Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 28.06.2021, 21:20
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 762
Groaned at 112 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,030 Times in 450 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
what is condescending about using "girls"? what do you call females who are not yet women? what should one use instead of "girls"?
Young women?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Hausamsee for this post:
  #162  
Old 28.06.2021, 21:33
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,804
Groaned at 2,651 Times in 1,883 Posts
Thanked 39,942 Times in 18,846 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
Young women?
Only if they are post puberty.

Same with "boys".

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 28.06.2021, 22:00
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 953 Times in 533 Posts
Thanked 5,070 Times in 2,256 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
If Bruce had emasculated himself a few decades earlier, just imagine how mage Olympic gold medals Caitlin could have won!

Tom
Caitlyn Jenner has actually come out and said that she is against trans people participating in women’s sports. She immediately got hounded by the hardline trans community for expressing this opinion. From Sarah Silverman too!

https://twitter.com/sarahksilverman/...11549849116672
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #164  
Old 29.06.2021, 02:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,154
Groaned at 594 Times in 430 Posts
Thanked 13,686 Times in 7,121 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Breaking news, fresh from babylonbee.com:



Female Weightlifter Suffers Tragic Testicle Injury Just Weeks Before Tokyo Olympics

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND—100% totally female weightlifter Laurel Hubbard was forced to bid farewell to her Olympic dreams yesterday after a tragic accident left her with a severely lacerated testicle. Hubbard would have been the first transgender woman to compete in the Olympics.
[..]
Hubbard said while she's disappointed she won’t be able to live out her Olympic dreams this year, that’s just the way it goes. “Sometimes your testicles get in the way,” Hubbard said. “That’s just something we gals have to deal with.”
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #165  
Old 29.06.2021, 07:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,546
Groaned at 414 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 17,783 Times in 8,997 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
Breaking news, fresh from babylonbee.com:



Female Weightlifter Suffers Tragic Testicle Injury Just Weeks Before Tokyo Olympics

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND—100% totally female weightlifter Laurel Hubbard was forced to bid farewell to her Olympic dreams yesterday after a tragic accident left her with a severely lacerated testicle. Hubbard would have been the first transgender woman to compete in the Olympics.
[..]
Hubbard said while she's disappointed she won’t be able to live out her Olympic dreams this year, that’s just the way it goes. “Sometimes your testicles get in the way,” Hubbard said. “That’s just something we gals have to deal with.”
Now it seems girls won't be able to blame the transgender women for poor results.

Even if (I think) I am in favour of separate competitions, I never understood why some folks here believe that once a "male" has entered a competition all is doomed, girls don't stand a chance.

Btw, many if not all relevant women tennis players train with males these days.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #166  
Old 29.06.2021, 07:56
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,780
Groaned at 418 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,329 Times in 5,676 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
Breaking news, fresh from babylonbee.com:



Female Weightlifter Suffers Tragic Testicle Injury Just Weeks Before Tokyo Olympics

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND—100% totally female weightlifter Laurel Hubbard was forced to bid farewell to her Olympic dreams yesterday after a tragic accident left her with a severely lacerated testicle. Hubbard would have been the first transgender woman to compete in the Olympics.
[..]
Hubbard said while she's disappointed she won’t be able to live out her Olympic dreams this year, that’s just the way it goes. “Sometimes your testicles get in the way,” Hubbard said. “That’s just something we gals have to deal with.”
For clarity’s sake, the Babylon Bee is a Christian Satire site for the right wing, much like the Onion is for the left wing.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #167  
Old 29.06.2021, 07:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,546
Groaned at 414 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 17,783 Times in 8,997 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
For clarity’s sake, the Babylon Bee is a Christian Satire site for the right wing, much like the Onion is for the left wing.
My comments still stand.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #168  
Old 29.06.2021, 08:04
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,804
Groaned at 2,651 Times in 1,883 Posts
Thanked 39,942 Times in 18,846 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
For clarity’s sake, the Babylon Bee is a Christian Satire site for the right wing, much like the Onion is for the left wing.
I thought it was the other way around?

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #169  
Old 29.06.2021, 08:07
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
.. Navratilova-style..
Fabulous person. 18 grandslams. I also liked her stylish mullet at some point, can't wait to have that return.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 29.06.2021, 08:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,546
Groaned at 414 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 17,783 Times in 8,997 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Indeed. Fabulous player and an outspoken sports person. Would really like to hear her opinion on this (and other things too) and of course, other opinions from sportswomen/champions like her.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 29.06.2021, 09:14
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,529
Groaned at 100 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,289 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed. Fabulous player and an outspoken sports person. Would really like to hear her opinion on this (and other things too) and of course, other opinions from sportswomen/champions like her.
There is a famous altercation between Navratilova and McKinnon (who I mentioned upthread) on Twitter where Navratilova questioned trans women in Women's sport and McKinnon called her transphobic and said "how would you know, you're not a world champion" or words to that effect. Yes bizarre and its on the web
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank MidfieldGeneral for this useful post:
  #172  
Old 29.06.2021, 09:26
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 953 Times in 533 Posts
Thanked 5,070 Times in 2,256 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
There is a famous altercation between Navratilova and McKinnon (who I mentioned upthread) on Twitter where Navratilova questioned trans women in Women's sport and McKinnon called her transphobic and said "how would you know, you're not a world champion" or words to that effect. Yes bizarre and its on the web
One of the most appalling things about the Trans participation in women's sport debate is the level of hate that gets hurled at women who speak out on the subject. "TERF" is such an atrocious and regressive insult. It's also odd how (as a generalization) many men just look on the current Trans debate with bemusement, but it's women who have to fight their corner as they're the ones impacted the most by it.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #173  
Old 29.06.2021, 10:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,546
Groaned at 414 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 17,783 Times in 8,997 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
There is a famous altercation between Navratilova and McKinnon (who I mentioned upthread) on Twitter where Navratilova questioned trans women in Women's sport and McKinnon called her transphobic and said "how would you know, you're not a world champion" or words to that effect. Yes bizarre and its on the web
Famous altercation for some, I'm not on Twitter or Reddit etc. EF was my only bizarre guilty pleasure. Now I'll have to look up all these scandals by myself. I'm actually surprised Navratilova got involved in feuds on social media (one more argument against sm). I'd love to read more structured opinions, but thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 29.06.2021, 10:45
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
One of the most appalling things about the Trans participation in women's sport debate is the level of hate that gets hurled at women who speak out on the subject. "TERF" is such an atrocious and regressive insult. It's also odd how (as a generalization) many men just look on the current Trans debate with bemusement, but it's women who have to fight their corner as they're the ones impacted the most by it.
It was always quite apparent that any identity politics damages the most those it's supposed to protect. I think there needs to be more non-normative support. Regular garden kindness and respect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #175  
Old 29.06.2021, 11:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
One of the most appalling things about the Trans participation in women's sport debate is the level of hate that gets hurled at women who speak out on the subject. "TERF" is such an atrocious and regressive insult. It's also odd how (as a generalization) many men just look on the current Trans debate with bemusement, but it's women who have to fight their corner as they're the ones impacted the most by it.
As someone who has no issues with treating transgender people with respect, with pronouns of their choosing, who doesn't mind what bathroom they use, I still think the idea you can go through puberty as a male and compete in women's professional sports bizarre. E.g. in basketball - the extra 5 or 6 inches gained as a result of male puberty is clearly a huge, huge advantage.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #176  
Old 29.06.2021, 11:09
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,253
Groaned at 281 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 24,514 Times in 9,978 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
As someone who has no issues with treating transgender people with respect, with pronouns of their choosing, who doesn't mind what bathroom they use, I still think the idea you can go through puberty as a male and compete in women's professional sports bizarre. E.g. in basketball - the extra 5 or 6 inches gained as a result of male puberty is clearly a huge, huge advantage.
I agree totally with all of that.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #177  
Old 29.06.2021, 11:24
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
As someone who has no issues with treating transgender people with respect, with pronouns of their choosing, who doesn't mind what bathroom they use, I still think the idea you can go through puberty as a male and compete in women's professional sports bizarre. E.g. in basketball - the extra 5 or 6 inches gained as a result of male puberty is clearly a huge, huge advantage.
Bigly.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 29.06.2021, 11:25
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,466
Groaned at 686 Times in 534 Posts
Thanked 26,613 Times in 10,738 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
I agree totally with all of that.
Does anyone on this thread actually disagree with that?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #179  
Old 29.06.2021, 11:27
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Fair Dinkum did a good job.

I only have a slight problem with Tom's definition of boys, I think it is ok to use the term post-puberty, too.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 29.06.2021, 11:36
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,253
Groaned at 281 Times in 238 Posts
Thanked 24,514 Times in 9,978 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Men are simply better at everything?

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone on this thread actually disagree with that?
I don’t know, I couldn’t be bothered to read all the bickering so skimmed most of the posts.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assura - simply NEVER Laug Insurance 27 21.03.2018 15:34
He, She ... or Perhaps simply It Medea Fleecestealer General off-topic 23 07.11.2016 08:57
Do I need a Visa to simply job hunt RJPH Permits/visas/government 5 20.01.2014 20:51
Simply beautiful. sam ali General off-topic 1 13.12.2013 10:24
Simply birolliant Castro General off-topic 4 25.07.2009 11:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0