Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 29.06.2020, 17:29
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,634
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,579 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
I'm watching amused in my own sphere of interest: "The new language for SPI pin labeling recommends the use of SDO/SDI (Serial Data Out/In) for single-role hardware, and COPI/CIPO for “Controller Out, Peripheral In” and “Controller In, Peripheral Out” for devices that can be either the controller or the peripheral. The change also updates the “SS” (Slave Select) pin to use “CS” (Chip Select)."

I'm too old and tired now. The Phil_MCR of years ago would have trolled them by complaining that "Controller out" is too dominating and should be replaced by "Suggester provider " and "Perpheral in" is too denigrating and passive and should be replaced with "Highly-valued input accepter".
I just read that three times and still can't manage to make any sense of it.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 29.06.2020, 17:56
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,242
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,319 Times in 7,860 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
I just read that three times and still can't manage to make any sense of it.
That's due to lack of domain knowledge.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 29.06.2020, 17:58
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,242
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,319 Times in 7,860 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
Wow, this sort of utterly one sided analysis
Which part of "an alternative view" do you fail to understand. Of course it's one sided.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 29.06.2020, 18:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,921
Groaned at 465 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 11,835 Times in 6,162 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
So who is it exactly that gets to determine what is and isn't racist? Who has that ultimate right? White people?
As much as black, yellow, red, blue or green people.

The fact that you deny a group of people an ability based on an immutable characteristic is on the same level as someone claiming that, for instance, black people are less intelligent. You have posted multiple classifications of the same kind, demonstrating your own racism.

You really couldn't make this stuff up.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 29.06.2020, 18:40
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,634
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,579 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
As much as black, yellow, red, blue or green people.

The fact that you deny a group of people an ability based on an immutable characteristic is on the same level as someone claiming that, for instance, black people are less intelligent. You have posted multiple classifications of the same kind, demonstrating your own racism.

You really couldn't make this stuff up.
Please show me some some examples of where I have (quote) "posted multiple classifications of the same kind, demonstrating [my] own racism." And then please explain how, exactly, what I posted is racist.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 29.06.2020, 18:42
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,634
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,579 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
That's due to lack of domain knowledge.
Or a case of input overload.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 29.06.2020, 19:13
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,576
Groaned at 2,351 Times in 1,710 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
Did a survey online from a dutch newspaper investigating racism in NL. One of the questions was, if there are only two empty seats on the bus, who would you sit next to:

A) white person
B) black person
C) dont know
Whichever was closet to the exit.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 29.06.2020, 19:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,921
Groaned at 465 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 11,835 Times in 6,162 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
Please show me some some examples of where I have (quote) "posted multiple classifications of the same kind, demonstrating [my] own racism." And then please explain how, exactly, what I posted is racist.
You deny ability, or exclude, based on skin color. Or assume that POV's are caused by the poster's skin. That's basically the definition racism - yours. And no, I won't quote more than I already did, feel free to scroll up.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 29.06.2020, 19:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,921
Groaned at 465 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 11,835 Times in 6,162 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
I don’t buy this, you see, no ones speech has been removed, in fact, the trouble is, you see, that people are actually speaking back to people who never thought people should ever question the things they say, this they equate to anti free speech, because they’re used to the opposite, they’re used to saying sexist and racist things and people should just nod or laugh politely, but should just keep quiet and not point it out
That's not what the clip is about.

It's about destroying careers, about canceling public persons, because someone dares to voice an opinion that doesn't exactly match the liberal narrative. The effect is, obviously, that of removing freedom of speech - not by the state(*) but by society - because people will think twice and prefer to not say anything going forward. Reportedly some people even go so far as to remove terms like "Asian recipes" from their blog or site.

It boils down to the same issue as MeTwo: Both have jumped the shark.
By doing so they undermine what used to be a justified cause. Consequentially they're doing themselves and their cause more harm than any outsider or counter-argument ever could.



(*) of course, legally speaking, the state is the only legal person freedom of speech affects, plus the citizens. But that's no longer how it's interpreted, it goes much further and even is expected to include private for-profit companies nowadays
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 29.06.2020, 20:22
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,634
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,579 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
You deny ability, or exclude, based on skin color. Or assume that POV's are caused by the poster's skin. That's basically the definition racism - yours. And no, I won't quote more than I already did, feel free to scroll up.
Again, I asked you to show me some examples. You said that I have "posted multiple classifications of the same kind, demonstrating [my] own racism." And now you are saying that I "deny ability, or exclude, based on skin color. Or assume that POV's are caused by the poster's skin."

So again, please show me some examples. And if you don't, I can only assume that it's because you don't have any to show.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 29.06.2020, 21:11
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,585
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,716 Times in 10,442 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
Did a survey online from a dutch newspaper investigating racism in NL. One of the questions was, if there are only two empty seats on the bus, who would you sit next to:

A) white person
B) black person
C) dont know

To me a question like this tells me more about the level of racism from the person making up the questionaire...
Coming to think about it, seeing the white person and the black person are not sitting next to one another, they must both be racists by today's standards. Why then should I chose to sit next to a racist of any colour?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 29.06.2020, 21:21
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,634
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,579 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
Coming to think about it, seeing the white person and the black person are not sitting next to one another, they must both be racists by today's standards. Why then should I chose to sit next to a racist of any colour?
Or maybe they had simply each chosen to sit next to an empty seat while there were some available?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 29.06.2020, 21:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,277
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,956 Times in 6,607 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

What do the woke people think about chess? After all, white starts
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 29.06.2020, 22:42
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,634
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,579 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
What do the woke people think about chess? After all, white starts
Apparently, that wasn't always the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_and_Black_in_chess

When I play chess, I don't care who (or what color) goes first. I also don't view chess pieces as being symbolic of race.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 29.06.2020, 22:48
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,242
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,319 Times in 7,860 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
If having a statue of a racist slave owner in place is more important to you than black people being offended by it,
A white person can also be offended by a statue honouring a man who made money out of the Africa->US slave trade. But that's not the kind of offence I think you mean. I think you mean an emotional, visceral hurt. I can understand that and sympathise. Yeah - get rid of the statue. His kind were vilified way back. Before Twitter was invented. What idiot decided to put it up in the first place?

The question is why does the black person feel that hurt? My guess is that if there weren't such ongoing, egregious examples of maltreatment of black people in the US, which has been going on for so long, it wouldn't matter. It would be ancient history. The statue reminds that things are still really not where they should be.

And that is what needs to be addressed. I can't help feeling that felling statues, while perhaps a good way of achieving some anger release and personal satisfaction, is really just putting a plaster over the main issue of ongoing discrimination in many places due to skin colour. (And other things, but one step at a time). Could it be, if we remove the statues first, we're just removing the reminders, and actually making reform more difficult?
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 29.06.2020, 23:29
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,283
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,182 Times in 3,480 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
What do the woke people think about chess? After all, white starts
This is already an issue for some, along with Kellog´s Choco Pops.

By the way, on a school bus at the time of Jim Crow.
The children are calling each other racist names and running up and down the bus, this goes on for a while until the bus driver has had enough and stops the bus.
He turns round and shouts: "You are all GREEN!" The children are quiet in awe at this new revelation...
"Right, now all sit down...
...the Light green to the front and the dark green to the back!"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 30.06.2020, 00:40
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,585
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,716 Times in 10,442 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
A white person can also be offended by a statue honouring a man who made money out of the Africa->US slave trade. But that's not the kind of offence I think you mean. I think you mean an emotional, visceral hurt. I can understand that and sympathise. Yeah - get rid of the statue. His kind were vilified way back. Before Twitter was invented. What idiot decided to put it up in the first place?

The question is why does the black person feel that hurt? My guess is that if there weren't such ongoing, egregious examples of maltreatment of black people in the US, which has been going on for so long, it wouldn't matter. It would be ancient history. The statue reminds that things are still really not where they should be.

And that is what needs to be addressed. I can't help feeling that felling statues, while perhaps a good way of achieving some anger release and personal satisfaction, is really just putting a plaster over the main issue of ongoing discrimination in many places due to skin colour. (And other things, but one step at a time). Could it be, if we remove the statues first, we're just removing the reminders, and actually making reform more difficult?
Good point.

There is a statue of Zwingli in the middle of Zurich. Zwingli fought Catholics and said a good many unpleasant things about them and killed a good many. As a nominal catholic I should feel terribly offended by his statue, but actually I don't care. I don't think any Catholic in Zürich cares.

So if you fix the underlying issues, people will stop being offended by statues.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 30.06.2020, 08:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 738
Groaned at 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 806 Times in 414 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
That's not what the clip is about.

It's about destroying careers, about canceling public persons, because someone dares to voice an opinion that doesn't exactly match the liberal narrative. The effect is, obviously, that of removing freedom of speech - not by the state(*) but by society - because people will think twice and prefer to not say anything going forward. Reportedly some people even go so far as to remove terms like "Asian recipes" from their blog or site.

It boils down to the same issue as MeTwo: Both have jumped the shark.
By doing so they undermine what used to be a justified cause. Consequentially they're doing themselves and their cause more harm than any outsider or counter-argument ever could.



(*) of course, legally speaking, the state is the only legal person freedom of speech affects, plus the citizens. But that's no longer how it's interpreted, it goes much further and even is expected to include private for-profit companies nowadays
I used to enjoy being politically incorrect. Then Jeremy Clarkson came along.
Maybe political incorrectness can used to camouflage inherently fascist, racist, sexist, ageist, whatever beliefs. If you have those beliefs then you have to take the consequences.
It is still possible to retain a sense of both humour and balance, speak ones mind and at the same time just avoid unnecessary triggers.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 30.06.2020, 20:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,921
Groaned at 465 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 11,835 Times in 6,162 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
I used to enjoy being politically incorrect. Then Jeremy Clarkson came along.
Maybe political incorrectness can used to camouflage inherently fascist, racist, sexist, ageist, whatever beliefs. If you have those beliefs then you have to take the consequences.
Do you really think Clarkson's sacking is comparable to Long-Bailey's?
And are you saying that her linking an article that criticizes Israel in passing constitutes anti-semitism?
Quote:
View Post
It is still possible to retain a sense of both humour and balance, speak ones mind and at the same time just avoid unnecessary triggers.
Define "unnecessary".

In a crowd of 100 people you will get many differing, often contradicting, definitions. To complicate things further, of course they are likely to depend both on the topic and on the person's POV on it.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 30.06.2020, 20:14
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,242
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,319 Times in 7,860 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jonathan Pie on "Woke Utopia"

Quote:
View Post
Define "unnecessary".
Possibly along these lines


"What I consider is unnecessary, is unnecessary."
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IKEA recalls "Lock" & "Hyby" glass domed ceiling lamp shades Sbrinz Housing in general 7 02.05.2020 17:11
Charging companies for "Aufwand" or an "administration charge" - as a private person? JoshT Finance/banking/taxation 0 08.04.2020 17:21
"Department of Public Instruction", "HARMOS" what role do they have in education? Aoi Family matters/health 7 30.06.2012 06:51
Should I continue my "college"(elite high school) Or pursue an "apprentissage" Julian_ignacio Employment 39 20.04.2010 15:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0