Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.01.2021, 13:53
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,128
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,353 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

[No, this not another Trump v. Twitter thread. The issues go much beyond that]

There are actually not many places left where you can safely debate this sort of topic without running the risk of being shadow banned or face other sanctions like having your *social credit score reduced.

Big Tech, that is the likes Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft have amply demonstrated that they don't shy away from using censorship, denial of services etc. to influence opinion and events also in the political arena.

These companies have inveigled themselves into this position by their monopolistic practices, systematically destroying competition and now in an incredible position to abuse the monopoly of power which they have accumulated.

Surely this cannot last. It is inevitable that they will face an increasingly hostile regulatory environment which will seek to neutralise this power they have accumulated. (Taxation, Anti Trust fines, mandatory divestment etc.)

China is actually a good example here because the "free world" (yes, that's us!) appears to be closely following where they lead and the monopolistic practices of the big tech giants such as Ant Group Co. are coming under increasingly severe scrutiny.

Don't even imagine these giants are providing all these services (even including free services) for altruistic reasons. They are dumping these services to snuff out the competition or to harvest data in order to increase their power. In other words, they are currently reaping where they have not sown.


*China - not yet practised here.
__________________
If you have difficulties with a post which contains a link to a site in one of the Swiss languages, use Google Translate or your own favourite translating browser.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 10.01.2021, 13:59
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,307
Groaned at 346 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 18,806 Times in 9,793 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Quote:
View Post
Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

[No, this not another Trump v. Twitter thread. The issues go much beyond that]

There are actually not many places left where you can safely debate this sort of topic without running the risk of being shadow banned or face other sanctions like having your *social credit score reduced.

Big Tech, that is the likes Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft have amply demonstrated that they don't shy away from using censorship, denial of services etc. to influence opinion and events also in the political arena.

These companies have inveigled themselves into this position by their monopolistic practices, systematically destroying competition and now in an incredible position to abuse the monopoly of power which they have accumulated.

Surely this cannot last. It is inevitable that they will face an increasingly hostile regulatory environment which will seek to neutralise this power they have accumulated. (Taxation, Anti Trust fines, mandatory divestment etc.)

China is actually a good example here because the "free world" (yes, that's us!) appears to be closely following where they lead and the monopolistic practices of the big tech giants such as Ant Group Co. are coming under increasingly severe scrutiny.

Don't even imagine these giants are providing all these services (even including free services) for altruistic reasons. They are dumping these services to snuff out the competition or to harvest data in order to increase their power. In other words, they are currently reaping where they have not sown.


*China - not yet practised here.
Pst - you advertize Google in your siggy.

Otherwise, I agree.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:16
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,898
Groaned at 109 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 5,195 Times in 2,019 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Way too much power..

But .. People want convenience .. and accept the cost of the loss of their privacy.

We're not all using Threema because, well everybody else is not so we'd be lonely on there by ourselves.

Many facebook clones offering privacy have come and gone.

Until we walk away en masse this is it..
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:17
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,307
Groaned at 346 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 18,806 Times in 9,793 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Quote:
View Post
Way too much power..

But .. People want convenience .. and accept the cost of the loss of their privacy.

We're not all using Threema because, well everybody else is not so we'd be lonely on there by ourselves.

Many facebook clones offering privacy have come and gone.

Until we walk away en masse this is it..
People managed to walk away, decently and civilly, from "communism". I agree with what you wrote.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:17
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,128
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,353 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Quote:
View Post
Pst - you advertize Google in your siggy.
A perfect example of the power that Google has accumulated. They built have that translator from the data they harvest that others have painstakingly collected, scanning newspapers, emails, documents etc. and have successfully destroyed the alternatives like dictionary publishers etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zug
Posts: 98
Groaned at 20 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 49 Posts
rumshot is considered knowledgeablerumshot is considered knowledgeablerumshot is considered knowledgeable
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

No ones forces you to use google, cisco, microsoft and etc... you use it because its convenient for you...



With that being said, the power its you that providing for the techs.



Blame on them its not fair... btw, theis policy and privacies things are very clear to be read.



I use google to search, but my browser is pretty much hardened against cookies and etc.



We start here saying about tech with too much power... then its better to avoid cellphones...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank rumshot for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:36
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,128
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,353 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Quote:
View Post
No ones forces you to use google, cisco, microsoft and etc... you use it because its convenient for you...
That is the nature of a monopoly service. Nobody forces you to take a SBB train from Zürich to Bern, for example. But trying to organise your own would be next to impossible. What protects you from massive exploitation when you buy such a train ticket, though, is the regulatory environment. Exactly that is ineffective in your dealings with Big Tech.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:46
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,307
Groaned at 346 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 18,806 Times in 9,793 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Quote:
View Post
That is the nature of a monopoly service. Nobody forces you to take a SBB train from Zürich to Bern, for example. But trying to organise your own would be next to impossible. What protects you from massive exploitation when you buy such a train ticket, though, is the regulatory environment. Exactly that is ineffective in your dealings with Big Tech.
I think they got protection they did not deserve: publishers. They aren't.

It's like barging in private talks and saying people can only 'vous-voyer'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:20
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,307
Groaned at 346 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 18,806 Times in 9,793 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

Quote:
View Post
A perfect example of the power that Google has accumulated. They built have that translator from the data they harvest that others have painstakingly collected, scanning newspapers, emails, documents etc. and have successfully destroyed the alternatives like dictionary publishers etc.
Well, they also know from ResearchGate papers that get stored on Google search that people tend to retain very little from digital sources compared to really published papers. And that with hard copy of documents, fraud is less possible. Teachers know.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10.01.2021, 14:43
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,334
Groaned at 247 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,368 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have the Big Tech Giants got too much power ?

I think tech companies will continue to have power over people as long as people do not bother to question what kind of power it has over them. I see a LOT of people using Facebook, etc. without ever questioning how it's designed to affect and manipulate them psychologically and program their behavior. And then of course, when you do talk about it, most people just get angry and defensive about it, because they're addicted and don't want to admit they're being manipulated.

Name:  zuckerberg drug dealer.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  76.2 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The beginning of the end for the Social Media Giants? Guest International affairs/politics 54 31.07.2018 11:51
Swiss retail giants call for weaker franc The Local Swiss news via The Local 74 09.01.2012 13:32
NFL watching: New Orleans vs Giants in Geneva? (Nov. 28) Guest Football/sports 4 28.11.2011 18:09
Gentle giants need a home Sparrowgirl General off-topic 3 22.10.2011 17:56
Swiss bank giants torn on franc peg decision The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 12.09.2011 11:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0