Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321  
Old 29.03.2022, 15:20
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,641
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,834 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Absolutely ridiculous. Where is the DOJ?

-----

Jan. 6 White House logs given to House show 7-hour gap in Trump calls

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...te-house-logs/
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #322  
Old 30.03.2022, 21:25
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,888
Groaned at 102 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 21,322 Times in 9,315 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Where is the DOJ?
Stuck between a rock and a hard place. The current Attorney General, Merrick Garland, was Obama's pick for the Supreme Court. He never even got a hearing in the Senate thanks to slimy Mitch McConnell.

I guess Biden thought it would be some sort of just desserts to make Garland AG, which is the highest law enforcement officer in the country. Except now almost anything Garland does that has the name Trump attached looks political. Nevermind that Trump weaponized the Justice Dept for his own purposes.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #323  
Old 31.03.2022, 12:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Stuck between a rock and a hard place. The current Attorney General, Merrick Garland, was Obama's pick for the Supreme Court. He never even got a hearing in the Senate thanks to slimy Mitch McConnell.

I guess Biden thought it would be some sort of just desserts to make Garland AG, which is the highest law enforcement officer in the country. Except now almost anything Garland does that has the name Trump attached looks political. Nevermind that Trump weaponized the Justice Dept for his own purposes.
News today "The Department of Justice has expanded its criminal investigation", took over a year for this news, hopefully, they will now give gas.
Likely the Congress committee looking into this will be shuttered if the GOP wins the elections this year.
DOJ investigation should continue regardless of who holds the Congress majority.

"The Department of Justice has expanded its criminal investigation into the Jan. 6 Capitol attack to look at the financing and planning of a preceding rally attended by former President Donald Trump, people familiar with the matter told The Washington Post.

The rally was held at the Ellipse near the White House, with organizers pushing the false claim that the November 2020 election had been stolen from Trump.
The Post reports that in the past two months, a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., has issued subpoena requests for people who helped plan, fund, and run the rally."
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 06.04.2022, 23:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

"Judge nixes Steve Bannon’s top defense against criminal charges for defying a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee
The ruling said the “advice of counsel” defense was not applicable in contempt of Congress cases.

Stephen Kevin Bannon served as the White House's chief strategist in the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump during the first seven months of Trump's term.

The Justice Department in November charged Bannon with two counts of contempt of Congress for refusing to comply with a subpoena for documents and testimony related to the select committee probe of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters.

Bannon has countered the charges by claiming his decision was based on the advice of veteran defense attorney Robert Costello, who told Bannon that former President Donald Trump had asserted executive privilege, and therefore he had no obligation to respond to the committee’s subpoena.

But U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols ruled on Wednesday that Bannon will be precluded from making that case in front of a jury. He said that the “advice of counsel” defense is not applicable in contempt of Congress cases, citing a 1961 ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals that he says is still binding on lower courts like his."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #325  
Old 07.04.2022, 10:13
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: https://youtu.be/JAJbqL2IMm8
Posts: 4,070
Groaned at 115 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 4,266 Times in 2,239 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Where is the DOJ?

-----

Jan. 6 White House logs given to House show 7-hour gap in Trump calls

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...te-house-logs/
Afternoon nap. What else?
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 07.04.2022, 10:44
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 6,248
Groaned at 410 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,508 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
"Judge nixes Steve Bannon’s top defense against criminal charges for defying a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee
The ruling said the “advice of counsel” defense was not applicable in contempt of Congress cases.

Stephen Kevin Bannon served as the White House's chief strategist in the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump during the first seven months of Trump's term.

The Justice Department in November charged Bannon with two counts of contempt of Congress for refusing to comply with a subpoena for documents and testimony related to the select committee probe of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters.

Bannon has countered the charges by claiming his decision was based on the advice of veteran defense attorney Robert Costello, who told Bannon that former President Donald Trump had asserted executive privilege, and therefore he had no obligation to respond to the committee’s subpoena.

But U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols ruled on Wednesday that Bannon will be precluded from making that case in front of a jury. He said that the “advice of counsel” defense is not applicable in contempt of Congress cases, citing a 1961 ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals that he says is still binding on lower courts like his."
Maybe he needs a lawyer who knows the law rather than one who tells him what he wants to hear.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #327  
Old 09.04.2022, 11:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Justice moves so slowly in the US but mostly gets there.

"One of the Proud Boys leaders charged with conspiracy in connection to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol pleaded guilty on Friday, agreeing to cooperate with federal prosecutors as they prepare to tackle one of the biggest criminal cases stemming from last year’s breach.

Charles Donohoe, a 34-year-old leader of the right-wing group’s North Carolina chapter, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding and one count of assaulting, resisting or impeding a law enforcement officer.

Donohoe was among a group of six Proud Boys leaders, including Enrique Tarrio, the organization’s national leader, charged with conspiracy last month."

The Proud Boys is an American far-right, neo-fascist, and exclusively male organization that promotes and engages in political violence in the United States.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 09.04.2022, 11:52
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,641
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,834 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Justice moves so slowly in the US but mostly gets there
Mostly? Trump, Meadows, Navarro, Hawley, Cruz?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #329  
Old 09.04.2022, 12:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Mostly? Trump, Meadows, Navarro, Hawley, Cruz?
"Patience, young grasshopper" - from a 1970s TV show called "Kung Fu".
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 09.04.2022, 12:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt. Zh
Posts: 12,826
Groaned at 519 Times in 430 Posts
Thanked 20,436 Times in 10,354 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Charles Donohoe, a 34-year-old leader of the right-wing group’s North Carolina chapter, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding and one count of assaulting, resisting or impeding a law enforcement officer.

Donohoe was among a group of six Proud Boys leaders, including Enrique Tarrio, the organization’s national leader, charged with conspiracy last month."

The Proud Boys is an American far-right, neo-fascist, and exclusively male organization that promotes and engages in political violence in the United States.
Enrique Tarrio is black, what the...? I thought they were white supremacists, what exactly was this guy fighting for?
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 09.04.2022, 12:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Enrique Tarrio is black, what the...? I thought they were white supremacists, what exactly was this guy fighting for?
LOL!

According to Wikipedia "Tarrio is Cuban-American and of Afro-Cuban background".

Probably the other members see him through rose-tinted glasses
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #332  
Old 09.04.2022, 12:25
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,641
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,834 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Had to look up who Enrique Tarrio is. Hilarious for a black guy.

"In August 2017, Tarrio attended theUnite the Right rallyin Charlottesville, Virginia. He said he was there to protest theremoval of Confederate monuments and memorials."

All these assholes have no ideology. It is about narcissism, power, money, brute force.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #333  
Old 09.04.2022, 12:46
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rüschlikon
Posts: 101
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 82 Posts
gwsorrells is considered knowledgeablegwsorrells is considered knowledgeablegwsorrells is considered knowledgeable
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
"Patience, young grasshopper" - from a 1970s TV show called "Kung Fu".
I am not sure I buy the patience line. I see it happening this way. Either Trump wins the next presidential election or one of his wannabe's. Then there is a Presidential pardon.

I don't think Trump will ever face any consequences for Jan 6th.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank gwsorrells for this useful post:
  #334  
Old 09.04.2022, 14:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
I am not sure I buy the patience line. I see it happening this way. Either Trump wins the next presidential election or one of his wannabe's. Then there is a Presidential pardon.

I don't think Trump will ever face any consequences for Jan 6th.
There is a slim chance they can hit Trump with the 14th Amendment.
The 14th Amendment of the US Constitution prohibits officeholders from returning to elected positions if they supported an insurrection.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 09.04.2022, 14:48
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,888
Groaned at 102 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 21,322 Times in 9,315 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
There is a slim chance they can hit Trump with the 14th Amendment.
The 14th Amendment of the US Constitution prohibits officeholders from returning to elected positions if they supported an insurrection.
But who is "they"? It's likely the Rs will regain control of the House in November, meaning the Jan 6 committee would cease to exist. Also each party has its own rules regarding nominations and each state has its own ballot access rules.

Interesting article here:
https://www.acslaw.org/expertforum/e...nd-candidates/

snippet:
Quote:
...a concurrent resolution of Congress declaring that Trump is ineligible does not make him ineligible... A concurrent resolution on Section Three would instead be non-binding and subject to judicial review. Only a court judgment can make an individual ineligible under Section Three.
Taking a wild guess that the current 6-3 makeup of the SCOTUS is in Trump's favor on this one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #336  
Old 09.04.2022, 15:19
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
But who is "they"? It's likely the Rs will regain control of the House in November, meaning the Jan 6 committee would cease to exist. Also each party has its own rules regarding nominations and each state has its own ballot access rules.

Interesting article here:
https://www.acslaw.org/expertforum/e...nd-candidates/

snippet:

Taking a wild guess that the current 6-3 makeup of the SCOTUS is in Trump's favor on this one.
Thank for the link, very interesting.

"who are they"? Any group of voters, for example, a federal judge signaled yesterday that she'll likely allow a group of Georgia voters to move forward with their constitutional challenge against GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, which claims she can't run for reelection because she aided the January 6 insurrectionists.

However, I fear you are correct about the SC so as I originally posted "slim chance".
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 09.04.2022, 15:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 11,007
Groaned at 737 Times in 543 Posts
Thanked 15,086 Times in 7,927 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Enrique Tarrio is black, what the...? I thought they were white supremacists, what exactly was this guy fighting for?
Well, maybe they're not white supremacists in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 09.04.2022, 17:47
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,846
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,710 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
Well, maybe they're not white supremacists in the first place.
According to the Wikipedia article, they take an oath "agreeing to not masturbate"; not sure what that makes them? Maybe Monks?
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 09.04.2022, 18:00
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Rüschlikon
Posts: 101
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 82 Posts
gwsorrells is considered knowledgeablegwsorrells is considered knowledgeablegwsorrells is considered knowledgeable
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
There is a slim chance they can hit Trump with the 14th Amendment.
The 14th Amendment of the US Constitution prohibits officeholders from returning to elected positions if they supported an insurrection.
I would say there is ZERO not slim chance on that. The only chance on that happening was the 2nd impeachment trial.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 09.04.2022, 18:04
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,641
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,366 Times in 4,834 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: January 6 US Capitol Insurrection

Quote:
View Post
According to the Wikipedia article, they take an oath "agreeing to not masturbate"; not sure what that makes them? Maybe Monks?
Marton, it is important to show the complete picture. From your link: "The masturbation policy was later modified to read: "no heterosexual brother of the Fraternity shall masturbate more than one time in any calendar month" and "all members shall abstain from pornography"

What a clownshow.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Capitol On Lockdown After 'Shots Fired' Guest International affairs/politics 7 03.04.2021 12:41
Dry January Cherub Food and drink 25 02.02.2020 20:45
laid off, b permit expires in January. Unemployment benefits after January? Swizzie La La Permits/visas/government 7 07.10.2014 19:49
Man charged with plot to blow up Pentagon, U.S. Capitol grynch International affairs/politics 7 29.09.2011 11:50
Ski Touring Course in January anyone? Ashley Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 10 05.12.2008 14:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0