Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 25.04.2022, 11:18
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,046
Groaned at 210 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 1,986 Times in 984 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Or in other words, more than half of French voters have voted for "extreme" parties/candidates. I'm not sure how people don't see this as problematic in the longer term.
What would be problematic would be allowing French voters to have a referendum on EU membership. While France is in the EU the politics of Le Pen and Melenchon are impossible to implement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 25.04.2022, 11:34
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,058
Groaned at 889 Times in 499 Posts
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,164 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
What would be problematic would be allowing French voters to have a referendum on EU membership. While France is in the EU the politics of Le Pen and Melenchon are impossible to implement.
Everything is possible even within the EU. See how much Hungary and Poland are able get away with. Marine Le Pen has in recent years reversed her stance on the EU, so even had she won there would have been little risk of departing the EU.

Whilst there is no great desire to exit the EU in France, attitudes towards the EU are among the lowest within the pact. Another issue that will prove problematic in the next Presidential term.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 25.04.2022, 12:07
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is online now
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,433
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,220 Times in 2,925 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quite hard to be afraid of foreigners when you're the foreigner. Anyway, there's some people (18.73%) who manage to do it.

Quote:
French President Emmanuel Macron received strong support from French voters in Switzerland in the run-off of the French presidential election. He won 81.27% of the vote cast by French citizens in French-speaking Switzerland, according to provisional results announced on Sunday evening by the French Consulate General in Geneva.

Approximately 45% of the 123,838 registered French citizens took part in the second round of the French presidential election. Macron’s rival Marine Le Pen earned 18.73% of the vote.

A total of 107 polling booths and 1,200 volunteers were deployed to facilitate the electoral process across six French-speaking cantons of Switzerland.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/macron-...rland/47541950
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 25.04.2022, 15:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,011
Groaned at 579 Times in 419 Posts
Thanked 13,457 Times in 6,994 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Macron was the most voted candidate in the first round and second round so his victory is a true triumph of democracy.
His main opponents Le Pen and Melonchon have completely contradictory and largely unworkable policies.
72% voted for someone other than Macron in the first round. The additional votes he got in the 2nd round apparently take him either as second best or as the lesser of two evils.

Not sure how that's democratic when almost 3/4 would prefer someone else. As long as there's one single person at the top that won't change though, as a consequence the feeling by many of being left out in the rain won't disappear anytime soon.
Quote:
View Post
What would be problematic would be allowing French voters to have a referendum on EU membership. While France is in the EU the politics of Le Pen and Melenchon are impossible to implement.
"You can have any opinion you want as long as it conforms with the establishment's"
Not sure how that's supposed to reduce the discontent.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 25.04.2022, 16:09
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,433
Groaned at 313 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 6,889 Times in 2,914 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
72% voted for someone other than Macron in the first round. The additional votes he got in the 2nd round apparently take him either as second best or as the lesser of two evils.

Not sure how that's democratic when almost 3/4 would prefer someone else. As long as there's one single person at the top that won't change though, as a consequence the feeling by many of being left out in the rain won't disappear anytime soon.
If there was a candidate winning north of 50% in the first round, there would not be a second round. So I am not sure what your point is?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 25.04.2022, 19:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,011
Groaned at 579 Times in 419 Posts
Thanked 13,457 Times in 6,994 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
If there was a candidate winning north of 50% in the first round, there would not be a second round. So I am not sure what your point is?
Next time maybe read what you quote.

ETA:
Since you groan: I mean it, read what you quote. The 2nd paragraph answered your question before you've even asked.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Urs Max for this post:
  #67  
Old 26.04.2022, 11:42
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,046
Groaned at 210 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 1,986 Times in 984 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: French presidential election 2022

Both Le Pen and Melenchon are anti EU and anti Euro but they lie and claim that they are not.

Melenchon makes impossible promises such as retirement for all at 60.

At least with Macron people know what they are voting for.

With coalition governments you never know what you are going to get (except in CH of course)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 26.04.2022, 11:47
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,046
Groaned at 210 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 1,986 Times in 984 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
"You can have any opinion you want as long as it conforms with the establishment's"
Not sure how that's supposed to reduce the discontent.
The establishment is what we have and people had better get used to it. Pensioners all vote for Macron and as there are more and more retired people, things are not going to change. If it were not for the 2 term limit Macron could remain as president for the next 30 years or more.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 26.04.2022, 11:50
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,433
Groaned at 313 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 6,889 Times in 2,914 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Next time maybe read what you quote.

ETA:
Since you groan: I mean it, read what you quote. The 2nd paragraph answered your question before you've even asked.
Read it then, read it now. I still don't know what your suggestion is to fix this "undemocratic" outcome. You either have a candidate who wins majority from the start or you are going to build a form of a voter coalition to get behind the eventual winner - for whatever reason they vote for him/her.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 26.04.2022, 14:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,011
Groaned at 579 Times in 419 Posts
Thanked 13,457 Times in 6,994 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Read it then, read it now. I still don't know what your suggestion is to fix this "undemocratic" outcome. You either have a candidate who wins majority from the start or you are going to build a form of a voter coalition to get behind the eventual winner - for whatever reason they vote for him/her.
The demand to have a solution at the ready when pointing out a problem is rather nonsensical.

You may not be aware, but the outcome was followed by numerous protests with many participants saying that their vote wasn't for Macron but to block Le Pen, now they're protesting Macron to show that they don't want him and his politics either. He's merely the lesser of two evils.

Those who vote for Le Pen on the other hand have been excluded from political power since forever. They don't just feel but actually are excluded from political power. It shouldn't surprise that many get ever more radicalised.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 20.06.2022, 10:14
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,939
Groaned at 618 Times in 523 Posts
Thanked 22,149 Times in 11,623 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Emmanuel Macron lost his absolute majority in France's lower-house National Assembly as French legislative elections concluded on Sunday, far-right won ten times as many seats.

A coalition now needed...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 20.06.2022, 10:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 914
Groaned at 130 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 1,076 Times in 535 Posts
Biro has earned the respect of manyBiro has earned the respect of manyBiro has earned the respect of many
Re: French presidential election 2022

Whilst it's most enjoyable to see Micron getting a good kick in the nuts, it will make life very difficult in Europe as there are no strong leaders anymore.



Micron is distasteful but he did try and lead, Scholtz, Boris, both waste of space, Biden, off with the fairies and at present we NEED strong leaders.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 20.06.2022, 11:49
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,058
Groaned at 889 Times in 499 Posts
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,164 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

A picture that paints the problems many western democracies face. Centre ground getting squeezed out by both the far left and far right.

Although don't believe the marketing, M. Macron is no centrist

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 20.06.2022, 12:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,501
Groaned at 409 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,648 Times in 8,925 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Micron is distasteful but he did try and lead, Scholtz, Boris, both waste of space, Biden, off with the fairies and at present we NEED strong leaders.
Yes, like Putler!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 20.06.2022, 13:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Zug
Posts: 39
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 150 Times in 54 Posts
Necromancer has earned the respect of manyNecromancer has earned the respect of manyNecromancer has earned the respect of many
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Whilst it's most enjoyable to see Micron getting a good kick in the nuts, it will make life very difficult in Europe as there are no strong leaders anymore.



Micron is distasteful but he did try and lead, Scholtz, Boris, both waste of space, Biden, off with the fairies and at present we NEED strong leaders.
Both the Germans and Russians have historically shared a predilection for ‘strong leaders’.
It has never turned out too well and generally leads to a lot of unpleasantness.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Necromancer for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 20.06.2022, 14:05
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,058
Groaned at 889 Times in 499 Posts
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,164 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Both the Germans and Russians have historically shared a predilection for ‘strong leaders’.
It has never turned out too well and generally leads to a lot of unpleasantness.
It's not as if having "strong leaders" whatever that means, really improves matters. Economically, look at Turkey, Brazil or Russia, one would be hard pressed to argue these countries are doing much better than their liberal democratic contemporaries with "weak" leaders.

Ultimately democracy is at a cross roads, as yesterday's elections perfectly illustrate, voting for the least worst option has its limits. I don't know how much longer this is sustainable, it's not like France is unique, we see this reflected across much of the democratic world.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 20.06.2022, 19:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 914
Groaned at 130 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 1,076 Times in 535 Posts
Biro has earned the respect of manyBiro has earned the respect of manyBiro has earned the respect of many
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
It's not as if having "strong leaders" whatever that means, really improves matters. Economically, look at Turkey, Brazil or Russia, one would be hard pressed to argue these countries are doing much better than their liberal democratic contemporaries with "weak" leaders.

Ultimately democracy is at a cross roads, as yesterday's elections perfectly illustrate, voting for the least worst option has its limits. I don't know how much longer this is sustainable, it's not like France is unique, we see this reflected across much of the democratic world.

I meant strong leaders in the sense of Regan, Thatcher, Mitterand who wanted and did good for their countries not tinpot dictators.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Biro for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 20.06.2022, 19:55
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is online now
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,433
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,220 Times in 2,925 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
I meant strong leaders in the sense of Regan, Thatcher, Mitterand who wanted and did good for their countries not tinpot dictators.
Ohhhh, monetarist strategies to control inflation and a laizes-faire approach to the supply side of the economy (e.g. food, housing, cars) without any attempt at all to moderate the social impact of their policies?

Stop.....you're making my inner free-market guy blush Although, not sure if you can describe them as strong leaders or dominatrix (dominatrices?).
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 20.06.2022, 20:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,501
Groaned at 409 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,648 Times in 8,925 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Ultimately democracy is at a cross roads, as yesterday's elections perfectly illustrate, voting for the least worst option has its limits. I don't know how much longer this is sustainable, it's not like France is unique, we see this reflected across much of the democratic world.
Sorry, but this is how democracy works, nothing special happened yesterday. Nobody guaranteed Macron he'll have a comfortable majority. He will have to pursue dialogue with the fringe characters too - Melenchon, Le Pen etc. (and not desert them in their echo chambers with their loyal followers, maybe they'll also learn something)
If you think this isn't democracy, oh, well.

Last edited by greenmount; 20.06.2022 at 20:57.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 20.06.2022, 21:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 914
Groaned at 130 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 1,076 Times in 535 Posts
Biro has earned the respect of manyBiro has earned the respect of manyBiro has earned the respect of many
Re: French presidential election 2022

Quote:
View Post
Ohhhh, monetarist strategies to control inflation and a laizes-faire approach to the supply side of the economy (e.g. food, housing, cars) without any attempt at all to moderate the social impact of their policies?

Stop.....you're making my inner free-market guy blush Although, not sure if you can describe them as strong leaders or dominatrix (dominatrices?).
I didn't say I agreed, I said they led in the fashion they genuinely thought was best for their countries, rather than the leaders we have today that more and more resemble omelettes !!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaud Élection du 20 Mars 2022 bowlie Other/general 4 02.03.2022 11:43
Iran's Presidential Election 2013: Where Iranian-Swiss Can Cast Their Vote Linnéa UZH International affairs/politics 61 19.06.2013 07:37
US presidential election 2012 TammieE International affairs/politics 337 10.11.2012 00:32
French Presidential Elections started Wollishofener International affairs/politics 15 06.05.2012 21:25
Presidential Election Guest International affairs/politics 1 23.07.2008 14:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0