Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Who will win the US election?
Trump/Pence 11 52.38%
Biden/Harris 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2501  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:08
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,553
Groaned at 67 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,054 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Trump is a narcissist but I personally don't class him as a racist. Well not more than an average old white American. Throwing labels is very fashionable these days, specially from the hysterical left

Lot of clarity from Douglas Murray's 2 day old interview.




Quote:
View Post
Attachment 140604

Record Number Of Bombs Dropped On Afghanistan In 2019
https://www.statista.com/chart/16079...r-afghanistan/
Number of bombs dropped on Afghanistan alone does not equal how many conflict zones USA was stirring the pot in globally.
The following 6 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #2502  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:14
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,985 Times in 10,539 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone seen this weird press conference with Rudy Giuliani that was held at "Four Seasons Total Landscaping"?

And this is Trump's legal A team? LMAO
It is like a comedy show.

Trump will have to mount actions in five different states in the hope of changing the result in three of them.

So far the actions of his lawyers have involved just hundreds of votes and have yet to achieve success whereas he needs to change thousands and the clock is ticking against him.

His legal actions are centred around allegations rather than clear proofs of illegal actions which do not cut the ice with judges.
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2503  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,462
Groaned at 299 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 19,487 Times in 6,783 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
please explain what you mean by saying that "Trumpism" is "fascism"? You mean like Hitler?
I think Trump is an opportunist and looking mainly at his own benefits. That's very different from facism.
The following 5 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #2504  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:16
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,895
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,051 Times in 3,796 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Name:  fascist quote - henry wallace.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  FDR.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  totalitarianism quote.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  34.1 KB
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #2505  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:22
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,985 Times in 10,539 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Trump is a narcissist but I personally don't class him as a racist. Well not more than an average old white American. Throwing labels is very fashionable these days, specially from the hysterical left

Lot of clarity from Douglas Murray's 2 day old interview.

Number of bombs dropped on Afghanistan alone does not equal how many conflict zones USA was stirring the pot in globally.
How many conflict zones did Trump add? US soldiers killed in parts of Africa like Nigeria and Kenya in Trump's time.

"hysterical left?" Hysterically cheering Biden
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2506  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:32
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
..... Anyone want to bet that the crowd at the inauguration will be bigger than Trump’s?
Depending on the corona situation there should be nobody there but a perfect tv-coverage with a news-camera positioned every two meters.
And it's Biden who should tell the folks to stay home and watch it on tv.

Quote:
View Post
You are kidding.

Tom
She must be. The thing that always intrigued me was the American way of segmenting the population into "Latinos, blacks, Jews, white woman ......" I've not noticed that anywhere. And it seems totally accepted by everyone in the US from left to right, specially during elections. I was glad to hear that in the Douglas Murray interview this was the first thing he pointed out.

Has anyone noticed the black people amongst the Trump demonstrators after the result came out? Shouldn't that convince the last one of the fact that opinions are not built by how one looks in the mirror in the morning?

If they are allowed to vote in the US they are Americans. Full stop.
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #2507  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,027
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,077 Times in 8,056 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
The Republicans lost the presidential race but made huge strides in other areas. US freedoms will continue to be chipped away. Illegal abortions anyone?
First round next week:

On 10 November SCOTUS is scheduled to hear oral arguments in California v Texas and Texas v Calliformia, (two cases that have been condensed). At issue is whether the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that (almost) every American obtain health insurance is constitutional.

If SCOTUS rules that the mandate is unconsititional then the rest of the ACA might fall... including pre-existing condition protections. That will affect millions of Americans, young and old, and likely even more than currently estimated because we don't yet know what COVID means to pre-existing condition definitions.

Previous attempt to derail the ACA via SCOTUS failed by a 5-4 vote, normally conservative Roberts as the swing vote. We now face a 6-3 split...
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #2508  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:38
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
dolce e moderata
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,272
Groaned at 62 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 6,929 Times in 2,593 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Trump is a narcissist but I personally don't class him as a racist. Well not more than an average old white American. Throwing labels is very fashionable these days, specially from the hysterical left .
Even if Trump is not racist himself, it was his duty to shut down racism when it reared its ugly head so much more loudly.
The following 10 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #2509  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:43
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,895
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,051 Times in 3,796 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
First round next week:

On 10 November SCOTUS is scheduled to hear oral arguments in California v Texas and Texas v Calliformia, (two cases that have been condensed). At issue is whether the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that (almost) every American obtain health insurance is constitutional.

If SCOTUS rules that the mandate is unconsititional then the rest of the ACA might fall... including pre-existing condition protections. That will affect millions of Americans, young and old, and likely even more than currently estimated because we don't yet know what COVID means to pre-existing condition definitions.

Previous attempt to derail the ACA via SCOTUS failed by a 5-4 vote, normally conservative Roberts as the swing vote. We now face a 6-3 split...
Only a complete psychopath would feel that all Americans (including families with children) shouldn't have access to affordable healthcare and/or threaten to take that away from them... and particularly during a pandemic.

And this is so representational of one of the biggest problems in government... Just a complete lack of empathy and compassion and basic human decency.
The following 4 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #2510  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:46
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
dolce e moderata
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,272
Groaned at 62 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 6,929 Times in 2,593 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Depending on the corona situation there should be nobody there but a perfect tv-coverage with a news-camera positioned every two meters.
And it's Biden who should tell the folks to stay home and watch it on tv.


She must be. The thing that always intrigued me was the American way of segmenting the population into "Latinos, blacks, Jews, white woman ......" I've not noticed that anywhere. And it seems totally accepted by everyone in the US from left to right, specially during elections. I was glad to hear that in the Douglas Murray interview this was the first thing he pointed out.

Has anyone noticed the black people amongst the Trump demonstrators after the result came out? Shouldn't that convince the last one of the fact that opinions are not built by how one looks in the mirror in the morning?

If they are allowed to vote in the US they are Americans. Full stop.
Why would the American way of segmenting the population intrigue you?
The mindset and use of vocabulary is simply based on history when segregation was a reality.
You are absolutely correct in your last line, and hopefully with time, that will be the new mindset and norm.

Last edited by Sky; 08.11.2020 at 11:57.
The following 2 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #2511  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:50
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 2,213
Groaned at 113 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,216 Times in 1,637 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
First round next week:

On 10 November SCOTUS is scheduled to hear oral arguments in California v Texas and Texas v Calliformia, (two cases that have been condensed). At issue is whether the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that (almost) every American obtain health insurance is constitutional.

If SCOTUS rules that the mandate is unconsititional then the rest of the ACA might fall... including pre-existing condition protections. That will affect millions of Americans, young and old, and likely even more than currently estimated because we don't yet know what COVID means to pre-existing condition definitions.

Previous attempt to derail the ACA via SCOTUS failed by a 5-4 vote, normally conservative Roberts as the swing vote. We now face a 6-3 split...
Imagine a court case against mandatory Grundversicherung here in CH. People would rightly say you are insane.
The following 2 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #2512  
Old 08.11.2020, 11:52
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,553
Groaned at 67 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,054 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Can someone fact check this guy?

  #2513  
Old 08.11.2020, 12:04
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,553
Groaned at 67 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,054 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Even if Trump is not racist himself, it was his duty to shut down racism when it reared its ugly head so much more loudly.

Yes he should have. USA is a race minefield anyway, Trump or no Trump.
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #2514  
Old 08.11.2020, 12:08
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,895
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,051 Times in 3,796 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Biden was just elected President. And that is fact. This is a new dawn for America, and this is a time for hope and healing and positive change. I'm not going to let Trump supporters or people who think Trump is a good President try to dim the light about that, in this forum or elsewhere, or waste what should be a day of happiness and celebration arguing in circles with them.

I wish everyone a peaceful Sunday.
The following 8 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #2515  
Old 08.11.2020, 12:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,828
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,839 Times in 8,090 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Biden was just elected President. And that is fact. This is a new dawn for America, and this is a time for hope and healing and positive change. I'm not going to let Trump supporters or people who think Trump is a good President try to dim the light about that, in this forum or elsewhere, or waste what should be a day of happiness and celebration arguing in circles with them.

I wish everyone a peaceful Sunday.
Might wish to revisit the thread after 10th of January 2021.

And maybe not even then.

Have a happy Sunday, I was thinking yesterday about your post about jumping in a puddle out of pure joy.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #2516  
Old 08.11.2020, 12:35
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,523
Groaned at 218 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 7,452 Times in 3,295 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
And this is so representational of one of the biggest problems in government... Just a complete lack of empathy and compassion and basic human decency.

I used to think that, but now I think it's what the voters wanted. American voters are self centered in the extreme, so long as they are not impacted by something it does not matter. Church is for Sundays and charity is something to do to make you feel good.


If US voters wanted healthcare fixed, it would have been done along time ago. The fact that they have not made an issue out of it, says it all.
The following 4 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #2517  
Old 08.11.2020, 12:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,828
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,839 Times in 8,090 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
i wish some brave newspaper editor would publish this headline:

putin loses election
:d
  #2518  
Old 08.11.2020, 12:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 504
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,454 Times in 513 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Why would the American way of segmenting the population intrigue you?
The mindset and use of vocabulary is simply based on history when segregation was a reality.
You are absolutely correct in your last line, and hopefully with time, that will be the new mindset and norm.

I think it's difficult to understand when coming from a Swiss perspective - they haven't experienced segregation /racism so it doesn't happen. There was a thread on here ages ago about perceived/real racism in a Fastnacht parade (I think) and of course those weird little cakes with the dodgy name.

Quote:
View Post
Biden was just elected President. And that is fact. This is a new dawn for America, and this is a time for hope and healing and positive change. I'm not going to let Trump supporters or people who think Trump is a good President try to dim the light about that, in this forum or elsewhere, or waste what should be a day of happiness and celebration arguing in circles with them.

I wish everyone a peaceful Sunday.

This. You too.
The following 4 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #2519  
Old 08.11.2020, 13:02
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
I think it's difficult to understand when coming from a Swiss perspective - they haven't experienced segregation /racism so it doesn't happen. There was a thread on here ages ago about perceived/real racism in a Fastnacht parade (I think) and of course those weird little cakes with the dodgy name.
Strange thing to write. My post very clearly expressed how racism in the US is a daily normality - Biden or Trump.

Actually, I tried to remember hearing things like "the black voters will ..." and similar things from England. I don't. But I might be wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Why would the American way of segmenting the population intrigue you?
The mindset and use of vocabulary is simply based on history when segregation was a reality.
You are absolutely correct in your last line, and hopefully with time, that will be the new mindset and norm.
Aha. How much more time?
Guess the white American has all the time of the world to just wait for it.
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #2520  
Old 08.11.2020, 13:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,337
Groaned at 300 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 7,290 Times in 3,423 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post

If US voters wanted healthcare fixed, it would have been done along time ago. The fact that they have not made an issue out of it, says it all.
Most Americans do want a National Care Plan. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2020-po...ws-poll-finds/

So there appears to be a disconnect between the average voters and their representatives. Campaign funding perhaps being the real driver here?
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How will Trump Presidency End? Jim2007 International affairs/politics 61 23.08.2021 22:43
New: Trump Jokes Ardneham Jokes/funnies 15 29.01.2021 13:59
Will Trump get reelected robBob International affairs/politics 129 02.03.2020 21:15
The New Trump Tax Cuts ToothCentral International affairs/politics 11 05.04.2017 22:14
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 11:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0