Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1361  
Old 15.01.2011, 19:15
Downerbuzz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: town not big enough for the both of us
Posts: 852
Groaned at 39 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 939 Times in 404 Posts
Downerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
For those knew to the forum Uncle Max and others I have been led to believe are ex-Israeli army and very proud of it. They will not take kindly to the mention of No Israel! They see as anti-semetic, or even as a threat to wipe Israel off the face of the planet. He is a moderator, so you have to explain or be wiped off the face of the forum! Or get temporarily banned for too much cut and paste; as happened to me ( hence the mention of text speak)!

This user would like to thank Downerbuzz for this useful post:
  #1362  
Old 15.01.2011, 19:38
WhySoSerious?'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 138
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 56 Posts
WhySoSerious? has become a little unpopular
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

All is fair in love and war. Neither side has any grounds to play the victim card or act morally superior. That is the fact of the situation which both sides have difficulty dealing with including the time wasting couch experts on this thread.
  #1363  
Old 15.01.2011, 20:08
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 464
Groaned at 209 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 1,794 Times in 984 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
I am very well aware of the happenings in the region since I have lived there for years and have seen first hand the IDF’s terrorist activities.
...
oh, Do tell. It's not as if you were not caught being very economical with the truth.
  #1364  
Old 15.01.2011, 21:59
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rafz
Posts: 123
Groaned at 48 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Custodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisance
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
That’s insane, the illegitimate child of the queen was adopted by the US, and brought up and cared for. All these illegal acts were condoned by the US, who used its veto power more than 40 times to save him, and still you think US should not be discussed.
Your democracy argument will vanish when a democrat comes and takes over your home just because he lived there 2000 years ago. He moves you to one corner, kills the family and builds a wall around you. Then lets in only the things he likes. You will really admire the democracy when that happens. The only democracy in the region has committed so many shameful acts that even all the dictators around ashmed.
I am not against democracy its one of the better forms of government available. Its only the selfish use of it that is deplorable. The world greatest democracies come together at UN to create the world largest dictatorship so that they can carry out their agenda. What will happen if the general Assembly has all the powers?.
If the US polices were more just a little bit JUST then the world won’t have the so called war on terrorism.
For you democracy is evil.
For me, & a few other 100m, it's the best option & far removed from terrorism excercised in the name of God
  #1365  
Old 15.01.2011, 22:17
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
For you democracy is evil.
For me, & a few other 100m, it's the best option & far removed from terrorism excercised in the name of God
And Israel isn't exercising terrorism in the name of their god and so-called promised land?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #1366  
Old 15.01.2011, 22:26
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
All is fair in love and war. Neither side has any grounds to play the victim card or act morally superior. That is the fact of the situation which both sides have difficulty dealing with including the time wasting couch experts on this thread.
Except that Israel is threatening to bomb my mother-in-law, 82 years old, a haji, living alone, barely able to walk never mind run from a bomb, has never condoned violence, never supported Hamas. She's just a sitting duck.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #1367  
Old 15.01.2011, 22:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
phacel has slipped a little
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
oh, Do tell. It's not as if you were not caught being very economical with the truth.
Pashosh,

Out of my entire post you pick out the one line that pertains to my life and focus on it. I have noticed by your past few comments that you seem incredibly interested in who I am, what I do and even what “language” I speak. I can’t help but wonder why? You do realize that this entire thread is about the Palestinian and Israeli issue, and not about what I do and who I am. My personal life and experiences are just that, “personal.”I am not going to elaborate on my own experiences in the region because I wish to keep them private. It is why I mentioned them only vaguely.

I find it disturbing that instead of answering back or encouraging a friendly debate by defending your opinions, you would rather wonder at my ethnicity and my personal experiences in the Middle East. I am not here to explain myself to anyone. If you wish to talk more about the war between Palestine and Israel, than I would be more than happy to continue this debate. Otherwise, I believe that I have a right to my privacy, just like everyone else, and I have no wish to continue this discussion if you just keep focusing on my person instead of the relevant topic at hand.

As for me being economical with the truth, well I have yet to see you post any, if at all, whether economical or not.
This user would like to thank phacel for this useful post:
  #1368  
Old 15.01.2011, 23:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
phacel has slipped a little
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
For you democracy is evil.
For me, & a few other 100m, it's the best option & far removed from terrorism excercised in the name of God
So you condone the state sponsered terrorism & killing of innocents in the name of "defence," when its carried out by a democracy?

Anyways I don’t believe that “democracy is evil.” I simply argued and pointed out facts that show that such a democracy cannot be completely justified as it also has its own corruptions and fallacies. Not that it was completely out of bounds and should not be accepted. Democracy is one of the better forms of governments and I wanted to point out that though it is better, it does not mean it’s without its own imperfections.

I can write this because I live in a democratic country where freedom of speech is allowed and where I won’t be ostracized for writing what I believe to be true. If you think I have written something that is false or irrelevant then please convince me otherwise by making valid arguments and pointing to facts. If you have a strong and well-established argument then I am not so stubborn that I don’t see reason and won’t be able to accept.
  #1369  
Old 16.01.2011, 00:03
WhySoSerious?'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 138
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 56 Posts
WhySoSerious? has become a little unpopular
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Except that Israel is threatening to bomb my mother-in-law, 82 years old, a haji, living alone, barely able to walk never mind run from a bomb, has never condoned violence, never supported Hamas. She's just a sitting duck.
Your grandmother is Palestinian? Similarly someone from Israel can point to their personal story too. Like I said reality of life is that all is fair in love and war.

The donkey like stubbornness and God complex of both sides is to blame for the current mess. Both sides are victims and aggressors. Don't know what will be achieved talking about it for 70 pages on a Swiss English forum.
  #1370  
Old 16.01.2011, 01:44
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Your grandmother is Palestinian? Similarly someone from Israel can point to their personal story too. Like I said reality of life is that all is fair in love and war.

The donkey like stubbornness and God complex of both sides is to blame for the current mess. Both sides are victims and aggressors. Don't know what will be achieved talking about it for 70 pages on a Swiss English forum.
Shes in Iran, wondering why Iranian money has to be used to fight a proxy war when there are needy people in Iran. I guess much the same as elderly women in American wondering why US money is being used to fight a proxy war, when there are so many needy Americans. If both sides are fighting for god, why not let the gods to fight it out while the people live in peace?

Last edited by hoppy; 16.01.2011 at 04:59.
  #1371  
Old 16.01.2011, 09:04
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 464
Groaned at 209 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 1,794 Times in 984 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Pashosh,

Out of my entire post you pick out the one line that pertains to my life and focus on it. I have noticed by your past few comments that you seem incredibly interested in who I am, what I do and even what “language” I speak. I can’t help but wonder why? You do realize that this entire thread is about the Palestinian and Israeli issue, and not about what I do and who I am. My personal life and experiences are just that, “personal.”I am not going to elaborate on my own experiences in the region because I wish to keep them private. It is why I mentioned them only vaguely.

I find it disturbing that instead of answering back or encouraging a friendly debate by defending your opinions, you would rather wonder at my ethnicity and my personal experiences in the Middle East. I am not here to explain myself to anyone. If you wish to talk more about the war between Palestine and Israel, than I would be more than happy to continue this debate. Otherwise, I believe that I have a right to my privacy, just like everyone else, and I have no wish to continue this discussion if you just keep focusing on my person instead of the relevant topic at hand.

As for me being economical with the truth, well I have yet to see you post any, if at all, whether economical or not.
Phasel - you are new to the forum. members here are expected to tell a bit about themselves, you claim to know the middle east but won't back it up.

You claim to have bad experience with the Israeli army, yet you don't give any examples - this is not a mature debate.

As for the Isr-Pal topic: You lied about Israeli helicopters shooting kids - maybe an apology is in order ? maybe you were confused with Arabs celebrating the murder of civilans. Jews and arabs do look the same
This user groans at Pashosh for this post:
  #1372  
Old 16.01.2011, 12:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
phacel has slipped a little
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Phasel - you are new to the forum. members here are expected to tell a bit about themselves, you claim to know the middle east but won't back it up.

You claim to have bad experience with the Israeli army, yet you don't give any examples - this is not a mature debate.

As for the Isr-Pal topic: You lied about Israeli helicopters shooting kids - maybe an apology is in order ? maybe you were confused with Arabs celebrating the murder of civilans. Jews and arabs do look the same
I have been on the forum for more than a year & a half so I don't need any introduction. Moreover, not every one of the thousands of members are obligated to introduce themselves just to satisfy others curiosity.
I am not obligated to answer any more than that and its rather impolite to focus on my personal experiences in a thread that is not even about me.
As for me not giving any examples, well I believe I have given many, and the only difference in them is that they don’t personally pertain to me but affect the people of Palestine instead which is what this thread is about. My decision to keep my experiences private should be respected and I believe it is rather immature of you to be asking me to explain myself in a threat that is not about me and should not be about me.
As for Israeli helicopters shooting kids, well I only write what I believe to be the truth and since you’re so obsessed why don’t you visit the following links and see whether it’s true or not.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/palestinianauthority/4032280/Witnesses-describe-horror-of-Gaza-attacks-as-Israeli-air-strike-kills-children.html
http://articles.cnn.com/2001-12-10/world/mideast_1_zinni-israeli-helicopters-beit-hanun?_s=PM:WORLD
You seem to be stuck on the fact that helicopters haven’t killed children. Now that I have proved that they have, I would like to say that the loss of any innocent life whether by helicopter or not, should be mourned. So I don’t believe I will apologize for writing the truth, rather I would like an apology for being called a liar where it is not warranted.
If you keep focusing on my personal life, when it’s none of your business, then I believe I will have to report you. So please refrain yourself next time.
This user would like to thank phacel for this useful post:
  #1373  
Old 16.01.2011, 13:23
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
For those knew to the forum Uncle Max and others I have been led to believe are ex-Israeli army and very proud of it. They will not take kindly to the mention of No Israel! They see as anti-semetic, or even as a threat to wipe Israel off the face of the planet. He is a moderator, so you have to explain or be wiped off the face of the forum! Or get temporarily banned for too much cut and paste; as happened to me ( hence the mention of text speak)!

Like I mentioned up above with the Pashosh thing, the devil is in the detail. Your view you may not be banned for directly , but too much cut and paste or untidy text speak will be deemed -'ban-able' p.s. Private messages are also monitored.
Good grief. Are you high?

Private messages are not monitored. Moderators do not have access to them unless included as recipients or when someone reports offensive content and forwards the message.

Stop trolling, hoppy.

Quote:
View Post
...I am very well aware of the happenings in the region since I have lived there for years and have seen first hand the IDF’s terrorist activities.
Wait, the IDF are the terrorists? Ahh, that explains things. I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Here's me tripping on false-memory direct experiences of terrorism from the fragmented, very well financed psychopathic front organisations pretending to be killing in the name of Allah and the poor souls of the Palestinian Territories! Must be the chemtrails / lithium / internet; they distort reality.

The greatest trick the Devil ever played, etc.

Quote:
View Post
Except that Israel is threatening to bomb my mother-in-law, 82 years old, a haji, living alone, barely able to walk never mind run from a bomb, has never condoned violence, never supported Hamas. She's just a sitting duck.
Yes, it's true. In your head.

Quote:
View Post
...I find it disturbing that instead of answering back or encouraging a friendly debate ...
When people join very overdrawn, tedious threads with comments already asserted and countered back on page 519, expect a certain limited tolerance from other posters [of whom there are about 5, a portion of whom curiously find the EF a fertile destination for such commentary]. Comment is free, of course, but it can come across as baiting. Muddling experience with opinion raises backs.

Cheers.
__________________
Wave ¦ Synthpop ¦ 80's ¦ Alternative ¦ Party ¦ Sat 24.03 Provitreff Zurich
This user groans at Uncle Max for this post:
  #1374  
Old 16.01.2011, 15:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
phacel has slipped a little
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Wait, the IDF are the terrorists? Ahh, that explains things. I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Here's me tripping on false-memory direct experiences of terrorism from the fragmented, very well financed psychopathic front organisations pretending to be killing in the name of Allah and the poor souls of the Palestinian Territories! Must be the chemtrails / lithium / internet; they distort reality.

The greatest trick the Devil ever played, etc.

When people join very overdrawn, tedious threads with comments already asserted and countered back on page 519, expect a certain limited tolerance from other posters [of whom there are about 5, a portion of whom curiously find the EF a fertile destination for such commentary]. Comment is free, of course, but it can come across as baiting. Muddling experience with opinion raises backs.
Now you are just trying to mock me. Again instead of focusing on the topic at hand you decide to comment on what you believe my personal experiences were and how they are not applicable. Why don’t you give me proof, provide me with links. Tell me how I’m wrong with a well established argument. This is starting to become rather pointless as instead of trying to convince me of your point or your side, you are more focused on the people who are writing and not the information they are providing.

As for people joining overdrawn tedious threads. Well, they are there for a reason. Because they are still interested and want to join. If you find it so tedious then why bother reading or commenting on it. Either shut it down or ignore it. It’s not as if it’s affecting you personally. Commenting may be free but I find it offensive when instead of focusing on the argument and the points raised you would rather focus on the person writing it.

I’m also wondering whether you truly believe that it’s only terrorism when you kill in the name of Allah (that would mean that Hitler was not a terrorist). I have given many examples and links in the previous posts that can validate my points. If you have something that can refute my arguments and provide me with well-established facts, then I’ll be more than happy to continue. Otherwise I believe I have said all I need to say on this issue and that further arguments are pointless.
  #1375  
Old 16.01.2011, 19:26
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
... This is starting to become rather pointless...
Oh, I agree. You should try moderating it.

Quote:
View Post
As for people joining overdrawn tedious threads. Well, they are there for a reason. Because they are still interested and want to join. If you find it so tedious then why bother reading or commenting on it. Either shut it down or ignore it. It’s not as if it’s affecting you personally.
I refer you to my previous answer.

Quote:
View Post
I’m also wondering whether you truly believe that it’s only terrorism when you kill in the name of Allah
Hang on, you're not tripping too, are you? It's this sort of sloppiness which drags the thread into oblivion...

Quote:
View Post
(that would mean that Hitler was not a terrorist).
Apologies to Godwin.

Quote:
View Post
I have given many examples and links in the previous posts that can validate my points. If you have something that can refute my arguments and provide me with well-established facts, then I’ll be more than happy to continue. Otherwise I believe I have said all I need to say on this issue and that further arguments are pointless.
Hmm, damned if I do and damned if I don't...

(Cheer up, it's Monday tomorrow )
  #1376  
Old 16.01.2011, 20:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 46
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
phacel has slipped a little
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Oh, I agree. You should try moderating it.
I'd rather not.



Quote:
View Post
I refer you to my previous answer.
You haven't really answered anything.


Quote:
View Post
Hang on, you're not tripping too, are you?
It's this sort of sloppiness which drags the thread into oblivion...
One wonders what you're doing in this oblivion, then if its so distasteful to you.



Quote:
View Post
Apologies to Godwin.
I believe Godwin would say no apologies necessary.


Quote:
View Post
Hmm, damned if I do and damned if I don't...
"Damned if you do"?... you haven't really done anything.

You've also proven my point. This thread no longer pertains to the issue it is actually supposed to be about. I believe you yourself have made it rather pointless.
  #1377  
Old 16.01.2011, 20:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
This thread no longer pertains to the issue it is actually supposed to be about.
What? An Israel/Palestine thread? Off-topic?



I think I need a sit down...
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1378  
Old 16.01.2011, 23:25
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
Except that Israel is threatening to bomb my mother-in-law, 82 years old, a haji, living alone, barely able to walk never mind run from a bomb, has never condoned violence, never supported Hamas. She's just a sitting duck.
You groaned at this Uncle max and I don't understand why. She is in Iran and Israel have threatened to bomb Iran, both of these points are true. So either you are disrespecting my mother-in-law for not just reason or you don't know the facts. Since you claim to know the facts (being an ex-Israeli soldier etc.) then it must be disrespect for no reason other than she is Iranian.

Since you neither know my mother-in-law or her political views, you groan reflects a stereotyping and hating Iranians, without just cause. There is a word for that- Racism. If the tables were turned you would probably ask me to explain myself, call me antisemitic and threatened to have me banned if I did not withdraw the groan.

Also you say that it is in all in my head, personal jibes accusing me of being mad because you can't negate what I say.

She is just a little 82 year old lady who can hardly walk and given Israel's record of striking heavily populated areas in an effort to terrorize people into submission could very well get bombed.

I demand an apology. I think it is about time someone less racist moderated this thread.
  #1379  
Old 16.01.2011, 23:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:
View Post
you groan reflects a stereotyping and hating Iranians, without just cause. There is a word for that- Racism.


  #1380  
Old 17.01.2011, 00:13
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Quote:


Actually I have a lot of respect for libertarian Jews and I have said it many times, many of my heroes are Jewish, I just don't like Likud or Netanyahu because of their political views.
At other times I question the Muslim faith.
So I am not racist. I do occasionally point out uncomfortable truths on both sides, which doesn't win friends but does keep me true to myself.
Closed Thread

Tags
arabs, israel, jews, levant, log off, middle east, palestanians and israeli, palestine, peace, pointless thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Birthday Israel Pashosh International affairs/politics 88 30.04.2010 09:14
Israel - Palestine, when will it end Russkov International affairs/politics 1320 05.11.2009 08:29
Replay Revenge - Israel Palestine satire documentary jrspet International affairs/politics 0 02.01.2009 01:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0