Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #261  
Old 26.02.2011, 19:39
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,352
Groaned at 281 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 14,416 Times in 4,427 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Imagine if all the energy and money from these abortion debates were put into preventing pregnancies through education, increasing confidence in our teenagers and acceptance of contraceptives, how many fewer abortions we would have.

Prevention is the key.

Just ask Smokey the Bear: Remember, only you can prevent forest fires.
The following 6 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #262  
Old 26.02.2011, 19:48
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

You know the show Embarassing Bodies? They sometimes provide very shoking numbers of lack of protections in teen and adult population!

I am very shocked to see that TODAY, a huge amount of people still not use any protections when it comes to avoid pregnancies and sexual desease...

Hell lots of work to do.
  #263  
Old 26.02.2011, 19:53
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 96 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,338 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
Her first post and she's been groaned at 5 times. Someone's given her negative rep.
I hardly think the emotive content of her post warrants that. And I'm still non the wiser as to why you groaned it.
Nice mobbing guys. And we wonder why some people are afraid to post or express their valid points and feelings.
I just tthink it's a bit sad that's all.
I really don't understand how you can't see that by me groaning the post, I was disagreeing with everything said in it?!

Not mobbing. You get a one post wonder who comes in to post on a long-dormant thread about an extremely flammable topic. No intro, no posting on any other threads, just a preach about why women should feel a burning desire to breed. No purpose in life except to breed? I don't think so. (oh, and her 9 year old would survive just fine for a week without her, or did kids in Victorian times not survive at the same age as they worked in factories, farms or up chimneys?)
The following 4 users would like to thank evilshell for this useful post:
  #264  
Old 26.02.2011, 20:00
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
I really don't understand how you can't see that by me groaning the post, I was disagreeing with everything said in it?!

Not mobbing. You get a one post wonder who comes in to post on a long-dormant thread about an extremely flammable topic. No intro, no posting on any other threads, just a preach about why women should feel a burning desire to breed. No purpose in life except to breed? I don't think so. (oh, and her 9 year old would survive just fine for a week without her, or did kids in Victorian times not survive at the same age as they worked in factories, farms or up chimneys?)
I agree with you!

I was writting something and I stop in the middle realising my lost of interest into explaining something so damn obvious.

The whole post is just wrong in so many level. She failed to see that and prefer to jump on the nastiness of people who groaned instead of reading and trying to really understand what the post was about and why it deserve a groan from so many people.

Yes the forum is falling in some nastiness (again). But it is not an excuse for everything and you can't scream fire for a burned toast.

Last edited by Nil; 26.02.2011 at 23:47.
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #265  
Old 27.02.2011, 00:59
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,036
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 417 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
I really don't understand how you can't see that by me groaning the post, I was disagreeing with everything said in it?!

Not mobbing. You get a one post wonder who comes in to post on a long-dormant thread about an extremely flammable topic. No intro, no posting on any other threads, just a preach about why women should feel a burning desire to breed. No purpose in life except to breed? I don't think so. (oh, and her 9 year old would survive just fine for a week without her, or did kids in Victorian times not survive at the same age as they worked in factories, farms or up chimneys?)
That's ridiulous. She made an emotive point but it wasn't nasty or bitter, just passionate/emotive.
I can only surmise from your groan that you've had an abortion yourself and feel a little bit of guilt. Otherwise why on earth would you groan a first post for something like that? I don't get it.
I started this thread and it's been really interesting to hear from both sides of the fence.
Just cos you don't agree. Come on give her a break. First post. She's saying what many other (not all or the majority of) people think on the other side of your fence. What would you do in public if you met her the first time and she expressed an idea on this subject opposite to yours? Ignore her, walk away, give her a piece of your mind, hit her, round up a lynch mob and hang her? Come on her post was not offensive in any way.
Plus there's no rule that you have to give an introduction here.
The following 7 users groan at higgybaby for this post:
  #266  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
I can only surmise from your groan that you've had an abortion yourself and feel a little bit of guilt.
And we can only surmise from your stupid and offensive comment that you are a compulsive public onanist.

Two can play at that game, Higgybaby.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #267  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:05
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,036
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 417 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
And we can only surmise from your stupid and offensive comment that you are a compulsive public onanist.

Two can play at that game, Higgybaby.
Oh here we go again. The old guard. Pile on in everybody.
  #268  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
Oh here we go again. The old guard. Pile on in everybody.
You made a deeply offensive and unwarranted accusation against another member. If you get piled on as a result, you thoroughly deserve it.

It's obvious you hate women, Higgybaby, but there's no reason to rub our noses in it with every post you make.

Act like a prick and you'll be treated like a prick.
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #269  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:10
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,036
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 417 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
You made a deeply offensive and unwarranted accusation against another member. If you get piled on as a result, you thoroughly deserve it.

It's obvious you hate women, Higgybaby, but there's no reason to rub our noses in it with every post you make.

Act like a prick and you'll be treated like a prick.
I guess you are drunk while on-line. Not good.
This user groans at higgybaby for this post:
  #270  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
I guess you are drunk while on-line. Not good.
Stone cold sober. Unlike you, obviously.

No fornication this evening, old chap?
  #271  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:18
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,036
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 417 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
Stone cold sober. Unlike you, obviously.

No fornication this evening, old chap?
zzzzzzz, time for bed Dougal?
People need to stand up and be counted against the EF Stasi sometimes. Sorry guys.
  #272  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
zzzzzzz, time for bed Dougal?
People need to stand up and be counted against the EF Stasi sometimes. Sorry guys.
You are the one being the bully here, Higgybaby. Your accusation against Evilshell was vile and uncalled for.

Do you disagree?
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #273  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:35
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 96 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,338 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
That's ridiulous. She made an emotive point but it wasn't nasty or bitter, just passionate/emotive.
I can only surmise from your groan that you've had an abortion yourself and feel a little bit of guilt. Otherwise why on earth would you groan a first post for something like that? I don't get it.
I started this thread and it's been really interesting to hear from both sides of the fence.
Just cos you don't agree. Come on give her a break. First post. She's saying what many other (not all or the majority of) people think on the other side of your fence. What would you do in public if you met her the first time and she expressed an idea on this subject opposite to yours? Ignore her, walk away, give her a piece of your mind, hit her, round up a lynch mob and hang her? Come on her post was not offensive in any way.
Plus there's no rule that you have to give an introduction here.
Well, that was insulting.

For the record, no, I've not had an abortion. However, it is none of your damned business if I had.

I groaned the person because of the reasons stated in my post above. I was offended by the opinions expressed. You post flammable material, you take the consequences of it. End of story.

If I met her in person and she spouted what she did out of the blue like that, in the fashion that it was done (quite some time after the discussion had ended) I'd ask what she was smoking. And I'd point out her fallacies.
The following 7 users would like to thank evilshell for this useful post:
  #274  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:39
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,036
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 417 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
You are the one being the bully here, Higgybaby. Your accusation against Evilshell was vile and uncalled for.

Do you disagree?
It wasn't an accusation Mr Rotweiller. Sorry if it caused offence. I can't square the circle of her groan.
This user groans at higgybaby for this post:
  #275  
Old 27.02.2011, 02:02
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,569
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,002 Times in 1,826 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
I can't square the circle of her groan.
There's no requirement to verbally justify groans, yet Evilshell has explained why she groaned, but the explanation doesn't suit you . Looking at the Statistics you are far more apt to groan than Evilshell and indeed than most of the posters on here, including what I assume is the old-guard you reference.
The following 3 users would like to thank Mud for this useful post:
  #276  
Old 27.02.2011, 02:25
higgybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,036
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 417 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
You are the one being the bully here, Higgybaby. Your accusation against Evilshell was vile and uncalled for.

Do you disagree?
That's utter rubbish. I was sticking up for first time poster mayrbrent who I've never even met because I felt 'SHE' was bullied (by groaning, I realise now that evilshel may not have realised it was her first post - sorry).
I try put to my head above the parapet when I see the old guard acting like jackals.
Sorry, is that so wrong? This forum seems to be a scary place to voice your opinion sometimes and I try occasionally (cos it's quite intimidating) to stick up for people (sorry members) who are pilliaried. What's wrong with that?
Sorry evilshel.
This user groans at higgybaby for this post:
  #277  
Old 27.02.2011, 02:42
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 96 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,338 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
That's utter rubbish. I was sticking up for first time poster mayrbrent who I've never even met because I felt 'SHE' was bullied (by groaning, I realise now that evilshel may not have realised it was her first post - sorry).
I try put to my head above the parapet when I see the old guard acting like jackals.
Sorry, is that so wrong? This forum seems to be a scary place to voice your opinion sometimes and I try occasionally (cos it's quite intimidating) to stick up for people (sorry members) who are pilliaried. What's wrong with that?
Sorry evilshel.
Yes, I knew that was the person's first post. Please stop trying to read my mind or put words in my mouth that aren't there.
  #278  
Old 27.02.2011, 08:09
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Higgybaby,

You can give your opinion who can go in the opposite direction of everybody else. The way you express it is the key for creating a good debate based on mutual respect.

You can have 10000000 posts or 1. It doesn't protect you against it. She was judgemental and plain rude. If she wanted to express her opinion in a positive and constructive way, no one would have groan her.

And your behavior was absolutely disgraceful. You should be ashame of yourself to post offensive affirmations like that.
The following 3 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #279  
Old 27.02.2011, 08:11
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,130
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

Quote:
View Post
Why then shouldn't we be able to kill babies that are born as well? They wouldn't be able to survive on its own.
Quote:
View Post
While I certainly don't agree with the idea put as a question here, it is put as a question.
I did forget to say though, that a new member who doesn't write an introduction and then wades into a thread on a very controversial subject, cannot expect the tiny extra portion of indulgence we sometimes afford Newbies.
The following 3 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #280  
Old 27.02.2011, 08:34
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,026
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,459 Times in 9,028 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ever Commercial For Abortion on British TV

There has been an eyebrow raising edginess past couple of weeks here, I am not sure why would one even go out of one's way and on top of the recent silly posts dig out a thread that will always result in a heated debate...Pretty strange . People behave strangely when they think online anonymity is protecting them.

Btw, don't newbies deserve to be groaned as well if they post something groan worthy? I don't dish out groans personally, it is better to take the time and voice opinion, but if people are stiring a fight at one in the morning, it is usually not because they want to debate over some matter, in a decent and mature way.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
Closed Thread

Tags
abortion




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switzerland's abortion issue olygirl Swiss politics/news 158 23.10.2014 22:03
Commercial Liability Insurance keandro Business & entrepreneur 1 26.01.2010 17:52
Abortion candy_87 Family matters/health 1 01.05.2008 02:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0