Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 21.06.2010, 14:53
Chicago's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 57 Posts
Chicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of many
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Of course you are describing Maslow’s Pyramid which was the point in the first place. Now take that to the level of an entire culture. You currently find masses of those poor people without water, food, money in countries with high natural resources and extreme wealth potential. What is it about the culture that it allows such errors to develop to such a level? There is currently enough basic supplies to feed and shelter everyone.

We see the income discrepancy phenomena creeping in the western world as well today. Why have western cultures with strong education systems allowed the power to shift to those unwilling to address these issues? While simultaneously the wealth creation in developing countries is growing at a rapid pace. But, not in an equal or balanced distribution.

Why do we see incredible growth in education systems and wealth creation across society in some western/eastern/African countries and not in others? How is culture influencing these actions? It is very interesting don’t you think? How does a small island country like Japan build, drive, and maintain such an economic command in the world after having been driven down to almost nothing in World War II?

I wish that more people were interested in learning from the strengths of other cultures instead of focusing on self aggrandizing their own perceived strengths or criticizing the differences of others.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chicago for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 21.06.2010, 14:54
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,701 Times in 3,745 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
My approach is to rate a civilization on its treatment of its weaker members. Rank the civilizations / cultures on the globe today by their treatment of:

1. Women
2. Children
3. The handicapped
4. The poor

Western civilization wins hands down.
I also highly rate the fact that there are no individuals who are excluded / down-trodden simply because of who their parents are / were. No slaves (Africa, Middle East and the various 'stans heading east towards China ), no untouchables (India).
These are the fundamentals that matter to me.
Regarding the other topics brought up:

1. Racism is unfortunately everywhere, and I witnessed the worst examples during my time in the developing world.

2. One man's exploitation is another man's job. Yes, stitching footballs may be a tough job for a kid, but it's better than starving and / or selling themselves on the street. Every time the word went out that we wanted men to dig a trench when I worked in Africa, three times as many men would turn up as we needed from the local villages, including kids. They would be begging us to take them on to dig all day in the hot sun. The daily wage for this work? USD 2.50.

3. Civilizations throughout history have exploited each other and each other's resources. There have been winners and losers on both sides. Please don't try to convince me that all the different cultures in the developing world were dancing through the forest together singing kum-ba-ya before the evil westerners turned up. They were fighting each other tooth and nail.
Regarding exploitation of resources, the colonists barely scraped the surface. There are still more mineral / hydrocarbon resources left in the ground in Africa / Asia / South America than anyone could dream of (and the Chinese are currently ripping them out as fast as possible). Establish rule of law, protect property rights, don't screw the foreign investors too hard and things improve very quickly. Tanzania is roaring away at the moment.

I am not naiive enough to think that this western civilization will last forever. There is a quotation somewhere that runs along the lines of; "We in the west like to think that our position at the top of the pile is somehow God given, everyone else has never forgotten that it is because we are better at fighting in groups." or something like this...

Cheers

Jim
Thank you for that, very well put.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:00
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
My approach is to rate a civilization on its treatment of its weaker members. Rank the civilizations / cultures on the globe today by their treatment of:

1. Women
2. Children
3. The handicapped
4. The poor

Western civilization wins hands down.
I also highly rate the fact that there are no individuals who are excluded / down-trodden simply because of who their parents are / were. No slaves (Africa, Middle East and the various 'stans heading east towards China ), no untouchables (India).
These are the fundamentals that matter to me.
Regarding the other topics brought up:

1. Racism is unfortunately everywhere, and I witnessed the worst examples during my time in the developing world.

2. One man's exploitation is another man's job. Yes, stitching footballs may be a tough job for a kid, but it's better than starving and / or selling themselves on the street. Every time the word went out that we wanted men to dig a trench when I worked in Africa, three times as many men would turn up as we needed from the local villages, including kids. They would be begging us to take them on to dig all day in the hot sun. The daily wage for this work? USD 2.50.

3. Civilizations throughout history have exploited each other and each other's resources. There have been winners and losers on both sides. Please don't try to convince me that all the different cultures in the developing world were dancing through the forest together singing kum-ba-ya before the evil westerners turned up. They were fighting each other tooth and nail.
Regarding exploitation of resources, the colonists barely scraped the surface. There are still more mineral / hydrocarbon resources left in the ground in Africa / Asia / South America than anyone could dream of (and the Chinese are currently ripping them out as fast as possible). Establish rule of law, protect property rights, don't screw the foreign investors too hard and things improve very quickly. Tanzania is roaring away at the moment.

I am not naiive enough to think that this western civilization will last forever. There is a quotation somewhere that runs along the lines of; "We in the west like to think that our position at the top of the pile is somehow God given, everyone else has never forgotten that it is because we are better at fighting in groups." or something like this...

Cheers

Jim
I like your simplistic approach. But if you go further West.. you end up back in the East

But I would still say its not about Eastern or Western, but more about being well fed. When the West was busy witch hunting, East was making similar proclaimations, as west is now.

Infact East and West is stupid way of looking at things.

Also the "We are most modern and best etc.." People in 80's thought they were the best, and so in 90s and in 00's. Persians thought they were the best, and so did the Romans, Arabs and Turks and whoever.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dervaish for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:08
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
My approach is to rate a civilization on its treatment of its weaker members. Rank the civilizations / cultures on the globe today by their treatment of:

1. Women
2. Children
3. The handicapped
4. The poor

Western civilization wins hands down.

(bla bla bla removed)

Jim
Before entering into the details of your argumentation, can you tell us when you date the beginning of "western civilization"?
It seems that you forgot in your evaluation what happened between 1850-1960 (roughly) when segregation, slavery, exploitation colonialism was in the heart of europe/western world.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:08
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,701 Times in 3,745 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Correct, all times at every time was modern but was is the best?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:14
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,701 Times in 3,745 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Before entering into the details of your argumentation, can you tell us when you date the beginning of "western civilization"?
It seems that you forgot in your evaluation what happened between 1850-1960 (roughly) when segregation, slavery, exploitation colonialism was in the heart of europe/western world.
Also true, however there is one thing missing and that is the ability of a culture to develop, learn and change, for better or worst only future historians will have the right to decide and only to the morals of their own period.
For us at the moment we are lucky, no very lucky to live in a culture that can adapt and change, no it goes further, a culture that allows and needs change to survive, a culture that has gotten over resorting to utilizing state resources to force the citizens to conformity and at the same time uses the system to keep benevolent cultural boundaries.
It has been said that a hungry man is a angry man, you can not build a culture with a angry man, so he must be pacified by cable TV and cold beer or put down.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:15
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
How does a small island country like Japan build, drive, and maintain such an economic command in the world after having been driven down to almost nothing in World War II?
Maybe its due to acting as a clearing house for US bonds and printed currency?

How much do you know about Japanese culture? It can be the most racist, discriminatory and oppressive if you go into details. Industrialization might have created jobs for the commoners, and made them self sufficient, but intrinsicly its very Feudal.

Quote:
View Post
Correct, all times at every time was modern but was is the best?
Unless you have lived through different cultures, in different stages of history, you cannot judge that
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:26
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,347
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,665 Times in 8,564 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe its due to acting as a clearing house for US bonds and printed currency?

How much do you know about Japanese culture? It can be the most racist, discriminatory and oppressive if you go into details. Industrialization might have created jobs for the commoners, and made them self sufficient, but intrinsicly its very Feudal.



Unless you have lived through different cultures, in different stages of history, you cannot judge that
Do you have to take an otherwise interesting topic down with banal and rubbish derailing again?

1. Japan is probably pretty discriminating as a society. Did not stop them from becoming an industrial power house. I would go so far that losing the war actually helped in the long run: The same was true for Germany. If you were literally sitting in the rubble and had to start from scratch, you could get it right in many ways and build a stronger and more modern society than the ones who afterwards struggeled with their old skeletons in the wardrobes (for example their "colonies").
Japan is in no way self sufficient, but an entirely export oriented country... and not intrinsic, but very well connected in the world economy.

2. No, I do not need to have physically been to the Roman empire to judge from here that they were in pretty much any aspect world leading. What have the Romans ever done for us? Seriously WTF...
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Before entering into the details of your argumentation, can you tell us when you date the beginning of "western civilization"?
It seems that you forgot in your evaluation what happened between 1850-1960 (roughly) when segregation, slavery, exploitation colonialism was in the heart of europe/western world.
its not a historical question. it's a present day setting. so its the situation now, this day.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:29
Chicago's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 57 Posts
Chicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of many
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post

I wish that more people were interested in learning from the strengths of other cultures instead of focusing on self aggrandizing their own perceived strengths or criticizing the differences of others.
Acknowledgement of problems and weaknesses in a culture does not negate the positive aspects of a culture.

Why is it when someone points out something positive there is an instant backlash almost attach with a list of negatives? As if there is nothing positive about the achievements of that culture/society.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:40
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Do you have to take an otherwise interesting topic down with banal and rubbish derailing again?

1. Japan is probably pretty discriminating as a society. Did not stop them from becoming an industrial power house. I would go so far that losing the war actually helped in the long run: The same was true for Germany. If you were literally sitting in the rubble and had to start from scratch, you could get it right in many ways and build a stronger and more modern society than the ones who afterwards struggeled with their old skeletons in the wardrobes (for example their "colonies").
Japan is in no way self sufficient, but an entirely export oriented country... and not intrinsic, but very well connected in the world economy.
Having a bad day?

I was responding to the questions put forward. The thread is about culture - what makes it good or bad. And my argument was having or nothaving a cosy life influences people's behaviours and collective action of people constitute their perceived culture.

Quote:
View Post
2. No, I do not need to have physically been to the Roman empire to judge from here that they were in pretty much any aspect world leading. What have the Romans ever done for us? Seriously WTF...
Material inventions are not relevant. Romans went through the whole cycle, they had their high end and then the downright exploitation and wars towards its end.

But ofcourse you dont need to know anything to make your judgements.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dervaish for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Before entering into the details of your argumentation, can you tell us when you date the beginning of "western civilization"?
It seems that you forgot in your evaluation what happened between 1850-1960 (roughly) when segregation, slavery, exploitation colonialism was in the heart of europe/western world.

This is BS on so many levels that I don't know where to start. The first european to cross Africa from the Horn of Africa to Dakar did it from 1872 - 1876. Europeans never left the coastal enclaves until the early - mid 1900's. Just how did they oppress 99.9 % of Africans who had never seen a westerner?
Slavery is endemic today, in all its vileness, right across Africa and the rest of the developing world. Western culture is unique in its rejection of slavery, a rejection that was formalised in law in England in 1880. This led to the Ashanti uprising in Ghana (prior to this, the powerful and wealthy Ashanti had happily traded gold, cloth, ivory and slaves with the English). Furious that the slaving contracts were torn up and egged on / armed by the French, they launched a bloody rebellion.
The Tartars raided for slaves all around the coasts of Europe, including Cork and the south coast of England in the medieval times, by your logic, I should define myself and my interactions with anyone of Tartar descent by this fact.
If you want to see real exploitation, check out what the Chinese are doing in Africa. They are the preferred business partner for African rulers (despots), as they just pay directly to the Swiss bank accounts and don't ask awkward questions about oppression, torture, corruption etc.

I consider western culture to have its roots in Plato and the other early Greeks, starting in about 800 BC, and subsequently heavily influenced by Jewish and Christian mysticism. More than 2800 years old. Even if the interval you describe was the absolute nadir of the entire period (and it certainly was not), you are talking about 3.5%.

Please put down the can of Kool-Aid, you've drunk enough already. And maybe now you have got a free hand, educate yourself by reading a proper history book, that lays out history objectively, and not a revisionist history book that sees history as nothing more than a convenient grievance mine.

Cheers

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:49
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
This is BS on so many levels that I don't know where to start. The first european to cross Africa from the Horn of Africa to Dakar did it from 1872 - 1876. Europeans never left the coastal enclaves until the early - mid 1900's. Just how did they oppress 99.9 % of Africans who had never seen a westerner?
Slavery is endemic today, in all its vileness, right across Africa and the rest of the developing world. Western culture is unique in its rejection of slavery, a rejection that was formalised in law in England in 1880. This led to the Ashanti uprising in Ghana (prior to this, the powerful and wealthy Ashanti had happily traded gold, cloth, ivory and slaves with the English). Furious that the slaving contracts were torn up and egged on / armed by the French, they launched a bloody rebellion.
The Tartars raided for slaves all around the coasts of Europe, including Cork and the south coast of England in the medieval times, by your logic, I should define myself and my interactions with anyone of Tartar descent by this fact.
If you want to see real exploitation, check out what the Chinese are doing in Africa. They are the preferred business partner for African rulers (despots), as they just pay directly to the Swiss bank accounts and don't ask awkward questions about oppression, torture, corruption etc.

I consider western culture to have its roots in Plato and the other early Greeks, starting in about 800 BC, and subsequently heavily influenced by Jewish and Christian mysticism. More than 2800 years old. Even if the interval you describe was the absolute nadir of the entire period (and it certainly was not), you are talking about 3.5%.

Please put down the can of Kool-Aid, you've drunk enough already. And maybe now you have got a free hand, educate yourself by reading a proper history book, that lays out history objectively, and not a revisionist history book that sees history as nothing more than a convenient grievance mine.

Cheers

Jim
I think you have a serious personality problem if you need to be agressive in order to feel smart. Apparently you have no clue about the triangular trade. I stop wasting my time with you. You will have a nice rest in my ignore list.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 21.06.2010, 15:58
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
I think you have a serious personality problem if you need to be agressive in order to feel smart. Apparently you have no clue about the triangular trade. I stop wasting my time with you. You will have a nice rest in my ignore list.
Its a common problem with people who read selective eras of history.

He jumped to the abolishing of slavery in 18th century by English, overlooking other cultures who had done that long before i.e. Arabs in early centuries.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 21.06.2010, 16:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
I like your simplistic approach. But if you go further West.. you end up back in the East
"There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers." R. Reagan

Judaism and Christianity have much more in common with Hindu mysticism than the other religions that sprouted up with them in the same area at the same times. There is intriguing evidence that Jesus spent a long time in N. India.

Cheers

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 21.06.2010, 16:01
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Its a common problem with people who read selective eras of history.

He jumped to the abolishing of slavery in 18th century by English, overlooking other cultures who had done that long before i.e. Arabs in early centuries.
Yeah, i think he is a "white power" view of the world...he's playing the "El Gringo" bringing wealth and light to poor third world slaves.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 21.06.2010, 16:06
Chicago's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 57 Posts
Chicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of many
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

How sad, this topic had so much potential to be interesting. It seems to have gone a rye.

Bye for now. Maybe see you all in another thread.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Chicago for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 21.06.2010, 16:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Its a common problem with people who read selective eras of history.

He jumped to the abolishing of slavery in 18th century by English, overlooking other cultures who had done that long before i.e. Arabs in early centuries.
Please excuse my ignorance, I did not know about this earlier abolition. Judging by the naval wars along the Barbary coast against the slaving ships, (conducted by the English and the Americans), it seems to have rather fallen on deaf ears.
An old geologist friend who is now retired worked for a long time in Saudi in the '70s and said that slave markets were seen as entirely normal there at the time. Slavery was only declared illegal there in 1962.

Having just been accused of racism above, I too am bugging out, barf...
My apologies Dervaish, I usually enjoy a free and frank exchange of ideas with you.

Cheers

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 21.06.2010, 16:12
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
"There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers." R. Reagan

Judaism and Christianity have much more in common with Hindu mysticism than the other religions that sprouted up with them in the same area at the same times. There is intriguing evidence that Jesus spent a long time in N. India.

Cheers

Jim
There is also intriguing evidence, or even the lack of, that a Man named Jesus ever existed.

I think we are now entering the twilight zone

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, i think he is a "white power" view of the world...he's playing the "El Gringo" bringing wealth and light to poor third world slaves.
Ignorance and arrogance is a very dangerous mix. Ignorance can be overcome by having information, but arrogance would deter a person from learning or changing.

I once read Plato's observations, when he used to sit in the market place and observe people. Some of the things he described could be exactly the same as what is happening today. Which is a good indication that human cultures or behaviours go in circles.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dervaish for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 21.06.2010, 16:16
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, I did not know about this earlier abolition. Judging by the naval wars along the Barbary coast against the slaving ships, (conducted by the English and the Americans), it seems to have rather fallen on deaf ears.
An old geologist friend who is now retired worked for a long time in Saudi in the '70s and said that slave markets were seen as entirely normal there at the time. Slavery was only declared illegal there in 1962.

Having just been accused of racism above, I too am bugging out, barf...
My apologies Dervaish, I usually enjoy a free and frank exchange of ideas with you.

Cheers

Jim
No problem mate, always a pleasure. Plus I dont mind aggressive comments either, so feel free
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
culture chris_c Introductions 0 13.04.2008 12:13
About culture and cultures? boccalino Forum support 7 19.03.2008 10:43
The Wasting Culture Salsa_Lover Daily life 15 12.11.2007 21:17
Culture Vultures Polorise Social events 2 28.05.2007 13:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0