Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 12.01.2021, 15:57
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,871
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,700 Times in 9,633 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
I guess it's dependent on how AirBNB are getting their info. If it's from legal channels, then lots of places will have access. No issue.
How is a legal channel going to detect how you have voted?

Maybe they can trawl your facebook profile for any comments, or maybe they can pay the likes of Cambridge Analytica to use an algorithm to do it for them.

Last time somebody did that, it didn't go down very well.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #222  
Old 12.01.2021, 16:22
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,755
Groaned at 21 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,079 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Seems it is also linked to airbnb hosts themselves wanting to protect themselves and prevent any potential safety issues to their neighbourhoods. makes sense as many probably hosted protestors and made that mistake during last week's riots.

Mayor Bowser requests more resources, and residents ask each other not to rent their homes.
"D.C. residents are also readying for the return of extremists. The hashtag #DontRentDC is trending on Twitter, as residents ask short-term rental hosts to keep their properties vacant this weekend through the end of inaugural activities. Richard Bianco, a D.C. attorney who primarily represents small landlords, is among those advising local hosts against booking.

“Don’t make a decision that is high risk, low reward,” says Bianco. “You’re potentially exchanging getting a couple of hundred bucks for your Airbnb over the course of a few days during the inauguration. And you’re potentially putting your neighbors at risk, your neighborhood at risk, by renting to people who intend to do harm.”
#DontRentDC is common sense, protecting your neighborhood and business.

But imagine an airline refusing to let people board because there will be a championship game and fans will riot and damage the city after their team wins the game. It might have a moral base, but how can you tell a rioter from a non-violent citizen? What data do they need to make the right guess? Bad data means bad guesses, good data means......thanks for GDPR.

I know GDPR theoretically does not apply to CH, but lots of business already apply it because our customers on the EU. No sense in having two systems in the company.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #223  
Old 12.01.2021, 16:38
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,166
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,293 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
#DontRentDC is common sense, protecting your neighborhood and business.

But imagine an airline refusing to let people board because there will be a championship game and fans will riot and damage the city after their team wins the game. It might have a moral base, but how can you tell a rioter from a non-violent citizen? What data do they need to make the right guess? Bad data means bad guesses, good data means......thanks for GDPR.

I know GDPR theoretically does not apply to CH, but lots of business already apply it because our customers on the EU. No sense in having two systems in the company.
I think the urgency and priority are for the upcoming inauguration and the safety factors involved. And keeping DC citizens safe. I can see your argument when it comes to GDPR.
I don't know how we would separate potential football hooligans... I would assume known hooligans are probably on some noflylists too?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank swissotter for this useful post:
  #224  
Old 12.01.2021, 16:53
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 181
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 210 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
How is a legal channel going to detect how you have voted?

Maybe they can trawl your facebook profile for any comments, or maybe they can pay the likes of Cambridge Analytica to use an algorithm to do it for them.

Last time somebody did that, it didn't go down very well.

Dunno. I assume there is some way of identifying these folk? Tbh a good whack of them self IDd on TV /social media or turned themselves in. There's your list right there.

Not sure how we got from a private co changing its Ts and Cs to "It's a conspiracy ". Tin foil hat time I guess.



Quote:
View Post
#DontRentDC is common sense, protecting your neighborhood and business.

But imagine an airline refusing to let people board because there will be a championship game and fans will riot and damage the city after their team wins the game. It might have a moral base, but how can you tell a rioter from a non-violent citizen? What data do they need to make the right guess? Bad data means bad guesses, good data means......thanks for GDPR.

I know GDPR theoretically does not apply to CH, but lots of business already apply it because our customers on the EU. No sense in having two systems in the company.

There are already some sports fans banned from flying/travelling to games. Same deal I suppose. They did something wrong, have the potential to do it again, so are removed from the equation. Their actions have consequences.


Quote:
View Post
I think the urgency and priority are for the upcoming inauguration and the safety factors involved. And keeping DC citizens safe. I can see your argument when it comes to GDPR.
I don't know how we would separate potential football hooligans... I would assume known hooligans are probably on some noflylists too?
Yep. Kid in my first form got a 10 year international game ban and had to hand his passport in to local police station after he went on the pitch and thumped a goalie. On camera.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #225  
Old 12.01.2021, 17:04
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 778
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

If interested, he interviews Tulsi Gabbard -

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #226  
Old 12.01.2021, 17:16
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,879
Groaned at 109 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 5,159 Times in 2,007 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Maybe it pure co-incidence..

But I never watch anything political on youtube..No news channels, no conspiracy, no tin foil hat stuff.. I simply have no interest in it other that playing devils advocate here

I only use youtube to watch techie stuff, product reviews, old thrash metal videos, unix stuff etc.. things like that.

Last few days my suggestions from youtube are mostly MSNBC. CBS, CNN .. Tons of stuff about trump exposed..trump failure, trump supporters exposed.. trump embarrassment..

What gives.. Is this tinfoil hat stuff? Youtube is encouraging me to be educated?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 12.01.2021, 19:17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 181
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 210 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it pure co-incidence..

But I never watch anything political on youtube..No news channels, no conspiracy, no tin foil hat stuff.. I simply have no interest in it other that playing devils advocate here

I only use youtube to watch techie stuff, product reviews, old thrash metal videos, unix stuff etc.. things like that.

Last few days my suggestions from youtube are mostly MSNBC. CBS, CNN .. Tons of stuff about trump exposed..trump failure, trump supporters exposed.. trump embarrassment..

What gives.. Is this tinfoil hat stuff? Youtube is encouraging me to be educated?
Nah, John. Tinfoil hat stuff is believing Trump is leading the charge for the Second Coming and all those folk storming Capitol Hill were carrying puppies and kittens and intending to hang stars and rainbows in the Senate hall. But what do I know...

YouTube is half great stuff and half supremely dodgy content. Much like EF, it depends on your personal standpoint as to which half is which.

Last edited by RufusB; 12.01.2021 at 19:29.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #228  
Old 12.01.2021, 19:45
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,213
Groaned at 227 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 8,553 Times in 3,240 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

It's hypocritical for any Trump supporters to complain about "cancel culture." They've been trying to cancel Joe Biden and the results of an election.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
This user groans at Pancakes for this post:
  #229  
Old 12.01.2021, 21:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,154
Groaned at 385 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 10,588 Times in 5,589 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
I would generally say any private company has the right to operate as it likes, along with the responsibility to live with the consequences.

That's how it should be.
To each their own, but I prefer to not see a functioning and fully equipped tank in my mad neighbor's garden, or a missile launcher mounted on his truck.
Quote:
View Post
But then there was that court ruling about a wedding cake for a gay couple.
That ruling was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2018 (7-2, Kavanaugh hadn't been appointed yet).

ETA:
The New York Times called that 7-2 ruling a "narrow decision". Go figure.

Last edited by Urs Max; 12.01.2021 at 21:56.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 13.01.2021, 09:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,784
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 7,305 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Here we go, this is why Facebook and Twitter's share price has tanked. They're now going to find out that actions have consequences. I wonder if they'll enjoy the regulatory red tape that's heading their way?

‘No longer acceptable’ for platforms to take key decisions alone, EU Commission says

https://www.euractiv.com/section/dig...mmission-says/
Does this mean EU will have a better image among certain EF members from now on?...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #231  
Old 13.01.2021, 09:29
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 352 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,052 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Does this mean EU will have a better image among certain EF members from now on?...
I was always a reluctant Brexiteer, however it's still a vote that I don't regret. Not everything the EU does is "BAD" however on balance I think it's better to go forward without being a member. That's the problem with this forum, and general discourse at the moment, the center ground just doesn't exist. Everyone has to be on one side or the other!

Anyway, to return to the point, I didn't post that link in praise of the EU. Just showing an example of how the decisions of Big Tech over the past week will have serious ramifications for them going forward. Other countries will also now take a firmer line on how they are regulated. I think it's highly ironic that a country like Germany, which has far more restrictive free speech laws than most western democracies, have raised their concerns over the actions of Big Tech.

Another example, in Uganda they've blocked Twitter and Facebook, after Big Tech closed some accounts there related to the upcoming election. The response from Twitter (see below) is hilarious in its lack of self-awareness. This after they suspended the New York Post's Twitter account in the run up to the US election!

Big Tech should remember, whilst they can control accounts which can be switched off, governments control the internet, which can also be switched off. A race to the bottom is the only outcome here.

https://twitter.com/Policy/status/1349059275461685250
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #232  
Old 13.01.2021, 09:34
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 778
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
That's the problem with this forum, and general discourse at the moment, the center ground just doesn't exist. Everyone has to be on one side or the other!
This x 100000!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #233  
Old 13.01.2021, 10:12
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,177
Groaned at 492 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 21,852 Times in 8,895 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
I was always a reluctant Brexiteer, however it's still a vote that I don't regret. Not everything the EU does is "BAD" however on balance I think it's better to go forward without being a member. That's the problem with this forum, and general discourse at the moment, the center ground just doesn't exist. Everyone has to be on one side or the other!
You're writing about the Brexit vote - I don't believe there were more than two options. It was Yes or No. There wasn't a half-in, half out option.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 13.01.2021, 10:14
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,177
Groaned at 492 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 21,852 Times in 8,895 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post

Big Tech should remember, whilst they can control accounts which can be switched off, governments control the internet, which can also be switched off. A race to the bottom is the only outcome here.
Have you no idea that the internet is used for so much more than social media?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #235  
Old 13.01.2021, 10:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,679
Groaned at 2,103 Times in 1,570 Posts
Thanked 35,451 Times in 16,820 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Does this mean EU will have a better image among certain EF members from now on?...
Certainly not!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 13.01.2021, 10:26
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 778
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
I don't believe there were more than two options. It was Yes or No. There wasn't a half-in, half out option.

Not voting?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #237  
Old 13.01.2021, 10:53
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,551
Groaned at 121 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 6,175 Times in 3,455 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

DT won’t have YT account either ...

YouTube suspends Donald Trump's channel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55643774

Can he survive if all media will turn away from him?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #238  
Old 13.01.2021, 12:12
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 930
Groaned at 352 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,052 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
DT won’t have YT account either ...

YouTube suspends Donald Trump's channel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55643774

Can he survive if all media will turn away from him?
Donald Trump is finished anyway and has been for a month or so. He'll be 78 by 2024 so there's almost zero chance he would run in that election. This is why all this talk of the 25th amendment and impeachment are just theatre.

Trumpism and its followers however isn't finished and the more social media and tech tries to silence them the greater the devotion to the cause will become.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 13.01.2021, 12:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,784
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 7,305 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Have you no idea that the internet is used for so much more than social media?
Apparently some use the internet only for social media so this idea comes as a surprise for them.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 13.01.2021, 12:34
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,871
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,700 Times in 9,633 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Apparently some use the internet only for social media so this idea comes as a surprise for them.
The Chinese seem to have no problem shutting down certain bits of the Internet while keeping others fully open.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancel Swiss flight or wait for them to cancel? ormesome Transportation/driving 135 21.09.2020 15:50
Cancel car importation AdrienBe Transportation/driving 0 06.03.2017 12:46
Liability Insurance - how to cancel? ju_zimmermann Insurance 2 10.03.2014 16:05
Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever? scribble International affairs/politics 134 07.02.2011 20:30
Cancel Swisscom subscription Duncheg TV/internet/telephone 1 09.09.2010 22:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0