Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #901  
Old 17.09.2022, 10:23
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,428
Groaned at 135 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 1,489 Times in 792 Posts
kiwiguy08 is considered a nuisancekiwiguy08 is considered a nuisancekiwiguy08 is considered a nuisance
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
“It’s like me taking my trash out and just driving to different areas where I live and just throwing my trash there," said Lefeld, a Venezuelan American who's a founding member of the Casa Venezuela Dallas foundation, which helps recent refugees.
Now imagine if Trump compared these people to trash
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 17.09.2022, 11:01
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 166
Groaned at 204 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 717 Times in 294 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
Are you seriously not able to understand the difference between being accepting of immigrants and minorities, etc. and not just suddenly being able to easily lodge and feed a huge group of them on a small island when they arrive unexpectedly?
huge group?! they received 50 people and the next day the national guard was called to remove them!

Quote:
View Post
As it turns out, though, the immigrants that did arrive at Martha's Vineyard have been transported to a military base to receive shelter and humanitarian support.

"The migrants, after two days of uncertainty on the small island and a large local effort to provide for them, cheered Friday morning when they were told they’d be taken to Joint Base Cape Cod."
"alright you've had your refreshments, now back on the bus!"
Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 17.09.2022, 11:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,114
Groaned at 652 Times in 552 Posts
Thanked 22,899 Times in 12,014 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
Both statements can be true at the same time, and probably are in hundreds of thousands of cases annually.

Crossing the border without proper documentation is illegal, that makes an illegal immigrant.

Subsequentially requesting asylum allows immigrants to stay until their request has been ruled on (total processing time apparently 1100 days on average, they're forbidden to work for the first 180 days). Apparently they're free to move anywhere in the country until then, hence the legality of the transports.

Refugees OTOH immigrate legally as their requests have to be filed from abroad. Biden set the ceiling for this FY at 125'000, the same is expected for FY '23.
Good news, keeping my fingers crossed that those governors are charged with transporting illegals.

Actually, it is not permitted to ask for asylum from outside of the US.

In the real world, your two statements cannot be true at the same time. Once people are accepted for asylum then they are no longer illegal immigrants.
Same as people who are divorced are no longer married.

One could find many US citizens who were illegals at some time (via marriage or the U visa or one of the amnesty programs) but that is no reason to bus them around the country.
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 17.09.2022, 12:59
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,710
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,248 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

I just realized that these immigrants who DeSantis had flown to Martha's vineyard actually departed from Texas, not Florida. I hope Florida taxpayers notice that too. DeSantis is a complete troll.

https://www.businessinsider.com/desa...-kindly-2022-9
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #905  
Old 17.09.2022, 13:50
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,332
Groaned at 311 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 11,506 Times in 4,331 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
huge group?! they received 50 people and the next day the national guard was called to remove them!



"alright you've had your refreshments, now back on the bus!"
The national guard was called to help assist them to be relocated somewhere where they could more easily be housed and fed, etc. The small island of Martha's Vineyard was not well-equipped to handle them and especially without advance notice. It's not like the national guard was called in to forcefully remove them and put them in cages.

"Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker said Friday he is deploying up to 125 National Guard members in response to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis sending a group of just 50 illegal immigrants to Martha’s Vineyard.

“Our Administration has been working across state government to develop a plan to ensure these individuals will have access to the services they need going forward, and Joint Base Cape Cod is well equipped to serve these needs,” the governor said.

The national guardsmen will meet the immigrants at Joint Base Cape Cod on the mainland. Buses retrieved the group of Venezuelans from St. Andrews church in Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard Friday morning, roughly 24 hours after they arrived on the island from San Antonio, Texas.

Baker, a moderate Republican, said transporting the migrants to Cape Cod was necessary because “the island communities are not equipped to provide sustainable accommodation, and state officials developed a plan to deliver a comprehensive humanitarian response.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...d-from-island/

The fact that DeSantis chose to send these people to the small island of Martha's Vineyard of all places just goes to show how desperate he was to try to make them an inconvenience and his ability to dehumanize anyone and use them as pawns as long as it furthers his own agenda. But the fact is, many, many people living on Martha's Vineyard reached out and pulled together and volunteered and offered assistance.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2022/09/16...igrants-photos
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #906  
Old 17.09.2022, 14:19
ennui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 1,210
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,718 Times in 1,306 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
I just realized that these immigrants who DeSantis had flown to Martha's vineyard actually departed from Texas, not Florida. I hope Florida taxpayers notice that too. DeSantis is a complete troll.

https://www.businessinsider.com/desa...-kindly-2022-9
He says he’s got 12 million dollars to spend on this, and he’s going to spend it all…so expect more.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #907  
Old 17.09.2022, 15:37
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,428
Groaned at 135 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 1,489 Times in 792 Posts
kiwiguy08 is considered a nuisancekiwiguy08 is considered a nuisancekiwiguy08 is considered a nuisance
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Damn my parents are going to Cape Cod next week, I hope they don’t have to be inconvenienced by Bakers move

Imagine all these mansions in M.V that have more rooms than they need, houses that are about to be empty as the summer is winding down and they can’t accommodate 50 “unannounced” visitors

sorry, the excuse is bs when border towns are overrun with illegals
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kiwiguy08 for this useful post:
  #908  
Old 17.09.2022, 15:38
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,136
Groaned at 975 Times in 547 Posts
Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,287 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
The national guard was called to help assist them to be relocated somewhere where they could more easily be housed and fed, etc. The small island of Martha's Vineyard was not well-equipped to handle them and especially without advance notice. It's not like the national guard was called in to forcefully remove them and put them in cages.
This "small island" community welcomes millions of tourists each year. The island population swells by a thousand percent in the summer months. It's where so many (empty) mansions of millionaires and billionaires are located. It's the location that Jaws was based on, where the mayor famously kept the beaches open to keep the tourists flocking in!

This is ultimately why this was such a politically astute move by Governor DeSantis. Space for 180,000 tourists, but not for 50 migrants, that's all people will see.
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 17.09.2022, 15:49
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,332
Groaned at 311 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 11,506 Times in 4,331 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
Damn my parents are going to Cape Cod next week, I hope they don’t have to be inconvenienced by Bakers move

Imagine all these mansions in M.V that have more rooms than they need, houses that are about to be empty as the summer is winding down and they can’t accommodate 50 “unannounced” visitors

sorry, the excuse is bs when border towns are overrun with illegals
People living in those border towns aren't expected to take the immigrants into their homes.

Do you get it now? Can you spot the difference?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #910  
Old 17.09.2022, 15:53
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: ZH & BS
Posts: 166
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 616 Times in 231 Posts
ShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
This "small island" community welcomes millions of tourists each year. The island population swells by a thousand percent in the summer months. It's where so many (empty) mansions of millionaires and billionaires are located. It's the location that Jaws was based on, where the mayor famously kept the beaches open to keep the tourists flocking in!

This is ultimately why this was such a politically astute move by Governor DeSantis. Space for 180,000 tourists, but not for 50 migrants, that's all people will see.
You are comparing asylum seekers dumped with zero notice with tourists, and it looks a bit like the Jaws film-set? Ummm ok.

Also, this nonsense logic of people owning mansions should be putting up legit asylum seekers is just a lazy deflection from addressing the fact that they should be processed and supported properly according to standard policy for asylum seekers. I think you are underestimating and cheapening how ‘astute’ you think people are. People will see it for what it is; an opportunist chancer pulling a stunt whilst trying to cut corners on peoples lives.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ShirleyNot for this useful post:
  #911  
Old 17.09.2022, 15:57
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,332
Groaned at 311 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 11,506 Times in 4,331 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
This "small island" community welcomes millions of tourists each year. The island population swells by a thousand percent in the summer months. It's where so many (empty) mansions of millionaires and billionaires are located. It's the location that Jaws was based on, where the mayor famously kept the beaches open to keep the tourists flocking in!

This is ultimately why this was such a politically astute move by Governor DeSantis. Space for 180,000 tourists, but not for 50 migrants, that's all people will see.
"Every year come September, the majority of Martha’s Vineyard closes up shop."

https://www.departures.com/archive/t...ard-off-season

Not to mention the fact that putting them up in hotels there is not a sustainable solution. You can't even find a hotel room in Martha's Vineyard for less than $200 per night in September.

It was not a politically astute move. It's one that makes DeSantis look extremely immature, desperate and inhumane. Only a person who views immigrants as being pawns and easily dehumanizes them and who fails to view this from all angles would consider this a "politically astute" move.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #912  
Old 17.09.2022, 16:04
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,136
Groaned at 975 Times in 547 Posts
Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,287 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
"Every year come September, the majority of Martha’s Vineyard closes up shop."

https://www.departures.com/archive/t...ard-off-season

Not to mention the fact that putting them up in hotels there is not a sustainable solution. You can't even find a hotel room in Martha's Vineyard for less than $200 per night in September.

It was not a politically astute move. It's one that makes DeSantis look extremely immature, desperate and inhumane. Only a person who views immigrants as being pawns and easily dehumanizes them and who fails to view this from all angles would consider this a "politically astute" move.
Quote:
View Post
Also, this nonsense logic of people owning mansions should be putting up legit asylum seekers is just a lazy deflection from addressing the fact that they should be processed and supported properly according to standard policy for asylum seekers. I think you are underestimating and cheapening how ‘astute’ you think people are. People will see it for what it is; an opportunist chancer pulling a stunt whilst trying to cut corners on peoples lives.
This just comes across as excuses. The headline to many will be that Martha's Vineyard couldn't take in 50 migrants when over 100 times that many are crossing the southern border every single day.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #913  
Old 17.09.2022, 16:08
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: ZH & BS
Posts: 166
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 616 Times in 231 Posts
ShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
This just comes across as excuses. The headline to many will be that Martha's Vineyard couldn't take in 50 migrants when over 100 times that many are crossing the southern border every single day.
Sounds like you agree DeSantis was just doing it for the headlines. So, a provable empty gesture by a publicity hungry politician. Who knew?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ShirleyNot for this useful post:
  #914  
Old 17.09.2022, 16:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Happy Valley
Posts: 397
Groaned at 33 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 816 Times in 359 Posts
Flakk has a reputation beyond reputeFlakk has a reputation beyond reputeFlakk has a reputation beyond reputeFlakk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
It's the location that Jaws was based on
No. Jaws is set in the fictional town of Amity, located on the south shore of Long Island.

Some distance from Martha's Vinyard physically and very different geographically.
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 17.09.2022, 16:21
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,332
Groaned at 311 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 11,506 Times in 4,331 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
This just comes across as excuses. The headline to many will be that Martha's Vineyard couldn't take in 50 migrants when over 100 times that many are crossing the southern border every single day.
No, it's really just pure logic. People in Texas aren't expected to take immigrants into their homes. Hotel owners in Texas aren't expected to lodge immigrants for free. But somehow people in Martha's Vineyard are?

Not to mention the difference between having these people put on a base, where they can receive proper food and shelter, compared to putting them in cages and tearing kids away from their parents.

What this has shown is that the people in Martha's Vineyard are able to treat immigrants with respect and dignity, whereas people like DeSantis and yourself dehumanize them and view them as being expendable pawns to be used to further the GOP's political agenda and fuel an existing hatred toward immigrants that the GOP tries to capitalize upon.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #916  
Old 17.09.2022, 18:29
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 166
Groaned at 204 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 717 Times in 294 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
No, it's really just pure logic. People in Texas aren't expected to take immigrants into their homes. Hotel owners in Texas aren't expected to lodge immigrants for free. But somehow people in Martha's Vineyard are?
yet people in border towns are expected to have their entire infrastructure overwhelmed by illegal immigrants like its not a problem!

Quote:
View Post
What this has shown is that the people in Martha's Vineyard are able to treat immigrants with respect and dignity, whereas people like DeSantis and yourself dehumanize them and view them as being expendable pawns to be used to further the GOP's political agenda and fuel an existing hatred toward immigrants that the GOP tries to capitalize upon.
well, at least for a day or two
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 17.09.2022, 19:10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: ZH & BS
Posts: 166
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 616 Times in 231 Posts
ShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
yet people in border towns are expected to have their entire infrastructure overwhelmed by illegal immigrants like its not a problem!
You repeatedly use the term ‘illegal’ immigrants as if it’s relevant to this case. I think it’s been pointed out more than once that they are not ‘illegal’. I’m sure DeSantis would appreciate it if you don’t imply he broke the law transporting illegals.


Quote:
View Post
well, at least for a day or two
No, they helped them as best they could initially then realised that being sprung with unannounced immigrants for a publicity stunt wasn’t sustainable.
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 17.09.2022, 19:25
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 166
Groaned at 204 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 717 Times in 294 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
No, they helped them as best they could initially then realised that being sprung with unannounced immigrants for a publicity stunt wasn’t sustainable.
i agree they handled it beautifully - treated them with dignity and respect whilst using the military to deport them immediately.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank vushka for this useful post:
  #919  
Old 17.09.2022, 19:36
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,332
Groaned at 311 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 11,506 Times in 4,331 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
yet people in border towns are expected to have their entire infrastructure overwhelmed by illegal immigrants like its not a problem!
Again, the people living in border towns are not expected to provide housing to immigrants. They're not expected to open up their homes to them. What about that do you NOT understand? And can you please explain exactly how their "entire infrastructure is overwhelmed by illegal immigrants?" Is it that they're eating up all the McDonald's or crowding the movie theaters or buying up all the Playstation 5's at Walmart?

Do you realize that the majority of them come here for jobs and that America's farming industry relies on immigrant labor, making up about 50% of its workforce in the fields, etc.? Many of these jobs would otherwise go unfilled and the US farming industry would collapse.

New Texas study says illegal immigrants are net benefit to economy

https://www.workingimmigrants.com/20...it-to-economy/

Immigrants are crucial to Texas’ economy
https://www.fwd.us/news/texas-immigrants/

"Immigrants now make up nearly a quarter (23%) of Texas’ labor force, according to a FWD.us analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data, nearly double the share from three decades ago. Texas depends on immigrants to grow its economy, and the immigrant labor force cannot be taken for granted. Immigrants in Texas’ workforce contribute an estimated $119 billion to the Texas economy annually in personal income, making up nearly 1 in 5 of all wage dollars in the state."
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #920  
Old 17.09.2022, 19:41
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: ZH & BS
Posts: 166
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 616 Times in 231 Posts
ShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Trump and 2024

Quote:
View Post
i agree they handled it beautifully - treated them with dignity and respect whilst using the military to deport them immediately.
Where’s the bit that states they were ‘deported’?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ShirleyNot for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump organisation indicted today on fraud charges (not Trump family) marton International affairs/politics 55 Yesterday 23:50
New: Trump Jokes Ardneham Jokes/funnies 15 29.01.2021 14:59
Will Trump get reelected robBob International affairs/politics 129 02.03.2020 22:15
The New Trump Tax Cuts ToothCentral International affairs/politics 11 05.04.2017 23:14
Donald Trump and Co McTAVGE International affairs/politics 1531 28.09.2016 09:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0