Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #781  
Old 07.12.2009, 16:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Oz
Posts: 610
Groaned at 155 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 211 Posts
drsmithy has earned some respectdrsmithy has earned some respect
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
My problem with it is that it is misguided, even a lie, and laden with a political agenda.
Which aspects of pollution and the unnatural release of large amounts of greenhouse gases over the last few centuries, are "lies and laden with political agenda" ?

Quote:
I actually think that human activity probably does contribute to the warming of the earth. Thermographic imagery of the terrain clearly demonstrate cities can get be 5 degress hotter that it would be otherwise. It points to air-conditioning, and the covering of naturally circulating soil with asphalt or buildings as probable culprits.
So - ignoring the particulate and chemical pollution involved for now - you don't think burning up millions of years worth of accumulated oil, coal and gas in a measly few hundred years is something to be concerned about ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank drsmithy for this useful post:
  #782  
Old 07.12.2009, 21:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
Which aspects of pollution and the unnatural release of large amounts of greenhouse gases over the last few centuries, are "lies and laden with political agenda" ?

So - ignoring the particulate and chemical pollution involved for now - you don't think burning up millions of years worth of accumulated oil, coal and gas in a measly few hundred years is something to be concerned about ?

I don't have an ounce of a problem with conservation and would advocate responsible, clean living. It's the mob mentality I have always had a problem with.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #783  
Old 08.12.2009, 02:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Oz
Posts: 610
Groaned at 155 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 211 Posts
drsmithy has earned some respectdrsmithy has earned some respect
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
I don't have an ounce of a problem with conservation and would advocate responsible, clean living.
That's great, but it wasn't the question asked.

Quote:
It's the mob mentality I have always had a problem with.
Nonsense. You're fine with the mob, so long as it's your mob.
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 08.12.2009, 02:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
That's great, but it wasn't the question asked.

Nonsense. You're fine with the mob, so long as it's your mob.

If you notice, I always operate alone.
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 08.12.2009, 02:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
If you notice, I always operate alone.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #786  
Old 08.12.2009, 02:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:


I hope you're not expecting me to change my avatar this time.
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 08.12.2009, 02:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
I hope you're not expecting me to change my avatar this time.
Nah. The hat suits you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #788  
Old 08.12.2009, 10:54
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
It's the mob mentality I have always had a problem with.
Don't worry. We can just have a referendum.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gastro Gnome for this useful post:
  #789  
Old 08.12.2009, 11:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

I'm still a bit disappointed that the "climatologists" didn't deliver on the
Global Cooling they were promising us in the 70s .

Still, at least we can all hide behind Chaos Theory when we get things
so badly "wrong".

In the meantime, here's some stuff from Vostok ice core analyses...
(Oh no, what's data doing in a discussion like this!?!?! )



.
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 19.12.2009, 00:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 74
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Viju has become a little unpopularViju has become a little unpopular
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Would be a good idea to watch the Following BBC program, which has compiled all the evidence available on this subject and also included the views of people who disagree with the idea of 'Man Made Climate Change'. Than examine stand alone bits and pieces here and there and now and then, we need to see all the evidence in the right contexts, pieced together in the right order and in one place and time to make better sense of it all, and this programme does it.

Channel: BBC 2
Programme:
Earth: The climate wars
News/Documentary
Dr Iain Stewart takes you through a 3 part series(1 hour each) on Global warming
.

Last edited by Viju; 19.12.2009 at 03:28. Reason: Corrected Lain to Iain
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 19.12.2009, 02:26
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
Would be a good idea to watch the Following BBC program, which has compiled all the evidence available on this subject and also included the views of people who disagree with the idea of 'Man Made Climate Change'. Than examine stand alone bits and pieces here and there and now and then, we need to see all the evidence in the right contexts, pieced together in the right order and in one place and time to make better sense of it all, and this programme does it.

Channel: BBC 2
Programme:
Earth: The climate wars
News/Documentary
Dr Lain Stewart takes you through a 3 part series(1 hour each) on Global warming
.
I agree . . . that's a good series. BTW, it's Iain Stewart, not 'Lain'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gastro Gnome for this useful post:
  #792  
Old 19.12.2009, 17:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
Would be a good idea to watch the Following BBC program, which has compiled all the evidence available on this subject and also included the views of people who disagree with the idea of 'Man Made Climate Change'. Than examine stand alone bits and pieces here and there and now and then, we need to see all the evidence in the right contexts, pieced together in the right order and in one place and time to make better sense of it all, and this programme does it.

You mean like a movie or a novel?
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 20.12.2009, 13:57
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
You mean like a movie or a novel?
What's your point Phos?

Is there a form of science documentary which doesn't use narrative?

Anyway, it's not just narrative, it's also that that programme gives a survey of both the science and the surrounding political debate.

Have you even seen the programme? If not, how are you able to comment?
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 20.12.2009, 14:18
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post


I hope you're not expecting me to change my avatar this time.
No, but I think he'd still like you to answer the question.
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 20.12.2009, 14:19
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

It's always interesting to me that people pull this graph out without understanding any of it.

Quote:
View Post
I'm still a bit disappointed that the
"climatologists" didn't deliver on the
Global Cooling they were promising us in the 70s .

Still, at least we can all hide behind Chaos Theory when we get things
so badly "wrong".

In the meantime, here's some stuff from Vostok ice core analyses...
(Oh no, what's data doing in a discussion like this!?!?! )



.
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 21.12.2009, 19:23
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 875
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
It's always interesting to me that people pull this graph out without understanding any of it.
You know, I thought weejeem was being ironic.
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 23.12.2009, 13:41
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,510
Groaned at 45 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,363 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Well, well, it looks like Dr Rajendra Pachauri, head of the IPCC, holds quite a number of very lucrative side-jobs.

Questions over business deals of UN climate change guru Dr Rajendra Pachauri

Quote:
No one in the world exercised more influence on the events leading up to the Copenhagen conference on global warming than Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and mastermind of its latest report in 2007.

[...]

What has also almost entirely escaped attention, however, is how Dr Pachauri has established an astonishing worldwide portfolio of business interests with bodies which have been investing billions of dollars in organisations dependent on the IPCC’s policy recommendations.
Once again, it's just about the money.
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 23.12.2009, 18:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
You know, I thought weejeem was being ironic.
Who, me? i can't even spell irony...
.
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 23.12.2009, 18:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,013
Groaned at 171 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Looking at the weather in Europe and the East Coast of America; where is this global warming?

How long has global warming been talked about.......3 years?
Suddenly it is all so urgent to be rectified immediately.........doesn't make sense to me?.........is it political?

I have been led to believe that a volcano produces more heat, gases etc etc than say all the power stations in America.
If that is the case, then there is no need for human kind to rush to change things.
Then people say but the artic is melting so the earth must be warmimg up.
I believe that the sea covers two thirds of the world surface.
Therefore there are more than twice the number of volcanos under the sea because the centre of the earth is closer to the bottom of the sea.
Any volcano will create currents and warm flows of water.
So a couple of extra volcanos erupting would make all the difference surely?

Isn't it a case that the financial centres of the world want to start making money from speculating, selling and trading carbon emmissions?

Waiting for some more red blobbies!
__________________
I do not have friends..........I have contingent liabilities
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 23.12.2009, 19:26
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global Warming - what's behind it?

Quote:
View Post
Looking at the weather in Europe and the East Coast of America; where is this global warming?

How long has global warming been talked about.......3 years?
Suddenly it is all so urgent to be rectified immediately.........doesn't make sense to me?.........is it political?

I have been led to believe that a volcano produces more heat, gases etc etc than say all the power stations in America.
If that is the case, then there is no need for human kind to rush to change things.
Then people say but the artic is melting so the earth must be warmimg up.
I believe that the sea covers two thirds of the world surface.
Therefore there are more than twice the number of volcanos under the sea because the centre of the earth is closer to the bottom of the sea.
Any volcano will create currents and warm flows of water.
So a couple of extra volcanos erupting would make all the difference surely?

Isn't it a case that the financial centres of the world want to start making money from speculating, selling and trading carbon emmissions?

Waiting for some more red blobbies!
Well, it's pretty clear you never studied earth science....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
climate change, climategate, co2, global warming




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0