Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:45
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
Actually, that's not the case - the village in which we live in Glarnerland couldn't really be described as 'posh', even if it is surrounded by spectacular mountain scenery. It is an industrial village, not dissimilar to the one I grew up in, except that the factories here are still working...

Unlike anywhere I've lived in England, though, people round here have some pride in their surroundings. Fences and walls are well maintained, there is hardly any graffiti, street furniture hasn't been trashed for no good reason, there are rarely broken bottles or puke strewn across the pavement.

It isn't about poverty - it's about respect. Here you can leave a plant pot on the steps outside your house, and not have it smashed up by passing drunks. Here you can have an allotment and not have it ruined by bored kids pulling up all the seedlings. Here you can leave your car on the street and not find footprints on the roof and a smashed window in the morning.

And I'm not trying to compare the Zurich Gold Coast with Moss Side here - I'm comparing like with like: small towns or big villages, with a largely working class population, a few shops, a couple of pubs and a station.

Yet they are worlds apart. Why? Beats me. All I know is that I'd rather live here than there.
All of my relatives and they run across the spectrum have pot plants and can leave them out and know that they will be undisturbed.It helps to have a reputation and RESPEKT.

Seriously though I think it depends on the individual if you stay long enough and work towards building the community then you can find good people, even in Moss Side which I used to walk through on a regular basis. I found the Peckham estates to be a bit dodgy but I was never bothered by anyone; they still have plants and gardens a neighborhood feel, kids playing people hanging out that give a friendly hello in reply to yours.
If you display animosity and contempt then you are bound to get it in return.
In Switzerland I always felt spied on in those concrete blocks-no matter how nice my or their balcony geraniums were. Well I was spied on, and reported to the abwart, that's not friendly!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #222  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,518
Groaned at 491 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
the point being, most houses in cornwall etc are privately owned, its an expensive area, with very little industry or jobs, so to live there you pretty much have to be a person of independent means, or you have to work your arse off to stay there, so you take better care of things and your surroundings.

whereas somewhere like margate, with massive unemployment, an inept corrupt local government etc where a huge percentage of people live in council provided accommodation, have no hope and couldn't give a toss, and you have a toilet, but its like a cancer, and spreads - quickly

and unfortunatly most of the working population in the uk have much of a choice where they live, they live where they can afford that is good for where they work.

gated communities are getting more and more common
So because you "rent" you don't respect the things or your surrounding?

I've actually always been respectable of someone else property when renting.

I don't see the link between "owning a house" and criminal/ abuse behavior in the UK...

Beside shit people who will rob your house, that I've seen very often.
And the lack of police reaction or social protection against that. As you said it's almost as if the police was against you.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:48
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
All of my relatives and they run across the spectrum have pot plants and can leave them out and know that they will be undisturbed.It helps to have a reputation and RESPEKT.

Seriously though I think it depends on the individual if you stay long enough and work towards building the community then you can find good people, even in Moss Side which I used to walk through on a regular basis. I found the Peckham estates to be a bit dodgy but I was never bothered by anyone; they still have plants and gardens a neighborhood feel, kids playing people hanging out that give a friendly hello in reply to yours.
If you display animosity and contempt then you are bound to get it in return.
In Switzerland I always felt spied on in those concrete blocks-no matter how nice my or their balcony geraniums were. Well I was spied on, and reported to the abwart, that's not friendly!

can I just ask

when was the last time you walked through moss side and peckham??

I used to have to drive through peckham, lewisham, brixton etc and they are places you have to have your doors locked, windows closed and anything of any value hidden well out of sight.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at bigblue2 for this post:
  #224  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
If you display animosity and contempt then you are bound to get it in return.
Yeah, but you also 'get it in return' if you've done absolutely nothing to deserve it in the first place.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #225  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:52
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
So because you "rent" you don't respect the things or your surrounding?

I've actually always been respectable of someone else property when renting.

I don't see the link between "owning a house" and criminal/ abuse behavior in the UK...

Beside shit people who will rob your house, that I've seen very often.
And the lack of police reaction or social protection against that. As you said it's almost as if the police was against you.

council accommodation isn't renting, is usually bedsits, in converted death trap hotels.

I don't think the police where against me, I think there hands are totally tied, the pc brigade has hamstrung them, going after the crooks is too hard and mostly pointless, but going after law abiding people is easy, they turn up in court, pay the fines etc and give them a nice little tick in the crime stats.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Heres a very quick test, take a a sample of any street in the UK vs CH.

Look for rubbish on the ground and in the area. Look for badly maintained properties.

There is very little respect or pride in the area in which people live in the UK. It's always "someone elses problem."

There are exceptions but they are rare.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,518
Groaned at 491 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
council accommodation isn't renting, is usually bedsits, in converted death trap hotels.

I don't think the police where against me, I think there hands are totally tied, the pc brigade has hamstrung them, going after the crooks is too hard and mostly pointless, but going after law abiding people is easy, they turn up in court, pay the fines etc and give them a nice little tick in the crime stats.
Yes I agree- Civil servants such as "police man" are only part of the rotten legal system. It's government who are suppose to do something about it- Lead properly, change the law, adapting to the society current issues.

But they're too busy pocketing expense money.

Yes I noticed the "council areas" where dodgy and damaged. Shame that so much people are expressing lack of respect to such extend that they're ruining their own living areas.
Shame that nothing really efficient is done against it.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:58
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
Heres a very quick test, take a a sample of any street in the UK vs CH.

Look for rubbish on the ground and in the area. Look for badly maintained properties.

There is very little respect or pride in the area in which people live in the UK. It's always "someone elses problem."

There are exceptions but they are rare.
Isn't this primarily related to population density? You should have seen the state Basel was in after the 31sy July celebrations. Not to mention all the thrown bottles and the fight in the town centre. I think the greater the population density then the less people care about their environment. Simply because ... if there are 10 of you and one makes a mess, you bollock them. If you live in an estate of 1000 and 100 make a mess, then you give up.

However, that doesn't mean it's not true.

Take an average Swiss city (about 15,000 people*) and it's clean but dull and orderly.
Take an average English city (200,000 people*) and it's dirty and exciting and edgy.

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_Switzerland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #229  
Old 04.08.2011, 17:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
Yes I agree- Civil servants such as "police man" are only part of the rotten legal system. It's government who are suppose to do something about it- Lead properly, change the law, adapting to the society current issues.

But they're too busy pocketing expense money.

Yes I noticed the "council areas" where dodgy and damaged. Shame that so much people are expressing lack of respect to such extend that they're ruining their own living areas.
Shame that nothing really efficient is done against it.
It's not just individuals.

Councils used to have funds to maintain and look after areas and in the early eighties where I grew up in a "council area" it was a beautiful, safe place, 20 odd years later that tax money has been rerouted to those in need in Central London in shiny buildings.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
Isn't this primarily related to population density? You should have seen the state Basel was in after the 31sy July celebrations. Not to mention all the thrown bottles and the fight in the town centre. I think the greater the population density then the less people care about their environment. Simply because ... if there are 10 of you and one makes a mess, you bollock them. If you live in an estate of 1000 and 100 make a mess, then you give up.
No, have you ever been to Stockholm? That's the point you don't just give up as it's not acceptable to live in a shit hole.

Aye but the day after it was cleaned up right? All back to normally in CH. That doesn't happen in the UK.

Now we introduce the sceptical "broken window theory"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Last edited by Cata1yst; 04.08.2011 at 18:06. Reason: BWT
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #231  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:01
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
I don't think the police where against me, I think there hands are totally tied, the pc brigade has hamstrung them
How has the PC brigade hamstrung the police?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #232  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
How has the PC brigade hamstrung the police?
There's no fear of the police anymore and the chav scam know their rights to a cosy cell and a mcdonalds.

Gone are the days of a copper giving someone a beating for misbehaving to keep these individuals in check...
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #233  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:14
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,044
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 815 Times in 422 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
So DB, what you are trying to say is all of CH is chocolate box beautiful, so thats ok .... if that is how you judge a society. But thankfully most of Britian is not Cannock, Staylebridge or Croyden
For some people in Switzerland the grass is never greener on the other side.
And to all those people bitching about British taxes being high. Sure it's high compared to Switzerland but check out the Tax Freedom Day stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_fre...European_Union

It ain't that bad compared to the rest of Europe. Stop whinging.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
For some people in Switzerland the grass is never greener on the other side.
And to all those people bitching about British taxes being high. Sure it's high compared to Switzerland but check out the Tax Freedom Day stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_fre...European_Union

It ain't that bad compared to the rest of Europe. Stop whinging.
Who's whinging?

I don't have to live there!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #235  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:17
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
Gone are the days of a copper giving someone a beating for misbehaving to keep these individuals in check...
Isn't that coz they kept beating the wrong ones?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #236  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that coz they kept beating the wrong ones?
It's a percentage game they probably got 99% right, so the 1% wrong is worth the sacrifice.

Usually career criminals were in line for that sort of treatment and wife beaters/kiddie fiddlers. My old man was a copper in the 70's some great stories.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:29
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Quote:
View Post
It's a percentage game they probably got 99% right, so the 1% wrong is worth the sacrifice.

Usually career criminals were in line for that sort of treatment and wife beaters/kiddie fiddlers. My old man was a copper in the 70's some great stories.
Uhmmm, I'm sure your figures are reliable, but from I understand it, that 1% rose depending on colour.

Also, you're talking about the police acting outside the law and saying accidentally beating an innocent person is OK. It's an easy sacrifice to make so long as you think it'll never happen to you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #238  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:29
AFC AFC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 138
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 136 Times in 70 Posts
AFC has made some interesting contributions
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

[QUOTE=Cata1yst;1288155]




How many reasons do you need 1 or 100?
We certainly will never return!
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:31
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

[QUOTE=AFC;1288170]
Quote:
View Post




How many reasons do you need 1 or 100?
We certainly will never return!
As you offered , give us 97 reasons why?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #240  
Old 04.08.2011, 18:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do people hate the UK ?

Basically there is good and bad everywhere, and both the UK and CH, have a lot more good than many other places, if you see what I mean. I love both, in a very different manner- and am very happy to have a part of my heart and soul in each, and hope I always will. We might even return to the UK at some time- without fear or prejudice, and with an open mind.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
norwich is nice, return of the british!, somerset is also nice




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do so many people hate Michael Moore? Hugh Osborne International affairs/politics 64 31.05.2010 22:59
I hate it when people are late sygirl101 Complaints corner 69 14.11.2009 12:59
I really hate when Swiss people talk in German in front of me... Tweener Complaints corner 108 03.10.2008 15:54
Why I HATE Switzerland. gurutalon Complaints corner 309 30.07.2008 12:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0