Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1081  
Old Yesterday, 13:53
Full Circle's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 248
Groaned at 163 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 785 Times in 386 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
Deescalate as much as possible --> apprehend --> arrest. Defend yourself and others according to the threat, using the available tools and strategies learned. Thats, imho, their job in those situations.
Right, but when a violent criminal resists arrest and puts a police officer's life in potential danger then they have escalated the situation and they often get shot - as is the case for many BLM 'victims'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Full Circle for this useful post:
  #1082  
Old Yesterday, 14:04
Elu Elu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 394
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 302 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
Right, but when a violent criminal resists arrest and puts a police officer's life in potential danger then they have escalated the situation and they often get shot - as is the case for many BLM 'victims'.
I agree, but here comes the importan point:

The process you describe above of resisting arrest, posing a mortal threat and ultimately gettin shot is independent from the criminal record.

I agree that officer should take criminal records into account for their risk assesment, but, apart from that it mustn't be used to legitimate shooting someone.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #1083  
Old Yesterday, 15:29
Full Circle's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 248
Groaned at 163 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 785 Times in 386 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
I agree, but here comes the importan point:

The process you describe above of resisting arrest, posing a mortal threat and ultimately gettin shot is independent from the criminal record.

I agree that officer should take criminal records into account for their risk assesment, but, apart from that it mustn't be used to legitimate shooting someone.
I never meant to imply otherwise.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Full Circle for this useful post:
  #1084  
Old Yesterday, 16:40
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,738
Groaned at 224 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 22,377 Times in 9,509 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
I never meant to imply otherwise.
Yes.

Of course in virtually any country of the world, there will be a different procedure for reminding granny about bringing back that library book, and stopping a person with a known criminal record and history of violence. In virtually any country of the world, the latter procedure will be considerably more heavy handed than the former and thus by consequence the risk of somebody getting hurt or even killed will be greater. This does not mean that the police set out to shoot or kill, but this may just happen as a situation escalates. It is dictated by the circumstances. Any person who chooses to go down the path of becoming a crook knows this will increase the risk of unpleasant encounters with the police. This is not at all the same as saying that all crooks should be shot on sight.

This should be bleedingly obvious. Only people with cynical and malicious intent would seek to deny or confuse it for political gain.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1085  
Old Today, 10:51
Elu Elu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 394
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 302 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
I never meant to imply otherwise.
I am really glad to read that.
There were some posts of you which led me to infer otherwise. I'll post them if you like, otherwise we can let it go.

Quote:
View Post
Yes.

Of course in virtually any country of the world, there will be a different procedure for reminding granny about bringing back that library book, and stopping a person with a known criminal record and history of violence. In virtually any country of the world, the latter procedure will be considerably more heavy handed than the former and thus by consequence the risk of somebody getting hurt or even killed will be greater. This does not mean that the police set out to shoot or kill, but this may just happen as a situation escalates. It is dictated by the circumstances. Any person who chooses to go down the path of becoming a crook knows this will increase the risk of unpleasant encounters with the police. This is not at all the same as saying that all crooks should be shot on sight.
Completely agree. We could discuss however, how many crooks really made the conscious decision to go down that path.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #1086  
Old Today, 11:21
Full Circle's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 248
Groaned at 163 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 785 Times in 386 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
I am really glad to read that.
There were some posts of you which led me to infer otherwise. I'll post them if you like, otherwise we can let it go.
Please do, I'll be happy to explain if I can.

If it helps, I am happy to reiterate what I meant:

- Most BLM victims are violent criminals

- Violent criminals are the only people who are being systematically killed (ie by design) by the police.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Full Circle for this useful post:
  #1087  
Old Today, 12:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,953
Groaned at 143 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 3,565 Times in 1,770 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
Please do, I'll be happy to explain if I can.

If it helps, I am happy to reiterate what I meant:

- Most BLM victims are violent criminals

- Violent criminals are the only people who are being systematically killed (ie by design) by the police.
Neither of those statements are factually correct.

Please provide some proof ...
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old Today, 13:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,921
Groaned at 320 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 10,232 Times in 5,398 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
View Post
Deescalate as much as possible --> apprehend --> arrest. Defend yourself and others according to the threat, using the available tools and strategies learned. Thats, imho, their job in those situations.
Quote:
View Post
I agree, but here comes the importan point:

The process you describe above of resisting arrest, posing a mortal threat and ultimately gettin shot is independent from the criminal record.

I agree that officer should take criminal records into account for their risk assesment, but, apart from that it mustn't be used to legitimate shooting someone.
The problem with your reasoning is that you're arguing from what appears to be a western European approach where de-escalation is the primary means, and only after that failed (where possible in the first place) is minimal necessary force allowed.

However this is about the US. De-escalation is trained as a one rather unimportant option, if at all, and plausible belief (as opposed to proof) gives reason to use lethal force even where the suspect poses no immediate danger or threat. The concept of "minimal force necessary" is an entirely alien thought.

You could argue that a change of doctrine is needed, and I'd agree (perhaps even FC would?), but that's neither here nor there in a discussion (between FC and you) that's about the present and recent past. You can't really blame police for the legal framework they operate in, nor for acting it out - in fact it's exactly the opposite, *not* acting it out would by definition be outside of the legal framework and therefore grounds for legal prosecution and blame.

The problem with a change of doctrine though is the societal context - the US are much more violent than western Europe, and with a gun available to about one in three grownups I'm not sure such change is even implementable without placing LEO's in harm's way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monkey Town (no racial slur) Harrie Nak Family matters/health 35 23.08.2019 16:15
Racial Profiling sommerindian Other/general 28 11.11.2015 15:38
Mixed racial marriages cannut International affairs/politics 84 05.12.2011 12:25
Criminal law provisions against racial discrimination Aryans Other/general 6 08.06.2011 08:42
Racial frustrations canadian.in.zurich Complaints corner 118 26.05.2008 22:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0