English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   Yet again the Met get away with manslaughter [was murder] (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/89258-yet-again-met-get-away-manslaughter-murder.html)

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 17:47

Yet again the Met get away with manslaughter [was murder]
 
SOURCE

A police officer who was filmed pushing a man to the ground during the G20 protests will not face charges over his death.

Ian Tomlinson, 47, died after being caught up in the clashes on 1 April 2009 in the City of London.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer said there was no prospect of conviction because experts could not agree on how Mr Tomlinson died.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 17:58

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
nor should in my opinion. He clearly provokes being pushed out of the way and the cop doesn not push that hard with intend to kill.

Sad he died but in my opinion nothing should have been brought against the cop

22.07.2010 18:02

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 884402)
SOURCE

A police officer who was filmed pushing a man to the ground during the G20 protests will not face charges over his death.

Ian Tomlinson, 47, died after being caught up in the clashes on 1 April 2009 in the City of London.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer said there was no prospect of conviction because experts could not agree on how Mr Tomlinson died.

OK, "murder" is a bit strong, but certainly the cop should be fired, if not even serve some time behind bars. He didn't intend to do the guy harm, but if I push someone and he falls and dies, I go to jail. So should the cop.

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:04

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 884439)
OK, "murder" is a bit strong, but certainly the cop should be fired, if not even serve some time behind bars. He didn't intend to do the guy harm, but if I push someone and he falls and dies, I go to jail. So should the cop.

Perhaps so, I tried to play on words, but to face no charges at all is disgraceful.
Was he even disciplined ?

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:06

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884428)
nor should in my opinion. He clearly provokes being pushed out of the way and the cop doesn not push that hard with intend to kill.

Sad he died but in my opinion nothing should have been brought against the cop

Surely you don't believe he provoked the cop ?
He was an innocent newspaper seller trying to get home. The Cops were up for it. A man died as a result of harsh unnecessary treatment. Justice dictates that action is taken.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:08

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Why should he. The guy is obviously provoking even though somewhere in the article it says he is no part of it. If he wasn't he could have easily gone behind the police line and walked away. And it seems he had enough medical conditions to add to it.

It is bad enough police cant carry a gun anymore and get pushed around all the time. Now they should be charged for pushing someone who is clearly provoking a reaction???

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:10

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884454)
pushing someone who is clearly provoking a reaction???


Did we watch the same video ??? How on Earth can you say he provoked them ?

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:10

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 884451)
Surely you don't believe he provoked the cop ?
He was an innocent newspaper seller trying to get home. The Cops were up for it. A man died as a result of harsh unnecessary treatment. Justice dictates that action is taken.


I read this post after:
You do not see the cops saying to get out away with a dog biting his ankles....

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:12

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 884461)
Did we watch the same video ??? How on Earth can you say he provoked them ?


And of course the cops are up for it. It is a demonstration rally whatever. They need to treat everyone there the same unless he makes it clear he has no business there or with them and walk the other way.

Guest 22.07.2010 18:13

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884428)
nor should in my opinion. He clearly provokes being pushed out of the way and the cop doesn not push that hard with intend to kill.

Sad he died but in my opinion nothing should have been brought against the cop

What a stupid statement. Police are there to help and support the general public, not push them or intimidate them in any way. And what rubbish you are talking, the Brutish policeman pushes the guy to the ground, in the back! 2 out of 3 autopsies confirmed that a violent event brought a long term illness to a terminal conclusion, but as was dealt with in the 'Peach' case, the health of the individual does not grant the offender carte blanche to commit murder. He was not part of the riot and Britain is not a police state, you pay your taxes, you have the right to walk down the street when ever you like, so the 'provoking' affirmation is baseless.
And it was an attack because the policeman was not in any danger nor protecting himself, it was a proactive action of violence by the police, one of many that day.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:18

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884469)
What a stupid statement. Police are there to help and support the general public, not push them or intimidate them in any way. And what rubbish you are talking, the Brutish policeman pushes the guy to the ground, in the back! 2 out of 3 autopsies confirmed that a violent event brought a long term illness to a terminal conclusion, but as was dealt with in the 'Peach' case, the health of the individual does not grant the offendercarte blanche to commit murder. He was not part of the riot and Britain is not a police state, you pay your taxes, you have the right to walk down the street when ever you like, so the 'provoking' affirmation is baseless.
And it was an attack because the policeman was not in any danger nor protecting himself, it was a proactive action of violence by the police, one of many that day.


You do not have the right to keep walking if the cop tells you not to. Thats the way it is even in England and because of crap like this Police doesnt get respect anymore.

I am saying if he was not part of it, he could have walked behind the line or whatever. The whole riot was a treat to the police and general public and he was considered to be part of it.

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:19

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884477)
You do not have the right to keep walking if the cop tells you not to. Thats the way it is even in England and because of crap like this Police doesnt get respect anymore.

I am saying if he was not part of it, he could have walked behind the line or whatever. The whole riot was a treat to the police and general public and he was considered to be part of it.

He was walking away from the cops with his hands in his pockets !!!
How more harmless do you want a victim to be ? He worked in the area and was going on his usual route home.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:23

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 884483)
He was walking away from the cops with his hands in his pockets !!!
How more harmless do you want a victim to be ? He worked in the area and was going on his usual route home.


You do not know what he said (nor do I ) but it was clear in my eyes he was not working with the police and therefor seen as a protester>threat>pushed out of the way. cop did so with minimal force(a good push but not that strong) the guy simply fell over and ......

You want cops to ask nicely for protesters, thieves, etc to stop doing it and be on their way? oh wait thats what todays society has already come to....

Any other takers for the discussion? just dont want to turn this into a pissing match again as both our minds are made up....

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:24

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884487)
You do not know what he said (nor do I ) but it was clear in my eyes he was not working with the police and therefor seen as a protester>threat>pushed out of the way. cop did so with minimal force(a good push but not that strong) the guy simply fell over and ......

You want cops to ask nicely for protesters, thieves, etc to stop doing it and be on their way? oh wait thats what todays society has already come to....

Delusional claptrap.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:25

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 884490)
Delusional claptrap.


I see if that is the direction you would like to take this debate in then F of seriously.

Papa Goose 22.07.2010 18:29

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884469)
What a stupid statement. Police are there to help and support the general public, not push them or intimidate them in any way. And what rubbish you are talking, the Brutish policeman pushes the guy to the ground, in the back! 2 out of 3 autopsies confirmed that a violent event brought a long term illness to a terminal conclusion, but as was dealt with in the 'Peach' case, the health of the individual does not grant the offender carte blanche to commit murder. He was not part of the riot and Britain is not a police state, you pay your taxes, you have the right to walk down the street when ever you like, so the 'provoking' affirmation is baseless.
And it was an attack because the policeman was not in any danger nor protecting himself, it was a proactive action of violence by the police, one of many that day.

Oh please, that day the police were under a lot of strain and suffered enough of the attacks you mentioned during that period. Certainly the video's shown depict the rozzers in the worst possible light, but that sells news print. Police are human and can make mistakes or act in a way that in hind sight and from the comfort of an arm chair can be singled out as terrible.

I don't believe that the police should be immediately subject to the same process as civilians. In the broader context, if during riots or disturbances the police cannot act (mostly well within reason) for fear of prosecution, they will do nothing (bystanders refusing to give 1st aid syndrome), then when the sh1t hits the fan they be accused of standing by and doing nothing.... so either way they are damned.

Should the cop face an internal disciplinary panel certainly, and be punished accordingly. If he'd have laid into the guy, criminal action definately, but he pushed the guy to move him along, from which the poor guy died. So tragic, but not murder.

Guest 22.07.2010 18:32

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884477)
You do not have the right to keep walking if the cop tells you not to. Thats the way it is even in England and because of crap like this Police doesnt get respect anymore.

I am saying if he was not part of it, he could have walked behind the line or whatever. The whole riot was a treat to the police and general public and he was considered to be part of it.

You, friend, are an idiot, if you believe the words you so vehemently utter. But because you are quite obviously a foreigner unused to British politics I give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to listen to your more moderate, (and British) peers.

We invented the Police, and we ultimately control their actions and pay their wages, that is why they must call us ‘sir’, it may not be the case in the rest of Europe or America, but it is the case in Britain. We have no curfew or police controlled state, a police man can only issue orders to a member of the public if he has good reason to believe he is involved in or abetting criminal actions, the same goes for arrest and stopping and searching.
The protesters where ‘kettled’ pregnant women and people going to and from work where illegally detained in the street for up to 12 hours, nobody in the ‘kettle’ could leave, which is an abuse of police power in itself.

Hot tip – get the facts, and learn basic spelling / grammatical syntax

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:33

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 884496)
Oh please, that day the police were under a lot of strain and suffered enough of the attacks you mentioned during that period. Certainly the video's shown depict the rozzers in the worst possible light, but that sells news print. Police are human and can make mistakes or act in a way that in hind sight and from the comfort of an arm chair can be singled out as terrible.

I don't believe that the police should be immediately subject to the same process as civilians. In the broader context, if during riots or disturbances the police cannot act (mostly well within reason) for fear of prosecution, they will do nothing (bystanders refusing to give 1st aid syndrome), then when the sh1t hits the fan they be accused of standing by and doing nothing.... so either way they are damned.

Should the cop face an internal disciplinary panel certainly, and be punished accordingly. If he'd have laid into the guy, criminal action definately, but he pushed the guy to move him along, from which the poor guy died. So tragic, but not murder.

As I corrected myself earlier on, Murder was a play on words. Clearly , as a man died as a result of unwarranted Police action, the lesser crime of Manslaughter is easier and safer to apply.

The police are subject to the same laws and rules as us, i.e. we all have to act within the law. Have a good look at that area and time in the video, people are smiling , laughing and bantering. The police were standing by looking calm and having no need to act. Note the lack of riot shields and riot Police. There were no riots there.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:35

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884498)
You, friend, are an idiot, if you believe the words you so vehemently utter. But because you are quite obviously a foreigner unused to British politics I give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to listen to your more moderate, (and British) peers.

We invented the Police, and we ultimately control their actions and pay their wages, that is why they must call us ‘sir’, it may not be the case in the rest of Europe or America, but it is the case in Britain. We have no curfew or police controlled state, a police man can only issue orders to a member of the public if he has good reason to believe he is involved in or abetting criminal actions, the same goes for arrest and stopping and searching.
The protesters where ‘kettled’ pregnant women and people going to and from work where illegally detained in the street for up to 12 hours, nobody in the ‘kettle’ could leave, which is an abuse of police power in itself.

Hot tip – get the facts, and learn basic spelling / grammatical syntax

I hope one day you will need to police and they will not be there.

As far as the spelling goes...can you read, write and speak 3 languages and intermediately speak 2 other? When you do then feel free to comment.


BACK ON TOPIC

22.07.2010 18:35

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 884496)
Oh please, that day the police were under a lot of strain and suffered enough of the attacks you mentioned during that period. Certainly the video's shown depict the rozzers in the worst possible light, but that sells news print. Police are human and can make mistakes or act in a way that in hind sight and from the comfort of an arm chair can be singled out as terrible.

I don't believe that the police should be immediately subject to the same process as civilians. In the broader context, if during riots or disturbances the police cannot act (mostly well within reason) for fear of prosecution, they will do nothing (bystanders refusing to give 1st aid syndrome), then when the sh1t hits the fan they be accused of standing by and doing nothing.... so either way they are damned.

Should the cop face an internal disciplinary panel certainly, and be punished accordingly. If he'd have laid into the guy, criminal action definately, but he pushed the guy to move him along, from which the poor guy died. So tragic, but not murder.

Certainly not murder, you're right. We all do things in the heat of the moment. Maybe you loose it and hit someone. Maybe he's an epileptic and you didn't know and he has a fit and dies. You're going to jail. It's terrible for you too, but thats the way it goes.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884477)
You do not have the right to keep walking if the cop tells you not to. Thats the way it is even in England and because of crap like this Police doesnt get respect anymore.

I am saying if he was not part of it, he could have walked behind the line or whatever. The whole riot was a treat to the police and general public and he was considered to be part of it.

Oh god. Yes you do have the right to keep walking whatever the police say. Why on earth should police be given any more respect than anyone else? Walking in front of a line rather than behind it does not mean you forfeit your life. What's it like to see the world in such simplistic terms? I hope you never accidentally walk left when the sign says right. The world will surely end.

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:35

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
The Police may not interfere with a citizen going about his lawful business.

22.07.2010 18:36

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884498)
You, friend, are an idiot, if you believe the words you so vehemently utter. But because you are quite obviously a foreigner unused to British politics I give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to listen to your more moderate, (and British) peers.

We invented the Police, and we ultimately control their actions and pay their wages, that is why they must call us ‘sir’, it may not be the case in the rest of Europe or America, but it is the case in Britain. We have no curfew or police controlled state, a police man can only issue orders to a member of the public if he has good reason to believe he is involved in or abetting criminal actions, the same goes for arrest and stopping and searching.
The protesters where ‘kettled’ pregnant women and people going to and from work where illegally detained in the street for up to 12 hours, nobody in the ‘kettle’ could leave, which is an abuse of police power in itself.

Hot tip – get the facts, and learn basic spelling / grammatical syntax

Please stop insulting people you disagree with. His spelling has nothing to do with the veracity of his argument.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:41

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 884504)
Why on earth should police be given any more respect than anyone else? Walking in front of a line rather than behind it does not mean you forfeit your life. What's it like to see the world in such simplistic terms? I hope you never accidentally walk left when the sign says right. The world will surely end.


Cause the police are the ones that will clear up the murder, the mess, the riot, the whatever. Because they need to put themselves in situations every day where I would rather not be in, nor would you I assume. Thats why I give them respect and I wish more people would as I for one do not like to walk alone in big cities (speaking from experience). As a citizen of a country it is your duty to obey the law and the police is the voice and face of the law, therefore giving them more authority.

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:42

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884512)
the police is the voice and face of the law, therefore giving them more authority.

I think Parliament and the Courts would disagree.

Also,doing a fine job job does not excuse them from when things go badly wrong.

Guest 22.07.2010 18:43

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884503)
Well you are as dumb as you look from your pic.....I hope one day you will need to police and they will not be there.

As far as the spelling goes...can you read, write and speak 3 languages and intermediately speak 2 other? When you do then feel free to comment.


BACK ON TOPIC

Ad hominem rebuttals will not be tolerated

22.07.2010 18:45

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884512)
Cause the police are the ones that will clear up the murder, the mess, the riot, the whatever. Because they need to put themselves in situations every day where I would rather not be in, nor would you I assume. Thats why I give them respect and I wish more people would as I for one do not like to walk alone in big cities (speaking from experience). As a citizen of a country it is your duty to obey the law and the police is the voice and face of the law, therefore giving them more authority.

Yes, but there is a line to be drawn. The police may have the responsibility of upholding and enforcing the law but they are not the law - we are. The police do not have greater civil or human rights than anyone else, and they are not allowed to interfere with people going about their rightful business. They chose their jobs as do we all - I respect police as much as I respect firemen - both dangerous jobs that save people's lives. However I would not tolerate being manhandled by a fireman, so why would a policeman get away with it?

22.07.2010 18:45

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884514)
Ad hominem rebuttals will not be tolerated

But that's YOU. (you called him an idiot)

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:46

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884514)
Ad hominem rebuttals will not be tolerated


Get back to the discussion and stop being a baby.

Dont give what you cant take!

And quit groaning at people in every post.

Ouchboy 22.07.2010 18:46

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884512)
Cause the police are the ones that will clear up the murder, the mess, the riot, the whatever. Because they need to put themselves in situations every day where I would rather not be in, nor would you I assume. Thats why I give them respect and I wish more people would as I for one do not like to walk alone in big cities (speaking from experience). As a citizen of a country it is your duty to obey the law and the police is the voice and face of the law, therefore giving them more authority.

I'm sorry sir, but at the end they are public servants, and as such they are ones who have the biggest burden to uphold the law and serve and protect the citizens which they represent/ lay watch on.

The guy is clearly not a threat, he might be noncomplaint, but he is non confrontational or threatening in any physical way.There is no grounds on that video for such a violent push without the, I would say typical, restrain of the individual and search for concealed weapons (if he was a threat).

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:48

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 884516)
Yes, but there is a line to be drawn. The police may have the responsibility of upholding and enforcing the law but they are not the law - we are. The police do not have greater civil or human rights than anyone else, and they are not allowed to interfere with people going about their rightful business. They chose their jobs as do we all - I respect police as much as I respect firemen - both dangerous jobs that save people's lives. However I would not tolerate being manhandled by a fireman, so why would a policeman get away with it?


And unless we know what he said previous to the police I think we will not come out of this discussion. Good one though with a few bumps along the way!

Guest 22.07.2010 18:49

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 884517)
But that's YOU. (you called him an idiot)

I didn't actually, I said he would be an idiot if he believed the words he said, if you read my post clearly, plus, you misunderstand ad hominem.

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:50

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884526)
I didn't actually, I said he would be an idiot if he believed the words he said, if you read my post clearly, plus, you misunderstand ad hominem.


Did He: An ad hominem argument, or argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument against the man [or person]"), is a fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by attempting to discredit the person offering the argument or assertion. Ad hominem rebuttals are one of the best-known of propagandist tactics.


I agree I threw one back right at you.
And of course I believe what I write, why else would I bring it into discussion?

Upthehatters2008 22.07.2010 18:52

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884531)
Did He: An ad hominem argument, or argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument against the man [or person]"), is a fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by attempting to discredit the person offering the argument or assertion. Ad hominem rebuttals are one of the best-known of propagandist tactics.


I agree I threw one back right at you.
And of course I believe what I write, why else would I bring it into discussion?

To all hominems , this is going officus topicus, please re-enter the original debate.

22.07.2010 18:53

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884526)
I didn't actually, I said he would be an idiot if he believed the words he said, if you read my post clearly, plus, you misunderstand ad hominem.

Ad hominem by threat.

And you seem far too full of yourself. You're almost certainly a graduate student. And boring.

Guest 22.07.2010 18:57

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 884531)
Did He: An ad hominem argument, or argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument against the man [or person]"), is a fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by attempting to discredit the person offering the argument or assertion. Ad hominem rebuttals are one of the best-known of propagandist tactics.


I agree I threw one back right at you.
And of course I believe what I write, why else would I bring it into discussion?

I didn't call you an idiot, read my post again, plus any way you said I looked like an idiot, that is a baseless assumption, I made an accurate assumption based on your idiotic posts, and then didn't apply my assumption because I would rather give you the benefit of the doubt. Your rebuttal was ad hominem, mine wasn't, but wasn't applied, so you can't even call it an insult...understand?

Anthony1406 22.07.2010 18:59

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884538)
I didn't call you an idiot, read my post again, plus any way you said I looked like an idiot, that is a baseless assumption, I made an accurate assumption based on your idiotic posts, and then didn't apply my assumption because I would rather give you the benefit of the doubt. Your rebuttal was ad hominem, mine wasn't, but wasn't applied, so you can't even call it an insult...understands?


Lets get over it and back OT (its the internet, words are lost without interaction...and lets leave it at that)

NotAllThere 22.07.2010 19:12

Re: Yet again the Met get away with manslaughter [was murder]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 884514)
Ad hominem rebuttals will not be tolerated

Hah! Who died and made you mod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 884439)
OK, "murder" is a bit strong, but certainly the cop should be fired, if not even serve some time behind bars. He didn't intend to do the guy harm, but if I push someone and he falls and dies, I go to jail. So should the cop.

If you push someone over, and they die, you'll only be prosecuted if there is sufficient evidence to indicate that the one caused the other. You'll only do time, if it is proven that the push caused the death. If it can't be proven, then you can only be prosecuted for assault.

It would be incredibly difficult to prosecute a cop for assault, given that legally, they are allowed to use force to get you to do what they want.

Slaphead 22.07.2010 19:29

Re: Yet again the Met get away with manslaughter [was murder]
 
I've got half a mind to close this thread already, but the other half is saying this could be a worthwhile discussion. That is a discussion, not an argument, nor a mud slinging session.

Let's keep it civil guys.

Papa Goose 22.07.2010 19:38

Re: Yet again the Met get away with murder.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 884500)
As I corrected myself earlier on, Murder was a play on words. Clearly , as a man died as a result of unwarranted Police action, the lesser crime of Manslaughter is easier and safer to apply.

The police are subject to the same laws and rules as us, i.e. we all have to act within the law. Have a good look at that area and time in the video, people are smiling , laughing and bantering. The police were standing by looking calm and having no need to act. Note the lack of riot shields and riot Police. There were no riots there.

I know, just speaking my mind;)

They should be accountable absolutely, BUT, the management of the law with regard to police I believe should be handled differently for the boys in blue.... and that doesn't mean ignored or covered up.

Clarejane 22.07.2010 20:04

Re: Yet again the Met get away with manslaughter [was murder]
 
Years ago the police were respected and parents were quite willing to allow the local bobby to giv a clip round the ear to any local youngster that was misbehaving. Oh how times change!

Viewing this footage for myself and having just seen the news this evening, I have to say I think this PC overstepped the mark. It wasn't murder as some of you have already said. This gentleman was coming home, walking with his back to the police line and this policeman actually comes forward to shove him. Not a protrayal of the police I would like my son to see as don't we always tell our kids, 'if you need help, go to the policeman'?

This could also be an unfortunate incident with regards the policeman being pumped up because of the situation and being overzealous in his judgement with this particular guy. Regardless this man has to life with the fact that his actions may well have contributed to someone losing their life. They could not prosecute as the so called medical experts could not agree the cause of death. This policeman who has been named is going to carry this around with him for the rest of his life. I just hope that on reflection he is big enough to learn from what happened or leave the Police Force, if he isn't forced out.

Like everyone else the police are paid to do a job, they have strict guidelines and if these are not adhered to then steps should be take to make sure they do. Violence from a police officer in any capacity should not be tolerated. It is irrelevant what name you want to give its just not acceptable.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:16.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0