - what will happen in less prosperous societies?

I don't know, I haven't really thought this through.

Well, think it through and get back to us with feasible solutions. We need answers.

As we witnessed, it doesn't really make a difference between the haves and the have-nots. Corona is colorblind and not motivated by money. The only preventative measure are discipline and hygiene.

curley 29.03.2020 16:30

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

I'm not a gambling man, but even I would take you up on that. In the best possible scenario I could imagine, we'll be slowly getting back to normality by that time, but the effects will last for years.

Your constant "It's not as bad as they're making out" attitude has a certain amount of logic to it (however small) but there's optimism and then there's downright blind ignorance, and this seems to be getting perilously close to the latter.
I didn't take V_'s post as coming from the attitude described (and obviously despised) by you but - and I agree - as it won't cause deep changes (just as Slammer described further down).
On the contrary, there might be a lot of catching up done and make it worse.

As I keep repeating, our predicament is still so outrageously luxurious.
Does anybody ever think of the Southamerican - and others - favelas? Will anybody count the people starving and freezing at the moment (due to corona stopping from anything that would help them to at least survive)? One doesn't even need to go that far. I have seen some very, very poor people living in London. I wonder how they survive just now?

Some people might realize that they don't need half the stuff and "activity" to be happy and content. A few people will change their lives and attitudes. Too few is my guess.

NotAllThere 29.03.2020 16:42

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 3164788)
Or.... it will force us to change our ways forever.
The almost 3 years of Spanish flu actually played an important part in ending WW1 and it played an important part in shaping the world until 1920...

And then was largely forgotten for decades.

pilatus1 29.03.2020 16:42

Re: Corona - The aftermath
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_inbroad (Post 3164793)
Well, think it through and get back to us with feasible solutions. We need answers.

As we witnessed, it doesn't really make a difference between the haves and the have-nots. Corona is colorblind and not motivated by money. The only preventative measure are discipline and hygiene.

The economic side effects of the pandemic make an enormous difference to the have-nots, likely worse for many than the virus itself.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0