Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.04.2021, 09:33
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,290
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,747 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Switzerland is off the hook

It's no longer a naughty country.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...-list-77115419
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 19.04.2021, 11:45
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
A bit late, afaIk the National Bank stopped supporting the Euro quiet a while ago. And I don't think NB was ever really fazed by that list.

I'm surprised to see singled out EU countries:
<<Also on the list with China are Japan, South Korea, Germany, Ireland, Italy, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Mexico. Only Ireland and Mexico were added to the list Friday.>>
The euro is the euro is the euro, no? Why would single countries even try to influence the euro? (Ready to learn).

Italy doesn't do it on purpose, they have a natural desire for what ever currency they use being worthless.
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.04.2021, 13:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,939
Groaned at 76 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,188 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

SNB had been controlling the CHF to stop it becoming too strong for quite some time. Now with the pandemic it seems it doesn't need to interfere.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.04.2021, 13:11
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

The irony is that the US prints money and issues government debt like there's no tomorrow (which of course in such a strongly two-party state there may not be from one side's viewpoint).

The only reason the US isn't a currency manipulator is because the dollar is the de-facto baseline.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 19.04.2021, 13:32
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
SNB had been controlling the CHF to stop it becoming too strong for quite some time. Now with the pandemic it seems it doesn't need to interfere.
The only thing is, SNB stopped it January 2015, looooong before Covid.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.04.2021, 14:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,770
Groaned at 395 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 9,340 Times in 4,383 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
The irony is that the US prints money and issues government debt like there's no tomorrow (which of course in such a strongly two-party state there may not be from one side's viewpoint).

The only reason the US isn't a currency manipulator is because the dollar is the de-facto baseline.
The worst money launderers are in Delaware, Nevada and Wyoming. But as Federal law doesn't apply they get ignored.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 19.04.2021, 22:46
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,408
Groaned at 365 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,613 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
The irony is that the US prints money and issues government debt like there's no tomorrow (which of course in such a strongly two-party state there may not be from one side's viewpoint).

The only reason the US isn't a currency manipulator is because the dollar is the de-facto baseline.
On top of that are the US by now one of the top destinations for tax evasion, offshore accounts and money laundering. They keep on pretending that itís a problem from Caribbean third world countries... not snowy Delaware. If there is one country that should get on the naughty list for white collar crime itís them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.04.2021, 23:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,939
Groaned at 76 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,188 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
The only thing is, SNB stopped it January 2015, looooong before Covid.
Oh no they didn't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 19.04.2021, 23:10
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
On top of that are the US by now one of the top destinations for tax evasion, offshore accounts and money laundering. They keep on pretending that itís a problem from Caribbean third world countries... not snowy Delaware. If there is one country that should get on the naughty list for white collar crime itís them.
Wasn't that the plan all along? To get rid of the competition?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.04.2021, 07:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,434
Groaned at 407 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 17,501 Times in 8,861 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
A bit late, afaIk the National Bank stopped supporting the Euro quiet a while ago. And I don't think NB was ever really fazed by that list.

I'm surprised to see singled out EU countries:
<<Also on the list with China are Japan, South Korea, Germany, Ireland, Italy, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Mexico. Only Ireland and Mexico were added to the list Friday.>>
The euro is the euro is the euro, no? Why would single countries even try to influence the euro? (Ready to learn).

Italy doesn't do it on purpose, they have a natural desire for what ever currency they use being worthless.
OMG they had the nerve to add Germany on that list!

I'm sure it is a mistake....

It can't be, it's naturally impossible I tell ya....I feel so privileged to have some savings in euro, we can all sleep tight!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.04.2021, 11:42
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,290
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,747 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
On top of that are the US by now one of the top destinations for tax evasion, offshore accounts and money laundering. They keep on pretending that itís a problem from Caribbean third world countries... not snowy Delaware. If there is one country that should get on the naughty list for white collar crime itís them.
Delaware is not laundering. It is only a tax shelter!
Please keep in mind that it is also Biden's home.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.04.2021, 12:57
Murloc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 540
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 299 Posts
Murloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputation
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
A bit late, afaIk the National Bank stopped supporting the Euro quiet a while ago. And I don't think NB was ever really fazed by that list.

I'm surprised to see singled out EU countries:
<<Also on the list with China are Japan, South Korea, Germany, Ireland, Italy, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Mexico. Only Ireland and Mexico were added to the list Friday.>>
The euro is the euro is the euro, no? Why would single countries even try to influence the euro? (Ready to learn).

Italy doesn't do it on purpose, they have a natural desire for what ever currency they use being worthless.
the SNB stopped officially supporting a min exchange rate, but they are still taking action in this regard, just without a public objective.
That's what the accusation is about. Anyway i remember reading about some report recently that praised the snb policies and it was a report that is considered serious, that might be the private analysts cited in the article.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.04.2021, 13:01
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,408
Groaned at 365 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,613 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland is off the hook

Quote:
View Post
Delaware is not laundering. It is only a tax shelter!
Please keep in mind that it is also Biden's home.
Delaware is used for shell companies... and the most obvious reason to have a made up shell company is the launder money. Trump ironically signed a law to not allow new anonymous shell companies anymore while half his staffed used them... but the existing ones have years to fix it...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow Hook and Homologation dadn Transportation/driving 4 17.02.2017 17:41
How NOT to hook-up in Switzerland? Phil_MCR Daily life 71 22.11.2012 15:47
How to hook up in Switzerland? MannImBett Daily life 228 05.11.2012 09:51
GGA Maur Inernet Hook-up Help fire1836 TV/internet/telephone 2 15.08.2012 18:38
Electronic expert to hook check my cable hook-up (Basel) ChinaRider TV/internet/telephone 2 26.08.2007 21:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0