Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #261  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:15
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,188 Times in 903 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Genuinely I am confused You mean female uterus, right? Why is it mad to say the obvious?
Transsexual rights has issues with the statement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #262  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:27
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Transsexual rights has issues with the statement.
Ok got it, so if a female with a uterus identifies/feels like a male then because she still has uterus, saying "only female have uterus" offends them. Did I understand correct?
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:43
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,259
Groaned at 27 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,391 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Ok got it, so if a female with a uterus identifies/feels like a male then because she still has uterus, saying "only female have uterus" offends them. Did I understand correct?
You know, there are limits. Police in Quebec said you cannot self-identify as a dog to evade the covid19 curfew https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7ap...him-for-a-walk
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #264  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:44
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,188 Times in 903 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Ok got it, so if a female with a uterus identifies/feels like a male then because she still has uterus, saying "only female have uterus" offends them. Did I understand correct?
I'm not up to date with the exact definitions, but I think it's for People identifying as women being told "only women have uteruses", the whole sex vs gender argument.
I think this is what got JK Rowling or Graham Linehan into hot water. One of them has said they've been cancelled, but he went on a bit of a crusade.

Not the rabbit hole I want to venture into.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #265  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:58
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 9,042
Groaned at 366 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,376 Times in 6,654 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Ok got it, so if a female with a uterus identifies/feels like a male then because she still has uterus, saying "only female have uterus" offends them. Did I understand correct?
Something like that, but probably more the inverse, that a M2F TS won't loike being told "you're not really female because you don't have a uterus".

Personally I doubt that many genuine TSs would be that much offended by a simple general statement, but clearly it could be used in an insulting/derogatory fashion, and I think some of the reaction by "rights activists" is based on the idea that if something can be insulting it must always be insulting, so let's avoid it altogether.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #266  
Old 14.01.2021, 13:11
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,086
Groaned at 438 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,234 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Parler is pretty much an alt-right echo sewer, much like Reddit. They also have pretty stringent rules and regs and chuck folk off when it suits. Mostly for saying mad stuff like only women have uteruseses. Private companies.

Who are the Big Tech giants?

I'm still waiting on what the Dems did to try and cancel Trumo post 2016. Unless collectively worrying that a dangerous narcissist had just been elected to the office with the big red button counts?
Big Tech giants are Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Google and Apple. It is not their job, nor should it be their right to judge whether Parler is "an alt-right echo sewer". There is laws and a judiciary for that.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 14.01.2021, 13:30
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 9,042
Groaned at 366 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,376 Times in 6,654 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Big Tech giants are Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Google and Apple. It is not their job, nor should it be their right to judge whether Parler is "an alt-right echo sewer". There is laws and a judiciary for that.
It's their right to do whatever they damn well want. Is there any law to support the idea that they should give equal space to all apps, regardless of political views thereof? No, there isn't.

And in any case, the reasons given were that the app was being used to organise unlawful activities, which isn't quite the same thing.

They also react to possible legal repercussions, of course. If there were an armed rebellion and it could be shown that they knew the platform was being used to organise it but did nothing, wouldn't they potentially be open to charges of aiding and abetting? Even if not legally culpable, I would definitely see it as their job to crack down on any illegal activity they're aware of, if not even to actively look for it.

Just like they do for drug dealing or child pornography. Do you think they shouldn't be allowed to deny access to these as well?
__________________
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com

Last edited by Ace1; 14.01.2021 at 13:50. Reason: typo, illegal not legal
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #268  
Old 14.01.2021, 13:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 327
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 374 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Genuinely I am confused You mean female uterus, right? Why is it mad to say the obvious?

Exactly. It offends ths self ID lot.


Quote:
View Post
Transsexual rights has issues with the statement.
Only a certain faction who are mostly dysphoric /have AGP.

Quote:
View Post
Ok got it, so if a female with a uterus identifies/feels like a male then because she still has uterus, saying "only female have uterus" offends them. Did I understand correct?
They also say there are more than two sexes. Is a very odd offshoot.

Quote:
View Post
I'm not up to date with the exact definitions, but I think it's for People identifying as women being told "only women have uteruses", the whole sex vs gender argument.
I think this is what got JK Rowling or Graham Linehan into hot water. One of them has said they've been cancelled, but he went on a bit of a crusade.

Not the rabbit hole I want to venture into.
This. Mostly it's folk who think being a woman is a feeling. Indeed. Not a fun rabbit hole.



Quote:
View Post
Something like that, but probably more the inverse, that a M2F TS won't loike being told "you're not really female because you don't have a uterus".

Personally I doubt that many genuine TSs would be that much offended by a simple general statement, but clearly it could be used in an insulting/derogatory fashion, and I think some of the reaction by "rights activists" is based on the idea that if something can be insulting it must always be insulting, so let's avoid it altogether.

This. It's mostly a very noisy, very keen to be offended group who are mostly fetishing "being female".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #269  
Old 14.01.2021, 14:10
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,086
Groaned at 438 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,234 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
It's their right to do whatever they damn well want. Is there any law to support the idea that they should give equal space to all apps, regardless of political views thereof? No, there isn't.

And in any case, the reasons given were that the app was being used to organise unlawful activities, which isn't quite the same thing.

They also react to possible legal repercussions, of course. If there were an armed rebellion and it could be shown that they knew the platform was being used to organise it but did nothing, wouldn't they potentially be open to charges of aiding and abetting? Even if not legally culpable, I would definitely see it as their job to crack down on any illegal activity they're aware of, if not even to actively look for it.

Just like they do for drug dealing or child pornography. Do you think they shouldn't be allowed to deny access to these as well?
They can do what they like in removing people from their platform yes, however when it comes to collusion with one another to prevent competitors then it becomes a monopoly. Unfortunately being America, I hold little hope for the issue of censorship to be addressed by antitrust lawsuits. Here however there is far more hope outside the borders of the US

You say that Parler was allegedly being used to organise unlawful activities. How many times over the past decade has Facebook and Twitter been used to organise violent protests and riots? From the London Riots in 2011, right up to and including the attack on the Capitol this year. Where is the repercussions for these platforms?
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 14.01.2021, 14:22
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,752
Groaned at 151 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,705 Times in 1,854 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but how many of us here are using the EF to project an online persona and to collect "followers?" How many people here invest their egos in their EF identities and post selfies for compliments, etc.?
Every last one.

Don't underestimate the power of your ego.

We post selfies of how we want to project our personalities, like it or not.

Can't help but get a dopamine hit from a thank you!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #271  
Old 14.01.2021, 14:29
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 9,042
Groaned at 366 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,376 Times in 6,654 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
They can do what they like in removing people from their platform yes, however when it comes to collusion with one another to prevent competitors then it becomes a monopoly.
It would become a cartel, not a monopoly, if that were the case. But it isn't.

Quote:
View Post
How many times over the past decade has Facebook and Twitter been used to organise violent protests and riots? From the London Riots in 2011, right up to and including the attack on the Capitol this year. Where is the repercussions for these platforms?
I can't see why that would be in any way relevant to decisions now. Just because things have been allowed in the past is in no way a reason to let them remain unchecked. There was (apparently) a time when child pornography was easily exchanged without consequence to the ISPs and platforms being used, but that's hardly a reason to suggest that it shouldn't be cracked down on now, is it?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #272  
Old 14.01.2021, 14:45
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,086
Groaned at 438 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,234 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
It would become a cartel, not a monopoly, if that were the case. But it isn't.

I can't see why that would be in any way relevant to decisions now. Just because things have been allowed in the past is in no way a reason to let them remain unchecked. There was (apparently) a time when child pornography was easily exchanged without consequence to the ISPs and platforms being used, but that's hardly a reason to suggest that it shouldn't be cracked down on now, is it?
Cartel, yes that's the word I was looking for.

The point is that this Big Tech cartel shouldn't be the ones judging a competitor. I don't think child pornography is a reasonable comparison as this is clearly illegal. Speech on the other hand is more of a grey area.

What's also interesting is that US lawsuits have clearly recognised Twitter and Facebook as "public forums". This is why they have blocked attempts to restrict convicted (sex) offenders from accessing social media and the internet as unconstitutional (see Packingham v. North Carolina).

Another lawsuit also prevented President Trump from blocking people on Twitter. Which is ironic as President he wasn't allowed block people on Twitter, however Twitter is allowed to block the President.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 14.01.2021, 14:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 327
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 374 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Big Tech giants are Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Google and Apple. It is not their job, nor should it be their right to judge whether Parler is "an alt-right echo sewer". There is laws and a judiciary for that.
They can do as they wish - they are private companies. Right to refuse etc


Quote:
View Post
It's their right to do whatever they damn well want. Is there any law to support the idea that they should give equal space to all apps, regardless of political views thereof? No, there isn't.

And in any case, the reasons given were that the app was being used to organise unlawful activities, which isn't quite the same thing.

They also react to possible legal repercussions, of course. If there were an armed rebellion and it could be shown that they knew the platform was being used to organise it but did nothing, wouldn't they potentially be open to charges of aiding and abetting? Even if not legally culpable, I would definitely see it as their job to crack down on any illegal activity they're aware of, if not even to actively look for it.

Just like they do for drug dealing or child pornography. Do you think they shouldn't be allowed to deny access to these as well?

Exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 327
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 374 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Cartel, yes that's the word I was looking for.

The point is that this Big Tech cartel shouldn't be the ones judging a competitor. I don't think child pornography is a reasonable comparison as this is clearly illegal. Speech on the other hand is more of a grey area.

What's also interesting is that US lawsuits have clearly recognised Twitter and Facebook as "public forums". This is why they have blocked attempts to restrict convicted (sex) offenders from accessing social media and the internet as unconstitutional (see Packingham v. North Carolina).

Another lawsuit also prevented President Trump from blocking people on Twitter. Which is ironic as President he wasn't allowed block people on Twitter, however Twitter is allowed to block the President.


They aren't judging a competitor. They are refusing to host an app. If Parler etc was a true competitor they wouldn't need other platforms to launch it.


Twitter is a private company.


Try this:

Person A wants to sleep with Person B.

B says no. Doesn't actually need to give a reason because their body, their choice etc but they do: they don't like A's politics. Or shoes. Or haircut. Whatever.

A takes exception and says "that's discriminatory because those things are irrelevant to the fact that i want to sleep with you".

Makes no damn difference. The reasons were provided by B to be polite etc. All they needed to do was say No. Because their body, their choice.

A monopoly decision, if you will, but still final.

End of.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #275  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,595
Groaned at 75 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 11,221 Times in 4,562 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Just because things have been allowed in the past is in no way a reason to let them remain unchecked. There was (apparently) a time when child pornography was easily exchanged without consequence to the ISPs and platforms being used, but that's hardly a reason to suggest that it shouldn't be cracked down on now, is it?
This.

Quote:
View Post
Another lawsuit also prevented President Trump from blocking people on Twitter. Which is ironic as President he wasn't allowed block people on Twitter, however Twitter is allowed to block the President.
Twitter can block anyone, anytime.
A third party outside of Twitter, such as you, me, or Donald Trump, cannot block a Twitter user. After all:

Quote:
View Post
Twitter is a private company.


Try this:

Person A wants to sleep with Person B.

B says no. Doesn't actually need to give a reason because their body, their choice etc but they do: they don't like A's politics. Or shoes. Or haircut. Whatever.

A takes exception and says "that's discriminatory because those things are irrelevant to the fact that i want to sleep with you".

Makes no damn difference. The reasons were provided by B to be polite etc. All they needed to do was say No. Because their body, their choice.

A monopoly decision, if you will, but still final.

End of.
This, exactly.

Seems this is another moment to re-visit Tea and Consent. https://youtu.be/pZwvrxVavnQ
Just because Twitter said yes to tea before, it doesn't mean that they have to say yes to tea, again.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #276  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:21
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,285
Groaned at 46 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 5,478 Times in 2,103 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Parler is a competitor to google, amazon and apple?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #277  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 327
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 374 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Parler is a competitor to google, amazon and apple?
Not even slightly.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #278  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,107
Groaned at 293 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 18,412 Times in 6,441 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
They can do as they wish - they are private companies. Right to refuse etc
Can you provide the legal basis for that?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #279  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: In your head
Posts: 327
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 374 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Can you provide the legal basis for that?
Can you provide the legal basis why that isn't the case?

They are not gov't owned. Therefore private. They may be publicly traded (is that the phrase) but still owned by (groups of) private citizens. FB is such, I think. So can set their own Ts and Cs.


Incidentally, Parler is privately owned. I'll wager folk get kicked off that all the time for certain viewpoints. The earth not being flat, etc.


I'm finding it difficult to understand why folk are getting so out of sorts with this. Unless those folk are all Trump supporters. In which case, get thee to Parler.

Last edited by RufusB; 14.01.2021 at 15:54.
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 14.01.2021, 15:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Argau
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 36 Posts
errepierre is considered knowledgeableerrepierre is considered knowledgeableerrepierre is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cancel Culture

Pretty sure that when you open an account you agree to a number of things, such as sort of rules and policies....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank errepierre for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancel Swiss flight or wait for them to cancel? ormesome Transportation/driving 135 21.09.2020 14:50
Cancel car importation AdrienBe Transportation/driving 0 06.03.2017 11:46
Liability Insurance - how to cancel? ju_zimmermann Insurance 2 10.03.2014 15:05
Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever? scribble International affairs/politics 134 07.02.2011 19:30
Cancel Swisscom subscription Duncheg TV/internet/telephone 1 09.09.2010 21:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0