Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 21.01.2011, 14:57
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
What's all this talk about PG Tips and Tetley (tea). Proper northerners only drink Yorkshire Gold.
If only we knew a purveyer of British comestibles that could stock such a thing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 21.01.2011, 15:36
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,454
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 22,594 Times in 9,232 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello

Know the area well. The pubs mostly Probanly spent a bit too much time in them when I was younger.

Quote:
View Post
Eeh, by 'eck. I missed this.

Another Tyke. Welcome to the forum. There's quite a few of us now.

Mirfield - From Mirfield, near Lower Hopton.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 21.01.2011, 17:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
yorkshiremum1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
and another Yorkie from north Leeds. What's all this talk about PG Tips and Tetley (tea). Proper northerners only drink Yorkshire Gold.
I only prefer coffee now those tea day's are long gone
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 23.01.2011, 17:33
Swissoconnors's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nidwalden
Posts: 185
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 72 Posts
Swissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputation
Re: Hello

Mmmm Yorkshire Gold. We get ours brought over by the (grand)parents.

Welcome Yorkshiremum. My husband is from Wakefield and we both studied at Hull. Now we're in Nidwalden, not quite the same!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 25.01.2011, 15:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
yorkshiremum1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
Mmmm Yorkshire Gold. We get ours brought over by the (grand)parents.

Welcome Yorkshiremum. My husband is from Wakefield and we both studied at Hull. Now we're in Nidwalden, not quite the same!
Hello and thanks for the welcome and where abouts is Nidwalden, I'm sure that I've heard about it but can't quite place it? How long have you and your husband lived out here?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 25.01.2011, 17:43
Swissoconnors's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nidwalden
Posts: 185
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 72 Posts
Swissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputation
Re: Hello

Central Switzerland, south of Luzern. We've been here for six years and have a love-hate relationship with it. More love than hate, usually. How are you finding your area? Must be so nice living somewhere where the language is learnable...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 26.01.2011, 15:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
yorkshiremum1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
Central Switzerland, south of Luzern. We've been here for six years and have a love-hate relationship with it. More love than hate, usually. How are you finding your area? Must be so nice living somewhere where the language is learnable...
It's alright but there isn't many people speaking English apart from a few family members. I moved here in 2005 and as you say it can be a love-hate relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 26.01.2011, 16:28
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello

CH is a bit boring...does anybody else share my views?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lejoker for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 26.01.2011, 17:08
suzybg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edinburgh/ Basel
Posts: 487
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 266 Times in 153 Posts
suzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of many
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
CH is a bit boring...does anybody else share my views?
YES!! Otherwise it would be nearly perfect. We just moved to Basel from Scotland and have decided to keep a flat in Scotland and just have a small 1 bed flat in Basel so we can go back every other weekend for a bit of nightlife (thank you easyjet ). We do like walking and cycling so hopefully in the spring/summer it will be a bit more interesting. I think I may need to invest in some board games and a deck of cards to keep us occupied over the winter
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank suzybg for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 27.01.2011, 18:01
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
YES!! Otherwise it would be nearly perfect. We just moved to Basel from Scotland and have decided to keep a flat in Scotland and just have a small 1 bed flat in Basel so we can go back every other weekend for a bit of nightlife (thank you easyjet ). We do like walking and cycling so hopefully in the spring/summer it will be a bit more interesting. I think I may need to invest in some board games and a deck of cards to keep us occupied over the winter
I know right! I wish I could do that...
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 27.01.2012, 15:22
Melanie G's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Melanie G has slipped a little
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

Well I've just discovered this forum today after living in the canton of Fribourg a while lol It would be nice to converse with some other English speaking people.
Also from Yorkshire, I live in Yverdon
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 27.01.2012, 19:30
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
I've even been there. My uncle 'defected' and movedover the border to live in Bury so we had to venture over t'other side sometimes.
Isn't it a small world? Hubby and I were both born in Bury and lived in and around (don't laugh) Ramsbottom before moving to Switzerland!

Welcome to the forum Yorkshiremum1!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 27.01.2012, 19:41
Dan of the dead's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Adlikon ZH
Posts: 280
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 262 Times in 107 Posts
Dan of the dead has earned the respect of manyDan of the dead has earned the respect of manyDan of the dead has earned the respect of many
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
Isn't it a small world? Hubby and I were both born in Bury and lived in and around (don't laugh) Ramsbottom before moving to Switzerland!

Welcome to the forum Yorkshiremum1!
Ramsbottom? Could be worse; WETWANG?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dan of the dead for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 27.01.2012, 19:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hello

Welcome all. So Yverdon and Estavayer - we should try and have a girls day out at the spa in Yverdon soon. I am just over the Jura, on the Neuch side. Anybody interested in joining BelgianMum and me doing a bit of gentle cross country skiing Monday week (6th) up in Les Rasses (there is a hire shop there - I can pick up from St Croix station).

And one day when Spring returns I should take you for a walk at the Creux du Van, so you can admire a real old Yorkshire tractor- BelgianMum got so excited when she saw it (??!!??), lol.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 28.01.2012, 00:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
CH is a bit boring...does anybody else share my views?
No. This country is full of interesting things to do. I tend to think that those who claim that the country is boring are, in fact, probably being rather boring themselves. My problem is that there is not enough time for me to do all that I would like to do here.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 28.01.2012, 00:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
YES!! Otherwise it would be nearly perfect. We just moved to Basel from Scotland and have decided to keep a flat in Scotland and just have a small 1 bed flat in Basel so we can go back every other weekend for a bit of nightlife (thank you easyjet ). We do like walking and cycling so hopefully in the spring/summer it will be a bit more interesting. I think I may need to invest in some board games and a deck of cards to keep us occupied over the winter
Winter in Basel: gyms, movies, cycling, skiing ( well, not in the city, but easily doable for day trips) concerts, balls, nightclubs, book clubs, pub evenings, dancing (tango, salsa, folk, oldtime, 80's, hiphop....)museums, hiking, yoga, hockey, iceskating, explore the food and culture of other cantons, shopping trips over the border, whitewater kayaking over the border ( by just 10 minutes) dinner clubs, swimming and thermal relaxation, several running clubs, casino evenings with free entertainment at times ......... Take the time to learn German and I am sure that you will become aware of heaps of other things to do as well. ( I would too )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank biff for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 28.01.2012, 09:19
Melanie G's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Melanie G has slipped a little
Re: Hello

Quote:
Welcome all. So Yverdon and Estavayer - we should try and have a girls day out at the spa in Yverdon soon. I am just over the Jura, on the Neuch side. Anybody interested in joining BelgianMum and me doing a bit of gentle cross country skiing Monday week (6th) up in Les Rasses (there is a hire shop there - I can pick up from St Croix station).

And one day when Spring returns I should take you for a walk at the Creux du Van, so you can admire a real old Yorkshire tractor- BelgianMum got so excited when she saw it (??!!??), lol.
I live just over the road from the spa, that would be great and I'd be interested in the walk. I used to go skiing at Les Rasses but it's out for me at the moment because of a knee injury
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 28.01.2012, 21:15
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,454
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 22,594 Times in 9,232 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello

Quote:
Welcome all. So Yverdon and Estavayer - we should try and have a girls day out at the spa in Yverdon soon. I am just over the Jura, on the Neuch side.

And one day when Spring returns I should take you for a walk at the Creux du Van, so you can admire a real old Yorkshire tractor- BelgianMum got so excited when she saw it (??!!??), lol.
Ah yes but it wasn't just any tractor it was a DAVID BROWN tractor built in the village where I grew up.

So Yverdon, Estavayer and Thielle, we just need somebody on the Neuchatel side of the lake and us Yorkshire girls will have Lake Neuchâtel surrounded.


Quote:
View Post
I live just over the road from the spa, that would be great and I'd be interested in the walk. I used to go skiing at Les Rasses but it's out for me at the moment because of a knee injury
Would be happy to meet up any time. I might be in the same position as you with regards to the knees after Monday.
Since I'm at the top of the lake and you're at the bottom somewhere inbetween would be good.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 29.01.2012, 00:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hello

Can I join in - the Jura and Yorkshire are like twins really - always loved the Yorkshire Dales - and Malham Cove is the Creux-du-Van's twin sister.
When our kids were little we often went to a great Youth Hostel called 'Bugger All' (or was it Boggle Hole).
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 29.01.2012, 17:05
eddiejc1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derwood, MD USA
Posts: 1,005
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 684 Times in 372 Posts
eddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Hello

Quote:
View Post
CH is a bit boring...does anybody else share my views?
The Chinese would curse someone by saying "May you live in interesting times." Perhaps you should feel fortunate that CH is boring?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yorkshire




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0