Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 23.06.2010, 14:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
WTF - there is a valid discussion, what is it once its irrelevant to you the thread should be closed?

Perhaps this is the signs of oppressive cultural behaviour that is better?
It's a joke actually. A humerous spin on the idea that because england allows the two previous criteria, one of cross dressing and one of religeous acceptance it is therefore mthematically the "best" culture. Fortunately it seems the moderators do have an understanding of the idea of an anecdote and have not closed the thread.

To you of course its oppression. Western oppression of your culture no doubt. Because, make no mistake, you are the victim here.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 23.06.2010, 14:30
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
It's a joke actually. A humerous spin on the idea that because england allows the two previous criteria, one of cross dressing and one of religeous acceptance it is therefore mthematically the "best" culture. Fortunately it seems the moderators do have an understanding of the idea of an anecdote and have not closed the thread.

To you of course its oppression. Western oppression of your culture no doubt. Because, make no mistake, you are the victim here.
Actually I a born and bred English and hell, I'm white too... But I just appreciate other cultures and never took the attitude that one was better than the other.

As you say culture is about acceptance of others, their ideas and beliefs and throughout this thread those that have supported that Western culture was better have shown a lack of tolerance towards the beliefs of other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 23.06.2010, 14:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Actually I a born and bred English and hell, I'm white too... But I just appreciate other cultures and never took the attitude that one was better than the other.

As you say culture is about acceptance of others, their ideas and beliefs and throughout this thread those that have supported that Western culture was better have shown a lack of tolerance towards the beliefs of other cultures.
rubbish. lack of 'tolerance' ? what, because they like a particular culture wherever it is.

Germany one the eurovision song contest this year. Now given that each country judged the songs and chose, picked, selected which was best, under your criteria there wasnt a better song, there was simply a lack of tolerance of the other songs.

white and from england. funnily enough so am I. do you want a medal ?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 23.06.2010, 14:41
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
white and from england. funnily enough so am I. do you want a medal ?
No but when you referred to 'Western oppression of my culture' I felt that perhaps you were thinking that I was supporting Eastern culture for some patriotic reasoning....
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 23.06.2010, 14:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
No but when you referred to 'Western oppression of my culture' I felt that perhaps you were thinking that I was supporting Eastern culture for some patriotic reasoning....
Your are mistaken. I was simply responding to your anti-western culture example earlier around the minaret building example.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 23.06.2010, 14:56
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Your are mistaken. I was simply responding to your anti-western culture example earlier around the minaret building example.
Re-read the post, I wasn't and haven't been anti-Western, I see that there are many positives in the culture here. I highlighted that Westerners are not always as tolerant as we like to believe we are.

I neither advocate that the West or East have better cultures just that the many different cultures around the world have both positive and negative aspects.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:04
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Some more food for thought. List of countries by Failed States Index. I know it's not black and white but anyway......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_States_Index

1 ▬ Somalia 114.3 ▼ (0.44)
2 ▲ (2) Chad 113.3 ▲ (1.1)
3 ▬ Sudan 111.8 ▼ (0.6)
4 ▼ (2) Zimbabwe 110.2 ▼ (3.8)
5 ▬ Democratic Republic of the Congo 109.9 ▲ (1.2)
6 ▲ (1) Afghanistan 109.3 ▲ (1.1)
7 ▼ (1) Iraq 107.3 ▼ (1.3)
8 ▬ Central African Republic 106.4 ▲ (1.0)
9 ▬ Guinea 105.0 ▲ (0.4)
10 ▼ (1) Pakistan 102.5 ▼ (2.1)
11 ▲ (1) Haiti 101.6 ▼ (0.2)
12 ▼ (1) Côte d'Ivoire 101.2 ▼ (1.3)
13 ▲ (1) Kenya 100.7 ▼ (0.7)
14 ▲ (1) Nigeria 100.2 ▲ (0.4)
15 ▲ (3) Yemen 100.0 ▲ (1.9)
16 ▼ (3) Myanmar 99.4 ▼ (2.1)
17 ▼ (1) Ethiopia 98.8 ▼ (0.1)
18 ▲ (2) East Timor 98.2 ▲ (1.0)
19 ▼ (2) North Korea 97.8 ▼ (0.5)

Rank Country FSI
2010 Change compared to 2009 2010 Change compared to 2009
20 ▲ (4) Niger 97.8 ▲ (1.3)
21 ▬ Uganda 97.5 ▲ (0.6)
22 ▲ (5) Guinea-Bissau 97.2 ▲ (2.4)
23 ▲ (1) Burundi 96.7 ▲ (1.0)
24 ▼ (5) Bangladesh 96.1 ▼ (2.0)
25 ▼ (3) Sri Lanka 95.7 ▼ (1.0)
26 ▼ (1) Nepal 95.4 ▬
26 ▬ Cameroon 95.4 ▲ (0.1)
28 ▬ Malawi 93.6 ▼ (0.2)
28 ▲ (4) Sierra Leone 93.6 ▲ (1.5)
30 ▲ (6) Eritrea 93.3 ▲ (3.0)
31 ▼ (1) Republic of the Congo 92.5 ▼ (0.6)
32 ▲ (6) Iran 92.2 ▲ (2.2)
33 ▲ (1) Liberia 91.7 ▼ (0.1)
34 ▼ (5) Lebanon 90.9 ▼ (2.6)
35 ▬ Burkina Faso 90.7 ▼ (0.6)
36 ▼ (5) Uzbekistan 90.5 ▼ (2.3)
37 ▼ (4) Georgia
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:08
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
But I just appreciate other cultures and never took the attitude that one was better than the other.

As you say culture is about acceptance of others, their ideas and beliefs and throughout this thread those that have supported that Western culture was better have shown a lack of tolerance towards the beliefs of other cultures.
I appreciate good parts of other cultures too but I don't gloss over shocking parts as "oh! it's just part of their culture and we don't understand it" crap
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:10
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Some more food for thought. List of countries by Failed States Index. I know it's not black and white but anyway......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_States_Index
Does this mean that Japan [164] is better than Israel [54]
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:14
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Jamacian culture is not as accepting of homosexuality as other cultures.
Never been to Jamaica, but I can tell you about my country, a failed state, Paksitan... If you are gay in an affluent society/class, its considered fashionable. There is one cross dressing man/gay who is hosting a TV programme.

But if you are gay and from poor or rural parts of the country, yes you can end up in some sh!t.

So... Whats the cuture?

Quote:
View Post
Your are mistaken. I was simply responding to your anti-western culture example earlier around the minaret building example.
Well... would the locals be as tolerant say in a council state in UK?England?

The point you are missing is, Tolerance is highly correlated to material well being.

Again in my country, I know certain people who would never want to emigrate to West, and are more liberal than any western people.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:15
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Does this mean that Japan [164] is better than Israel [54]
Well if I had to choose where to live then Israel could be tempting. Free supply of sweet potatoes for me LOL

List was only to add fuel to the fire Can't argue with the top 20 in the list though......but Norway last? How does that work
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:18
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate good parts of other cultures too but I don't gloss over shocking parts as "oh! it's just part of their culture and we don't understand it" crap
I agree totally but I also don't understand some of the shocking aspects of Western culture too.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:22
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Well if I had to choose where to live then Israel could be tempting. Free supply of sweet potatoes for me LOL

List was only to add fuel to the fire Can't argue with the top 20 in the list though......but Norway last? How does that work
There were only three countries in thebottom twenty that i would like to live in.... and none in the top 24!!!
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
Never been to Jamaica, but I can tell you about my country, a failed state, Paksitan... If you are gay in an affluent society/class, its considered fashionable. There is one cross dressing man/gay who is hosting a TV programme.

But if you are gay and from poor or rural parts of the country, yes you can end up in some sh!t.

So... Whats the cuture?



Well... would the locals be as tolerant say in a council state in UK?England?

The point you are missing is, Tolerance is highly correlated to material well being.

Again in my country, I know certain people who would never want to emigrate to West, and are more liberal than any western people.
I am not discussing pakistani culture here, we are using Jamacia as an example, could you respond in that context please.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:35
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
....but I can tell you about my country, a failed state, Paksitan... If you are gay in an affluent society/class, its considered fashionable.


.......and are more liberal than any western people.
That is bollocks mate and kind of proves my point that you are looking at things through patriotic/culturally/religiously biased eyes ie. "you see what you want to see" as Porty put it

Tiny upper middle class is not what truly defines Pakistan or any similar society. Society as a whole is what counts. You think a gay guy who says he rejects Allah openly would be considered fashionable in Pakistan?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:44
Morrell's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 38
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morrell has no particular reputation at present
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

meh,
coming from North America and seeing what Europe has to offer has changed my mind about the western world and it's lifestyle.


North America is large and unnecessary... to some extent.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
There were only three countries in thebottom twenty that i would like to live in.... and none in the top 24!!!
your showing a lack of tolerance for the top 24 countries there. try and be a bit more accepting please.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #118  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:47
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
meh,
coming from North America and seeing what Europe has to offer has changed my mind about the western world and it's lifestyle.


North America is large and unnecessary... to some extent.
America is overrated. Everyone knows that
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
I am not discussing pakistani culture here, we are using Jamacia as an example, could you respond in that context please.
I did... I said never been to Jamaica hence I cannot comment. In my example I was just trying to highlight even within one country there are vast cultural differences.

Quote:
View Post
That is bollocks mate and kind of proves my point that you are looking at things through patriotic/culturally/religiously biased eyes ie. "you see what you want to see" as Porty put it

Tiny upper middle class is not what truly defines Pakistan or any similar society. Society as a whole is what counts. You think a gay guy who says he rejects Allah openly would be considered fashionable in Pakistan?
Here it is: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-1825925.html

This guy obviously did'nt get killed. There are gay pick up guys operating in parts of Karachi (expensive parts) ... They did'nt killed either.

Yes.. tiny upper middle class does not represt it, but if the uppder middle class was to expand, economic well being, the sentiment culture would expand also.

Which was my original point... culture is often influenced by material well being.

Rejecting Allah, God and religion openly, would seriously depend upon which neighbourhood you open your mouth in.

In some parts you can indulge in "Yo Momma" kind of jokes and in some parts you can get shot point blank for saying a word about someone's family.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 23.06.2010, 15:48
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modern western culture superior to any other culture ever?

Quote:
View Post
your showing a lack of tolerance for the top 24 countries there. try and be a bit more accepting please.
I didn't say that I thought the others were better just different....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank portsmouth68 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
culture chris_c Introductions 0 13.04.2008 13:13
About culture and cultures? boccalino Forum support 7 19.03.2008 11:43
The Wasting Culture Salsa_Lover Daily life 15 12.11.2007 22:17
Culture Vultures Polorise Social events 2 28.05.2007 14:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0