Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 21.06.2010, 17:45
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

It's nice to see Maslow here. What I think will become an increasing trouble with our kids later on, it does not seem a continuum anymore from one level to the higher one. Majority seems to long for the physical need (hedonistic) and an ego satisfaction (street cred, prestige, etc.). I think it requires an active approach of the community to change that (parents, relatives, school, etc.).

I am tired of trendy pretended activism, though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 22.06.2010, 13:06
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 770
Groaned at 69 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 620 Times in 347 Posts
flavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputation
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Radical muslims "taking the piss" in Europe:
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 22.06.2010, 19:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich area
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Elise has earned some respectElise has earned some respect
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

The politically-correct so-called equality point is right on ... although I wonder how much it says for the development of western culture when the comparison is to cultures engaged in honour-killings, etc.

Also, how free are we really? -- and based on reports (ignored by conventional media) yet readily available on the internet alternative news, we're rapidly losing many of the freedoms we take for granted ... seems we have a long, long way to go ....
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 22.06.2010, 23:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
The politically-correct so-called equality point is right on ... although I wonder how much it says for the development of western culture when the comparison is to cultures engaged in honour-killings, etc.

Also, how free are we really? -- and based on reports (ignored by conventional media) yet readily available on the internet alternative news, we're rapidly losing many of the freedoms we take for granted ... seems we have a long, long way to go ....
we are really free. if you look at the reports (ignored by conventional media) yet readily available on the internet alternative news, we're rapidly gaining much more independence and freedom and this should be celebrated as human cultural development.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 23.06.2010, 00:48
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,412
Groaned at 365 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,615 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Also, how free are we really? -- and based on reports (ignored by conventional media) yet readily available on the internet alternative news, we're rapidly losing many of the freedoms we take for granted ... seems we have a long, long way to go ....
A prime example:


Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 23.06.2010, 10:04
Bertrand - Geneva
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever ?


What a JOKE !
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 23.06.2010, 10:09
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Welcome back Bertrand
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 23.06.2010, 10:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever ?


What a JOKE !
For anyone who's not a) white, b) male, and c) heterosexual, it's not a joke and all, and I'm sure they prefer to live right here and right now than at any other time and place in history.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 23.06.2010, 11:36
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 770
Groaned at 69 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 620 Times in 347 Posts
flavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputation
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever ?


What a JOKE !
Actually... yes, and I'm not laughing.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 23.06.2010, 12:08
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
For anyone who's not a) white, b) male, and c) heterosexual, it's not a joke and all, and I'm sure they prefer to live right here and right now than at any other time and place in history.

That wasn't what this thread was about. I don't see that either culture is better than the other, both have pluses and both have negatives. The thread stank of 'my .... is bigger and better than yours' and was juvenile in its assessment of the differences between culture here and culture else where.

Many people see what they want to see, not what is reality.

We are a family that is an integration of West and East and appreciate the many facets of both cultures. One does not have to be better than the other.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank portsmouth68 for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 23.06.2010, 12:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
That wasn't what this thread was about. I don't see that either culture is better than the other, both have pluses and both have negatives. The thread stank of 'my .... is bigger and better than yours' and was juvenile in its assessment of the differences between culture here and culture else where.

Many people see what they want to see, not what is reality.

We are a family that is an integration of West and East and appreciate the many facets of both cultures. One does not have to be better than the other.
acceptance of minorities absolutely is core to a culture, brush the question aside if you wish with an aloof "it's all just so childish to someone as clever as me" style response, however if you are one of said minorities you head to the most accepting culture, which is the current equal oppurtunites, equal rights, minority accepting one.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 23.06.2010, 12:51
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
acceptance of minorities absolutely is core to a culture, brush the question aside if you wish with an aloof "it's all just so childish to someone as clever as me" style response, however if you are one of said minorities you head to the most accepting culture, which is the current equal oppurtunites, equal rights, minority accepting one.
And which culture (not political establisment) does not accept minorities?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 23.06.2010, 12:56
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
acceptance of minorities absolutely is core to a culture, brush the question aside if you wish with an aloof "it's all just so childish to someone as clever as me" style response, however if you are one of said minorities you head to the most accepting culture, which is the current equal oppurtunites, equal rights, minority accepting one.
Whether that is true or not its doesn't mean that one culture is better than the other. How accepting of other religions do you think that Western Cultures are? Muslims, can't even build minarets here in Switzerland or is that something different?

That's the juvenile part of this debate. People see what they want to see.

Last edited by portsmouth68; 23.06.2010 at 13:51.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Whether that is true or not its doesn't mean that one culture is better than the other. That's the juvenile part of this debate.
We're not being juvenile about it. We're simply stating that a culture where people of all races, genders, and sexual orientations can live in harmony and equality might be preferrable for some. I don't see why you consider it so scandalous to use comparative qualifiers, that's just taking political correctness to the extreme. If being openly gay in one place can get you beheaded, and in another place not, then yeah, I'd say one society is better. Sorry for using the "b" word.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
And which culture (not political establisment) does not accept minorities?
Jamacian culture is not as accepting of homosexuality as other cultures.

Last edited by Mikers; 23.06.2010 at 13:13. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post

That's the juvenile part of this debate. People see what they want to see.
You've certainly got that bit right.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:14
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
We're not being juvenile about it. We're simply stating that a culture where people of all races, genders, and sexual orientations can live in harmony and equality might be preferrable for some. I don't see why you consider it so scandalous to use comparative qualifiers, that's just taking political correctness to the extreme. If being openly gay in one place can get you beheaded, and in another place not, then yeah, I'd say one society is better. Sorry for using the "b" word.
But hang on, being gay in the US can get you leached especially in the South, is this not part of the free society that you are dreaming off? In Thailand (the East) there is significant tolerance for men who would like to be ladies (commonly know as Kathoey) and most families will have at least one in their extended families. Would I be able to come to work as a man dressed in a skirt and make up and be accepted like I would be in Thailand. Probably not!

Not better, just different.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
But hang on, being gay in the US can get you leached especially in the South, is this not part of the free society that you are dreaming off? In Thailand (the East) there is significant tolerance for men who would like to be ladies (commonly know as Kathoey) and most families will have at least one in their extended families. Would I be able to come to work as a man dressed in a skirt and make up and be accepted like I would be in Thailand. Probably not!

Not better, just different.
But in England you could and - AND - we love all religions. Conclusion: British Culture is the best in the world!

Moderator please close thread.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:19
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
But in England you could and - AND - we love all religions. Conclusion: British Culture is the best in the world!

Moderator please close thread.
WTF - there is a valid discussion, what is it once its irrelevant to you the thread should be closed?

Perhaps this is the signs of oppressive cultural behaviour that is better?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 23.06.2010, 13:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
But hang on, being gay in the US can get you leached especially in the South, is this not part of the free society that you are dreaming off? In Thailand (the East) there is significant tolerance for men who would like to be ladies (commonly know as Kathoey) and most families will have at least one in their extended families. Would I be able to come to work as a man dressed in a skirt and make up and be accepted like I would be in Thailand. Probably not!

Not better, just different.
Hate crime and discrimination laws FTW.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
culture chris_c Introductions 0 13.04.2008 12:13
About culture and cultures? boccalino Forum support 7 19.03.2008 10:43
The Wasting Culture Salsa_Lover Daily life 15 12.11.2007 21:17
Culture Vultures Polorise Social events 2 28.05.2007 13:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0