Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.02.2010, 09:54
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,307
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,412 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

A millionaire businessman, John Nichols, has been jailed for causing death by dangerous driving despite not being behind the wheel in the first case of its kind in legal history.

daily telegraph link


hm...this is interesting, i have been in similar situations, i have to admit i know quite a few swiss friends who do not drive home sober (not just swiss but i've definately witnessed it more here) but now it's up to us passengers to be responsible too...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank swissotter for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 05.02.2010, 10:10
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 878
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 448 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
A millionaire businessman, John Nichols, has been jailed for causing death by dangerous driving despite not being behind the wheel in the first case of its kind in legal history.

daily telegraph link


hm...this is interesting, i have been in similar situations, i have to admit i know quite a few swiss friends who do not drive home sober (not just swiss but i've definately witnessed it more here) but now it's up to us passengers to be responsible too...

The UK certainly has a big alcohol problem at the moment and often alcohol is used as an excuse for irresponsible behaviour so I understand the publicity point of a sentence like this.

At first I thought 4 years seemed excessive until I read the details and that "I'll never forget how John Nichols behaved at the scene of the crash. He didn't seem to have a care in the world. He was just so arrogant." Reminds me of a story from a few years ago when our local doctor was at the scene of an accident where the owner of the Range Rover which had ploughed through the central reservation, crashing into an oncoming car was offering money at the scene to the parents of the baby decapitated in the crash. Some folk are just so repulsive they deserve to be locked away.

It is perverse that both the folk in the car walked away after a 180kph crash.
__________________
Expat In Switzerland website and FREE monthly e-newsletter containing articles on life in Switzerland & what's on events guide
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Swissmountainair for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.02.2010, 10:10
bad hare day's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rochester , Kent. GB
Posts: 406
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 122 Posts
bad hare day has an excellent reputationbad hare day has an excellent reputationbad hare day has an excellent reputationbad hare day has an excellent reputation
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

i think under uk law all passengers in a car are co_responsible and by allowing your driver/ chauffer to drive while confused by liquids you are condoning his behaviour. likewise when in car being driven dangerously, though the licence holder is ultimately the one to carry the can.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.02.2010, 10:11
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,289
Groaned at 68 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
drive while confused by liquids
--- cute ---
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.02.2010, 10:17
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,307
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,412 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

he was jailed as he was also under the influence, my question would be, what if he was sober? i guess that would mean he would have been driving instead (we hope)
...alot of questions to ponder...
i just miss having cheap taxis to take (that solves so many problems IMO )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swissotter for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:09
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Am I understanding correctly that he's charged (mainly) because it is HIS car and he let her drive it knowing she was intoxicated...?

If this is the case, I think that is actually pretty fantastic. I think auto owners should be responsible enough to either stay sober or make sure they have a sober designated driver.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
Am I understanding correctly that he's charged (mainly) because it is HIS car and he let her drive it knowing she was intoxicated...?

If this is the case, I think that is actually pretty fantastic. I think auto owners should be responsible enough to either stay sober or make sure they have a sober designated driver.
I think also his attitude at the crime scene did not make things easier for him...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:14
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 975 Times in 605 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

So if it was her car he would not have been charged? Anybody know?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:16
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

I don't think that at all. I don't see how he is responsible. Morally, yes the guy's a d*ck for just watching her, but doesn't saying he is part culpable imply that she is less than 100% culpable? She was the one who got drunk and drove, he didn't encourage it as far as we know.


Quote:
View Post
Am I understanding correctly that he's charged (mainly) because it is HIS car and he let her drive it knowing she was intoxicated...?

If this is the case, I think that is actually pretty fantastic. I think auto owners should be responsible enough to either stay sober or make sure they have a sober designated driver.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
I don't think that at all. I don't see how he is responsible. Morally, yes the guy's a d*ck for just watching her, but doesn't saying he is part culpable imply that she is less than 100% culpable? She was the one who got drunk and drove, he didn't encourage it as far as we know.
I think he pretended to be someone else (he pretended not to have bene in the car) and tried to obstruct investigations at the crime scene.
I say good he was jailed!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:20
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 878
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 448 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Its not like they were taking it easy either. Knowing they'd been drinking if they insisted on driving they could have at least gone slow but 180kph
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:22
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Yeah OK but I'd be happy if fans of Titanic were jailed too. I don't think they should be because I don't think being a fan of Titanic should be a crime (unless of taste). As I said, the guy sounds like a complete d*ck. Still, can't figure out how he's culpable for sitting in a car and not stopping a crime. If you saw a murder and did nothing to stop it you wouldn't be culpable. He didn't help her drive the car or encourage it as far as we know.


Quote:
View Post
I think he pretended to be someone else (he pretended not to have bene in the car) and tried to obstruct investigations at the crime scene.
I say good he was jailed!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
Yeah OK but I'd be happy if fans of Titanic were jailed too. I don't think they should be because I don't think being a fan of Titanic should be a crime (unless of taste). As I said, the guy sounds like a complete d*ck. Still, can't figure out how he's culpable for sitting in a car and not stopping a crime. If you saw a murder and did nothing to stop it you wouldn't be culpable. He didn't help her drive the car or encourage it as far as we know.
Fans of titanic?
About your example, if you give your car to a drunk person maybe it could be considered as a facilitator? Considering also he was with her and was going over a (probably) legal speed limit... Do not know anything about law though.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:30
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

The article I read yesterday said that he told her to drive th car and did not ask her to slow down when she was speeding. I can only assume that both these acts led the jusdge to beleive he was jointly responsible for the crash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/8494422.stm

Quote:
View Post
I don't think that at all. I don't see how he is responsible. Morally, yes the guy's a d*ck for just watching her, but doesn't saying he is part culpable imply that she is less than 100% culpable? She was the one who got drunk and drove, he didn't encourage it as far as we know.

Last edited by Lou; 05.02.2010 at 11:33. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:31
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 878
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 448 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
Fans of titanic?
About your example, if you give your car to a drunk person maybe it could be considered as a facilitator? Considering also he was with her and was going over a (probably) legal speed limit... Do not know anything about law though.
Exactly. I think the point that it was his car is key here. Looking at it another way if he owned a pistol and gave it to an inebriate to shoot would he be held in any way responsible? Plus the guy's behaviour has to be taken into account. He does not sound like a loss to society.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:33
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
If you saw a murder and did nothing to stop it you wouldn't be culpable. He didn't help her drive the car or encourage it as far as we know.
Actually you can be done for not helping. You can also be done for murder if your with a group of friend and one of them murders someone.

He was done because he was drunk, she was drunk and it was his car, he shouldn't have let her drive, and of course he was a total prick with the police which made them want to do him even more.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:37
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

OK fair enough.
Quote:
View Post
Actually you can be done for not helping. You can also be done for murder if your with a group of friend and one of them murders someone.

He was done because he was drunk, she was drunk and it was his car, he shouldn't have let her drive, and of course he was a total prick with the police which made them want to do him even more.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:38
elgin_ed's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 68
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 61 Times in 33 Posts
elgin_ed has no particular reputation at present
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

being a total prick is not in itself a crime though.

If he was all apologetic and crying at the scene does that mean he should have been let off ?

My personal feeling is he should be jailed. But not sure about the legal side of things.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:42
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

Quote:
View Post
being a total prick is not in itself a crime though.

If he was all apologetic and crying at the scene does that mean he should have been let off ?

My personal feeling is he should be jailed. But not sure about the legal side of things.
no being a prick isn't a crime, but its the police who decide if a file should be passed to the CPS for prosecution. I'm not saying if he had been remorseful he'd have got away with, but lying to the police and being arrogant to them is never going to help your cause.

and as far as I'm aware allowing a drunk person to drive your car has always been an offence.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.02.2010, 11:44
goodhill's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ZH
Posts: 192
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 67 Times in 41 Posts
goodhill has earned some respectgoodhill has earned some respect
Re: Millionaire jailed for death by dangerous driving despite not being at the wheel

he is likened to the accomplice in a crime. Even if he didn't act like a b**stard, it wouldn't have made him less guilty...

I'd like to question if I may...

Two people drive home drunk, and one hits and kills a pedastrain. Is one less criminal than the other? How guilty should one feel about the difference between accidents that happen and accidents that could have happened?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drunk passenger




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slumdog Millionaire wins 8 Oscars Ebony General off-topic 4 18.11.2009 19:11
Man jailed for urinating on dying woman! Brianb_ie General off-topic 34 18.09.2008 01:57
One in 25 Swiss taxpayers is a millionaire! RetiredInNH Swiss politics/news 11 13.11.2007 18:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0