Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Who will win the US election?
Trump/Pence 11 52.38%
Biden/Harris 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2621  
Old 09.11.2020, 15:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,500
Groaned at 971 Times in 686 Posts
Thanked 17,488 Times in 6,852 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
You know Chuff, his Tweets whether we like it or not, do have an impact on the fragile political situation in the US right now and some would consider them worthy of discussion, including various new sources.

If you think it's lame, don't follow them, nobody cares about your opinion.
Psychology 101; you clearly do care about my opinion, otherwise you wouldn't be responding to me repeatedly and so defensively.
Reply With Quote
  #2622  
Old 09.11.2020, 16:14
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 793
Groaned at 263 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 1,745 Times in 865 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately Trump will still have a lot of influence (if he wants it) over the Republican Party - who are far from dead and buried with 50-52 senate seats and a good chance at flipping the house in 2022.
Whilst the Trump haters can enjoy this moment, the reality of the situation also shouldn't be lost. Donald Trump actually increased his support from 4 years ago, and the final result just shows that the nation is more divided now than ever.

Without the Democrats winning the Senate, gridlock could set in. There will be no chance of packing the Supreme Court. NeverTrump Republicans and Democrats will soon remember that they don't actually like each other. Fiscal conservative Republicans will more than likely mean a smaller stimulus package. This could have a profound impact on the world economy recovering from Covid.

The Republicans made gains in the House, one would think that two years of poor economic performance will see them take it in 2022. 70 million Trump supporters waiting in the wings ready to go up against presidential candidate who tells you what her preferred pronouns are... the next 4 years are going to be fun
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #2623  
Old 09.11.2020, 16:49
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Used to be Basel.
Posts: 1,115
Groaned at 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 2,482 Times in 922 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
In scenes reminiscent of a bunker in Berlin where the leader was convinced they were winning against insurmountable odds. Aides humoured his fevered imaginations whilst simultaneously preparing to save their own skins.
not far off!

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/11/05...downfall-meme/
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #2624  
Old 09.11.2020, 16:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,600
Groaned at 401 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 17,139 Times in 9,234 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Despite multiple claims by Spanky that electing Biden would crash stock markets it was different in the real world.

Markets skyrocketed Monday morning, breaking records

The Dow Jones Industrial Average shot up over 1,500 points, or 5.5 percent, hovering at 29,887, well above its pre-pandemic peak of 29,569.

The S&P 500 jumped 129 points, or 3.7 percent, reaching 3,636, well beyond its September record of 3,587.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2625  
Old 09.11.2020, 16:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,500
Groaned at 971 Times in 686 Posts
Thanked 17,488 Times in 6,852 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Whilst the Trump haters can enjoy this moment, the reality of the situation also shouldn't be lost. Donald Trump actually increased his support from 4 years ago, and the final result just shows that the nation is more divided now than ever.

Without the Democrats winning the Senate, gridlock could set in. There will be no chance of packing the Supreme Court. NeverTrump Republicans and Democrats will soon remember that they don't actually like each other. Fiscal conservative Republicans will more than likely mean a smaller stimulus package. This could have a profound impact on the world economy recovering from Covid.

The Republicans made gains in the House, one would think that two years of poor economic performance will see them take it in 2022. 70 million Trump supporters waiting in the wings ready to go up against presidential candidate who tells you what her preferred pronouns are... the next 4 years are going to be fun
If the next 4 years are good under the democrats, opinions can and will change and attitudes will soften. Trump purposefully whipped a disgruntled portion of society into a frenzy and you can't sustain anger and outrage indefinitely, it damages the mental health and if people have the chance to relax then they will. improved quality of life and meeting of basic needs, it it happens under Biden, will work towards mitigating that.

Plus, you can be sure that many political strategists are now looking at how and why Trump even got into power and taking steps to address those root causes. The USA can't afford another Trump presidency.

Last edited by Chuff; 09.11.2020 at 17:23.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #2626  
Old 09.11.2020, 16:56
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,339
Groaned at 108 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 15,771 Times in 5,052 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

LOL I must have watched a hundred of these bloody things.. everything from Brexit to the new iPhone
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #2627  
Old 09.11.2020, 17:18
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,853
Groaned at 181 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 7,326 Times in 2,866 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately Trump will still have a lot of influence (if he wants it) over the Republican Party - who are far from dead and buried with 50-52 senate seats and a good chance at flipping the house in 2022.
You're probably right. At the same time, though, I won't be surprised if the GOP turns on him. It's pretty clear that at least half of the US hates Trump and that Trump has pushed some people (perhaps many) to the left. I would think that the GOP would prefer a candidate in 2024 who has a better chance of winning. Trump did, after all, just lose re-election. I think they would be stupid to put him up for yet another (potential) loss.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #2628  
Old 09.11.2020, 17:21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 409
Groaned at 17 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 518 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Despite multiple claims by Spanky that electing Biden would crash stock markets it was different in the real world.

Markets skyrocketed Monday morning, breaking records

The Dow Jones Industrial Average shot up over 1,500 points, or 5.5 percent, hovering at 29,887, well above its pre-pandemic peak of 29,569.

The S&P 500 jumped 129 points, or 3.7 percent, reaching 3,636, well beyond its September record of 3,587.
I think the markets welcome some calmer leadership - sometime in the future.
Republican Senate suggests that corporate taxes will not rise.
And the news about the potential vaccine is hopeful.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #2629  
Old 09.11.2020, 18:05
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 609
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,039 Times in 410 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

You don't seriously think the stock markets today are about Biden?

This is the Dow Future chart of today. Have a guess when the vaccine news came out.

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #2630  
Old 09.11.2020, 18:43
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,600
Groaned at 401 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 17,139 Times in 9,234 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
You don't seriously think the stock markets today are about Biden?

This is the Dow Future chart of today. Have a guess when the vaccine news came out.

Please show us where the Trump predicted market crash after Biden's election is on this picture?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2631  
Old 09.11.2020, 18:46
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 609
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,039 Times in 410 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Please show us where the Trump predicted market crash after Biden's election is on this picture?
Look, I am not here to defend idiotic statements. But to pretend that the boom today came from the election results is just not factual.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #2632  
Old 09.11.2020, 18:50
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,600
Groaned at 401 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 17,139 Times in 9,234 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Whilst the Trump haters can enjoy this moment, the reality of the situation also shouldn't be lost. Donald Trump actually increased his support from 4 years ago, and the final result just shows that the nation is more divided now than ever.

Without the Democrats winning the Senate, gridlock could set in. There will be no chance of packing the Supreme Court. NeverTrump Republicans and Democrats will soon remember that they don't actually like each other. Fiscal conservative Republicans will more than likely mean a smaller stimulus package. This could have a profound impact on the world economy recovering from Covid.

The Republicans made gains in the House, one would think that two years of poor economic performance will see them take it in 2022. 70 million Trump supporters waiting in the wings ready to go up against presidential candidate who tells you what her preferred pronouns are... the next 4 years are going to be fun
Biden is doing a very effective job of managing the transition.

"Fiscal conservative Republicans!"

When President Trump took office in January 2017, the national debt stood at $19.9 trillion. In October 2020, the national debt reached a new high of $27 trillion.
That's an increase of almost 36% in less than four years.

That is an increase of $7 trillion in four years, Obama and the high spending Democrats only managed an increase of $9 trillion in 8 years.
Reply With Quote
  #2633  
Old 09.11.2020, 18:54
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 528
Groaned at 25 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 882 Times in 353 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Biden is doing a very effective job of managing the transition.

"Fiscal conservative Republicans!"

When President Trump took office in January 2017, the national debt stood at $19.9 trillion. In October 2020, the national debt reached a new high of $27 trillion.
That's an increase of almost 36% in less than four years.

That is an increase of $7 trillion in four years, Obama and the high spending Democrats only managed an increase of $9 trillion in 8 years.
Corona?
Reply With Quote
  #2634  
Old 09.11.2020, 18:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,600
Groaned at 401 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 17,139 Times in 9,234 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Look, I am not here to defend idiotic statements. But to pretend that the boom today came from the election results is just not factual.
Who claimed the boom today came from the election results?

I simply stated, "Despite multiple claims by Spanky that electing Biden would crash stock markets it was different in the real world."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2635  
Old 09.11.2020, 19:03
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 936
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,500 Times in 618 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Whilst the Trump haters can enjoy this moment, the reality of the situation also shouldn't be lost. Donald Trump actually increased his support from 4 years ago, and the final result just shows that the nation is more divided now than ever.
Couldn't agree more. Whether one likes it or not, there are 70 million people who thought that either the last 4 years were good for them, or think that another 4 years of a Trump presidency are preferable to a more liberal agenda. The question to ask is how you break down these 70 million people into their main constituent demographics/psychographics, e.g.:
- How many are traditional conservatives worried about administrative overreach, government size, regulation/deregulation, etc
- How many are conservative religious individuals (incl. evangelicals), worried about the increasingly secularization of social life (e.g. liberal-driven separation of state and church, prohibition of religion instruction in public schools, etc)
- How many are just voting R out of tradition/habit, and aren't very interested in politics to hold strong opinions
- How many are just racists/white supremacists, etc.
- Any other major group I may have missed

I have the theory that MANY Americans just are flat-out ignorant of the basic difference between the current center and the center-left, the Democratic platform, and what "socialism" or "communism" actually is.


Edit: this is an interesting starting point for this discussion from the Financial Times:

__________________
HEAVEN IS A BATHTUB WITH BOOKS THAT DON'T GET WET
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #2636  
Old 09.11.2020, 19:07
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,600
Groaned at 401 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 17,139 Times in 9,234 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Corona?
Thank you, with a lime, please.

In the real world, debt was already up over $3 trillion at the end of 2019 before the virus. And yes Trump made a pig's ear of managing the pandemic.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2637  
Old 09.11.2020, 19:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,367
Groaned at 156 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 4,235 Times in 2,066 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
And yes Trump made a pig's ear of managing the pandemic.
Are you sure of this? I believe there is a plethora of pigs who would protest any presumption that this might be possible.

Just don’t get P’ed off with my prediction.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #2638  
Old 09.11.2020, 19:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 409
Groaned at 17 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 518 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
Look, I am not here to defend idiotic statements. But to pretend that the boom today came from the election results is just not factual.
I did mention the vaccine results. Since I’d just heard it, I didn‘t feel like overstating. If you thought that was idiotic, that‘s your issue.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #2639  
Old 09.11.2020, 20:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Murten
Posts: 496
Groaned at 74 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 568 Times in 280 Posts
JackieH has an excellent reputationJackieH has an excellent reputationJackieH has an excellent reputationJackieH has an excellent reputation
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Ah well, Jonathan Pie has got the measure of him


https://youtu.be/y0YTM8iO4_s
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #2640  
Old 09.11.2020, 20:11
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 609
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,039 Times in 410 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trump or Biden .Who you got?

Quote:
View Post
I did mention the vaccine results. Since I’d just heard it, I didn‘t feel like overstating. If you thought that was idiotic, that‘s your issue.
"Idiotic" referred to the Trump statement that markets would crash. Didn't mean to offend you at all.

Marton made it sound like the market reaction and the Biden election were related. Implied, not literally.

Anyhow, good news for wallet and health.

Last edited by komsomolez; 09.11.2020 at 21:07.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Elu
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Trump get reelected robBob International affairs/politics 129 02.03.2020 22:15
New: Trump Jokes Ardneham Jokes/funnies 12 03.02.2020 09:06
How will Trump Presidency End? Jim2007 International affairs/politics 52 19.11.2018 12:50
The New Trump Tax Cuts ToothCentral International affairs/politics 11 05.04.2017 23:14
Will Trump be the next US President? Phil_MCR International affairs/politics 2618 14.11.2016 12:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0